[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Since this is a slow period--question ever hit your kids?
Author Thread
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
9/22/2014  7:50 AM
knickscity wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:I never said anything about demoralizing kids. I agree that verbal abuse is just as bad as physical abuse.

With that said, just bc I don't have kids, you shouldn't assume I am naive or possibly clueless.

Exactly- ridiculous to say only people with kids should be allowed to comment on child abuse!

Read the thread title.

Ohh well excuse me for my ignorance, Mr. UK Thread Police.

I may be inexperienced but I know child psychology and education. I will not go into detail into my thoughts bc typing on my iphone sucks and I am headed into work. You seem to think I am ignorant of this stuff though so I can always pretend I am... And pretend you are right.

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
AUTOADVERT
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

9/22/2014  8:31 AM
disqualifying someone from discussing this is ridiculous because everyone in here has had a mother or father (somewhere) and some of these people might have more experience with child abuse than those that are parents

just thought I'd point that out, stone throwers

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
BasketballJones
Alba Posts: 19
Member: #290
USA
9/22/2014  3:16 PM
It's okay to hit other people's kids though, right?
https:// It's not so hard.
knickscity
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #4241
USA
9/22/2014  11:24 PM
Allanfan20 wrote:
knickscity wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:I never said anything about demoralizing kids. I agree that verbal abuse is just as bad as physical abuse.

With that said, just bc I don't have kids, you shouldn't assume I am naive or possibly clueless.

Exactly- ridiculous to say only people with kids should be allowed to comment on child abuse!

Read the thread title.

I may be inexperienced but I know child psychology and education. I will not go into detail into my thoughts bc typing on my iphone sucks and I am headed into work. You seem to think I am ignorant of this stuff though so I can always pretend I am... And pretend you are right.

This is like allowing someone who plans to go to automotive school someday to try to fix the car you depend on to go to work everyday just because they've read books.

This isnt your field, you've already admitted it.

azamatbagatov
Member: #1713

9/23/2014  3:45 PM
IronWillGiroud wrote:i try to beat my kids daily, to remind them of who is boss and keep them vigilant

lol! Most underrated post of the thread. Well done!

PS - I have a daughter and a son on the way and would never lay a hand on them. When I was young, I would get hit when I was bad. I also had my mom take my Nintendo controllers to work with her so I couldn't play. I would have gladly taken 5 beatings and had the controllers hidden in the dresser.

"I want to leave a legacy." ~ Isiah Thomas
DrAlphaeus
Alba Posts: 10
Member: #1781

9/23/2014  5:02 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/23/2014  5:15 PM
I was spanked or popped a few times by my mom, maybe by my grandma too. I remember getting threatened more than the threat actually being carried out. They kept a belt on a top shelf and I remember getting told "keep it up, you are gonna get the belt — the buckle side!" I don't ever remember getting the buckle. I was a pretty good kid though I think, I'm the oldest of four, all a year a part. My brother was a classic middle child and was more of the line-stepper/crosser.

I remember the last time I was spanked though. Don't remember how old I was — don't think I was 10 yet — and my mom chased me around the dinner table. But I remember her heart wasn't in it. It was like we were just going through the motions. She caught me easily because I wasn't even really giving much of a chase, gave me a couple half-hearted licks on the hind, but I think we were both over it at that point and it never happened again.

I remember one time she interrogated all four of us for something broken or the like. "If no one confesses, you are all going to get licks." We didn't rat, all caught some licks, then she left the room to overhear us whoop our brother who was the culprit. She laughs about that to this day.

Not a parent myself, so hard to say if I ever will spank if I become one. I definitely feel like it's the easy way out, sets a bad precedent for conflict resolution, and would hope I have a better handle of psychology at that point to use other tactics for discipline.

Baba Booey 2016 — "It's Silly Season"
DrAlphaeus
Alba Posts: 10
Member: #1781

9/23/2014  5:24 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/23/2014  5:27 PM
I remember my American grandmother's method of punishment now. She had a colorful rock she used to keep by the door as a doorstop. To punish us, she would make us stand in the corner and hold the rock. If she caught us putting it down before the timeout was over, the time increased. Of course then there was the added torture of the other kids making fun of you while you were there. It was a very clever punishment I think!

My grandparents from the West Indies stayed with us back in the day. My brother was hyperactive, and said if he stood still for 10 minutes, they'd give him 5 dollars. He couldn't do it! Not so much a punishment, but it sort of gave them an edge in dealing with him after that.

I think younger parents still have that vim and vigor and may be quicker with their tempers. Grandparents tend to have mellowed out and can't do all that physical discipline, and have to use psychology. Spanking is just played out at that point. Like arkrud said, guilt is the spanking that lasts forever. ;)

Baba Booey 2016 — "It's Silly Season"
Allanfan20
Member: #542
USA
9/23/2014  6:12 PM
knickscity wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
knickscity wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

Read the thread title.

This is like allowing someone who plans to go to automotive school someday to try to fix the car you depend on to go to work everyday just because they've read books.

Based on that, I am simply assuming you are a troll because I haven't been posting here like how I used to. I will say I hope you had fun doing so.

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
knickscity
USA
9/23/2014  6:22 PM
Allanfan20 wrote:
knickscity wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
knickscity wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

Read the thread title.

Based on that, I am simply assuming you are a troll because I haven't been posting here like how I used to. I will say I hope you had fun doing so.

That would actually qualify you as the troll. but I'm not the sort to call names around....it's a level I oprefer not to stoop down to.

You're offended on something that quite honestly doesnt apply to you at the present, but you felt empowered to diss other views on the subject when you have ZERO experience on the topic at hand. thats why I responded to you. if you noticed others have responded that dont have kids, and the convo has been engaging but they, unlike you stayed in their lane without telling folks their way isnt the right way, when in reality no one can do so.

Sometimes the responses given are based on the statements made.

smackeddog
Member: #883
9/24/2014  11:55 AM    LAST EDITED: 9/24/2014  11:58 AM
knickscity wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
knickscity wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
knickscity wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

Read the thread title.

That would actually qualify you as the troll. but I'm not the sort to call names around....it's a level I oprefer not to stoop down to.

You're offended on something that quite honestly doesnt apply to you at the present, but you felt empowered to diss other views on the subject when you have ZERO experience on the topic at hand. thats why I responded to you. if you noticed others have responded that dont have kids, and the convo has been engaging but they, unlike you stayed in their lane without telling folks their way isnt the right way, when in reality no one can do so.

So can only dog owners comment on people who beat their dogs? Can only married people comment on marital rape? Can only people caring for elderly relatives comment on people who beat their elderly parents? Can only veterans comment on soldiers who abuse civilians? Can only politicians comment on politicians conduct? Your stance is ridiculous- it's inviting collusion.

BasketballJones
Alba Posts: 19
Member: #290
USA
9/24/2014  1:56 PM
Wow, how could a subject like "ever hit your kids" wind up so controversial.
https:// It's not so hard.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
9/24/2014  3:16 PM
BasketballJones wrote:Wow, how could a subject like "ever hit your kids" wind up so controversial.

Imagine if it was a really slow offseason. No new coach and no MeloDrama2, would we be:

"since its a slow period---ever "touch" your kids?

That would be messed up!

smackeddog
9/24/2014  3:32 PM
Nalod wrote:
BasketballJones wrote:Wow, how could a subject like "ever hit your kids" wind up so controversial.

Imagine if it was a really slow offseason. No new coach and no MeloDrama2, would we be:

"since its a slow period---ever "touch" your kids?

That would be messed up!

And according to knickscity's logic, only people with kids would be allowed to comment!

jrodmc
Member: #805
USA
9/24/2014  3:51 PM
smackeddog wrote:
knickscity wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
knickscity wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
knickscity wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

Read the thread title.

So can only dog owners comment on people who beat their dogs? Can only married people comment on marital rape? Can only people caring for elderly relatives comment on people who beat their elderly parents? Can only veterans comment on soldiers who abuse civilians? Can only politicians comment on politicians conduct? Your stance is ridiculous- it's inviting collusion.

Can eveyone comment on what it's actually like to play in the NBA? Can everyone comment on what it's like to send other people's kids into war zones? Can everyone comment on what it's actually like to be and serve in a war zone? Can everyone comment on what to do with everyone else's money? Can everyone comment on everything? Doesn't the azzhole rule apply here? You know, about how opinions are fine, because everyone has one.

Just try to maintain some sense of what your credibility level is at with something like raising kids when the biggest dependent you have in your life besides yourself is possibly a pet.

Some things you need to actually experience before expressing better ideas than those who actually have been there done that.

smackeddog
9/24/2014  4:04 PM
jrodmc wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
knickscity wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
knickscity wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
knickscity wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

Read the thread title.

Can eveyone comment on what it's actually like to play in the NBA? Can everyone comment on what it's like to send other people's kids into war zones? Can everyone comment on what it's actually like to be and serve in a war zone? Can everyone comment on what to do with everyone else's money? Can everyone comment on everything? Doesn't the azzhole rule apply here? You know, about how opinions are fine, because everyone has one.

Just try to maintain some sense of what your credibility level is at with something like raising kids when the biggest dependent you have in your life besides yourself is possibly a pet.

Some things you need to actually experience before expressing better ideas than those who actually have been there done that.

I work with kids and young people who have been hit and worse- I know the impact hitting has on them. On top of that everyone has been raised by a parent or parents and has either been hit or not hit- why the heck are only parents views valid and not the kids or people who have been hit?

An outside perspective is just as valid as an inside perspective- or are you now saying you can't comment on nba players performances this season because you haven't played in the nba?

knickscity
USA
9/24/2014  4:22 PM
smackeddog wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
knickscity wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
knickscity wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
knickscity wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

Read the thread title.

I work with kids and young people who have been hit and worse- I know the impact hitting has on them. On top of that everyone has been raised by a parent or parents and has either been hit or not hit- why the heck are only parents views valid and not the kids or people who have been hit?

An outside perspective is just as valid as an inside perspective- or are you now saying you can't comment on nba players performances this season because you haven't played in the nba?

You sound like a walmart lube tech trying to tell someone what's wrong with their transmission. Stay in your lane, change the oil and filter, and dont forget to put my drain plug back.

Bottom line, some things take experience, i cant believe folks are fighting something so simple.

I really hope you guys dont advice in your everday life from folks who have no experience in what youve got going on.

Parenting is a specialty. No different than a dentist. Would get opinion on a toothache from back specialist? Sure that back doctor has had a toothache himself, so by you guys logic.....no problem.

smackeddog
9/24/2014  5:02 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/24/2014  5:03 PM
knickscity wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
knickscity wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
knickscity wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
knickscity wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

Read the thread title.

You sound like a walmart lube tech trying to tell someone what's wrong with their transmission. Stay in your lane, change the oil and filter, and dont forget to put my drain plug back.

Bottom line, some things take experience, i cant believe folks are fighting something so simple.

I really hope you guys dont advice in your everday life from folks who have no experience in what youve got going on.

Parenting is a specialty. No different than a dentist. Would get opinion on a toothache from back specialist? Sure that back doctor has had a toothache himself, so by you guys logic.....no problem.

If you just ask parents all you get is parents opinions- hitting kids affects the kids, but in your line of reasoning their views are irrelevant, only your perspective matters or is valid. As I've already posted, people have commented based on their perspectives as people who have been hit (or not hit) by their parents. I've also added my two cents worth from the perspective of a psychotherapist and as someone who was hit as a kid. Different perspectives are good, they give you a wider view, whether you agree with them or not.

knickscity
USA
9/24/2014  5:13 PM
smackeddog wrote:
knickscity wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
knickscity wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
knickscity wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
knickscity wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

Read the thread title.

If you just ask parents all you get is parents opinions- hitting kids affects the kids, but in your line of reasoning their views are irrelevant, only your perspective matters or is valid. As I've already posted, people have commented based on their perspectives as people who have been hit (or not hit) by their parents. I've also added my two cents worth from the perspective of a psychotherapist and as someone who was hit as a kid. Different perspectives are good, they give you a wider view, whether you agree with them or not.

So you really would allow a foot doctor to do a root canal on you.....if his "perspective" sounds good.

smackeddog
9/24/2014  5:35 PM
knickscity wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
knickscity wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
knickscity wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
knickscity wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
knickscity wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

Read the thread title.

So you really would allow a foot doctor to do a root canal on you.....if his "perspective" sounds good.

Your metaphors makes no sense. According to your logic, it wouldn't matter because I wouldn't be allowed to comment on the end result because I wasn't a dentist...

BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
9/24/2014  5:38 PM
knickscity wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
knickscity wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
knickscity wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
knickscity wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
knickscity wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

Read the thread title.

I don't think being a parent is a sole viewpoint. Like someone mentioned-we all have mother's father's or aunt's uncle's etc.. that we grew up with. That first-hand experience of growing up is a great way to educate yourself on being a parent. Whether I had kids or not--I know that my philosophy would be the same. I would not want to hit a child--in any circumstance for any reason. I believe that if you take the time with your kids--that in my most cases things will work themselves out fine. Actually having kids allowed me to implement my philosophy but if I had none--it would be the same philosophy. Every view point is a good one--everyone has experience as we all have been kids--we all have seen children grow up etc... I know that my children are also my friends and I would not want it any other way.

RIP Crushalot😞
Since this is a slow period--question ever hit your kids?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy