USA
2/28/2015  12:15 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

You can see the highlights here. A lot of the shots are nice looking but way too many are fools gold mid range jumpers. For his career, he makes 42.5% of his mid range shots. You don't want him taking those. The 3s and drives were good, though.

That's the common thought process of every casual basketball fan nowadays. Real basketball is played mid range. That's where the action is. Without Bargnani causing havoc there is no outside game.

huh? Do you think I made up the 42.5% figure? That's his actual career percentage

I'm not sure what you're trying to say but from 2p range Bargs is a career 47% shooter. Maybe if you are looking at a very specific area you could make it seem like he's not effective inside the 3pt line, but he actually is very effective.

Bargs is also one of the most efficient PnP players.

During the 2011-12 NBA season, as you can see from the chart above, Andrea Bargnani led the league in points per possession based on a minimum of 75 Pick and Pop possessions. Now keep in mind these stats are based soley on the Pick and Pop play type via Synergy Sports Technology extensive database. Take a look at the long list of All-Stars that fall behind Bargnani in this extremely important play type run multiple times during the course of an NBA game and season. Tim Duncan, Kevin Love, Kevin Garnett, LaMarcus Aldridge, Marc Gasol even former Knick David Lee, all trail Bargnani in points per possession which in essence is one of the more notable and realistic metrics used to gauge the efficiency of a player’s skill set.

Ultimately, the points-per-possession metric is a tremendous indicator of how a player maximizes an offensive possession. In Bargnani’s case, although the sample size during 2011-12 was relatively small in terms of games played, he not only was the most efficient player in Pick and Pop play types, but he scored the most points per game and got to the free throw line the highest percentage out of all players in the league.

Understanding the metrics listed above help explain why Bargnani is such a sound option running Pick and Pop action. Now whether he can stay off the injured list for an extended period of time is a whole other story entirely. Back to the numbers.

As you’ll notice Bargnani scored the highest PPP in the league at 1.022 in 2011-12. Points per possession is calculated by dividing a player’s total points by their total possessions. In this case, each player’s PPP listed is based solely on Pick and Pop play types. Bargnani achieves such a high rating because he attempts more three-pointers than most of the players listed while also showcasing an uncanny ability to entice defenders into fouling him while shooting off Pick and Pop action.

In fact, Bargnani led the league in FT% which is a metric designed to track how often a player is awarded free throws running a particular play type. Bargnani was fouled in the act of shooting resulting in free throws 12.9% of the time running Pick and Pop play types during the 2011-12 season good for the number one ranking in the entire league. Capitalizing on those opportunities, Bargnani shot a career-high 87.3% from the charity stripe.

During the 2011-12 season, Bargnani averaged 19.5 points, 5.5 rebounds while shooting 87.3% from the free throw line on 5.6 attempts per game. The stretch big man knocked down just 43.2% from the field and 29.6% from three suiting up in a total of just 31 games.

http://www.hardwoodcanvas.com/2013/07/07/advanced-analytics-bargnanis-pick-and-pop-game/#.Udqr8T5ARhN

We're specifically talking about mid-range 2 point shots, not all 2 point shots. I already said he's good at 3s and shots near the basket.

Bonn there is no substitute for watching the games. bargnani is a great mid range shooter--when he shoots it around 12 feet you feel like ti will go in. His WHOLE career has been hampered with too much being out on his back and his undisciplined play on bad teams led by his game starting from beyond the 3 pt line. He has life long poor habits. If he STAYS within 14 feet--he can be really good. VERY few 7 footers shoot 85% from the FT line in volume.

This system puts Bargs in his sweet spot more often. This is pretty much what I felt he should be doing and if he can maintain this aggressiveness he can be very useful on a reasonable contract. As long as he and his agent aren't greedy. Bargs ability to draw fouls is a huge plus. Centers don't feel comfortable coming out to defend him cuz the know that he's a threat to drive. This offense is perfect for Bargs and if he's smart he'll want to stay.

AUTOADVERT
nixluva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #758
USA
2/28/2015  12:21 PM
EnySpree wrote:You can't watch a basketball behind a calculator. I see guys saying ignore what you saw last night because Toronto screed us in a trade and another because he does 42% midrange.

I mean come on now. Basketball is all about talent, chemistry and style of play. BBargnani needs to be featured. You don't feature him by making him take jumpers all day. That's not his game. Phil and Fisher ate absolutely correct when they said he needs to stay in the mid range and operate there. Watch the highlights and it proves it. This offense can be the best thing that ever happened to him.

Instead of cheering the guy for his breakout game, guys wanna disregard it

It's typical. People love to stick with the cliche's about players and refuse to use their eyes and see what's actually happening. Bargs didn't luck into what happened, this is a feature of the offense and how he fits into it. If he's aggressive he should be able to get good results in this system.

WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

2/28/2015  12:22 PM
gunsnewing wrote:To me Lou Amundson is like Chris Duhon. Career 12th man but put him in the right system and he flourishes because he has the head, mindset & skillset for it

He has flashed some offensive ability that is somewhat stunning given the number of years he has been in the league. Knicks announcers keep talking about the hook shots he is ceaselessly taking prior to games, but the guy is also showing a high arch jumper that he has actually had some success with.

He has some athletic ability, and you wonder why, in the many years he has played in the league, he could not have worked on his offense to the point where you wouldn't cringe when he was attempting a shot, but lets face it, he has shown a bit of polish in his offensive game with the Knicks. You add this too his defense, and you have a guy worth keeping if the price is right.

I would be surprised if he is not back with the Knicks next year.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
nixluva
USA
2/28/2015  12:43 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:To me Lou Amundson is like Chris Duhon. Career 12th man but put him in the right system and he flourishes because he has the head, mindset & skillset for it

He has flashed some offensive ability that is somewhat stunning given the number of years he has been in the league. Knicks announcers keep talking about the hook shots he is ceaselessly taking prior to games, but the guy is also showing a high arch jumper that he has actually had some success with.

He has some athletic ability, and you wonder why, in the many years he has played in the league, he could not have worked on his offense to the point where you wouldn't cringe when he was attempting a shot, but lets face it, he has shown a bit of polish in his offensive game with the Knicks. You add this too his defense, and you have a guy worth keeping if the price is right.

I would be surprised if he is not back with the Knicks next year.

It's the same reason that Jason Smith was never really valued as an offensive player. His rep coming in was that he was a hustle guy, but here in this system players like him and Lou have a real role in the offense and plenty of touches. They have to pass and read plays. They're just so much more involved. This has to feel great for these guys who normally are told not to even look for shots. Here Lou is told to take the open shot and it motivates him to work on his game. I think it's great to see. Phil was right in that everyone is involved in the offense at all times.
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
2/28/2015  2:14 PM
The real take away from last night's game - this is why you don't give Greg Monroe $12M or more. Dude can't guard a traffic cone. Last night the traffic cone happened to be named Andrea.

Don't sign Greg Monroe is my only take away from Bargnani's performance.

¿ △ ?
nixluva
USA
2/28/2015  2:32 PM
crzymdups wrote:The real take away from last night's game - this is why you don't give Greg Monroe $12M or more. Dude can't guard a traffic cone. Last night the traffic cone happened to be named Andrea.

That's maybe a bit unfair. Bargs has always been a nightmare for other bigs to guard in space. He can move better than you would think someone his size should move. He's got a very effective pump fake and drive move. Really NO BIG has been able to stop Bargs from getting by them or shooting over them or stopping his PnP looks.

crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
2/28/2015  3:07 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/28/2015  3:10 PM
nixluva wrote:
crzymdups wrote:The real take away from last night's game - this is why you don't give Greg Monroe $12M or more. Dude can't guard a traffic cone. Last night the traffic cone happened to be named Andrea.

That's maybe a bit unfair. Bargs has always been a nightmare for other bigs to guard in space. He can move better than you would think someone his size should move. He's got a very effective pump fake and drive move. Really NO BIG has been able to stop Bargs from getting by them or shooting over them or stopping his PnP looks.

Bargnani had 8pts and 3rebs in that Bulls Knicks game on 40% shooting. The Knicks almost completely blew a 23pt lead and held on to win by 5, in part because Bargnani is a terrible defensive player and inconsistent on offense.

I can't speak to Bargnani on the Raptors, though he shot 7 for 19 (36%) in that game you posted, which doesn't seem super efficient or impressive.

He had 25pts against Greg Monroe last night on 50% shooting.

My point is that Monroe is a bad defender.

What further worries me about Monroe is that Louis Amundson, a very nice guy who hustles and plays hard, had 17pts and 14rebs against the Pistons front court.

If we want to win, the defense needs to be better. I don't think Monroe is that guy.

¿ △ ?
nixluva
USA
2/28/2015  5:21 PM
crzymdups wrote:
nixluva wrote:

Bargnani had 8pts and 3rebs in that Bulls Knicks game on 40% shooting. The Knicks almost completely blew a 23pt lead and held on to win by 5, in part because Bargnani is a terrible defensive player and inconsistent on offense.

I can't speak to Bargnani on the Raptors, though he shot 7 for 19 (36%) in that game you posted, which doesn't seem super efficient or impressive.

He had 25pts against Greg Monroe last night on 50% shooting.

My point is that Monroe is a bad defender.

What further worries me about Monroe is that Louis Amundson, a very nice guy who hustles and plays hard, had 17pts and 14rebs against the Pistons front court.

If we want to win, the defense needs to be better. I don't think Monroe is that guy.

You're missing the point. I wasn't holding those games out as Bargs best games ever. I could do that quite easily by cherry picking games he had great efficiency. My point was to show that even a defensive player like Noah has a hard time stopping Bargs one on one when he wants to drive etc. On D against most bigs Monroe will be OK. Bargs is one of the more mobile and versatile scorers. This year Monroe is defending at a 104 Defensive rating, which isn't great but not horrible either. If Monroe was on this team and playing more efficiently he would be a net positive player for the team.
Knicks game last night

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy