[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Excellent offseason
Author Thread
mreinman
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3189

1/29/2015  4:13 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:So what do you guys think of the secondary free agents--all 2 year contracts that are heavy in year 1 to bring them(or keep them here)

Smith 2 years 8mm
Anjica 2 years 8mm
Brooks 2 years 7mm
----------------------
Total 11.5mm

It would not good to have Anjica and Smith. Also, Bass is probably available at that price. Plus, I highly doubt Jason gets a raise. Give me Jason Smith at 2 yrs and 4m with a directive to shoot more corner threes and I'll think about depending on how he ends the season. Hopefully he is traded.

Also, do not be fooled by the Chicago back up pg dust Thibs sprinkles on players every year.

Nice

He loses 10000 bucks for every shot he takes between 16-23 feet.

so here is what phil is thinking ....
AUTOADVERT
yellowboy90
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3538

1/29/2015  4:25 PM
mreinman wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:So what do you guys think of the secondary free agents--all 2 year contracts that are heavy in year 1 to bring them(or keep them here)

Smith 2 years 8mm
Anjica 2 years 8mm
Brooks 2 years 7mm
----------------------
Total 11.5mm

It would not good to have Anjica and Smith. Also, Bass is probably available at that price. Plus, I highly doubt Jason gets a raise. Give me Jason Smith at 2 yrs and 4m with a directive to shoot more corner threes and I'll think about depending on how he ends the season. Hopefully he is traded.

Also, do not be fooled by the Chicago back up pg dust Thibs sprinkles on players every year.

Nice

are you trying to make Jason Smith owe money? Also, his jumper looks legit motion wise. If Millsap can do it I think Smith could to. Millsap has more of a strained motion. Not judging them as all around players just shooting.

mreinman

1/29/2015  4:27 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:

Smith 2 years 8mm
Anjica 2 years 8mm
Brooks 2 years 7mm
----------------------
Total 11.5mm

Nice

are you trying to make Jason Smith owe money? Also, his jumper looks legit motion wise. If Millsap can do it I think Smith could to. Millsap has more of a strained motion. Not judging them as all around players just shooting.

I think that he can do it too. He has a sweet shot but his shot selection is putrid.

RonRon
Member: #246
1/29/2015  7:23 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/29/2015  7:36 PM
With the way Jason Smith has been playing and his expiring deal, we might actually be able to get a 2nd rounder shipping him to a contender
Think we will be trying to get as many future picks in this and future drafts as possible with the roster we have
I think we should keep Cole Aldrich because we own his early bird rights and could resign him with the vet min cap hold, in order to have the FULL MLE next season, so he is a pretty big asset for us this summer

As for our waiver/D League pickups, (no team is going to give us 2nd rounders for D Leaguers, regardless of how well they are currently playing with exception to Galloway of whom we likely would like to continue to develop if he continues to play this way)
I am torn between calling up Orlando Sanchez and Onuaku, as we would need some CHEAP roster spots this summer, and each contract from 500k to 1m, could be the difference in being able to put lure an attractive duo or trio of talents
However, we run the risk of losing out on a solid rotational player with decent upside for just 500k more as well

Thanasis

Early
Tim Hardaway JR

Probably have some sort of value, while I would put Thanasis as un untouchable catagory because of his lock down potential and high ceiling
Even if a team offers us a late 1st rounder in this draft, I would rather keep him, we need players that are CHEAP with his type of upside

The I don't know if teams will give us assets back catagory include

Acey
Larkin
Pablo

Travis Wear? with Lance Thomas and Lou Amundson (I can not believe I am saying this) but they make Wear expendable and we likely will be looking at more upside players anyway, though I don't think there actually is a market for his services, despite his ability to stretch the floor and high IQ, he doesn't have a high ceiling and isn't a player to target for contenders to utilize in the play offs

H1AND1
Member: #5648

1/29/2015  8:32 PM
BRIGGS wrote:If we got Russell instead of Okafor?

Instead of trying to get Dragic Id offer Kanter a max contract or Millsap a 4 year 56mm$

Everything else the same.

It all depends on the top of the draft and who we get.

Same deal

C-Smith
PF Kanter or Millsap
F Melo
G Galloway
G Russell

yada yada yada

You'd pay Kanter more than Milsap? Milsap is the far superior player IMO. I'm against singing big money F's and C's who aren't good defenders. I admittedly haven't Utah much this season but from what I have seen Kanter doesn't look very inspired.

Also Rakeem Christmas is a friggin' awesome name. I'm all for drafting this dude just because of that.

mreinman

1/29/2015  8:49 PM
H1AND1 wrote:

Instead of trying to get Dragic Id offer Kanter a max contract or Millsap a 4 year 56mm$

Same deal

C-Smith
PF Kanter or Millsap
F Melo
G Galloway
G Russell

yada yada yada

You'd pay Kanter more than Milsap? Milsap is the far superior player IMO. I'm against singing big money F's and C's who aren't good defenders. I admittedly haven't Utah much this season but from what I have seen Kanter doesn't look very inspired.

Also Rakeem Christmas is a friggin' awesome name. I'm all for drafting this dude just because of that.

not if your a jew

KNICKSBIGCATS
Member: #3745

1/29/2015  10:22 PM
One guy that I like that still seems to be under a lot of people’s radar, but his numbers are similar to Reggie Jackson, he plays in a winning system and his team already has two veterans on the roster and has other free agent priorities so might not match even a mid-level offer is Cory Joseph of the Spurs.
My priorities in free agency would be:
1. Throw a huge offer at Deandre Jordan (make one best offer that is likely not to be successful than move on)
2. Make an offer to Greg Monroe (if Jordan doesn’t sign)
3. Try to sign Cory Joseph to an offer sheet
4. If Golden State hasn’t moved Lee or Iguodala to get comfortably under the tax, try to poach Draymond Green
5. If offer to Joseph was rejected or matched, try to sign Reggie Jackson to an offer sheet
6. If no success at this point, throw hail Mary offers to Butler, Harris, or Leonard if they are still on the market and then give up on free agency for this year
7. Try to stay above the cap to maintain trade exceptions.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships." -Michael Jordan
yellowboy90
Member: #3538

1/29/2015  11:24 PM
Tyler Harvey might go undrafted. He is still a junior and for someone not ranked that high playing at a small school it might be better for him to go back for his senior year.
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
1/30/2015  10:22 AM
TripleThreat wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
27 trade with Cleveland Tyler Harvey PG trade for future protected #1 to 20 or 2 future 2nd rounders plus 1mm

Cleveland is looking to push now. Love is in his prime. LBJ is not getting any younger. The move for Mozgov was a push now move. Also they've burned out a lot of draft assets in the last year. If the Cavs can get help sooner/faster at 27, they aren't trading it. If they do trade it, a couple of 2nd rounders later don't move the needle for them. Protected to the top 20 only brings value to the Knicks side, the Cavs have zero reason to accept a future pick ( when it costs them help now) that has that much protection.

The Knicks IMHO just need, even if it's just in principle, to STOP trading away their future 1st round picks.

Could trading future 1st end up being the best return value overall? Sure. It's possible.

But is it likely? A guy drops to the late 20s in the draft, usually for a reason.

What I NEVER HEAR. I mean I NEVER HEAR from the few guys who do want to trade future firsts on this board is that it might not work out. That odds are, it won't work out. I NEVER HEAR IT. It's just treated as an absolute that it will work out. That the Knicks will absolutely find that Rondo type late 20s steal of the draft and no other outcome is possible.

If Harvey falls to 27, theres a chance he might fall a little further. ( Please do not say to me that the Knicks must make a trade because that won't happen. Until March Madness is over, a lot of these guys are in a state of variable flux. Some guys have a great tournament and rise, some have a bad one and fall. Happens all the time)

???? I think everyone here knows any draft pick or move might not work out. OK4 might be the next Al Jefferson and never be more than a good scoring big. Look at the Oden/Durant draft. OKC took the next best guy on the board and that luck changed their franchise.

I have no problem with this staff trading a future pick for a current asset, especially if its in this draft.

I think the Knicks should avoid using future picks as throw ins for trades. I dont see swapping a future #1 say with top 5 protection for a pair of #1s this year if they are attached to some players the FO is really high on. Thats just dealing. Its not the trading picks, its the stupid deals they are used in (like Bargs).

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
1/30/2015  11:53 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/30/2015  11:55 AM
KNICKSBIGCATS wrote:One guy that I like that still seems to be under a lot of people’s radar, but his numbers are similar to Reggie Jackson, he plays in a winning system and his team already has two veterans on the roster and has other free agent priorities so might not match even a mid-level offer is Cory Joseph of the Spurs.
1. Throw a huge offer at Deandre Jordan (make one best offer that is likely not to be successful than move on)
4. If Golden State hasn’t moved Lee or Iguodala to get comfortably under the tax, try to poach Draymond Green
5. If offer to Joseph was rejected or matched, try to sign Reggie Jackson to an offer sheet
6. If no success at this point, throw hail Mary offers to Butler, Harris, or Leonard if they are still on the market and then give up on free agency for this year

While Jordan is a good player, there couldn't be a worst fit for the triangle offense. I am positive Phil will not go after him. Monroe on the other hand is a very logical fit. And while Detroit is playing better, Stan will probably let him go because he will want to build a team very similar to what he had in Orlando, with Drummond down low and a more perimeter oriented big man. He is building that team around Drummond and Jennings,and Monroe is probably still gone. And like he did cutting smith, he's not afraid to lose a player for nothing in return.

newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

1/30/2015  1:05 PM
gunsnewing wrote:The great thing is Phil is building from within and with moves that are not as flashy on paper. Now if we add a Milsap, Monroe or Gasol we won't be putting all our chips in their basket as we did with Amare. This is how you go about building a sustainable winner

Milsap was gonna be the guy i wanted most after M.Gasol and L.Aldridge but with Atlanta looking so good and them having a legit coach with a legit system i wouldn't doubt if he stays in Atlanta now which puts G.Monroe as my next big man i want.
newyorker4ever

1/30/2015  1:07 PM

Same deal

C-Smith
PF Kanter or Millsap
F Melo
G Galloway
G Russell

yada yada yada

Is Kanter a URFA or RFA?
newyorker4ever

1/30/2015  1:25 PM
KNICKSBIGCATS wrote:One guy that I like that still seems to be under a lot of people’s radar, but his numbers are similar to Reggie Jackson, he plays in a winning system and his team already has two veterans on the roster and has other free agent priorities so might not match even a mid-level offer is Cory Joseph of the Spurs.

I like some of your ideas here but i'd rather have G.Monroe over D.Jordan and although i like C.Joseph i get a little worried with guys like this that play for the Spurs in the G.Pop system cause it could be him and his system that makes these kids look better than they are. I would absolutely love to get Draymond Green and all the other RFA's you mentioned but it's tough to get the RFA's and could cost more than their worth to get them.
NardDogNation
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #5555

1/30/2015  2:26 PM
Presuming we get the no.1 overall pick (a long shot), I still think that the best course of action would be to trade it and cash to the Wolves for Dieng, their pick and a slew of their bad contracts (i.e. Pekovic, Budinger and/or Martin). The move would effectively allow the Wolves to get the best value player in the trade and shed between $6-$25 million of long-term salary, which should be appealing to any small market team that is rebuilding.

Meanwhile the Knicks would be able to add some much needed depth, even if it does come in the form of injury prone players that will always miss 35 or so games a season. I also really like Dieng who is looking like a pretty good rim protector, excellent passer and as being capable of hitting midrange shots, which would be ideal at the 5 in the triangle. And should the D'Angelo Russell still be available with the Wolves' pick, we'd have two great young pieces locked up that fit the triangle and play two of the most critical positions in the league. That to me is worth $6-$25 million of salary that only works part-time. More importantly, we'd still have another $10 million or so to spend on free agents, which offers enough wiggle room to still make a splash in free agency.

Knixkik
USA
1/30/2015  4:28 PM
NardDogNation wrote:Presuming we get the no.1 overall pick (a long shot), I still think that the best course of action would be to trade it and cash to the Wolves for Dieng, their pick and a slew of their bad contracts (i.e. Pekovic, Budinger and/or Martin). The move would effectively allow the Wolves to get the best value player in the trade and shed between $6-$25 million of long-term salary, which should be appealing to any small market team that is rebuilding.

Meanwhile the Knicks would be able to add some much needed depth, even if it does come in the form of injury prone players that will always miss 35 or so games a season. I also really like Dieng who is looking like a pretty good rim protector, excellent passer and as being capable of hitting midrange shots, which would be ideal at the 5 in the triangle. And should the D'Angelo Russell still be available with the Wolves' pick, we'd have two great young pieces locked up that fit the triangle and play two of the most critical positions in the league. That to me is worth $6-$25 million of salary that only works part-time. More importantly, we'd still have another $10 million or so to spend on free agents, which offers enough wiggle room to still make a splash in free agency.

Why trade down and use up cap space all for Dieng? Why not just draft who we want and use the cap space on players we want? That's a lot for one player with decent upside, unless we love the other players coming back in the deal, which i don't see.

NardDogNation

1/30/2015  5:56 PM
Knixkik wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:Presuming we get the no.1 overall pick (a long shot), I still think that the best course of action would be to trade it and cash to the Wolves for Dieng, their pick and a slew of their bad contracts (i.e. Pekovic, Budinger and/or Martin). The move would effectively allow the Wolves to get the best value player in the trade and shed between $6-$25 million of long-term salary, which should be appealing to any small market team that is rebuilding.

Why trade down and use up cap space all for Dieng? Why not just draft who we want and use the cap space on players we want? That's a lot for one player with decent upside, unless we love the other players coming back in the deal, which i don't see.

We'd be trading down for Gorgui Dieng and a shot to draft D'Angelo Russell, who is drawing favorable comparisons to a bigger Steph Curry. Neither may have the overall impact that a Jahlil Okafor will but I'd be very surprised if neither guy made an all-star team or two in the future. From my perspective, D'Angelo Russell+ Gourgui Dieng> Jahlil Okafor and $6-$25 million in cap space for the Knicks. The inverse is true for the Wolves who have plenty of depth but need bigger starpower.

Knixkik
USA
1/30/2015  6:00 PM
NardDogNation wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

We'd be trading down for Gorgui Dieng and a shot to draft D'Angelo Russell, who is drawing favorable comparisons to a bigger Steph Curry. Neither may have the overall impact that a Jahlil Okafor will but I'd be very surprised if neither guy made an all-star team or two in the future. From my perspective, D'Angelo Russell+ Gourgui Dieng> Jahlil Okafor and $6-$25 million in cap space for the Knicks. The inverse is true for the Wolves who have plenty of depth but need bigger starpower.

I like Russell as much as everyone here, but if we are trading down, wouldn't we have a shot at Russell regardless? For that i would just offer Okafor for Russell and Dieng, and forget about all of the bad contracts. Take it or leave it. Other than that, don't see the point in taking their contracts. Would rather use that money towards free agents that fit. But having 2 core players instead of one makes sense, i see your point there. Just no need to take on bad contracts.

NardDogNation

1/30/2015  6:31 PM
Knixkik wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

I like Russell as much as everyone here, but if we are trading down, wouldn't we have a shot at Russell regardless? For that i would just offer Okafor for Russell and Dieng, and forget about all of the bad contracts. Take it or leave it. Other than that, don't see the point in taking their contracts. Would rather use that money towards free agents that fit. But having 2 core players instead of one makes sense, i see your point there. Just no need to take on bad contracts.

Okafor is good but not good enough to justify giving up a no.2-no.4 pick and Dieng, unless the Wolves are willing to make a piss poor decision. If Okafor's talent could command that kind of value, I'd just keep the pick. For the record though, the Wolves' bad contracts are fits in the triangle; the problem is just that their contracts don't match their production (over 82 games a season anyway).

NardDogNation

1/31/2015  10:06 PM
Anybody else got eyes on Jerian Grant? I'm liking him the more I see him.
Excellent offseason

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy