Anthony Mason dead at 48
Author Thread
KNICKSBIGCATS
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3745

2/28/2015  7:03 PM
Very sad. Gone much too soon.
RIP, MASE.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships." -Michael Jordan
AUTOADVERT
blkexec
Member: #748
2/28/2015  7:41 PM
QUEENS FINEST......
Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
Finestrg
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1069

2/28/2015  7:46 PM
RIP to one of my all-time favorite Knicks. Very sad day.
FistOfOakley
Member: #3075

2/28/2015  9:26 PM
when are we ever gonna see a guy like mase again... sad day in knick land...
Syniko
Member: #3969

3/2/2015  12:03 AM
Only 3 pages for Mase? Appalling. I was expecting 30.
NumberTwoPencil
Member: #481
USA
3/2/2015  1:44 AM    LAST EDITED: 3/2/2015  1:44 AM
Yeah, Mase deserves more. (I did catch that Knicks halftime video tribute . . . and it was lame.)

Mase vs. Olajuwon!

JesseDark
Member: #467
3/2/2015  7:51 AM
Syniko wrote:Only 3 pages for Mase? Appalling. I was expecting 30.

+1

Bring back dee-fense
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
3/2/2015  8:30 AM
JesseDark wrote:

+1

I think the problem is there aren't as many people here on UK with the current knicks stinking things up so awfully.

Mase was everything New Yorkers look for - gritty, determined- folks that step above their perceived skills through force of will.

Some of the current knicks remind me a bit of those 90's knicks - guys that probably don't really belong in the league, but who are hungry and take full advantage of the opportunity to prove they're basketball players.

DrAlphaeus
Alba Posts: 10
Member: #1781

3/2/2015  8:35 AM
Mase passing really sucks. I didn't realize he was less than 10 years older than me. Those 90s teams seem to fade further and further away. I need to watch some of those old playoff games. Gone too soon.
Baba Booey 2016 — "It's Silly Season"
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/2/2015  8:57 AM    LAST EDITED: 3/2/2015  8:59 AM
JesseDark wrote:

+1

Whats to say. Plenty has been written about him and his career. how many "RIP" Statements do we need. I doubt his family resides here.

Mase was a knick 5 of his 13 year career in the NBA. What makes him attractive to many was his grit but the fact he was flawed in many ways. That makes him more personable to fans then guys with polished and protected images. He was a tough guy on and off the court which made him "NY"!!! We love gangsters.

He was pleaded to "endangering the welfare of minors" after DNA tests showed he did not have sex with 14 and 15 year old sisters after picking them up after a charity event. He was at least smart enough to use a condom??? The girls bragged they had sex with him. His cousin, who was with him had left his DNA on them. This, not the rape at the end of his career or beating a restaurant owner over a parking spot was one cause for his exile from NY.

It was going to be hard for the knicks to pay this guy and keep him in NY. With Starks they made a great pair and the emotionality of them was great to behold, but also could be problematic as they would get Technical fouls at bad times. Take the good with the bad!!

Mase was one of my favorite knicks. Its hard to think his tenure was only 5 years. HIs last season was his best as a knick having played 1000 more minutes than the previous season when Riley was coaching. Under Nelsoon he averaged 16 pts. At this peak he was traded to Charlotte at age 29. Funny enough, 5 years later at age 34 he again matched that average and made his lone all star appearance playing for Riley in Miami!

The man lived hard and left too early.

Hector
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #4483

3/2/2015  9:00 AM    LAST EDITED: 3/2/2015  9:01 AM
DrAlphaeus wrote:Mase passing really sucks. I didn't realize he was less than 10 years older than me. Those 90s teams seem to fade further and further away. I need to watch some of those old playoff games. Gone too soon.

I liked the Detroit series, Nets, of course the Indiana & Miami stuff.....Chicago - not so much. They were good games but much too painful. I have the '94 finals sitting around somewhere but have never re watched. That last game was so painful & totally turned me off to Starks - from then on & I was a big fan when he was acting like a lunatic & hitting game winning 3's like he did against Phoenix in 1 regular season game I remember pretty good. I have the '93 - '94 on VHS, it's good to see not just The Knick team back then, but the opponents also. I always liked the 10:30 west coast games & particularly The Golden State games. Hardaway was always yapping. They always got into it with someone on those west coast trips.

The NBA reminds me of an episode of The Kardashian's nowadays & that pisses me off.

[quote="jrodmc"] Melo is stupid. [/quote]
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
3/2/2015  10:01 AM
so sad about Mase. When I read the article about him being surrounded by his 4 kids at that last moment I flat out wept on the train on the way to work. Life is so precious and fleeting, and what I read about his role in his son's lives it told me Mase understood what matters the most. RIP Mase and godspeed. Blessings to your family.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
JesseDark
Member: #467
3/2/2015  11:12 AM
Nalod wrote:
JesseDark wrote:

+1

Whats to say. Plenty has been written about him and his career. how many "RIP" Statements do we need. I doubt his family resides here.

Mase was a knick 5 of his 13 year career in the NBA. What makes him attractive to many was his grit but the fact he was flawed in many ways. That makes him more personable to fans then guys with polished and protected images. He was a tough guy on and off the court which made him "NY"!!! We love gangsters.

He was pleaded to "endangering the welfare of minors" after DNA tests showed he did not have sex with 14 and 15 year old sisters after picking them up after a charity event. He was at least smart enough to use a condom??? The girls bragged they had sex with him. His cousin, who was with him had left his DNA on them. This, not the rape at the end of his career or beating a restaurant owner over a parking spot was one cause for his exile from NY.

It was going to be hard for the knicks to pay this guy and keep him in NY. With Starks they made a great pair and the emotionality of them was great to behold, but also could be problematic as they would get Technical fouls at bad times. Take the good with the bad!!
s time.
Mase was one of my favorite knicks. Its hard to think his tenure was only 5 years. HIs last season was his best as a knick having played 1000 more minutes than the previous season when Riley was coaching. Under Nelsoon he averaged 16 pts. At this peak he was traded to Charlotte at age 29. Funny enough, 5 years later at age 34 he again matched that average and made his lone all star appearance playing for Riley in Miami!

Mase was apart of our Knick family that's why it matters. Hell, we're all on the internet so whether his family still resides in NY really doesn't matter. IMHO we collectively as a Knick board would have more of an out pouring. I don't think it's a good look to bring up the negatives about the allegations at this time. Actually, for me this is the first I am hearing of it.

I remember seeing Mase at USBL game after his first season with the Knicks. He wanted to play in the USBL again that summer but the Knicks ruled that out.

I also recall him going to Ranger playoff games during the '94 season to pump up the crowd. Would have been nice has they both brought home a championship.

Bring back dee-fense
blkexec
Member: #748
3/2/2015  11:40 AM    LAST EDITED: 3/2/2015  11:41 AM
Mase did it all.....Once i knew he was from Queens i wasnt surprised at his handles. And the fact that he lefty helped. Not to mention he had that solid old school body. The type that hurts you by just driving into him. Mase was the glue on that 90s team.
Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
NumberTwoPencil
Member: #481
USA
3/2/2015  2:48 PM
"He pleaded to 'endangering the welfare of minors' . . .

Hmmmmmm. I forgot about Mase's statutory rape case. I was thinking that, yes, he was a head case of a sort coming into the league but he that he mostly sorted out that stuff and was an upstanding dude by the time he left. I guess he may have had his **** together and people took advantage of him but . . . maybe not. Looking through those allegations now, yup, Nalod is at least partly right that Mase's screwy personal life probably contributed to his short tenure with the Knicks. (Sigh. OTOH, the Knicks during those years were, at times, as stupid, well, almost as stupid, as during the Thomas years. Patrick had, um, family issues. Oak had anger issues.)

All the same . . . Mase's time on the Garden floor deserves 30 pages of Ultimate Knicks tribute!

Solace
Alba Posts: 20
Member: #479
USA
3/2/2015  2:50 PM
RIP Mase. Just awful news. I heard about it when it happened, just late to respond here.
Nalod
USA
3/2/2015  3:16 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/2/2015  3:26 PM
JesseDark wrote:
Nalod wrote:
JesseDark wrote:

+1

s time.

Mase was apart of our Knick family that's why it matters. Hell, we're all on the internet so whether his family still resides in NY really doesn't matter. IMHO we collectively as a Knick board would have more of an out pouring. I don't think it's a good look to bring up the negatives about the allegations at this time. Actually, for me this is the first I am hearing of it.

I remember seeing Mase at USBL game after his first season with the Knicks. He wanted to play in the USBL again that summer but the Knicks ruled that out.

I also recall him going to Ranger playoff games during the '94 season to pump up the crowd. Would have been nice has they both brought home a championship.

His negatives are from the news. He got into trouble. He was human. Its part of his story. Its why he was traded. The guy partied hard and was getting into trouble. Today the shyt would have hit the fan big time for what he did. He was lucky to have gotten off lightly as he did. He was a better player then LJ at the time of the trade. Knicks did not want to pay Mase and keep him in NY.

The dude was relevant because of what he did on the court. To deny his flaws is to not tell his story. To glorify him beyond what he was is also not telling his story.
Dude lived the way he wanted to and put on 100lbs in retirement. He had heart problems in the year before his death. He was stubborn and was told to many times by his doctor to knock it off.

I don't sugur coat this shyt cuz I tell my story of my heart problems. I donate my time and tell my story. I get e-mails thanking me cuz they got checked out and either relieved they good, or relieved they found something!!! Mase for all his love for his kids didn't lose weight or take care of himself. Love has many sides to it.

Today we can remember he was a monster of a player and like I said, I loved his game. I live in North carolina and was happy I got to seem him play here as well!!! We knew he had a taste for the wild side then, and today we mourn his death at 48 in part because of it. Man had a taste for life.

Thats who he was. We all have our flaws and we can love him anyway. Maybe someone reads this about Mase and realizes they are not superhuman and gets checked out.

Know this:

Hank Gathers. Top player in the country for Loyola Marymount drops dead after an ally oop.

Reggie Lewis:
Dude is having a good game. collapses on the court, they let him back in the game. Two months later he dies.

Not sure if you were around when Len Bias died from cocaine. This was 1986. I know lots of dudes who swore it off thinking if a world class athlete can die from it, maybe they can to. This guy was Jordan and Amare all in one 6-8 frame.

There is a replay of him stealing the ball and reverse dunk in traffic. I was at the game in Chapel Hill in the 4th row. It was amazing. Len was a man playing with children. When he died it kicked me in the stomach. This was a good kid doing what everyone else would have done at the time, just having a good time celebrating being the top pick in the draft!!
Highlights:

So we learn today that if you love your children stay on top of your health. Get checkups, keep the weight off. If Reggie and Hank can drop in the prime, so can anyone. Len taught If you mess with drugs, you run the risk. When you party, gain weight and don't stay after it you'll have your children by your side when its over. Try to have them by your side when its time to take care.

Mase was a hard working gifted athlete who had a problem with male authority figures but preserverence to stay in the game and rose to fame in the Garden to heights few can dream about! Let that be his legacy. But lets not forget he was human. Nobody will love him less for it.

My Uncle Died at 47 from what I had. That was 1973 and they could not nail it then like they can now. I never thought I'd be afflicted. But there was a chance. So I remembered his story. I was a kid but I felt his love for me. His death sticks we me always. Its why Im alive.

If Mase or any of the above help tell one story and some how someone takes it in, maybe it saves them. I'll never forget my children being around me when I came out of surgery. I remember my wife thanking me for taking care of business. That shyt was real.

I feel for mase and his family. In that Gathers clip the men around him all shake their heads all those years later in pain. Hank didn't die of neglect or do anything wrong. Maybe it could have be detected. Now they look for things they didn't. Why? Cuz Hank left his story. Its a gift and it helped save others.

and of course........

Nalod
USA
3/2/2015  3:39 PM
Splat
Member: #5862

3/2/2015  3:41 PM
Mase easily makes any list I'd make of my Top 10 Favorite Knicks

A guy like this changes your team. He was an impact player. Today's Knicks would profoundly benefit from a guy of Mase's mindset and caliber.

R.I.P. you badass mutha

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!
GoNyGoNyGo
Member: #411
USA
3/2/2015  4:01 PM
Mase replaced Xavier McDaniel as NY's nasty edge player. He enhanced the toughness of an already pretty tough team and he made them an elite level team. His bball IQ was high and he used his body and skills better than most.

It was a pleasure watching him play with NY and beyond.

RIP.

Anthony Mason dead at 48

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy