[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Official 2015 NBA Knick Draft Thread....
Author Thread
TPercy
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #5748

1/29/2015  11:06 PM
somany plumlees
The Future is Bright!
AUTOADVERT
yellowboy90
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3538

1/29/2015  11:18 PM
mreinman wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:
mreinman wrote:Did Russel really have 18/14/6/0 TO's on only 12 shots tonight?

They said he had a big game. I tried flipping back and forth but every time I focused on the OSU game he was camped out in the corner. He rarely touched the ball it was weird. He also need to focus more on D but the dude is a stud.

those numbers are freaky

Didn't he have similar numbers Saturday?

blkexec
Member: #748
1/30/2015  11:56 AM
yellowboy90 wrote:

They said he had a big game. I tried flipping back and forth but every time I focused on the OSU game he was camped out in the corner. He rarely touched the ball it was weird. He also need to focus more on D but the dude is a stud.

He's classified as a SG. Thats why I don't think he will get drafted high by another team. So if the draft plays out right, we might have an opportunity to grab him. But again, he's not a PG.....He's a scoring guard that has passing skills. Perfect for the Triangle. But for other teams, he will be classified as a tweener. Mudiay is the same height, but 25 more pounds. So Mudiay is not classified as a tweener, but a legit 6'5 guard with an NBA body at 200 plus pounds......which is why hes projected to go so high.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
F500ONE
Member: #5844

1/30/2015  12:01 PM
blkexec wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:

He's classified as a SG. Thats why I don't think he will get drafted high by another team. So if the draft plays out right, we might have an opportunity to grab him. But again, he's not a PG.....He's a scoring guard that has passing skills. Perfect for the Triangle. But for other teams, he will be classified as a tweener. Mudiay is the same height, but 25 more pounds. So Mudiay is not classified as a tweener, but a legit 6'5 guard with an NBA body at 200 plus pounds......which is why hes projected to go so high.

Which is why I'd go Mudiay if he's there if we're picking lower than expected

FistOfOakley
Member: #3075

1/30/2015  12:02 PM
i think what russell is classified as is moot for us... because most of the time any one of 3 positions can initiate the triangle action... it'd be very wasteful to have him on primary ballhandling duties and have him waste energy bringing it up the court but in the triangle the guards pull equal weight...

on defense he has some work to do but it's better for him to try and matchup with other sg's because he will eventually get a little bigger...

blkexec
1/30/2015  2:56 PM
Well....since Russell is climbing the draft charts, I started watching more clips. I rather find a game to watch, but basically he's a very smooth player. Almost too smooth. He's very slow with every movement (might be his 6'5 frame), but it seems to be affective. He seems like a guy that will have a long career and might not reach his potential until later in his career. Basically he's a tweener....too slow to guard quick guards.....too small to guard NBA SG's.

I also watched Towns a little bit....And I love this guys potential as a 7'0 center. He has great lateral movement, which allows him to guard all 5 positions. This is critical in the NBA, with all the pick and roll plays.

Since I like to look at players from a defensive perspective first, it opens my eyes to other players. In my opinion, Towns and Mudiay's defense are ahead of OK4 and Russells defense. The question is, how much do you value defense vs offense. I think Mike Dantoni really messed up 90% of all knick fans heads, thinking offense is more important, and defense will come later. Wrong.....if you are a solid defender at the college level, then you will be a solid defender in the NBA. If you are a weak defender in college, then for the most part you will be a weak defender in the NBA. Thats not the same for offense.....Offense is usually the first thing that improves when you come to the pros. This is why there are so many gems in every draft, because their value to tied to their offense. Look at Stanley Johnson....great defender and average on offense. I bet you we will look back at this draft and wonder how he was selected so late.

To make a long story short, Towns to me seems like the homerun pick we need, especially since he has a nice combination of offense and defense already. Someone who can guard the rim, and step out on the perimeter and apply man 2 man pressure defense as a 7'0 center is freakish.....He will fit right in, with other NBA bigs. OK4 doesn't have that elite athleticism right now, and will never be on Towns level as far as defense. But will Towns ever be on OK4 level, as far as offensive effeciency? Yes....

Think about it this way......The 2015 draft pick should not be relied on to build around. We all know about Kobe's of the world, Lebrons, Shaq, etc.....But for every Kobe, there are many NBA players that are drafted high and become journey men. Plus, there are no elite picks at the top of this draft like there was in drafts in the past. Basically, this draft is filled with solid rotation players, and a few gems hidden in the 1st round. So I believe you should use the draft for potential and free agents to fillout your talent. So why not take a chance on a player with a high ceiling (Anthony Davis or Westbrook potential), vs a player like OK4 who may never be better than Zack Randolph.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
blkexec
1/30/2015  3:00 PM
FistOfOakley wrote:i think what russell is classified as is moot for us... because most of the time any one of 3 positions can initiate the triangle action... it'd be very wasteful to have him on primary ballhandling duties and have him waste energy bringing it up the court but in the triangle the guards pull equal weight...

on defense he has some work to do but it's better for him to try and matchup with other sg's because he will eventually get a little bigger...

I don't think this pick should be about offense.....

This is NYC basketball.....built on defense. The best approach is first rank them for their defense....Then out of the best defenders, who has the most upside on offense?

I can't see OK4 turning into Anthony Davis on defense....But I can see Towns having that same impact. Plus Towns has the jump shot you need from a big inside the triangle. He's also not afraid to post up in the paint, which is probably his main weakness....But he's not terrible in the post, unlike his counter part who looks like Tyson 2.

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
2/2/2015  11:33 AM
FistOfOakley wrote:i think what russell is classified as is moot for us... because most of the time any one of 3 positions can initiate the triangle action... it'd be very wasteful to have him on primary ballhandling duties and have him waste energy bringing it up the court but in the triangle the guards pull equal weight...

He's a nice fit for us because we have Galloway and Calderon who will share PG duties and neither is really a pure PG at this point. Calderon used to be, but at this point in his career he's more effective in the type of a role Kidd played for us, a low mistake, part spot up shooter, part facilitator. Russell can eventually take on a harden/roy type role where he is the primary guard in the triangle offense and all you need is a derek fisher type shooter/defender at the PG. Hopefully galloway can eventually develop into that and we have our backcourt of the future with those two.

newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

2/2/2015  12:04 PM
BRIGGS wrote:What do you guys think of grabbing Tyler Harvey at 27 and buying a pick for Rakeem Christmas at 33-38?

I'm a Syracuse fan so i'd love to get Rakeem not just cause i'm a Cuse fan but because the kid can play. Most mock drafts have him going in the 2nd round but i can definitely see him going in the late 1st.
newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

2/2/2015  12:13 PM
Nalod wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:What do you guys think of grabbing Tyler Harvey at 27 and buying a pick for Rakeem Christmas at 33-38?

I LIke the idea of new yoot drafted with Triangle skill to enhance the systema and culture.
Interesting that Travis Wear has stuck and the longer he does the more I suppose he has a future here. I don't know.
I think the idea of buying a pick for cash is outdated. I can see teams swapping them for future ones. Teams don't need money do they??

Boston is hoarding picks!!!!
Im encouraged with the mid year redo by the team and how the play is improving. This roster is in a fluid state.

I think T.Wear will probably stick around to be a bench player next year.We have some really good players that will be awesome bench players for us next year and on. About Boston and all the damn picks they have.....D.Ainge is one of the smartest GM's in our league today and when he's ready to put that team back on the map he's gonna have a hell of a lot of assets to do it with in good young tradeable players and a whole lot of draft picks to trade for whatever players are out there and he's gonna make it tough for us to get who we want cause i'm thinking he's gonna be ready to build that team in either 2015 or 2016 right when we'll be trying to get the big names.
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

2/2/2015  12:30 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/2/2015  12:31 PM
D'Angelo Russell is going to be a stud in the NBA, and I hate the idea that we may miss out on this talented player. I think some of you are getting too caught up in labels. The game has changed. Is Steph Curry a pure pg? Take a look at his scouting report on NBAdraft.net when he came out of Davidson....They called him a combo guard who lacked explosiveness and athleticism. Said he was too small to guard 2g's and too slow to guard pg's....Said he wasn't a natural pg...Several years later, dude is a legit MVP candidate in the league.

Take a look around the NBA and pure PG's are few and far between. Instead of pg's you have more facilitators, like Lebron, Harden, Roy (pre-injuries), Carter-Williams, Tony Parker, etc...The thing that stands out to me most is his intelligence. Russell not only understands the game, but he studies the game and his opponent which tells me that this kid has the motivation to get better. He's also a natural leader according to what one of the commentators discusses during the Ohio St. Indiana game. Outside of shooting, his best skill is elite passer/facilitator. Russell is the real deal, and the more I watch him, the more I think he makes the most sense for us....

blkexec
2/2/2015  5:21 PM
Uptown wrote:D'Angelo Russell is going to be a stud in the NBA, and I hate the idea that we may miss out on this talented player. I think some of you are getting too caught up in labels. The game has changed. Is Steph Curry a pure pg? Take a look at his scouting report on NBAdraft.net when he came out of Davidson....They called him a combo guard who lacked explosiveness and athleticism. Said he was too small to guard 2g's and too slow to guard pg's....Said he wasn't a natural pg...Several years later, dude is a legit MVP candidate in the league.

Take a look around the NBA and pure PG's are few and far between. Instead of pg's you have more facilitators, like Lebron, Harden, Roy (pre-injuries), Carter-Williams, Tony Parker, etc...The thing that stands out to me most is his intelligence. Russell not only understands the game, but he studies the game and his opponent which tells me that this kid has the motivation to get better. He's also a natural leader according to what one of the commentators discusses during the Ohio St. Indiana game. Outside of shooting, his best skill is elite passer/facilitator. Russell is the real deal, and the more I watch him, the more I think he makes the most sense for us....

For years....knick fans wish they could win the lottery. This is the first time i hope we dont win the lottery. Give me Towns or Russell with the #2 or #3 pick.

yellowboy90

2/2/2015  5:51 PM
Uptown wrote:D'Angelo Russell is going to be a stud in the NBA, and I hate the idea that we may miss out on this talented player. I think some of you are getting too caught up in labels. The game has changed. Is Steph Curry a pure pg? Take a look at his scouting report on NBAdraft.net when he came out of Davidson....They called him a combo guard who lacked explosiveness and athleticism. Said he was too small to guard 2g's and too slow to guard pg's....Said he wasn't a natural pg...Several years later, dude is a legit MVP candidate in the league.

Last year before Phil was officially the Pres. Jackie McCallum reported that she asked Jackson what player today most fit the triangle and Phil immediately said Stephen Curry. If Phil does see Russel as a bigger Curry maybe he pulls the trigger.

Knixkik
USA
2/2/2015  8:53 PM
blkexec wrote:

For years....knick fans wish they could win the lottery. This is the first time i hope we dont win the lottery. Give me Towns or Russell with the #2 or #3 pick.

I agree to an extent. Okafor is no doubt the most impact player from the get, but as far as overall potential, we might be better off letting one of these players fall into our laps. It's too close to call. A top 4 pick is a must but I'm not getting too nervous about the top pick.

TPercy

2/2/2015  9:28 PM
One thing that is great about towns is that for a guy his size he has a decent handle of the ball and can finish well in transition.

On a side note Justin Anderson of Virginia is tough, great all round player and is very impactful on the defensive end. likely be early 2nd round

The Future is Bright!
Knixkik
USA
2/4/2015  2:22 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:

Last year before Phil was officially the Pres. Jackie McCallum reported that she asked Jackson what player today most fit the triangle and Phil immediately said Stephen Curry. If Phil does see Russel as a bigger Curry maybe he pulls the trigger.

That is very true. Russell is the closest thing coming into the league to Curry since Curry came himself, a bigger guard with great shooting, passing, and IQ. He may not be a pure point, but that doesn't matter.

yellowboy90

2/4/2015  3:13 PM
Knixkik wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:

That is very true. Russell is the closest thing coming into the league to Curry since Curry came himself, a bigger guard with great shooting, passing, and IQ. He may not be a pure point, but that doesn't matter.

The interesting thing is that Russel will come in taller, bigger, longer, and probably better defensively than Curry. If his handles improve to 75%-85% of Curry's he might become the best pg in the game in a short amount of time based on his shooting, passing, rebounding, and defensive ability. I can't think of a 6'5+ PG/combo G that had his shooting abilities.

BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
2/4/2015  6:30 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:

The interesting thing is that Russel will come in taller, bigger, longer, and probably better defensively than Curry. If his handles improve to 75%-85% of Curry's he might become the best pg in the game in a short amount of time based on his shooting, passing, rebounding, and defensive ability. I can't think of a 6'5+ PG/combo G that had his shooting abilities.

Id like to keep an open mind and clear slate over the last two months. To me the 3 guys who can go one are Russell Okafor and Towns. Mudiay is #4 in my book because he cant shoot very well.

RIP Crushalot😞
yellowboy90

2/4/2015  7:10 PM
I'm watching Rusell right now and really hope the knicks get the number 3 pick and Towns and ok4 is off the board
TPercy

2/4/2015  7:29 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:I'm watching Rusell right now and really hope the knicks get the number 3 pick and Towns and ok4 is off the board

We need a big more than a guard
The Future is Bright!
Official 2015 NBA Knick Draft Thread....

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy