[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Reggie Jackson a legitimate offseason target
Author Thread
Rookie
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #2274

2/27/2015  12:39 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/27/2015  12:40 PM
While I believe he is a RFA, Detroit already has a PG in Jennings. Even if they let Monroe walk, they still cap cap/tax problems with the Josh Smith debacle. Hard to believe they will match offers on Jackson when he hits the market and paying him more then Jennings wouldn't be a good idea for them either.

So, if we draft a big this year which should be our priority, we will still need a legitimate starting PG. There could be Dragic if he opts out (which he will) and of course Rondo. Of the 3 I list, I think Jackson is the most realistic and at 23/24 yrs, he is at the perfect age and proven in the league.

AUTOADVERT
yellowboy90
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3538

2/27/2015  12:59 PM
They have plenty of room and Jennings only has a year left.
Rookie

2/27/2015  1:20 PM
Jackson wants to be a starter. Jennings is the incumbent at PG unless they trade Jennings which will be hard to do with him injured. Their 2 highest paid players will both play the same position, not a good scenario for team harmony and chemistry. As I said in the title, Jackson is a legitimate offseason target

AUBURN HILLS -- Detroit Pistons coach Stan Van Gundy said he had about 20 minutes to sit down and talk with Brandon Jennings about the team's reasoning in trading for point guard Reggie Jackson.

He said Jennings understood, even if the injured point guard might have preferred the Pistons not make a move at his position.

"Brandon's a great guy and a team-oriented guy, and understands the situation, and probably would have rather we didn't -- I'm going to guess -- but he's on board," Van Gundy said. "He knows what we're trying to build here. And again, I think Brandon wants to win. He really, really wants to win. So he was fine with it. There was no problem. There was no pushback from him or anything else."

Jennings, who has one year remaining on his contract, suffered a season-ending torn left Achilles tendon Jan. 24 at Milwaukee.

Jackson can test the market as a restricted free agent this summer. The Pistons hope to sign him to a long-term contract, but doing so gives them two highly paid players at the same position, and Jennings could be difficult to trade while injured.

It is possible the Pistons could have both Jackson and Jennings next season.

"I told him what our thinking was, in terms of both bringing Reggie in and what our thinking was going forward," Van Gundy said.

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

2/27/2015  1:43 PM
They might be trying to run a two pg set with Drummond and Monroe inside.

chances are Jennings is out in the near future.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Rookie

2/27/2015  2:10 PM
I'm guessing he's going to get offers in the 13-14M per yr range. He's a big combo type guard, I think we go hard after him and have a better then average chance of getting him. Adding a legitimate PG going into his prime years and a big (via the draft) would be a major step in the right direction for this franchise and address to major needs. I expect there to be a lot of speculation about this in the pre game tonight
smackeddog
Member: #883
2/27/2015  2:42 PM
Some NY interviewer who recently interviewed Jimmy butler tweeted that if Chicago dont Max him, NY is one of 2 teams he's interested in.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
2/27/2015  2:48 PM
smackeddog wrote:Some NY interviewer who recently interviewed Jimmy butler tweeted that if Chicago dont Max him, NY is one of 2 teams he's interested in.

Music to my ears. Like I said in the draft thread. Get me Towns, Monroe & Butler with a decent PG and I will outhomer Nix next year!

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

2/27/2015  2:52 PM
Rookie wrote:Jackson wants to be a starter. Jennings is the incumbent at PG unless they trade Jennings which will be hard to do with him injured. Their 2 highest paid players will both play the same position, not a good scenario for team harmony and chemistry. As I said in the title, Jackson is a legitimate offseason target

AUBURN HILLS -- Detroit Pistons coach Stan Van Gundy said he had about 20 minutes to sit down and talk with Brandon Jennings about the team's reasoning in trading for point guard Reggie Jackson.

He said Jennings understood, even if the injured point guard might have preferred the Pistons not make a move at his position.

"Brandon's a great guy and a team-oriented guy, and understands the situation, and probably would have rather we didn't -- I'm going to guess -- but he's on board," Van Gundy said. "He knows what we're trying to build here. And again, I think Brandon wants to win. He really, really wants to win. So he was fine with it. There was no problem. There was no pushback from him or anything else."

Jennings, who has one year remaining on his contract, suffered a season-ending torn left Achilles tendon Jan. 24 at Milwaukee.

Jackson can test the market as a restricted free agent this summer. The Pistons hope to sign him to a long-term contract, but doing so gives them two highly paid players at the same position, and Jennings could be difficult to trade while injured.

It is possible the Pistons could have both Jackson and Jennings next season.

"I told him what our thinking was, in terms of both bringing Reggie in and what our thinking was going forward," Van Gundy said.

Yep, sounds like one of them is going to leave, probably something along the lines of "its either him or me".

smackeddog
2/27/2015  3:08 PM
gunsnewing wrote:
smackeddog wrote:Some NY interviewer who recently interviewed Jimmy butler tweeted that if Chicago dont Max him, NY is one of 2 teams he's interested in.

Music to my ears. Like I said in the draft thread. Get me Towns, Monroe & Butler with a decent PG and I will outhomer Nix next year!

Phil is scouting the Kentucky game tomorrow- I think he's at Kentuckys practice today!

StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

2/27/2015  3:16 PM
every player or coach says ny is their favorite destination. I dont put too much stock in that
gunsnewing
USA
2/27/2015  3:19 PM
smackeddog wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:

Phil is scouting the Kentucky game tomorrow- I think he's at Kentuckys practice today!

Awesome. Towns is definitely a Phil Jackson 2way playing big

StarksEwing1

2/27/2015  3:24 PM
A lot will depend on who we draft. In my mind we will get either okafor towns russell or mudiay. If we get okafor or towns then jackson might be a likely scenerio if he doesnt resign
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
2/27/2015  3:27 PM
gunsnewing wrote:

HA! I'd be glad to welcome you on board!

StarksEwing1

2/27/2015  3:33 PM
nixluva wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:

i think your only fault is being incapable of a crumb of criticism lol
gunsnewing
USA
2/27/2015  3:51 PM
nixluva wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:

lol u my boy Nix

smackeddog
2/27/2015  4:00 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:A lot will depend on who we draft. In my mind we will get either okafor towns russell or mudiay. If we get okafor or towns then jackson might be a likely scenerio if he doesnt resign

It's tough that we're drafting before we know who we can get in free agency. In some ways I hope we get the second or third pick- it gives us an extra half mil to one mil in spending money and increases the chances of drafting Towns.

smackeddog
2/27/2015  4:01 PM
gunsnewing wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:

Awesome. Towns is definitely a Phil Jackson 2way playing big

Hopefully he has a big game- I know they use work outs and tape, but sometimes a first impression can really stick

gunsnewing
USA
2/27/2015  4:06 PM
Yup hopefully another breakout game. Hopefuy Calipari helps Phil out and plays him big minutes regardless of the score
VCoug
Member: #1406

2/27/2015  5:42 PM
EnySpree wrote:They might be trying to run a two pg set with Drummond and Monroe inside.

chances are Jennings is out in the near future.

Don't know how Detroit could do that when neither of them can shoot.

Now the joy of my world is in Zion How beautiful if nothing more Than to wait at Zion's door I've never been in love like this before Now let me pray to keep you from The perils that will surely come
VCoug
Member: #1406

2/27/2015  5:43 PM
gunsnewing wrote:

Don't see how we could sign both Monroe and Butler. Monroe's going to be expecting something at least close to the $16M max which only leaves a little over $10M available for Butler; Chicago would match that in an instant.

Now the joy of my world is in Zion How beautiful if nothing more Than to wait at Zion's door I've never been in love like this before Now let me pray to keep you from The perils that will surely come
Reggie Jackson a legitimate offseason target

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy