Here is my draft update from Real GM from January 8th
Author Thread
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

2/1/2015  10:04 AM
knickscity wrote:
TPercy wrote:
blkexec wrote:This is what scares me about picking OK4.....Haven't we learned from our past? About drafting undersized post players?

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/06/michael-sweetneys-fall-from-knicks-savior-to-puerto-rico/

Michael Sweetney's fall from Knicks savior to Puerto Rico
Kurt Helin Apr 6, 2010, 9:55 AM EST

There was a time when some of the Knicks fan base — some smart parts of the Knicks fan base — were high on Michael Sweetney. He looked good in limited minutes, he needed more burn. He got his chance. And…

Now he’s in Puerto Rico, having left the D-League.

Sweetney has signed with Cangrejeros de Santurce according to Sportando (who follows these things). Sweetney had played in the D-League over the weekend, putting up a double-double of 10 and 10 for the Erie Bay Hawks.

The Knicks drafted Sweetney ninth overall in 2003 out of Georgetown, and he had some potential as a scorer and rebounder. In his rookie year he had a PER of 17.2 (above the league average of 15) and the next season it was 16.4. There were moments you thought he could be a good player in the league. But the man got fat. Not on success, I mean literally. He ate his way out of the league (but if you’re going to do that, New York is the place). His numbers dropped amid questions about his work ethic and conditioning. He went on to play for the Bulls for a couple years, but when teams could let him go, they did.

Now, a very gifted player has taken his game to the island. And not Manhattan Island.

Undersized? Fawk you mean he is 6 "10 270 bro....

6'10 for a center is undersized. Not really sure if he's 270 either.

Al Horford is 6'10 about 250....He's not the most mobile and was not known as a defensive beast entering the NBA....Seems to be doing okay in ATL....

AUTOADVERT
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
2/1/2015  10:06 AM
I have only seen OK4 play a couple of times. While he looks like he is talented...I just don't see a game changer that warrants a #1 overall pick. I just don't want this to be a Michael Olowokandi or Kwame Brown scenario for us. Both those players had the measurables but when I watched them before their draft they just didn't scream #1 pick. Same with OK4. I don't know. You guys have seen this guy more than me. I am just going by my first impression(s).
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
2/1/2015  10:08 AM
The NBA is no longer the league of the 7'1" centers anymore. Shorter and more skilled seems to be the norm nowadays as long as you can give a defensive presence on the rim. Okafor will be fine even if he isn't the best defensive presence of the lottery.
Knicks_Fan
VCoug
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1406

2/1/2015  11:10 AM
blkexec wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
TPercy wrote:How the hell is emmanuel higher than Towns? the dude is still injured right and he is playing in freaking China. They are just a bunch of tall dudes that just stand there and play no defense. there national team played Georgetown and got destroyed.

Karl Towns continued lack of production. Believe me Id love Towns to force his way back into the top 3 or even 1 but he hasnt been close. I think he needs to sit down and understand he needs to bring his mental game every night and give 115% physically. CBB only play 4/10 of the season the NBA does--you need guys who are going to be there every night. He has given games where he has blocked 7 balls and grabbed 12 rebounds in 23 minutes. What he needs to do is put everything together and demand the ball and more PT from his playing efforts. Production will increase his draft stock but he will not fall below 6 in any case.

I think Karl Towns will impact the defense like OK4 will impact the offense.

The difference is Towns has a post up game with several offensive moves to build on.

OK4 doesn't have defensive instincts in the post, especially with help defense. His lateral movements on defense is slow and will get exposed in pick and rolls.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if OK4, Towns or Russell was taken #1. My pick depends on my gut feeling and intel on what position will I be able to fill in FA. If I know I can get a solid post player like Gasol...I might draft Russell. But if there are a lot of play makers leaning towards coming to NY (Dragic), then I would take Towns.

I rather go for a homerun swing (Towns or Russell), than a safe pick in OK4. At worse all three will be roll players....The difference is at best, Towns and Russell will be future Allstars....Even Mudiay has more upside / potential.

Draft Strategy
NBA. Draft for potential.
NFL. Draft for production.

The only time you think about drafting for production at the top of the draft, is if you are a championship contender, looking to make it back to the NBA finals again. If you are the worse team in the league, you swing for the fence. OK4 is safe, but Towns, Russell, Stanley Johnson, even Mudiay are more intriguing due to their upside as a two way players. Fellas, I've been crying for more two way players, which has always been our achilles heel. This draft is filled with 2way players. OK4 is not one of them.

I'm hoping we don't win the #1 pick year. Our best pick will be whoever falls to us at the 2nd, 3rd or 4th pick.

I will give OK4 one talent that Phil loves, and thats his passing skills (of course his post skills too). OK4 would be excellent in the triangle, with his passing alone. And on the right team, in the right system, OK4 can look like a star on offense. But will his offense over shadow his defense? Will he be another Amari, where he comes in for offense and sits on defense? Pick Towns....polish up his post moves.....And you have a diandre jordan / anthony davis type potential, with more offensive upside than Jordan and more post presence than Davis.

OK4 just seems like a trap pick....He's a good player to draft, and hopefully I'm wrong. But I don't think he's the prize pick in the 2015 draft.

There's a little part of me that wants to draft 3rd so Okafor and Towns are (probably) off the board and we can take Stanley Johnson worry free. I really like Johnson and think he has a higher ceiling than Okafor without the bust potential of Towns. A smarter, not crazy Ron Artest is how a lot of people are describing him and that would be awesome.

When it comes right down to it though, if we're picking 1st overall I'm taking Towns.

Now the joy of my world is in Zion How beautiful if nothing more Than to wait at Zion's door I've never been in love like this before Now let me pray to keep you from The perils that will surely come
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
2/1/2015  11:51 AM
VCoug wrote:
blkexec wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
TPercy wrote:How the hell is emmanuel higher than Towns? the dude is still injured right and he is playing in freaking China. They are just a bunch of tall dudes that just stand there and play no defense. there national team played Georgetown and got destroyed.

Karl Towns continued lack of production. Believe me Id love Towns to force his way back into the top 3 or even 1 but he hasnt been close. I think he needs to sit down and understand he needs to bring his mental game every night and give 115% physically. CBB only play 4/10 of the season the NBA does--you need guys who are going to be there every night. He has given games where he has blocked 7 balls and grabbed 12 rebounds in 23 minutes. What he needs to do is put everything together and demand the ball and more PT from his playing efforts. Production will increase his draft stock but he will not fall below 6 in any case.

The difference is Towns has a post up game with several offensive moves to build on.

OK4 doesn't have defensive instincts in the post, especially with help defense. His lateral movements on defense is slow and will get exposed in pick and rolls.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if OK4, Towns or Russell was taken #1. My pick depends on my gut feeling and intel on what position will I be able to fill in FA. If I know I can get a solid post player like Gasol...I might draft Russell. But if there are a lot of play makers leaning towards coming to NY (Dragic), then I would take Towns.

I rather go for a homerun swing (Towns or Russell), than a safe pick in OK4. At worse all three will be roll players....The difference is at best, Towns and Russell will be future Allstars....Even Mudiay has more upside / potential.

Draft Strategy

The only time you think about drafting for production at the top of the draft, is if you are a championship contender, looking to make it back to the NBA finals again. If you are the worse team in the league, you swing for the fence. OK4 is safe, but Towns, Russell, Stanley Johnson, even Mudiay are more intriguing due to their upside as a two way players. Fellas, I've been crying for more two way players, which has always been our achilles heel. This draft is filled with 2way players. OK4 is not one of them.

I'm hoping we don't win the #1 pick year. Our best pick will be whoever falls to us at the 2nd, 3rd or 4th pick.

I will give OK4 one talent that Phil loves, and thats his passing skills (of course his post skills too). OK4 would be excellent in the triangle, with his passing alone. And on the right team, in the right system, OK4 can look like a star on offense. But will his offense over shadow his defense? Will he be another Amari, where he comes in for offense and sits on defense? Pick Towns....polish up his post moves.....And you have a diandre jordan / anthony davis type potential, with more offensive upside than Jordan and more post presence than Davis.

OK4 just seems like a trap pick....He's a good player to draft, and hopefully I'm wrong. But I don't think he's the prize pick in the 2015 draft.

There's a little part of me that wants to draft 3rd so Okafor and Towns are (probably) off the board and we can take Stanley Johnson worry free. I really like Johnson and think he has a higher ceiling than Okafor without the bust potential of Towns. A smarter, not crazy Ron Artest is how a lot of people are describing him and that would be awesome.

When it comes right down to it though, if we're picking 1st overall I'm taking Towns.

Johnson is OK. From what i've seen of him he could just as easily be a bust. Those Ron Artest comparisons are dead on which makes me feel he's not the guy we need to hope we get. We need a franchise player or at the least a very high impact player. A guy that is pretty much a Ron Artest clone just doesn't fit that niche to me. How is a guy like Stanley Johnson going to warp a defense? Usually an elite guard or big man has a chance to either break a defense down from the perimeter or disrupt a defense down low and force help defenders to cheat in and open up shooters. What exactly would Johnson be bringing to the table in that regard? Sure Johnson will likely be a bulldog on D and a bully on offense but it's not the same impact you get at the Guard and Bigman spots. For me its Okafor, Towns or Russell at the top and then even Mudiay or WCS before i'd consider Johnson. This is just purely from a team construction point of view. I want a Guard or Big.
knickscity
Member: #4241
USA
2/1/2015  11:59 AM
Uptown wrote:
knickscity wrote:
TPercy wrote:
blkexec wrote:This is what scares me about picking OK4.....Haven't we learned from our past? About drafting undersized post players?

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/06/michael-sweetneys-fall-from-knicks-savior-to-puerto-rico/

There was a time when some of the Knicks fan base — some smart parts of the Knicks fan base — were high on Michael Sweetney. He looked good in limited minutes, he needed more burn. He got his chance. And…

Sweetney has signed with Cangrejeros de Santurce according to Sportando (who follows these things). Sweetney had played in the D-League over the weekend, putting up a double-double of 10 and 10 for the Erie Bay Hawks.

The Knicks drafted Sweetney ninth overall in 2003 out of Georgetown, and he had some potential as a scorer and rebounder. In his rookie year he had a PER of 17.2 (above the league average of 15) and the next season it was 16.4. There were moments you thought he could be a good player in the league. But the man got fat. Not on success, I mean literally. He ate his way out of the league (but if you’re going to do that, New York is the place). His numbers dropped amid questions about his work ethic and conditioning. He went on to play for the Bulls for a couple years, but when teams could let him go, they did.

Now, a very gifted player has taken his game to the island. And not Manhattan Island.

Al Horford is 6'10 about 250....He's not the most mobile and was not known as a defensive beast entering the NBA....Seems to be doing okay in ATL....

If often injury is the definition of ok then yeah...he's doing ok.
yellowboy90
Member: #3538

2/1/2015  12:04 PM
Uptown wrote:
knickscity wrote:
TPercy wrote:

Al Horford was definitely known for being mobile and a defensive presence, it's why he went #3. Horford was the "Towns" and Noah was the "Stein".

re: OK4- We need to take into account that he was 17/18 when he was measured. He is likely still growing

gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
2/1/2015  12:37 PM
nixluva wrote:
VCoug wrote:
blkexec wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

Draft Strategy

Johnson is OK. From what i've seen of him he could just as easily be a bust. Those Ron Artest comparisons are dead on which makes me feel he's not the guy we need to hope we get. We need a franchise player or at the least a very high impact player. A guy that is pretty much a Ron Artest clone just doesn't fit that niche to me. How is a guy like Stanley Johnson going to warp a defense? Usually an elite guard or big man has a chance to either break a defense down from the perimeter or disrupt a defense down low and force help defenders to cheat in and open up shooters. What exactly would Johnson be bringing to the table in that regard? Sure Johnson will likely be a bulldog on D and a bully on offense but it's not the same impact you get at the Guard and Bigman spots. For me its Okafor, Towns or Russell at the top and then even Mudiay or WCS before i'd consider Johnson. This is just purely from a team construction point of view. I want a Guard or Big.

Chris Singleton All world defense anyone?

BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
2/1/2015  8:32 PM
I moved Domantas Sabonis into the later lottery. he looks much better than some of the other younger stud PF's projected in roh nd #1.
RIP Crushalot😞
BRIGGS
2/4/2015  11:53 PM
Febuary 5th not adding foreign players yet

1a. Jahill Okafor PF
1b. Deangelo Russell PG/SG
1c. Karl Towns C/PF
---------------------
4. Emmanuel Mudiay PG
------------------------
5. Bobby Portis PF
6. Stanley Johnson SF
7. Devin Booker SG
8 Kris Dunn PG
-------------------------
9 Frank Kaminsky PF c
10 Justice Winslow SF
11 Jerian Grant PG
12 Rakeem Christmas PF
13 Montrezl Harrell PF
14 Domantas Sabonis PF
15 Terry Rozier PG
16.Willie Stein C
17 Christian Wood PF
18.Delon Wright PG
19 Myles Turner PF
20 Nigel-Williams Goss PG
21 Kelly Oubre SG
22 Kevin Looney F
23 Justin Andersen SF
24 Damian Jones C
25 Tyler Harvey PG
26 Tyus Jones PG
27 Sam Decker SF
28 Zach Auguste C/PF
29 Larry Nance JR PF
30 Robert Upshaw C

RIP Crushalot😞
BRIGGS
2/8/2015  5:09 PM
Feb 8th Update

Febuary 8th
1a. Jahill Okafor PF
1c. Karl Towns C/PF
---------------------
4. Emmanuel Mudiay PG
4b. Kristaps Porzingis PF
4c. Bobby Portis PF
4d. Justice Winslow SF
-----------------------
8. Devin Booker SG
8b Stanley Johnson SF
8c Kris Dunn PG
8d. Rakeem Christmas PF
---------------------------
12 Frank Kaminsky C/PF
13 Jerian Grant PG
14 Montrzel Harrell PF
15 Terry Rozier PG
16.Willie Stein C
17 Domantas Sabonis PF
18.Delon Wright PG
19 Myles Turner PF
20 Nigel-Williams Goss PG
21 Kelly Oubre SG
22 Kevin Looney F
23 Justin Andersen SF
24 Damian Jones C
25 Tyler Harvey PG
26 Christian Wood PF
27 Sam Decker SF
28 Rashad Vaughn SG
29 Larry Nance JR PF
30 Gary Payton Jr PG

RIP Crushalot😞
BRIGGS
2/11/2015  9:28 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/11/2015  10:20 AM
Febuary 11th
Some massive movement for the first time in 6 weeks. I have a new number 1 pick and new entry into the top 7 Christian Wood with Bobby Portis moving to 4. Also Willie Stein back into the lottery along with Tyus Jones. A couple of first time top 30 players in Kyle Wiltjer #27 and AJ Hammonds #30. Jahill Okafor with Russell remain tightly contested for pick 1 but has fallen back to pick #3.

1a. Karl Towns C/PF
1c. Jahill Okafor PF
---------------------
4. Bobby Portis PF
4b. Kristaps Porzingis PF
4c. Emmanuel Mudiay PG
4d. Christian Wood PF
-----------------------
8. Justice Winslow SF
8b Stanley Johnson SF
8c Kris Dunn PG
8d. Rakeem Christmas PF
---------------------------
12 Willie Stein C
13 Jerian Grant PG
14 Tyus Jones PG
15 Frank Kaminsky PF
16.Montrezl Harrell PF
17 Devin Booker SG
18.Delon Wright PG
19 Myles Turner PF
20 Terry Rozier PG
21 Domantas Sabonis PF
22 Kevin Looney F
23 Justin Andersen SF
24 Damian Jones C
25 Kelly Oubre SG
26 Tyler Harvey PG
27 Kyle Wiltjer F
28 Rashad Vaughn SG
29 Larry Nance JR PF
30 A J Hammonds C

RIP Crushalot😞
Here is my draft update from Real GM from January 8th

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy