[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Starting Power Forward
Author Thread
nixluva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #758
USA
10/19/2014  7:07 PM
How could you accuse me of thinking everything Knicks do is great after how I bashed what they did under Woodson and Dolan? I have enough self esteem to not be bothered by attacks on my posts here. I think you lack respect for the BB knowledge our staff has and the decisions they're making so far.

Just cuz PnR isn't the primary focus of the offense doesn't mean we won't use it. My point is that Fish isn't working on stuff like PnR since he knows guys can run that. Fish wants to expand the BB skills of his players by teaching them other ways to play. If you think that isn't the right approach that's fine but I agree with what Fish is doing. But perhaps you know better than Phil and his staff about his to develop a team.

AUTOADVERT
Splat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #5862

10/19/2014  7:26 PM
PnR is part of every team's repertoire no doubt. To suggest they will not use it because of the triangle is wrong IMO. Fish or Phil may say stuff like "we don't really emphasize PnR or need it", blah blah, but you know it will be a perfect thing to do at different moments, particularly when other teams don't see us use as much as others. It adds another element of surprise.
I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!
nixluva
USA
10/19/2014  7:44 PM
Splat wrote:PnR is part of every team's repertoire no doubt. To suggest they will not use it because of the triangle is wrong IMO. Fish or Phil may say stuff like "we don't really emphasize PnR or need it", blah blah, but you know it will be a perfect thing to do at different moments, particularly when other teams don't see us use as much as others. It adds another element of surprise.

Just watching the games you can see we still run PnR. It's just part of basketball. The difference for us is that it's not the very 1st thing or primary part of the offense anymore. I think it's a good thing to have an offense that mixes it up. Literally EVERYONE uses PnR and it's a staple, but it can be good to give defenses something different to look at and try to stop. If this team was further along in adjusting to the Triangle there would probably be less complaining, but since the team is predictably struggling at times, that leads to complaints. People need to relax and let things develop.
RonRon
Member: #246
10/19/2014  7:58 PM
You praised all the moves while the moves were made, you bashed AFTER the result was given in the end of the season

Some comments you made include

"there is no reason to believe, we couldn't replicate our 54 win season, people here (on UK), are seriously not understanding the upgrades and talent we have on our roster"

RonRon
Member: #246
10/19/2014  8:25 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/19/2014  8:36 PM
My last post regarding this Nix....

Did you not praise the moves to trade for

1- AB
2- Keeping Pablo
3- signing MWP

BTW, for 2-3, it cost us the mini MLE

You thought and continue to think you know more than EVERYONE ELSE here

At the time posting multiple videos/defending AB, showing videos of him from 2010 and before, using stats from prior to 2010 season and his best year/years while blocking out all of his horrible years

4- despite trading our 2016 1st round pick, and 2 2nd rounders for him, you actually thought he was a steal
From the START, you said you though AB is a perfect stretch 4 in this system, when you mentioned lineups and rotations, you always had him at PF, usually either with Chandler or with STAT, and with CA at the 3, NEVER had AB at Center

Often with lineups like

Felton
Iman/JR
CA
AB
Chandler

guess which was our WORST lineup last season

or

Pablo/Felton
SG
CA
AB
STAT

really? how many poor defenders can you put together and expect a postive result?

Back to now

Larkin
STAT

5- Each player plays well in the PnR with the talents to do so
6- Together, they should work together coheisveily, they have shown the ability to actually do well and FIT in a PnR based offense...

Tim Hardway JR
JR SMith

7- Would both JR's be able to spread the floor and play well in uptempo OFFENSE better than a slower pace?

Larkin
Hardaway JR
JR Smith
STAT or AB *i don't think he struggled in the triangle btw, just with injuries/health*
Basically anyone from a PF/C or Center to a Forwards like CA/Outlaw and even Wear if he is brought in, so it depends on the matchup....

8- Which players do you think have struggled? how many of these players have shown they were LOST in the triangle but would do well in a PnR system?

9- Can this lineup be successful in a PnR based OFFENSE?
They are all predictly to come off the bench, so why force something if we are trying to win?
These are guys that have telent and FIT together with their skill set

You often think you know more than others here, well I am here to point out some of your opinions as you continue to do so on UK
You yourself have said Larkin shouldn't be compared to players that are playing in a PnR based OFFENSE and the system itself takes away the traditional skills/abilities of PG's
Larkin has speed/quickness/ability to penetrate/shoot/and can facilitate, he would fit in perfect with STAT and allow both Tim Hardaway JR/JR Smith and the team to be able to catch and shoot, while they both tend to take poor % shots, having the ball in Larkin's hands prevents that
So the system takes away from Larkin's ability and STAT's, while JR Smith has stuggled in the system, still heaving poor shots....

I am adding on to the same exact points that you have made, so I know nothing about the system and you know more....

knickscity wrote:
nixluva wrote:
Splat wrote:
nixluva wrote:
It's very disappointing but it's also still early and there's no reason to push things. I'd say the same about anyone on this team at this point. Bargs looked good and so far only STAT and JR have looked way out of it. It's not a high pressure situation at this point. Bargs can be brought along slowly and it won't impact things negatively this year cuz of Phil stocking the roster with more talent. For those who poo poo'd the work Phil did it's clear he did a pretty good job of tweaking the roster and making it better IMO. With so much risk of injury it was important that Phil got as much help as he could on this bench.

Meh! Pressey is in a different situation. I'm pretty sure Larkin would look more comfortable in a PnR based O which is his strong suit coming out of college. This system is totally different for him. In a PnR set he would be more aggressive since that is the nature of how a PG is expected to run a PnR play. Now he has to hold back his aggression, pass off and wait, read and react which is a totally different role.

The fact that Larkin's bread and butter is the pick & roll makes me less inclined to keep him. Why try to fit a circle into a square hole? Portland should have interest in him and I think CJ McCullom is a much better fit for us.

You're talking like you know Bynum will be able to pick up the Triangle better than Larkin. You really don't know that for sure. Bynum isn't a cerebral player. He's uses his physical talent more than his mental game to beat opponents. He's not a floor general at all. I don't know that he's the Triangle guard Prototype either. Mostly you want guys that are strong shooters and Bynum isn't really that.

I agree. The pickups made now largely negate the chaos of assembling a rotation. If Bargs is just a passionless sofa fart or if Amare can't add 1+1, we can deal with it now. Our frontline this season in no way depends upon either of them and that is a good thing. This is just another example of Phil transitioning the club into his image one step at a time.

+1 Million. But then i'm just a shill for the Knicks so nothing I say is valid...
Splat

10/19/2014  8:33 PM
You will definitely see Fish trying out Larkin with combos that include any mix of Amare, Tim and JR for sure. Makes perfect sense to see if you can find a good Speed Kills combination that works. Amare would gladly hustle down court if he knows he's getting some yummy time on the down low.
nixluva
USA
10/19/2014  8:58 PM
When did I ever say I know more than everyone? This is your own interpretation and that's fine, but let's not make this personal. It could get ugly on this forum if I solely focused all my attention on you and everything you've ever said. We could do that if you want but that's not how I think we should do things here. I haven't gone back and dug up every thing you've posted about the team, so let's take it easy unless you want to make this a personal war all year.
RonRon wrote:My last post regarding this Nix....

Did you not praise the moves to trade for

1- AB
2- Keeping Pablo
3- signing MWP

BTW, for 2-3, it cost us the mini MLE

You thought and continue to think you know more than EVERYONE ELSE here

At the time posting multiple videos/defending AB, showing videos of him from 2010 and before, using stats from prior to 2010 season and his best year/years while blocking out all of his horrible years

4- despite trading our 2016 1st round pick, and 2 2nd rounders for him, you actually thought he was a steal
From the START, you said you though AB is a perfect stretch 4 in this system, when you mentioned lineups and rotations, you always had him at PF, usually either with Chandler or with STAT, and with CA at the 3, NEVER had AB at Center

Often with lineups like

Felton
Iman/JR
CA
AB
Chandler

guess which was our WORST lineup last season

or

Pablo/Felton
SG
CA
AB
STAT

really? how many poor defenders can you put together and expect a postive result?

My MAIN point about Bargs was that he was a very good PnP big and that he should be used that way. You can go and research my comments about that. I did expect that he'd be used at PF. But just to be clear, Bargs only played as a C on defense and not on offense. On offense Bargs still played more of a midrange to perimeter PF role and not a deep post like a C. I said he was good Man defender but a poor help defender. The issue we had was that I felt Woodson as not using Bargs to his best ability. Yes it turned out that Bargs was also very useful at C for us when Tyson was out. To go on and on about Bargs last year is hard since he only played half a season.

RonRon wrote:Back to now

Larkin
STAT

5- Each player plays well in the PnR with the talents to do so
6- Together, they should work together coheisveily, they have shown the ability to actually do well and FIT in a PnR based offense...

Tim Hardway JR
JR SMith

7- Would both JR's be able to spread the floor and play well in uptempo OFFENSE better than a slower pace?

Larkin
Hardaway JR
JR Smith
STAT or AB *i don't think he struggled in the triangle btw, just with injuries/health*
Basically anyone from a PF/C or Center to a Forwards like CA/Outlaw and even Wear if he is brought in, so it depends on the matchup....

8- Which players do you think have struggled? how many of these players have shown they were LOST in the triangle but would do well in a PnR system?

9- Can this lineup be successful in a PnR based OFFENSE?
They are all predictly to come off the bench, so why force something if we are trying to win?
These are guys that have telent and FIT together with their skill set

You often think you know more than others here, well I am here to point out some of your opinions as you continue to do so on UK You yourself have said Larkin shouldn't be compared to players that are playing in a PnR based OFFENSE and the system itself takes away the traditional skills/abilities of PG's
Larkin has speed/quickness/ability to penetrate/shoot/and can facilitate, he would fit in perfect with STAT and allow both Tim Hardaway JR/JR Smith and the team to be able to catch and shoot, while they both tend to take poor % shots, having the ball in Larkin's hands prevents that So the system takes away from Larkin's ability and STAT's, while JR Smith has stuggled in the system, still heaving poor shots....

I am adding on to the same exact points that you have made, so I know nothing about the system and you know more....

I still don't think you're getting the point of what the team is working on in preseason or what the Triangle itself is all about.

5 and 6 - Yes Larkin and STAT are PnR players and have been so successfully. That doesn't mean they shouldn't try to learn how to play in the triangle effectively. As stated before PnR is also an option in the Triangle and it will be used. It's just not the primary focus of the offense.

7 - Yes THJ, Larkin and JR can get out and run. Fish actually likes for his 2nd unit to be able to change the pace. The Triangle doesn't mean you can't run and get early offense. In fact that is part of the offense too. This isn't the part these players would have trouble with so Fish having them slow down and run the sets is the focus of preseason. You can't always run so you'd better have the half court stuff down.

8 and 9 - It's really makes no sense to go on about a PnR offense when that is already part of the Triangle Offense. Running when it's there and getting a PnR are all part of the offense already. Against the better teams it's going to be most important to effectively be able to run the half court sets. That's really the main reason they're working on it so much in preseason. Running and using PnR is the easy part.

knickscity
Member: #4241
USA
10/19/2014  9:02 PM
Smh.
Splat

10/19/2014  9:03 PM
There is one reason Bargs is immune from straight up, normal, logic. He could be a good shooter, could be good in a PnR, could play decent man D, whatever. The one reason none of it really matters is he has no heart and doesn't really want to be a professional ball player. His talent took him as far as he will ever go and there is no upside to this guy. You cannot depend on him and he will let you down. He'll have a great first quarter and vanish the rest of the game. Forget about Bargs if you want to keep your sanity. He's a non-entity as a competitor and you can't build anything around this guy. He's just filler. Back-up. Bench insurance. That's it.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

10/20/2014  8:00 AM
Splat wrote:There is one reason Bargs is immune from straight up, normal, logic. He could be a good shooter, could be good in a PnR, could play decent man D, whatever. The one reason none of it really matters is he has no heart and doesn't really want to be a professional ball player. His talent took him as far as he will ever go and there is no upside to this guy. You cannot depend on him and he will let you down. He'll have a great first quarter and vanish the rest of the game. Forget about Bargs if you want to keep your sanity. He's a non-entity as a competitor and you can't build anything around this guy. He's just filler. Back-up. Bench insurance. That's it.

Did you just describe Amare?

Anyway alot of over the top opinions. That's why Fisher is going to end up starting Jason Smith or Quincy Acy

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
EnySpree

10/20/2014  8:04 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/20/2014  8:05 AM
Anyway....I like jason smith and Quincy Acy at the 4 for us...I would keep Travis wear as the 3rd string.

Bargs and Amare both need to be shipped for whatever. Keep it real, they are expiring contacts and neither are in the furore plans. Both can still contribute, but they really should take a hike.

Rondo is dangling and so is kobe in my opinion. If gladly dump both off for them or similar players

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

10/20/2014  8:07 AM
EnySpree wrote:Anyway....I like jason smith and Quincy Acy at the 4 for us...I would keep Travis wear as the 3rd string.

Bargs and Amare both need to be shipped for whatever. Keep it real, they are expiring contacts and neither are in the furore plans. Both can still contribute, but they really should take a hike.

Rondo is dangling and so is kobe in my opinion. If gladly dump both off for them or similar players

amare and bargs are pretty much unmoveable right now otherwise they would have been gone already. Maybe at the trade deadline someone would take a chance on amare but we probbaly wont get anything
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
10/20/2014  8:15 AM
Keep in mind jason smith is very injury prone. I wouldn't start him. I would go with Acy and let them build cobsession instead of shuffling guys in and out of the lineup ala Woodson
EnySpree

10/20/2014  9:01 AM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
EnySpree wrote:Anyway....I like jason smith and Quincy Acy at the 4 for us...I would keep Travis wear as the 3rd string.

amare and bargs are pretty much unmoveable right now otherwise they would have been gone already. Maybe at the trade deadline someone would take a chance on amare but we probbaly wont get anything

We don't have to get the big names. The Philly deal makes alot of sense. Bargs could be flipped the same way.

EnySpree

10/20/2014  9:03 AM
gunsnewing wrote:Keep in mind jason smith is very injury prone. I wouldn't start him. I would go with Acy and let them build cobsession instead of shuffling guys in and out of the lineup ala Woodson

In fisher we trust

Splat

10/20/2014  11:56 AM
EnySpree wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:Keep in mind jason smith is very injury prone. I wouldn't start him. I would go with Acy and let them build cobsession instead of shuffling guys in and out of the lineup ala Woodson

In fisher we trust

That's King Fisher to you

nixluva
USA
10/20/2014  12:02 PM
I think they feel Bargs value could be enhanced with a prominent role. Fish had him starting and he was hyping him up before the injury. I think they're still holding out hope that he can get healthy cuz it would only help trade value if Bargs was showing progress. Remember that unlike STAT Bargs hasn't had the knee surgery and he's younger too. Bargs will turn 29 at the end of Oct.
There could still be some interest if Bargs has a good season. It's worth a try. Perhaps no one bites even if Bargs has a great season and they decide to keep him on a more reasonable contract. Who knows what will happen, but I think they will be patient in dealing with him.
Splat

10/20/2014  12:15 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/20/2014  12:15 PM
Stat & Bargs will not be resigned by the NY Knicks, so any recurring fantasies that somehow either of these guys are going to play their socks off this year and be rewarded with a new contract by us can be donated to the Make-A-Wish Foundation along with any other fantasies about Kobe becoming a Knick (he is retiring a Laker).

The last thing in the world Phil is going to do is keep on the deadwood players of the past, guys who performed so far below expectations after being paid rivers of cash that they can never make up for the shortfall.

This is going to be Phil's team and that means new players next year to fill the spots of Stat & Bargs.

gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
10/20/2014  12:21 PM
Remember "Clusmy?"
babyKnicks
Member: #1191
USA
10/20/2014  2:14 PM

Very very solid point, i think jason smith has not played more than 51 games a season. we got many more than that from Amare.

i think that amare may resign ala the heat players for a like a vet min or something similar to stay.

Also, with the lebron coming home theme, i could easily see him heading back to phoenix or orlando (high school).

Either way, i'm cool with Jason smith starting and amare backing him up...love acy, but think he will be better used backing up melo and the 4 at 15 minutes per game, not for heavy minutes against top competition.

I suspect he's not someone we can throw at cleveland or chicago in a 5 game series and expect to come out on top.

During the season, i'm all for minutes for the group, but in the playoffs we really need to think about a series with coaching adjustments and one thing we know is coaches can adjust to hustle, and at the moment, ACY is all hustle...

Jason Smith - complete package when healthy.
Amare - we know stat can bring it in the playoffs
Bargs - no comment.

speaking of amare and playoffs, my favorite playoff highlight of all time from Amare on the knicks... brings tears to my eyes every time i see it... enjoy:

Let's go Knicks. That's amare
Starting Power Forward

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy