[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Official 2015 NBA Knick Draft Thread....
Author Thread
mreinman
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3189

1/21/2015  11:12 AM
WaltLongmire wrote:
mreinman wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
FistOfOakley wrote:this is the game that made me believe towns was a lot better than okafor... louisville has a lot of frontcourt prospects also and him and stein were beating them up...

the first minute is the good stuff esp his work against the pnr and esp the 54s mark...

For some reason, none of the Towns highlight vids have impressed me so far. He looks like he'll be 2 or 3 years away from contributing in the nba. I might be being harsh, but I wouldn't expect much out of him in his first year.

probably true but this is a rebuild. He looks to have the most upside yet not ready for prime time.

The problem with taking a 2-3 year project is that the centerpiece of your team is showing signs of age, and you don't have your #1 next year.

If we were in a true rebuild, something we should have been thinking about before Jackson came on, you would not make a Bargs type deal, and you would not have signed Anthony, you would have done a sign and trade with him for picks and young players or expiring contracts.

If you are looking to pick up some FAs next year, I assume that they will be the kind of veteran players who you don't need to develop, other than getting them to buy into your offensive and defensive schemes.

If Anthony is seen as your future for the next 5 years, I'm not sure Jackson will pick a 3 year project, IMO.

well ... I really hope that we don't rush the rebuild because of CA's timeline.

Obviously the Bargs trade was awful but under a diff regime.

As far as Carmelo's timeline, don't think that Phil wanted to keep him but he probably did not have much choice since he can bring in a ton of money even during a rebuild.

So, I would not build based on Melo, I would build as if he were just another piece that is here not but may not be tomorrow.

so here is what phil is thinking ....
AUTOADVERT
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
1/21/2015  11:15 AM
If the Knicks were lucky enough to draft Okafor and landed Dragic--to me they'd have a big 3 and would still have significant assets to fill in the blanks.
You'd have a 20 points pivot a 20 point wing and a 20 point PG. You can fill in with a couple of defenders a couple of 3 point shooters a rim protector etc... but if we had Melo Dragic Okafor--this team is back to 50+ wins next year.
RIP Crushalot😞
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/21/2015  11:26 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/21/2015  11:28 AM
mreinman wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:wouldn't it be funny if we carmelo anthony, cleanthony early and karl-anthony towns on the same team, then we traded for anthony morrow, they all should get the same haircut, wear the same headband and wear jersey numbers 7, 17, 27, 37.

lol

and they solicited greg ANTHONY to coach.

We need Anthony Davis!!!
I think Greg Anthony better suited as assistant coach, Karl Malone can as well.

Who coaches??? George Karl! Of course!!!

mreinman
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3189

1/21/2015  11:59 AM
Nalod wrote:
mreinman wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:wouldn't it be funny if we carmelo anthony, cleanthony early and karl-anthony towns on the same team, then we traded for anthony morrow, they all should get the same haircut, wear the same headband and wear jersey numbers 7, 17, 27, 37.

lol

and they solicited greg ANTHONY to coach.

We need Anthony Davis!!!
I think Greg Anthony better suited as assistant coach, Karl Malone can as well.

Who coaches??? George Karl! Of course!!!

Anthony Randolph is killin it in europe and Randolph Morris has so much potential.

Anfernee Hardaway!! badabing!

so here is what phil is thinking ....
RonRon
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #246
1/21/2015  12:11 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/21/2015  12:16 PM
BRIGGS wrote:If the Knicks were lucky enough to draft Okafor and landed Dragic--to me they'd have a big 3 and would still have significant assets to fill in the blanks.
You'd have a 20 points pivot a 20 point wing and a 20 point PG. You can fill in with a couple of defenders a couple of 3 point shooters a rim protector etc... but if we had Melo Dragic Okafor--this team is back to 50+ wins next year.

Those 3 each bring a different skill set, believe or not, if that was the BIG 3, then it actually depends on the other 2 players and what they bring on both ends
5 players > than 3 players that brings different skill sets, there will be weaknness's in each of their games
Especially if we play a traditional Center or a stretch 4
In todays game, we must be able to defend BOTH time of opponents though with consistency
GS and Atlanta is proving that, Spurs have proved that for many years

In todays league its is far different from the past
Even when you have a BIG 3, their skills must work together to make EVERYONE else a threat and make everyone else better including the BIG 3 themselves
I do not believe that would achieve it,
You do not bring in ONE defensive player and expect us to be a good defensive team, it doesn't work that way
It is why Tyson Chandler is doing very good in Dallas and didn't work with us
It is why I want players that have HIGH IQ and could do a bit of EVERYTHING
By the post you make, I could tell you do not watch the games and how they defend, what they do, how they are able to do it

It is why I want to target players in both GS and Atlanta, as they clearly understand the fundamentals that are missing in todays games especially on DEFENSE
Todays game is evolved and you must evolve as it changes, which is being able to defend EVERY threat and all players on the floor with consistency

In all honesty, I do not believe you can build around CA as your first piece, not with the way we are built, and the lack of ways we can actually improve in the next couple of years
Also your BIG 3, makes us instanct play contenders but not contenders for a ring
It comes down to if CA is a franchise talent or not, which I do not think he is, he simply doesn't bring enough to the table outside of scoring/shooting
I would much rather trade CA for a combination of young players and some picks, 1-2 1st rounders in this draft, and 3-6 2nd rounders, most of which is in this draft

I also do not believe Dragic would choose NYK if any team offers anything even CLOSE to what we can offer because of our HIGH tax and media/scrutiny
This is a very strong draft and if we can target a couple of the Kentucky players and some other talents while trading CA for a DECENT return, we would be a much better team in the long run, as soon as our #1 develops (which would be in 1-3years, in which CA will decline much by then)
Houston would still be the team I would have the most interest in trading CA to as they have all our 2nd round picks in the near future, in addition to many other 2nd rounders, some 1st rounders, and some nice young players taht would fit our system

DMO *his post up game has improved much and he can also hit wide open 3pters, and facilitate for a BIG*
Terrence Jones
Beverely
Koustas Pap (as a salary fill in with a nonguaranteed contract)
Brewer
Cannon
Their backup PF/C

If we can get a couple of these players

The only reason why I think we can land Draymond Green is because of the payroll of the GS Warrios and their are a small market team
If we can add or trade CA for Kawaii/Butler, I would surely do it as well....
I would still offer them MAX contracts regardless, as it limits the Bulls and Spur's ability to improve and build their roster with a 3 day window to chase FA's and retain their young STAR

I am not sure if a Poison Pill would be enough to lure Draymond Green over but Poison Pills is another way we should about grabbing talent as we could take the hit in year 3 regardless (even though the salary cap is project to bump up signifigantly)

I know you are devaluing what Draymond Green brings to the table though
They were a TOP DEFENSIVE team even without a Center and Green was a big part of that, with his ability to rebound, defend, steals, spread the floor, post up, and facilitate as well

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
1/21/2015  12:25 PM
I think Briggs was trying to point out that it wouldn't take as much to actually put together a core that would lead to winning. He's not saying that is all we need. In fact we have enough cap space to get a Dragic and a player like Draymond Green. It's really going to be up to Golden State cuz Green is a Restricted Free Agent. A player like Dragic is Unrestricted. The Knicks best chances are with the UFA's since they are in complete control of where they sign. So if we are fortunate enough to Draft Okafor it would make a huge impact on the team's efforts to build a new core immediately. Now if we don't land Okafor or Towns the Knicks can still fashion a nice core if they draft a guard and then focus on bigs in Free Agency.
RonRon
1/21/2015  12:38 PM
I am thinking DEFENSE and players that will provide leadership, work ethic, and an extension coach on the floor, while they are still young and will improve

Dragic is HIGHLY efficient however, especially for a PG
Assuming we land a TOP pick or trade down for multiple picks if NOT

I would much rather make sure we build on players that can defend and teach our young guys how to play with chemistry/floor spacing/and how to defend/communicate
Even if we added Dragic, with CA here, it leaves us a a small window in contending with their respective ages
However, the players I want to pay for are ALL YOUNG and will help speed the development of our young guys and make us much better defensive players

I have watched enough GS and Atlanta games to say that those are the players to target
Especially with GS where they run similar philosophies from our system and The Spur's
Unless we are able to add 2 more huge impact players with Dragic or ONE more and MULTIPLE steals in the range of 2m, 3m, 5m, I do not think it would be enough talent

The reason why I would OFFER A MAX to Kawaii is so they would have a problem matching a deal for Danny Green, especially if they are able to acquire Marc Gasol
We do not have to acquire Danny Green but a team will pay upwards of 8m for his ability to stretch the floor and defend mulitple positions

F500ONE
Member: #5844

1/21/2015  1:04 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/21/2015  3:39 PM
RonRon wrote:I am thinking DEFENSE and players that will provide leadership, work ethic, and an extension coach on the floor, while they are still young and will improve

I would much rather make sure we build on players that can defend and teach our young guys how to play with chemistry/floor spacing/and how to defend/communicate
Even if we added Dragic, with CA here, it leaves us a a small window in contending with their respective ages
However, the players I want to pay for are ALL YOUNG and will help speed the development of our young guys and make us much better defensive players

I have watched enough GS and Atlanta games to say that those are the players to target
Especially with GS where they run similar philosophies from our system and The Spur's
Unless we are able to add 2 more huge impact players with Dragic or ONE more and MULTIPLE steals in the range of 2m, 3m, 5m, I do not think it would be enough talent

The reason why I would OFFER A MAX to Kawaii is so they would have a problem matching a deal for Danny Green, especially if they are able to acquire Marc Gasol
We do not have to acquire Danny Green but a team will pay upwards of 8m for his ability to stretch the floor and defend mulitple positions

I advocated trading Shump and J.R. Smith for MKG and Gerald Henderson early in the season

But because I threw in the holy grail 2018 untouchable 1st in the deal

Some got boiling hot mad red with anger

Melo doesn't need to be surrounded with a bunch of 1-way scoring blahzay novelty type players

We need more

Amirs, Knights, Hendus, Chandlers, Youngs, MGKs, McDaniels, Carrolls, Middletons

and less

Jacksons, Dragics, Monroes, Afflalos, Thompsons, Fredettes, Evans, Williams, Harris

BRIGGS
1/21/2015  3:37 PM
F500ONE wrote:
RonRon wrote:I am thinking DEFENSE and players that will provide leadership, work ethic, and an extension coach on the floor, while they are still young and will improve

I advocated trading Shump and J.R. Smith for MKG and Gerald Henderson early in the season

But because I through in the holy grail 2018 untouchable 1st in the deal

Melo doesn't need to be surrounded with a bunch of 1-way scoring blahzay novelty type players

We need more

Amirs, Knights, Hendus, Chandlers, Youngs, MGKs, McDaniels, Carrolls, Middletons

and less

Jacksons, Dragics, Monroes, Afflalos, Thompsons, Fredettes, Evans, Williams, Harris

It's in the Knicks best short and long term interests to get the number 1 available talent from the draft and tremendous stability at PG. It doesnt necessarily mean this will be a Melo player player team. A Melo Dragic Okafor based team will create stability and will increase major tier 1 FA interest for 2016. It is also possible that stability of the team and Melo's health will provide an avenue to trade him at maximum price in 2015 if that is the way they want to go. Getting the best players is the smart route--you have 12 other options to help fill in the blanks.

RIP Crushalot😞
Nalod
USA
1/21/2015  3:51 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
F500ONE wrote:

We need more

and less

It's in the Knicks best short and long term interests to get the number 1 available talent from the draft and tremendous stability at PG. It doesnt necessarily mean this will be a Melo player player team. A Melo Dragic Okafor based team will create stability and will increase major tier 1 FA interest for 2016. It is also possible that stability of the team and Melo's health will provide an avenue to trade him at maximum price in 2015 if that is the way they want to go. Getting the best players is the smart route--you have 12 other options to help fill in the blanks.

We got a shot for a franchise changing player to pair with Melo and a boat load of cap space. Players and agents are not stupid, they will access the scenario by which the team improves and they will be part of the process. The disaster that is this yer is not the disaster going forwerd.

If Marc Gasol (as an example) is available and takes phil's call, and say we do get Okafor then PHil will explain the Triangle and how a player like can succeed in it with Melo as well. Venture to say that has the prospects to be in two years one of the best front lines in the game.
Or how Mundiay or Russell can be the next Jordan/Kobe and how good life is when that happens.

So many possibilities its fun.

Unless your F500 who is the Debbie downer who just took a dump in the room and says "hey, told you this place stinks".

Good for us he does not run the team.

F500ONE

1/21/2015  3:54 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/21/2015  3:54 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
F500ONE wrote:

But because I threw in the holy grail 2018 untouchable 1st in the deal

We need more

and less

I wasn't implying Melo players but moreso less offense centric, legit 2-way guys

Knight > Jackson & Dragic if we're talking point guards

BRIGGS
1/21/2015  4:14 PM
Nalod wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
F500ONE wrote:

We need more

and less

We got a shot for a franchise changing player to pair with Melo and a boat load of cap space. Players and agents are not stupid, they will access the scenario by which the team improves and they will be part of the process. The disaster that is this yer is not the disaster going forwerd.

If Marc Gasol (as an example) is available and takes phil's call, and say we do get Okafor then PHil will explain the Triangle and how a player like can succeed in it with Melo as well. Venture to say that has the prospects to be in two years one of the best front lines in the game.
Or how Mundiay or Russell can be the next Jordan/Kobe and how good life is when that happens.

Unless your F500 who is the Debbie downer who just took a dump in the room and says "hey, told you this place stinks".

If you look at the players Ron Ron and fm are talking about they are almost all essentially players picked up in rd 2 Those players are valuable as fill in the blanks but u don't build a team based on them. It's the other way around

RIP Crushalot😞
F500ONE

1/21/2015  4:26 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/21/2015  5:53 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
Nalod wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
F500ONE wrote:

We need more

and less

If you look at the players Ron Ron and fm are talking about they are almost all essentially players picked up in rd 2 Those players are valuable as fill in the blanks but u don't build a team based on them. It's the other way around

Actually if you look at the two sets of players I listed

Almost draft position for position it's even

You're more tilted towards the second group

If you want we can list where each player was selected It's pretty close

Matter of fact my list more than likely contains more lottery-to 1st rounders

What you're falling short at, is understanding this is a business and it's important

To maximize your expenses and not squander them

But hey you got bent all out of shape missed opportunities

For passing on #1 overall picks in Nate Wolters and Hasaan Whiteside

Another mental note by me when you're trying to build teams lusting for these type of talents

RonRon
1/22/2015  10:54 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/22/2015  10:57 AM
BRIGGS wrote:
Nalod wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
F500ONE wrote:

We need more

and less

Briggs you have said you would have traded CA for Nate Walters (Steve Nash) and Kelly Olinicks (Marc Gasol)
You also said Mike Muscula was a PF that shouldn't play Center and you would have drafted him with a mid round pick
I know you hit it hard sometimes with good picks but

Just saying....

I cannot see how you can justify giving a MAX offer to Reggie Jackson but not even think Draymond Green is worth it, while comparing him to Quincy Acy...

Seriously???

Because you do not watch the games, is thats why your evulation of talent is higher????

Talent is Talent, what did you think about Kyle Kover when he was a Bull and then traded to Atlanta, what about now?
I am not saying he is an ALL STAR but we sometimes stereotype talent and we can be completely wrong with their importance
You cannot measure value to a team with BOXSCORES, as Korver is clearly more valueable than the STATS he brings

And Draymond Green is very skilled, he is not just a role player....

RonRon
1/22/2015  11:18 AM
BRIGGS wrote:This is Troy Williams by the way. Hes a SF for Indiana

He surely has impressive athleticism and maybe even great length/reach as well
I wonder if Utah's, former slam dunk champ, Jeremy Evans, as he doesn't get much PT nowdays
It doesn't mean he hasn't developed though, like Gereld Green who was not getting PT or playing well in Indiana, and was traded with Miles Plumlee/Gereld Green and a 1st rounder for Scola

Courntey Lee and Jeff Green are players that were not playing well in Boston but has found new homes in Memphis and both are now good fits and steals in terms of the trade to acquire them

I have interest in Jeremy Evans but it is hard to evaluate him if he doesn't get to play, especially if we can sign him in the neigborhood of vet min to 2m on a multiyear contract 2-3years with team options
Lets not forget Gereld Green, James Johnson, Brandon Wright, were all once "garbage" even played for D League and are not steals that have both athleticism and skills

Not saying Evans will be one but he certainly has the physical tools to be a solid rotation player that we cannot determine the value of with high upside

BRIGGS
1/22/2015  11:26 AM
RonRon wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Nalod wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
F500ONE wrote:

We need more

and less

Briggs you have said you would have traded CA for Nate Walters (Steve Nash) and Kelly Olinicks (Marc Gasol)
You also said Mike Muscula was a PF that shouldn't play Center and you would have drafted him with a mid round pick

Just saying....

I cannot see how you can justify giving a MAX offer to Reggie Jackson but not even think Draymond Green is worth it, while comparing him to Quincy Acy...

Seriously???

Because you do not watch the games, is thats why your evulation of talent is higher????

Talent is Talent, what did you think about Kyle Kover when he was a Bull and then traded to Atlanta, what about now?
I am not saying he is an ALL STAR but we sometimes stereotype talent and we can be completely wrong with their importance
You cannot measure value to a team with BOXSCORES, as Korver is clearly more valueable than the STATS he brings

I would never have traded Carmelo Anthony for any of the names you suggested--thats insane. Those names Muscala Walters and Green were my picks when we had the 25th pick in the draft 2 years ago.
The only thing I would trade Carmelo for is a maximum asset deal nothing even less. That measn 3 draft picks two young players.

RIP Crushalot😞
RonRon
1/22/2015  11:49 AM
BRIGGS wrote:
RonRon wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Nalod wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
F500ONE wrote:

We need more

and less

Just saying....

Seriously???

I would never have traded Carmelo Anthony for any of the names you suggested--thats insane. Those names Muscala Walters and Green were my picks when we had the 25th pick in the draft 2 years ago.
The only thing I would trade Carmelo for is a maximum asset deal nothing even less. That measn 3 draft picks two young players.

You actually made many posts about them, are you really denying you ever said that?

Nalod
USA
1/22/2015  1:09 PM
Towns, or Okafor.

We half way there.

Who do we take at 3? 4 or 5??

smackeddog
Member: #883
1/22/2015  1:34 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/22/2015  1:35 PM
Nalod wrote:Towns, or Okafor.

We half way there.

Who do we take at 3? 4 or 5??

Too many decisions and uncertainties. Personally, I hope we do end up with Towns or OK4, simply because it seems most of the realistic, good free agents are back court players: Beverley, Dragic, Wes Mathews, Danny Green, Jimmy Butler (if he continues to slip in performance), Reggie. Where as I'm not so convinced by the front court free agents. I think due to their winning, both Monroe (Detroit will max him out 5 years) and Milsap will stay with their teams. So maybe we need to use the draft to repair the front court, and use free agency to repair the backcourt. Maybe even drafting a SF would be okay if we move Melo to PF.

FistOfOakley
Member: #3075

1/22/2015  2:56 PM
i really like delon wright and i think he'll play his way into the top 5 if he's not there already... he has a decent team behind him and if they go far in the tourney he'll have a lot of momentum going into the draft...

wc stein is also in the discussion... as is russel and mudiay... stanley johnson will be talked about but i don't think is realistic given our situation with melo...

Official 2015 NBA Knick Draft Thread....

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy