[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Starting Power Forward
Author Thread
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

10/18/2014  8:58 PM
Splat wrote:No problem with any of it. Pour moi, it still all boils down to Stat earning his minutes as I don't believe he is a lock for anything. So, of course you want to run offensive sets that get him the ball in a good position, preferably on the move to the rim, but I don't focus on that as I consider it a moot point. If the coach wants to use him, I already assume as much from a guy as smart as Fish.

We rib the triangle...we don't run offensive sets to get him shots. That's the problem. The Knicks have plenty of guys to fill the rotation. It's hard to tell acy, Jason or bargs that they have to sit. If Philly or the Lakers want to make a deal I'd be totally with it

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
AUTOADVERT
RonRon
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #246
10/18/2014  9:13 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/18/2014  9:14 PM
Larkin
JR Smith
STAT/AB

I just don't understand why we MUST run the triangle and the triangle alone
While, I do want the players on the roster to learn how to execute the system, I think the players above are PnR players with talents
Shouldn't we playing the strenghts of the personel we have?

At least untill we collect the talents we need to fully impliment the triangle?
With the East being fairly open for the last 3 spots or so, shouldn't we be focused on trying to WIN?

Calderon/CA could play well and fit in any system on OFF

The thing about the triangle is you must have a dominant POST presence that has the ability to

1- score 1v1
2- create double teams AND be able to past out of it (STAT showed he can score but is not a facilitator/passer)
3- have the shooters/good cuts/spacing, and probing to react how the defense plays them (in other words have high IQ, look to take high % shots, and create for others with catch and shoot)

UK Posters here must understand that the triangle limits the ability for guards, especially PG's, to penetrate and finish all the way as the post will usually have a help defender there due to the system

Guards can still penetrate but it is more about penetrating to draw defenders and dishing out to a shooter or cuttor
If they score, it is about using a pull up or jump shot, rather than penetrate all the way like majority of the entire NBA

The PnR is the most simple play to run and execute, while it is also the hardest to defend
THere is a reason why the entire league is running it, why should we limit ourselves to just the Triangle?

For CA to be efficient, I think we should look to build a team that can run the triangle and also have the abilities/talents/verasitlities to impliment a TEAM USA strategy that CA was successful at playing the PF as a stretch 4
I don't know if that is financially possibly with Calderon and CA earning 30m out of about 68m predicted salary for next season (could also jump higher)

- JR Smith will opt out
- Pablo's retires (forgoes salary and a scout/advisor) or gets traded

- Larkin's option/Tim Hardway gets picked up

We could have about 30m to spend this summer but if we are looking for discounts to sign players, ask why should those talents choose to go to NYK

So we can target 2 players in the range of about 15m or divide it up, 3 players in the range of 10m, or however...
Since we have Cole Aldrich's early bird rights and his cap hold is only for the vet min, we could use his salary to go over the cap at 68m in order to have the 5m MLE(will be 6m MLE)
That is an extra MLE that we can use on 1 or 2 players (we can also use this to resign JR Smith as we would have to forgoe his bird rights expire/cap hold in order to have more money to spend in FA)
We also have the 3.6m trade exemption to use in trades, expires 1 year from the Tyson Chandler trade

If we are able to unload STAT or AB to The Sixers for a trade exemption with limited assets, like Tim Hardaway JR or Iman and a 2018 2nd rounder, we could also use that exemption to go back in the luxury tax
While Durant might be "far fetched" there are talents that could be on the cheap like David Lee (would be an expiring after next year), do to Klay Thompson demanding a max extension

both Iman and Acey will be RFA and if a team offers them decent money or overpays for them, we might lose them for nothing but that will be up to PJ

While I don't think Marc Gasol is worth a max salary, I think a team will overpay for his services regardless
Also I wouldn't be surprised if DeANdre Jordan isn't resigned with Spencer Hawes there and they will over the luxury tax if they kept him
With Jordan demanding a contract of over 10m, it is hard to play both him and Griffen together to close games, unless Blake continue to improve his FT%

Malik959
Member: #5864

10/18/2014  9:44 PM
I love stats but this was last years, this is a new system in-which he has been slow to learn and doesn't deserve the starting nod. I'd give him till Jan 1st before even thinking about starting him. Make him prove himself in THIS offense in which he looks lost.
Malik959
Member: #5864

10/18/2014  9:52 PM
As far as Ace I'm not a fan but he is growing on me. I didn't see him starting until after these games. I was expecting 3rd string but in previous teams there were only two scorers in the triangle - Jordan/ Pippen, Kobe/ Shaq. We don't need Ace to be a ten pg play, but he needs to be Mr. Intangible so I can see why Fish would go with him.
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
10/18/2014  10:05 PM
RonRon wrote:Larkin
JR Smith
STAT/AB

While, I do want the players on the roster to learn how to execute the system, I think the players above are PnR players with talents

With the East being fairly open for the last 3 spots or so, shouldn't we be focused on trying to WIN?

The thing about the triangle is you must have a dominant POST presence that has the ability to

1- score 1v1
2- create double teams AND be able to past out of it (STAT showed he can score but is not a facilitator/passer)
3- have the shooters/good cuts/spacing, and probing to react how the defense plays them (in other words have high IQ, look to take high % shots, and create for others with catch and shoot)

UK Posters here must understand that the triangle limits the ability for guards, especially PG's, to penetrate and finish all the way as the post will usually have a help defender there due to the system

Guards can still penetrate but it is more about penetrating to draw defenders and dishing out to a shooter or cuttor
If they score, it is about using a pull up or jump shot, rather than penetrate all the way like majority of the entire NBA

The PnR is the most simple play to run and execute, while it is also the hardest to defend
THere is a reason why the entire league is running it, why should we limit ourselves to just the Triangle?

You underestimate the flexibility of the Triangle. Right now we have guys trying to learn to run the system which entails a lot of basic information. They have to get the spacing, timing, movement and passing down. Once they have the basic concepts they will understand how to freelance within the offense.

Also you have to understand that there are plenty of PnR two man game opportunities in the Triangle. They just don't focus the attack on the PnR. You also get a lot of give and go options. There are openings to freelance as well. It's just gonna take time for everyone to recognize the options.

This video from a court level view might be helpful to see how much motion is going on.
http://www.nba.com/knicks/video/2014/10/15/141014_CourtsideViewmp4/

H1AND1
Member: #5648

10/18/2014  10:51 PM
EnySpree wrote: I think if we have to adjust the game to much for Amare to get his then we are going backwards.

Exactly this.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
10/18/2014  11:44 PM
Splat wrote:
Panos wrote:So I've seen separate reports that Acy or Jason Smith could be our starting PF.
If Amare is 100% healthy, how come he is not in the conversation as possible starter?

New Regime wants new culture

Your starting five is the essential statement to your team as whole as to how you want them to play the game. On a roster without many high level defenders, the first unit has to be the best defensive unit overall to set the tone for this team. If they play well together, they can score enough to get leads early if the D is there.

That requires a unit that plays team defense and implements the triangle, neither of which Stat is qualified for. Of the two frontline bigs with expiring contracts, Bargs is way more suitable to start than Amare.

But neither will likely start unless there is a shortage of bodies due to injury, because they are not part of the future. They will be used in a utilitarian fashion to fill in holes where needed.

Stat is the worst choice for a starter on this present team. Acy or Smith are far more appropriate.

Oh, and did you somehow forget Stat has a history of not playing well with Melo on the floor? Occasionally, but mostly not.

Amare is already in the rear view mirror for this club. He could play if he plays D and doesn't become a ball stopper and gets his points in the flow of the game. Or he could end up riding the bench. But he is not going to be a featured player, unless they have a trading partner already lined up and want to give him a little shine. But showcasing him now in order to entice a trade makes no sense.

This. Also, I do think Shump should start and if he does I think Smith at the 4 is the better choice.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Splat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #5862

10/18/2014  11:53 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
Splat wrote:
Panos wrote:So I've seen separate reports that Acy or Jason Smith could be our starting PF.
If Amare is 100% healthy, how come he is not in the conversation as possible starter?

New Regime wants new culture

Your starting five is the essential statement to your team as whole as to how you want them to play the game. On a roster without many high level defenders, the first unit has to be the best defensive unit overall to set the tone for this team. If they play well together, they can score enough to get leads early if the D is there.

That requires a unit that plays team defense and implements the triangle, neither of which Stat is qualified for. Of the two frontline bigs with expiring contracts, Bargs is way more suitable to start than Amare.

But neither will likely start unless there is a shortage of bodies due to injury, because they are not part of the future. They will be used in a utilitarian fashion to fill in holes where needed.

Stat is the worst choice for a starter on this present team. Acy or Smith are far more appropriate.

Oh, and did you somehow forget Stat has a history of not playing well with Melo on the floor? Occasionally, but mostly not.

Amare is already in the rear view mirror for this club. He could play if he plays D and doesn't become a ball stopper and gets his points in the flow of the game. Or he could end up riding the bench. But he is not going to be a featured player, unless they have a trading partner already lined up and want to give him a little shine. But showcasing him now in order to entice a trade makes no sense.

This. Also, I do think Shump should start and if he does I think Smith at the 4 is the better choice.

It seems it will be Smith or Acy to start the season. Fish dropped hints (and little birdlike droppings inexplicably; too much trail mix I guess) today that he will consider Smith to start so I think we will see him start in the next game or two to test that combo.

Starting Smith certainly gives us the potential to start some games blazing if we are converting. Smith, Jose and Melo at the same time gives you infinite range and could create matchup problems with Smith on the floor more than Acy.

I'm fine either way. If Smith proves to be an able defender, then I can see how Acy subbing in for Smith is good too.

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!
babyKnicks
Member: #1191
USA
10/19/2014  8:41 AM
Jason Smith to start at PF?

Quincy Acy has started at power forward in the Knicks' past three preseason games. But it seems there remains an open competition for the job.

Derek Fisher reiterated Friday that "things are still open and fluid" with his starting lineups. One of the biggest question marks surrounds the starting power forward.

Acy has played well in the past three games. But Jason Smith has also impressed the coaching staff.

"Jason Smith has played some good minutes for us the last couple games since he’s been back, and there’s no reason why he couldn't maybe crack into that [starting lineup]," Fisher said Friday.
Smith missed the first two preseason games because of the birth of his daughter. He had 14 points and five rebounds in 24 minutes in the Knicks' win over Philly on Tuesday.

Smith is competing with Acy, Amar'e Stoudemire and Andrea Bargnani for minutes at power forward.

Bargnani has missed all but one of the Knicks' preseason games because of a hamstring injury.

Fisher has said that Bargnani's injury makes it difficult to evaluate his options at power forward.

The coach praised the starting lineup featuring Acy on Friday but hinted that he may change the lineup for Monday's preseason game against Milwaukee.

"Depending on how things materialize with Andrea over the next few days, we may or may not keep it the same," Fisher said.

Fisher impressed with J.R.: J.R. Smith has made some news recently by saying it will take the Knicks a few months to learn the triangle (he's right). But Smith's adjustment to the system thus far has impressed his head coach.

"Jay has been great from day one. He’s engaged, he’s asking questions. He wants to get this right," Fisher said. "And we as a staff, we appreciate it and value it tremendously. The more guys we have like that the better. And so you can see on a daily basis, he’s picking more things up. The type of questions he asks are with understanding of most of it, and then maybe there’s one thing to add to it. But he’s coming along really well and we’re looking forward to what he can do for us as he gets more comfortable."

Fisher was asked Friday if he felt the need to address the issue of maturity or off-court conduct with Smith, as ex-coach Mike Woodson had over the past two seasons when Smith got into trouble with the league and the team.

"What I've tried to do with all of our guys, not just J.R., is kind of manage our relationship based on our relationship and not the relationships they have may have had with other people and other coaches," Smith said. "I can only measure our relationship on our experiences, and so far it hasn't been necessary to address anyone about maturity and accountability and trying to be one of the many leaders that we'll need within our team. J's been great in that fashion, and I don't see any reason why he wouldn't continue. He's a smart player, and he's continuing to figure out ways to be effective within what we're doing."

Question: Do you think Jason Smith should start at power forward?

You can follow Ian Begley on Twitter.

Let's go Knicks. That's amare
knickscity
Member: #4241
USA
10/19/2014  9:24 AM
J Smith was likely signed to start at pf, although Acy certainly has given him a run for that, which is definitely good to see.
knickscity
USA
10/19/2014  1:01 PM
Should NOT be this dude....

Ruled out for tomorrow's game already.

nixluva
USA
10/19/2014  1:02 PM
knickscity wrote:J Smith was likely signed to start at pf, although Acy certainly has given him a run for that, which is definitely good to see.

Jason has the right combination of skills and energy. He's got size, shooting, toughness, BB IQ, some D. He's basically a more rugged Bargs. In this system he fits right in. Acy has great energy but isn't quite the shooter and lacks the size to go up against big PF/C's. Still he has been good but I think Phil n Fish imagined playing a bigger lineup to start.
knickscity
USA
10/19/2014  3:37 PM
nixluva wrote:
knickscity wrote:J Smith was likely signed to start at pf, although Acy certainly has given him a run for that, which is definitely good to see.

Jason has the right combination of skills and energy. He's got size, shooting, toughness, BB IQ, some D. He's basically a more rugged Bargs. In this system he fits right in. Acy has great energy but isn't quite the shooter and lacks the size to go up against big PF/C's. Still he has been good but I think Phil n Fish imagined playing a bigger lineup to start.

Wont even delve into the Bargs part...lol, but as far as Acy goes..he isnt a center, but he certainly doesnt mind mixing it up down there for rebounds and just being a pest to the opposition. You dont need size for that, just effort and he brings a ton.

Acy pretty much has forced his way into the rotation as a player that can be counted on for exactly what Fisher demands primarily defense and energy. thats what Fish talks about, thats what Acy does....thats why Phil acquired him. I'm a firm believer that any player can score, Acy recognizes that as he has improved his offense since coming into the league. He'll do fine whether starting or not....he works hard on the court every minute he's out there.

Splat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #5862

10/19/2014  4:02 PM
So Bargs will be sidelined for tomorrow's game. Again.

I did believe the plan was to incorporate him into the lineup, but at this point I have wonder if Bargs will even be in the rotation at the start of the season. Choices will be made and he'd have to play his way back into the rotation at this point.

So forward slot looks to be divvied up among Acy, Smith & Stat. Makes it easier for Stat to get his time as a sub. That's 48 minutes, plus Melo needs to rest so there's another 10 minutes a game. 58 minutes roughly for these three players can be worked out by Fish.

With the hints going around, it looks like Smith may start and Acy or Stat will replace him depending on whether Fish needs more D or O at the moment of substitution.

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!
nixluva
USA
10/19/2014  5:02 PM
The PF/C spot is gonna need all the guys we have. I see a role for Jason, Sam, Amare, Acy and Bargs over the course of the season. Since 4 of these guys have injury history. When they do play I think we'll get good production at both spots.
RonRon
10/19/2014  6:32 PM
nixluva wrote:
JR Smith
STAT/AB

1- score 1v1

You underestimate the flexibility of the Triangle. Right now we have guys trying to learn to run the system which entails a lot of basic information. They have to get the spacing, timing, movement and passing down. Once they have the basic concepts they will understand how to freelance within the offense.

Also you have to understand that there are plenty of PnR two man game opportunities in the Triangle. They just don't focus the attack on the PnR. You also get a lot of give and go options. There are openings to freelance as well. It's just gonna take time for everyone to recognize the options.

This video from a court level view might be helpful to see how much motion is going on.

NixLuva, read your own inputs on Larkin

nixluva wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
nixluva wrote:
Yeah most of what I've read this year seems to be a lack of patience. We have to allow more than a few weeks for Larkin to get comfortable. I think once he is past the stage of trying to stick to the strict rules of the Triangle and realizes the ways he can score and let's his natural instincts take over, he'll be fine.

Hey if Phil Pressy makes Larkin look bad--then it's up to Shane to play up a level before the real deal starts. Give me a 13 point 6 assist game with less than 2 TO's

Meh! Pressey is in a different situation. I'm pretty sure Larkin would look more comfortable in a PnR based O which is his strong suit coming out of college. This system is totally different for him. In a PnR set he would be more aggressive since that is the nature of how a PG is expected to run a PnR play. Now he has to hold back his aggression, pass off and wait, read and react which is a totally different role.

nixluva
USA
10/19/2014  6:40 PM
RonRon wrote:
nixluva wrote:
JR Smith
STAT/AB

1- score 1v1

nixluva wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
nixluva wrote:
Yeah most of what I've read this year seems to be a lack of patience. We have to allow more than a few weeks for Larkin to get comfortable. I think once he is past the stage of trying to stick to the strict rules of the Triangle and realizes the ways he can score and let's his natural instincts take over, he'll be fine.

Hey if Phil Pressy makes Larkin look bad--then it's up to Shane to play up a level before the real deal starts. Give me a 13 point 6 assist game with less than 2 TO's

Meh! Pressey is in a different situation. I'm pretty sure Larkin would look more comfortable in a PnR based O which is his strong suit coming out of college. This system is totally different for him. In a PnR set he would be more aggressive since that is the nature of how a PG is expected to run a PnR play. Now he has to hold back his aggression, pass off and wait, read and react which is a totally different role.

Reading is fundamental. All I'm saying is that it's easier to just run PnR but that isn't what we want to do cuz when you face the better defenses they know how to take that away. The Triangle isn't overly dependent on the PnR even tho it can be an option in the offense. They're doing the right thing teaching Larkin how to be able to do more than run a PnR. If you don't see the benefits of this I don't know what to say.

RonRon
10/19/2014  6:43 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/19/2014  6:49 PM
Now STAT and JR Smith has struggled in the system

Larkin's skill set his been hidden under the system and he would do very well in a PnR based OFFENSE, especially with the lineup I suggested which are possibly all backups

Larkin
Hardaway JR
JR Smith
STAT or AB
PF/C or moving STAT/AB at Center, while there are many options at the 4

When I mean PnR
I mean, setting a pick for Larkin when he has the ball, allow him to decide to penetrate all the way, pass to STAT for a shot or roll, or with Tim Hardaway JR/JR Smith to spread the floor, cause their man to help and feed them for the open shot

What is there to argue about?
It is obvious that these guys would flourish do well in a PnR system, especially Larkin/STAT (STAT never played with someone that could penetrate/finish/hit a shot/ with his speed/quickness/handle since Suns?

I have said plenty of times, you are the complete positive thinker but stop thinking you know more than others here
You are the same person that believed there was NO REASON to think we coudn't compare our roster to the 54 win season
You are the one that believed AB could flourish at PF with Tyson Chandler

I agree with a lot of the things you say but
Stop acting like you know more than others here as

The PnR system is a PnR
The Triangle is a Triangle

There are some similar sets but the Triangle emphasis on giving it to the POST and then on the weakside, the PG may cut right in to him
We don't have a talent comparable to Pau Gasol's verstility/talent, or a Dominant post presence like Shaq, we don't have the talents that Chicago had

And please, stop thinking EVERY MOVE that The Knick's make is the best move possible

RonRon
10/19/2014  6:48 PM
nixluva wrote:
RonRon wrote:
nixluva wrote:
JR Smith
STAT/AB

1- score 1v1

nixluva wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
nixluva wrote:

Reading is fundamental. All I'm saying is that it's easier to just run PnR but that isn't what we want to do cuz when you face the better defenses they know how to take that away. The Triangle isn't overly dependent on the PnR even tho it can be an option in the offense. They're doing the right thing teaching Larkin how to be able to do more than run a PnR. If you don't see the benefits of this I don't know what to say.

No, all I am saying is you continue put a foot in your on ass
You can say Larkin would flourish in a PnR system

When I expanded to we should run PnR to suit the skills of our players more, I know nothing about the triangle
The lineup I suggested have players that struggle with the Triangle and PnR is run by EVERY OTHER team for a reason, IT WORKS

Larkin
Tim Hardaway JR
JR Smith
STAT/AB
PF/C, Center, or a any player that allows STAT or AB to play Center

babyKnicks
Member: #1191
USA
10/19/2014  7:00 PM
"In four preseason games, Stoudemire has averaged five points on 34 percent shooting in 16 minutes per game."

I was leaning towards amare, but in light of these facts, it's Jason smiths position to lose.

Acy was just for kicks.

Let's go Knicks. That's amare
Starting Power Forward

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy