[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Here is my draft update from Real GM from January 8th
Author Thread
nixluva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #758
USA
1/27/2015  2:53 PM
My take on Towns is that once he's freed from that Kentucky team he's gonna be a monster. He needs space to operate and more looks from different spots where he can stretch his wings. Right now he's just not in a situation where he can really open up his game and I think it's affecting him in a negative way. Not only that but being on a team with so many good players he may be getting into a lazy mode cuz he isn't depended on to have to carry a bigger load. If he was on his own team with less help he'd have to do more. I still really like the kid's upside cuz physically he looks like he has yet to really develop and I can see him really filling out a bit more and getting stronger in the lower body.
AUTOADVERT
TPercy
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #5748

1/27/2015  3:02 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
TPercy wrote:How the hell is emmanuel higher than Towns? the dude is still injured right and he is playing in freaking China. They are just a bunch of tall dudes that just stand there and play no defense. there national team played Georgetown and got destroyed.

Karl Towns continued lack of production. Believe me Id love Towns to force his way back into the top 3 or even 1 but he hasnt been close. I think he needs to sit down and understand he needs to bring his mental game every night and give 115% physically. CBB only play 4/10 of the season the NBA does--you need guys who are going to be there every night. He has given games where he has blocked 7 balls and grabbed 12 rebounds in 23 minutes. What he needs to do is put everything together and demand the ball and more PT from his playing efforts. Production will increase his draft stock but he will not fall below 6 in any case.

Even if this is true, Mudiay hasn't had any "production" Since he got injured in december.
The Future is Bright!
FistOfOakley
Member: #3075

1/27/2015  3:16 PM
kentucky is a bit of a special situation since there hasn't been a collection of frontcourt talent assembled ever... you have 4 potential lottery guys plus poythress was moved to SF to accommodate..

if you judge on a per minute basis... the fact that towns has kept up with cauley stein on the defensive end as a freshman plus his potential on the offensive side speaks volumes.. cauley stein should be somewhere in the top 6 or 7 himself just based on his defense...

he's the best two way player at a premium position which is why i think he's #1...

BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
1/31/2015  9:44 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/1/2015  8:30 PM
January 31 th
1a. Jahill Okafor PF
1b. Deangelo Russell PG/SG
----------------------
3. Karl Towns C/PF
4. Emmanuel Mudiay PG
5. Bobby Portis PF
6. Stanley Johnson SF
7. Devin Booker SG
8 Frank Kaminsky PF c
9 Myles Turner PF
10 Jerian Grant PG
11 Willie Stein C
12 Domantas Sabonis PF
13 Justice Winslow SF
14 Kris Dunn PG
15 Rakeem Christmas PF
16.Montrezl Harrell PF
17 Christian Wood PF
18.Delon Wright PG
19 Tyler Harvey PG
20 Terry Rozier PG
21 Kelly Oubre SG
22 Kevin Looney F
23 Jakob Poeltl C
24 Damian Jones C
25 Dakari Johnson C
26 Justin Andersen SF
27 Sam Decker SF
28 Troy Williams SF
29 Trey Lyles PF
30 Robert Upshaw C
RIP Crushalot😞
blkexec
Member: #748
1/31/2015  10:43 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/31/2015  10:57 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
TPercy wrote:How the hell is emmanuel higher than Towns? the dude is still injured right and he is playing in freaking China. They are just a bunch of tall dudes that just stand there and play no defense. there national team played Georgetown and got destroyed.

Karl Towns continued lack of production. Believe me Id love Towns to force his way back into the top 3 or even 1 but he hasnt been close. I think he needs to sit down and understand he needs to bring his mental game every night and give 115% physically. CBB only play 4/10 of the season the NBA does--you need guys who are going to be there every night. He has given games where he has blocked 7 balls and grabbed 12 rebounds in 23 minutes. What he needs to do is put everything together and demand the ball and more PT from his playing efforts. Production will increase his draft stock but he will not fall below 6 in any case.

I think Karl Towns will impact the defense like OK4 will impact the offense.

The difference is Towns has a post up game with several offensive moves to build on.

OK4 doesn't have defensive instincts in the post, especially with help defense. His lateral movements on defense is slow and will get exposed in pick and rolls.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if OK4, Towns or Russell was taken #1. My pick depends on my gut feeling and intel on what position will I be able to fill in FA. If I know I can get a solid post player like Gasol...I might draft Russell. But if there are a lot of play makers leaning towards coming to NY (Dragic), then I would take Towns.

I rather go for a homerun swing (Towns or Russell), than a safe pick in OK4. At worse all three will be roll players....The difference is at best, Towns and Russell will be future Allstars....Even Mudiay has more upside / potential.

Draft Strategy
NBA. Draft for potential.
NFL. Draft for production.

The only time you think about drafting for production at the top of the draft, is if you are a championship contender, looking to make it back to the NBA finals again. If you are the worse team in the league, you swing for the fence. OK4 is safe, but Towns, Russell, Stanley Johnson, even Mudiay are more intriguing due to their upside as a two way players. Fellas, I've been crying for more two way players, which has always been our achilles heel. This draft is filled with 2way players. OK4 is not one of them.

I'm hoping we don't win the #1 pick year. Our best pick will be whoever falls to us at the 2nd, 3rd or 4th pick.

I will give OK4 one talent that Phil loves, and thats his passing skills (of course his post skills too). OK4 would be excellent in the triangle, with his passing alone. And on the right team, in the right system, OK4 can look like a star on offense. But will his offense over shadow his defense? Will he be another Amari, where he comes in for offense and sits on defense? Pick Towns....polish up his post moves.....And you have a diandre jordan / anthony davis type potential, with more offensive upside than Jordan and more post presence than Davis.

OK4 just seems like a trap pick....He's a good player to draft, and hopefully I'm wrong. But I don't think he's the prize pick in the 2015 draft.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
blkexec
1/31/2015  10:54 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/31/2015  10:56 PM
This is what scares me about picking OK4.....Haven't we learned from our past? About drafting undersized post players?

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/06/michael-sweetneys-fall-from-knicks-savior-to-puerto-rico/

Michael Sweetney's fall from Knicks savior to Puerto Rico
Kurt Helin Apr 6, 2010, 9:55 AM EST

There was a time when some of the Knicks fan base — some smart parts of the Knicks fan base — were high on Michael Sweetney. He looked good in limited minutes, he needed more burn. He got his chance. And…

Now he’s in Puerto Rico, having left the D-League.

Sweetney has signed with Cangrejeros de Santurce according to Sportando (who follows these things). Sweetney had played in the D-League over the weekend, putting up a double-double of 10 and 10 for the Erie Bay Hawks.

The Knicks drafted Sweetney ninth overall in 2003 out of Georgetown, and he had some potential as a scorer and rebounder. In his rookie year he had a PER of 17.2 (above the league average of 15) and the next season it was 16.4. There were moments you thought he could be a good player in the league. But the man got fat. Not on success, I mean literally. He ate his way out of the league (but if you’re going to do that, New York is the place). His numbers dropped amid questions about his work ethic and conditioning. He went on to play for the Bulls for a couple years, but when teams could let him go, they did.

Now, a very gifted player has taken his game to the island. And not Manhattan Island.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
BRIGGS
1/31/2015  11:08 PM
blkexec wrote:This is what scares me about picking OK4.....Haven't we learned from our past? About drafting undersized post players?

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/06/michael-sweetneys-fall-from-knicks-savior-to-puerto-rico/

There was a time when some of the Knicks fan base — some smart parts of the Knicks fan base — were high on Michael Sweetney. He looked good in limited minutes, he needed more burn. He got his chance. And…

Sweetney has signed with Cangrejeros de Santurce according to Sportando (who follows these things). Sweetney had played in the D-League over the weekend, putting up a double-double of 10 and 10 for the Erie Bay Hawks.

The Knicks drafted Sweetney ninth overall in 2003 out of Georgetown, and he had some potential as a scorer and rebounder. In his rookie year he had a PER of 17.2 (above the league average of 15) and the next season it was 16.4. There were moments you thought he could be a good player in the league. But the man got fat. Not on success, I mean literally. He ate his way out of the league (but if you’re going to do that, New York is the place). His numbers dropped amid questions about his work ethic and conditioning. He went on to play for the Bulls for a couple years, but when teams could let him go, they did.

Now, a very gifted player has taken his game to the island. And not Manhattan Island.

I think Okafor is 6 10.5 with q 7-5 wingspan. I read what you said about Towns and you made some excellent articulate points. The bottom line to me is Okafor 1 Russel 2 Towns 3 and Ill be happy to get anyone of them.

RIP Crushalot😞
TPercy

1/31/2015  11:11 PM
blkexec wrote:This is what scares me about picking OK4.....Haven't we learned from our past? About drafting undersized post players?

Undersized? Fawk you mean he is 6 "10 270 bro....
The Future is Bright!
dk7th
Member: #4228
USA
1/31/2015  11:19 PM
i agree with blkexec okafor doesn't look as big as he is listed.
knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
blkexec
1/31/2015  11:27 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/31/2015  11:32 PM
TPercy wrote:

So I wasn't referring to his actual height....but rather his defensive presence is nonexistent in the paint. You can be the biggest guy on the court...and play small. We've all seen this before, especially from young bigs.....Even during normal pickup games.

You know the types, his father is on the side line screaming.....Everybody is like, do you know he's only blah blah blah....age?

You see him again, and he still plays softer than his size. It happens.....Everybody doesn't have that fight in them.....and Everybody in todays specialized culture doesn't play both ends of the floor. When you have a superstar like Melo, who takes plays off on defense, you have to surround him with defensive players that play both sides. Not players that have the same deficiencies....or take up the same spots on the floor.....

F500ONE
Member: #5844

1/31/2015  11:28 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/31/2015  11:34 PM
dk7th wrote:i agree with blkexec okafor doesn't look as big as he is listed.

Kid's physical specs are not to be questioned

There have been plenty pics with him towering over Melo

And we know Melo might be pushing 300lbs by season's end

blkexec
1/31/2015  11:39 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/31/2015  11:42 PM
Like someone said already.....I think Nix....

You draft Towns....Open up his wings.....And let him fly. You don't know what you have in these young guys.....Thats why the 1st round is filled with freshmens. It's all about who has the biggest upside. Thats how you get lucky and find gems. College production doesn't always say too much, unless the numbers are way off the charts like Kevin Durrant at Texas. Otherwise, you have players like Michael Jordan whos stats was nothing in college, due to the NC system they played. Jordan said, when he got to the NBA, it was a natural fit. He felt like a bird being free from a cage. I have a feeling this draft will have a lot of birds waiting to be free.....They're games will fit the NBA better than College. And this is just my gut feeling, but Towns seems like that type of player. Russell has that type of game too.....Someone that could step into the NBA, with instant success. But I always got a soft spot for my two way players.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
2/1/2015  12:14 AM
blkexec wrote:Like someone said already.....I think Nix....

You draft Towns....Open up his wings.....And let him fly. You don't know what you have in these young guys.....Thats why the 1st round is filled with freshmens. It's all about who has the biggest upside. Thats how you get lucky and find gems. College production doesn't always say too much, unless the numbers are way off the charts like Kevin Durrant at Texas. Otherwise, you have players like Michael Jordan whos stats was nothing in college, due to the NC system they played. Jordan said, when he got to the NBA, it was a natural fit. He felt like a bird being free from a cage. I have a feeling this draft will have a lot of birds waiting to be free.....They're games will fit the NBA better than College. And this is just my gut feeling, but Towns seems like that type of player. Russell has that type of game too.....Someone that could step into the NBA, with instant success. But I always got a soft spot for my two way players.

Yeah my point is that Towns is gonna look like a completely different guy in the pros. The spacing in the NBA is so much different. Wider 3 point distance and less of an ability to clog things up in the paint without paying a penalty. The same will happen for Okafor. I would be ecstatic with either Towns or Okafor. I think Towns actually is the best fit for playing with Melo in this system. He has the defense and he can actually shoot a jumper, which in this offense is a plus.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
2/1/2015  2:47 AM
Finally you guys are making sense. Every night I dream of Towns in a Knick jersey complimenting Melo. While OK4 and Melo get in each other's way. Love Russell and Mudiay but not in this system
knickscity
Member: #4241
USA
2/1/2015  7:26 AM
TPercy wrote:

6'10 for a center is undersized. Not really sure if he's 270 either.
TPercy

2/1/2015  8:21 AM
knickscity wrote:
TPercy wrote:

For a while now it has been implied he will play the 4 when he is in the NBA

The Future is Bright!
blkexec
2/1/2015  8:44 AM
TPercy wrote:
knickscity wrote:
TPercy wrote:

Too slow for PF....Too small for a center.

blkexec
2/1/2015  8:52 AM
gunsnewing wrote:Finally you guys are making sense. Every night I dream of Towns in a Knick jersey complimenting Melo. While OK4 and Melo get in each other's way. Love Russell and Mudiay but not in this system

I think Russell has the tools on offense to fit the system. And hes light enough to move laterally and agile enough to guard PGs. I think Mudiay has a similar game as kobe, as far as carrying a team with his 1 on 1 scoring and ability to break down the defense. If he improves his shot then he can fit in just like kobe and jordan did....and his low side will be similar to JR Smith....Depending on his IQ Development.

knickscity
Member: #4241
USA
2/1/2015  9:00 AM
TPercy wrote:
knickscity wrote:
TPercy wrote:

I havent seen anyone say this.
BRIGGS
2/1/2015  9:24 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/1/2015  9:26 AM
knickscity wrote:
TPercy wrote:
knickscity wrote:
TPercy wrote:

I havent seen anyone say this.

I think he's a 4 but I'm not overly obsessed by position. Atlanta is 40-8 playing 2 skilled pf SAN ANTONIO plays the double skilled pf. I think any Knicks fan needs to be happy with any choice in the top 4 we can argue pick when we know draft position. Ok4 is the safe pick at 1 and if Towns ends up a better player that's ok. OKAFOR will be great in the nba and if we get him I'm sure everyone will be excited
RIP Crushalot😞
Here is my draft update from Real GM from January 8th

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy