[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

D-E-F-E-N-S-E
Author Thread
smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
10/1/2014  10:52 AM
gunsnewing wrote:I love when guys like amare and Bargnani talk about playing defense

This season we get to add Calderon to that holy trinity of defense

AUTOADVERT
smackeddog
Member: #883
10/1/2014  10:55 AM
nixluva wrote:I like to read this comment about the defensive focus this year:

"In terms of what we are going to do defensively, we are going to push everything to the sideline and keeping people out of our middle, last year it was more forcing people to the middle," J.R. Smith said. "That right there is a mindset that eliminates people not helping and who is supposed to be where and what. The attention to detail and the drills that we are doing, everybody understands where they are supposed to be on the defensive end.

"We got people who can score. We got a scoring champion (Anthony), we got a point guard (Jose Calderon)…that is the least of our worries on offense. The defensive end, we gotta people in the right spots where we can succeed as a team."

Amar'e Stoudemire — took the last half hour of practice off as a precautionary measure to protect his knees — thought Fisher's early focus on defense was "just brilliant," adding the new coach's "message is very clear in what he's trying to accomplish."

This is so simple and yet so HUGE in terms of trying to fix some of the issues we had last year with players looking lost and missing assignments. This is a guy putting in a system that his players can understand and execute. Fish isn't looking to make things harder than they have to be. Apparently there is a D in Derek and this team will be taught to defend as a team.

Could someone please explain the logic in Woody's defensive scheme last year- push players to the middle and switch on everything?? Was he just trying to be some sort of maverick, or was he just trying to do that opposite thing that George tried in Seinfeld?

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
10/1/2014  11:21 AM
smackeddog wrote:
nixluva wrote:I like to read this comment about the defensive focus this year:

"In terms of what we are going to do defensively, we are going to push everything to the sideline and keeping people out of our middle, last year it was more forcing people to the middle," J.R. Smith said. "That right there is a mindset that eliminates people not helping and who is supposed to be where and what. The attention to detail and the drills that we are doing, everybody understands where they are supposed to be on the defensive end.

"We got people who can score. We got a scoring champion (Anthony), we got a point guard (Jose Calderon)…that is the least of our worries on offense. The defensive end, we gotta people in the right spots where we can succeed as a team."

Amar'e Stoudemire — took the last half hour of practice off as a precautionary measure to protect his knees — thought Fisher's early focus on defense was "just brilliant," adding the new coach's "message is very clear in what he's trying to accomplish."

This is so simple and yet so HUGE in terms of trying to fix some of the issues we had last year with players looking lost and missing assignments. This is a guy putting in a system that his players can understand and execute. Fish isn't looking to make things harder than they have to be. Apparently there is a D in Derek and this team will be taught to defend as a team.

Could someone please explain the logic in Woody's defensive scheme last year- push players to the middle and switch on everything?? Was he just trying to be some sort of maverick, or was he just trying to do that opposite thing that George tried in Seinfeld?

He said that philosophy would confuse the opponent, but really all the opponent ever had to do was pass the ball and find the mismatch, that's why our bigs ended up guarding pgs and sgs, and our back court players defending bigs, which forced a double team, and somebodies man wide open.

ES
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

10/1/2014  11:45 AM
Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

10/1/2014  12:22 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/1/2014  12:43 PM
I love this, shows that Fisher is making defense a priority from day one. I like that Phil was there, he's letting players know that he is on board with what Fisher is doing.

Kind of reminds me of Hoosiers when Gene Hackman was focusing on passing, defense, and running drills, not scoring. Would be great to have the same storybook ending, but I'll settle for a nice run in the playoffs.

knicks1248
10/1/2014  2:19 PM
GustavBahler wrote:I love this, shows that Fisher is making defense a priority from day one. I like that Phil was there, he's letting players know that he is on board with what Fisher is doing.

Kind of reminds me of Hoosiers when Gene Hackman was focusing on passing, defense, and running drills, not scoring. Would be great to have the same storybook ending, but I'll settle for a nice run in the playoffs.

I would like to hear of some straight passing drills like the spurs do for 2 hrs at a time

ES
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
10/1/2014  3:15 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:I love this, shows that Fisher is making defense a priority from day one. I like that Phil was there, he's letting players know that he is on board with what Fisher is doing.

I would like to hear of some straight passing drills like the spurs do for 2 hrs at a time

I'm sure all kinds of good things will be employed. Remember this is still pretty much a Phil Jackson coached team in that he's ever present and we have Fish and former members of Phil's staff helping. It's helpful to consider how Phil coached teams looked in the past. Most of his teams were extremely well prepared and I'd expect nothing less.

RonRon
Member: #246
10/1/2014  3:52 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/1/2014  4:02 PM
http://www.nba.com/knicks/0930training-camp-highlights

http://www.nba.com/knicks/news/camp/knicks-camp-report-day-1-all-about-defense

Forget about the Triangle Offense. The first training camp session for the Knicks at West Point was all about defense and implementing a different scheme under new head coach Derek Fisher.

“Our focus today was totally, 100 percent on the defensive side today, not so much of schemes and X’s and O’s but more of trusting one another on the defensive end, talking to one another, communicating, being there for our teammates, being in sync with everybody out there on the basketball court,” Carmelo Anthony explained.

The team arrived at West Point yesterday following media day at MSG Training Center. While most of the talk surrounding New York is about the famous Triangle Offense, Fisher and his coaching staff are adjusting the game plan on the defensive side of the court as well. Iman Shumpert tells NYKnicks.com that the squad will force everything to the sidelines as opposed to the middle of the floor, which is a significant change from the past two seasons.

“Starting off and the rest of the season there will be a lot of talk about who we are offensively and what we’re trying to do in terms of the Triangle but defense is the anchor, that’s the foundation to all good and great teams. So, today we spent two and a half hours on defense. We didn’t do one Triangle-specific drill of any kind,” Fisher stated.

Shumpert is considered an elite wing defender with the ability to guard up to three positions on the floor. Directly after practice Shumpert was all smiles when chatting about the defensive mindset for the Knicks. He provided a glimpse inside the gym at West Point.

“I thought it was great, everybody really communicated, it was dope to be around that type of energy,” Shumpert said. “Being around that type of energy consistently makes for a better environment and practice generally and that will translate over to games.”

Conditioning & Stoudemire’s Minutes
Fisher was pleased to see the team in condition heading into the first practice of training camp. The head coach specifically mentioned Amar’e Stoudemire, who participated in two hours of the practice before resting the final 30 minutes. He also added there is a plan in place for Stoudemire to be available every night.

Embracing The Moment
While Fisher coached the Summer League; today’s training camp session marked his first true NBA practice as head coach. Fisher did not downplay the meaning of the moment and even told reporters he met with the team last night to discuss the history of the franchise. The five-time NBA champion wants his team to carve a special place in the Knicks history books.

“Meaningful is probably an understatement. It’s an honor to be with this organization,” Fisher acknowledged.

Next Up
The Knicks will convene at West Point tomorrow afternoon for another training camp practice. Stay tuned to @NYKnicks and NYKnicks.com for comprehensive coverage.

In my opinion, I find it a little strange how our highest potential defender in Giannes Antekenkempo aka Tenacious isn't on our roster
Though he surely could take some time to develop and I understand for his draft selection, it would make more sense to sign him next year with the option of using cap space to secure a long term deal or an exemption Instead we could have used part of our mini MLE this season instead of signing Jason Smith instead, the option I would have went, then targeting James Johnson to a 3 year deal with team option on 3rd with partial guarantee on years 2 and 3 and fully guaranteed for 1st year

Possibly even signing Smith with a 2 year vet min deal in the end or a talent like Ed Davis with player option on 2nd, at worst Greg Stimensa who signed a NON GUARANTEED contract to Toronto

He plays with so much energy, it could be greatly contacious and infections, having a multiple effect on each player especially with both Iman/Tenacious initiating the DEF and the others putting pressure and playing the passing lanes as well

Iman
Tenacious
Acy

James Johnson who is a very under rated 1v1 defender, ranked #1 on block 3pt shots who was in the D League for a short stinct last year and I have been hoping The Knicks would have signed for multiple years already, who just signed a 2 year 2.5m per year deal to rejoin Toronto, after playing in Memphis

He is clearly a steal for Toronto, with a SF/PF that could defend the elites in Durant/Lebron and even G/F's like Harden with his size/length at 6-9 250pds
If he can add in the baseline 3pter with just a little bit more of a mid range game, he could be one of the greatest under rated signings of the summer, considering the versatility he has to offer and is still quite young and could still develop/improve his game

Early
Jason Smith

Dalembert
Larkin
Outlaw

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

10/1/2014  5:26 PM
knicks1248 wrote:

Always good to emulate the gold standard of the league.

OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
10/1/2014  7:07 PM
Glad to hear it but don't we basically hear something like this every year?

I do believe this regime is the real deal though.

"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
knickscity
Member: #4241
USA
10/1/2014  7:22 PM
Watching fisher stress a complete day on defense is so refreshing. certainly can say he is laying groundwork.
TeamBall
Member: #4386

10/1/2014  7:40 PM
OasisBU wrote:Glad to hear it but don't we basically hear something like this every year?

I know we definitely heard it with Woodson and little did we know it was just reinforcement of his switch philosophy. I have faith in Fish/Phil though.
Knicksfan: Hypocrite league that fines players after the game for flopping but in the game and with obvious flopping they call the fouls.
nixluva
USA
10/1/2014  8:01 PM
TeamBall wrote:
OasisBU wrote:Glad to hear it but don't we basically hear something like this every year?

I know we definitely heard it with Woodson and little did we know it was just reinforcement of his switch philosophy. I have faith in Fish/Phil though.

Yeah I don't understand the attitude of media and some fans that are just acting like we have any old group of guys running the team now. This is really a slap in the face to Phil Jackson to suggest there's no difference between his coaching and that of Woody and the cast of vagabonds he had on his staff. We are talking about Phil Jackson, Fish and his staff working with this team. There are men on our staff with SUBSTANTIAL records of winning and being involved in the best run organizations. PLEASE let's stop ignoring this fact.

Phil Jackson has had some great defensive teams and i'm pretty sure that Fish has learned a thing or two over the years about defensive principles. IMO Woodson was so deficient as a coach that I really hate that there are Knicks fans and Media who aren't giving the Presence of Phil, Fish and his staff more credit for fixing this team than they have. We all watched as Woody FROZE on the sidelines. This man had no answers and got his ass kicked in the playoffs. To not at least acknowledge he massive improvement in leadership this team now has is beyond me.

Sure Fish hasn't been a head coach before, but he's not here alone and he's not basing his coaching on his own ideas alone. He's got Phil and his boys here and he was TAUGHT by Phil himself. Phil wanted a coach that he knew would be able to teach many of his principles. They don't have to be exactly like Phil in order to be successful. What's most important is the basic principles and attention to detail and demand for giving 110% for the team.

nixluva
USA
10/2/2014  2:53 PM
Melo: Knicks simplifying things on defense
October, 1, 2014

By Ian Begley | ESPNNewYork.com

The New York Knicks have been all about defense in the first two days of training camp. Derek Fisher has emphasized it heavily in team practices and in his chats with the media.

We don’t know many details about the Knicks’ new defensive approach. But J.R. Smith said on Monday that the team would try to funnel ballhandlers to the sideline instead of sending them to the middle, like they did last season.

Carmelo Anthony provided some insight to the Knicks' new defense Tuesday after practice.
Carmelo Anthony added another interesting detail on Tuesday, when he said Fisher is trying to simplify things.

“Everybody has their own style of coaching, so I don’t want to get into [a comparison of Fisher and Mike Woodson], but as far as what we’re paying attention to now, we’re trying to simplify the game,” Anthony said. “We’re trying to make it simple and easy but very detail oriented. Those are the things we’ve been working on.”

Players last season talked about confusion on the defensive end of the floor, so a simpler approach may help. The Knicks finished 24th in defensive rating, a measure of points allowed per 100 possessions, last season. Fisher hopes to help the Knicks jump up considerably in that category this season.

I like what i've been seeing and hearing so far. The extra work on fundamentals. The clarity on how they will work together and trust each other and understand the focus and energy they need. It's all a vast improvement in preparation IMO.

nixluva
USA
10/2/2014  3:09 PM
Some more really promising statements:

knicks1248
10/9/2014  8:54 AM
first preseason game, and if i didn't know better, i would think MDA was still on the sidelines..smh
ES
nixluva
USA
10/9/2014  12:17 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/9/2014  12:23 PM
knicks1248 wrote:first preseason game, and if i didn't know better, i would think MDA was still on the sidelines..smh

I wouldn't panic. This wasn't really a game were they were at 110% intensity. All they've been doing is practicing against the Triangle and themselves. Now they will have film to show and instruct with. This is all new on both ends and it was their 1st live action. They will get better I guarantee that.

D-E-F-E-N-S-E

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy