[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Since this is a slow period--question ever hit your kids?
Author Thread
ToddTT
Alba Posts: 52
Member: #105
9/18/2014  6:27 AM
smackeddog wrote:
ToddTT wrote:No kids. Dogs though... and I would never hit them.

Ha- me too! and they are as good as gold!

Look at that username... shenanigans!!! I'm calling it! ;)

AUTOADVERT
ToddTT
Alba Posts: 52
Member: #105
9/18/2014  6:28 AM
Cris Carter just became one of my favorite TV personalities.
Moonangie
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #2788

9/18/2014  9:31 AM
Nalod wrote:If you yell, your losing. If you hit, you lost.

+1. Hitting teaches nothing but how to use violence to get what you want. It doesn't build understanding, only fear.

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

9/18/2014  9:48 AM
Moonangie wrote:
Nalod wrote:If you yell, your losing. If you hit, you lost.

+1. Hitting teaches nothing but how to use violence to get what you want. It doesn't build understanding, only fear.

There had to be control established early. Like I said I never hit my kid except that one time that I explained before.

Parenting is hard work. People forget that sweet babies turn into full fledged people with their own wants and needs in as little as 3-4 months. Then is no just Mary Poppins bippity boppity boo. You have to teach your kid manners, respect, how to act at home, how to act in public. ... you need to instill your values. Now everyone gets their knowledge from tv, or books and would rather medicate or put their kids through therapy. People are leaving it up to the nursery schools to teach them things or leaving it up to other people like nannies, baby sitters.

You do not negotiate with kids. I see that alot. Parents give their kids too much freedom to where they feel they can dictate how things go in the house.

I am very passionate about patenting. Kids need good patches not the pussies it there today. Patents are scared to death of their kids and are super stressed out. Frankly it absolutely should be the other way around. By the time you're kids is in junior high that jus is give. If you sucked as a parent up until then then your kid is ****ed.

Aldo people need to give the parents credit when they see well behaved kids. The parents are doing a great job and they should be acknowledged. People just praise the kids like they raised themselves. Smh.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Moonangie

9/18/2014  10:37 AM    LAST EDITED: 9/18/2014  11:04 AM
Good op-ed on the psychological history of corporal punishment among african-american families...

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/18/opinion/punishment-or-child-abuse.html?ref=opinion

Here's what beating your kids manifests in them... "feelings of sadness and worthlessness, difficulties sleeping, suicidal thoughts, bouts of anxiety, outbursts of aggression, diminished concentration, intense dislike of authority, frayed relations with peers, and negative high-risk behavior."

Respect must be earned through teaching. Discipline is fine, as long as it is based on enforcement of rules, not threat of violence or actual use of it.

"Those who are beaten, become beaters, too."

"Adrian Peterson’s brutal behavior toward his 4-year-old son is, in truth, the violent amplification of the belief of many blacks that beatings made them better people, a sad and bleak justification for the continuation of the practice in younger generations. After Mr. Peterson’s indictment, the comedian D. L. Hughley tweeted: 'A fathers belt hurts a lot less then a cops bullet!'

He is right, of course, but only in a forensic, not a moral or psychological sense. What hurts far less than either is the loving correction of our children’s misbehavior so they become healthy adults who speak against violence wherever they find it — in the barrel of a policeman’s gun, the fist of a lover or the switch of a misguided parent."

And these quotes from another op-ed piece by Charles Blow:

“Use of corporal punishment is linked to negative outcomes for children (e.g., delinquency, antisocial behavior, psychological problems, and alcohol and drug abuse), and may be indicative of ineffective parenting. Research also finds that the number of problem behaviors observed in adolescence is related to the amount of spanking a child receives. The greater the age of the child, the stronger the relationship.

“Positive child outcomes are more likely when parents refrain from using spanking and other physical punishment, and instead discipline their children through communication that is firm, reasoned and nurturing. Studies find this type of discipline can foster positive psychological outcomes, such as high self-esteem and cooperation with others, as well as improved achievement in school.”

Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
9/18/2014  11:16 AM
ToddTT wrote:No kids. Dogs though... and I would never hit them.

Exact same scenario for me. Hitting them would be out of the question. It bothers me when I see someone very angrily yell at their dog too.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

9/18/2014  11:29 AM
Moonangie wrote:Good op-ed on the psychological history of corporal punishment among african-american families...

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/18/opinion/punishment-or-child-abuse.html?ref=opinion

Here's what beating your kids manifests in them... "feelings of sadness and worthlessness, difficulties sleeping, suicidal thoughts, bouts of anxiety, outbursts of aggression, diminished concentration, intense dislike of authority, frayed relations with peers, and negative high-risk behavior."

Respect must be earned through teaching. Discipline is fine, as long as it is based on enforcement of rules, not threat of violence or actual use of it.

"Those who are beaten, become beaters, too."

"Adrian Peterson’s brutal behavior toward his 4-year-old son is, in truth, the violent amplification of the belief of many blacks that beatings made them better people, a sad and bleak justification for the continuation of the practice in younger generations. After Mr. Peterson’s indictment, the comedian D. L. Hughley tweeted: 'A fathers belt hurts a lot less then a cops bullet!'

He is right, of course, but only in a forensic, not a moral or psychological sense. What hurts far less than either is the loving correction of our children’s misbehavior so they become healthy adults who speak against violence wherever they find it — in the barrel of a policeman’s gun, the fist of a lover or the switch of a misguided parent."

And these quotes from another op-ed piece by Charles Blow:

“Use of corporal punishment is linked to negative outcomes for children (e.g., delinquency, antisocial behavior, psychological problems, and alcohol and drug abuse), and may be indicative of ineffective parenting. Research also finds that the number of problem behaviors observed in adolescence is related to the amount of spanking a child receives. The greater the age of the child, the stronger the relationship.

“Positive child outcomes are more likely when parents refrain from using spanking and other physical punishment, and instead discipline their children through communication that is firm, reasoned and nurturing. Studies find this type of discipline can foster positive psychological outcomes, such as high self-esteem and cooperation with others, as well as improved achievement in school.”

This article is talking about people that beat 4 year Olds with tree branches.

If a kid isn't responding to you talking and putting then in time out and taking things from them then what? Send to therapy? Highly medicate them? Call then autistic or say they have a attention deficit disorder?

Nowadays people don't tell their kids anything. Calling bad behavior their way of expressing themselves. Or jus a kid being a kid. Smh?

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
BasketballJones
Alba Posts: 19
Member: #290
USA
9/18/2014  11:31 AM    LAST EDITED: 9/18/2014  11:32 AM
I think it's complicated. Hitting a kid is a very low-tech form of communication, and an outlet for parental frustration.

I didn't get hit much but I sure remember *why* I got hit - like the time I was playing with fire in the basement for example. I didn't do that again so, in a way, it worked.

Luckily I don't have kids. I don't believe in corporal punishment, but there would be times I'd be sorely tempted, based on the behavior of some of the kids I see out in public.

https:// It's not so hard.
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
9/18/2014  11:59 AM    LAST EDITED: 9/18/2014  12:01 PM
Hitting kids now is nothing like hitting kids 20 years ago. My brother's baby's mother hit her daughter to the point she had a few bruises on her arm, because she had been cutting class and going to see a guy who was 17 and she was 12 or 13.

During gym class the teacher notice the bruises and sent her to the principle to get the story as to how she got the brusies, she explained that it was the mothers boyfriend who hit her(trying to protect her mother some what), the cops was sent to the house where both parents were arrested, she loss her job (as a teacher, and he got suspend from his job as well) and the kid was sent to live with the farther( my brother).

My brother is also a teacher and coaches High school football, 2 months after his daughter moves in, come to find out she continued sneaking around and seeing this 17 yr old boy, he found out and essential did the same thing the mother did, but prior to him hitting her, he called the cops on a couple of occasions to complain about her cutting class, and coming home late and sneaking out when he was sleep. The cops gave her a toung lashing on the 2 occassions that they were called(same cops). low and behold( in one ear, out the next) weeks lady she continue to do the same thing, he got fed up and spanked her pretty good, then she called the cops (different cops then before), he was arrested, and suspended from his job, and his coaching gig for 2 months.

Can't hit your kids no more, you will go to jail.

ES
gunsnewing
Member: #215
USA
9/18/2014  12:04 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/18/2014  12:06 PM
and the kids will continue to act and do whatever they want

Just great...

Her parents are looking out for their 12yr old daughter and they go to jail?

This confirms that this world we live in going down the tubes

NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
9/18/2014  12:11 PM
I have 4 kids. Ranging from 21 to 10. I was old school in that I used to spank my kids. I was brought up this way. Then when my oldest was in middle school we had some problems. I started spanking her since I thought that was what you are supposed to do to fix her. It worked on me. I mean...I was not a bad kid but I remember back then my Dad would just look at me and I know to stop. It didn't work on her. It masked the true problem. She was being bullied at school and she was acting up. She also started flinching when this happened. Older posters here know what happened to her and I greatly appreciate the sympathy I got when I poured my troubles in this forum. One of the few reasons that I love this place. Anyways...I learned from my mistake. I stopped the spanking ways and just communicated with my children. It seems to have worked. My 3 youngers kids are doing really well and I have not raised my hand on any of them ever since.

While spanking worked for me..I don't think it will work now in this climate. Parents have to adapt and that is what I did.

smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
9/18/2014  12:12 PM
Kids being rebellious and acting out is important- if everyone was obedient and silent all the time, society would never progress- challenge is good. Sometimes people make out that kids today have no respect, but I think that's more a case of the observer having aged and forgotten that's always been the case. Who wants a mindless robot for a child?

Also there's sometimes good reasons behind it- everyone behaves way they do for a reason. How many parents bother to ask their kids why they're doing what they're doing? I love working with 'problem' kids and young people- if you treat them with respect and are willing to listen and try to understand what's going on for them, and are real with them they reciprocate it. Works a hell of a lot better than a beating.

ActionJackson
Member: #1602

9/18/2014  12:26 PM
I think this post should be changed to "Have you ever hit another UK poster (or wanted to)???" cause i think we'll see a change in all of these peaceful non violent kumbaya responses
Moonangie

9/18/2014  12:36 PM
NYKBocker wrote:I have 4 kids. Ranging from 21 to 10. I was old school in that I used to spank my kids. I was brought up this way. Then when my oldest was in middle school we had some problems. I started spanking her since I thought that was what you are supposed to do to fix her. It worked on me. I mean...I was not a bad kid but I remember back then my Dad would just look at me and I know to stop. It didn't work on her. It masked the true problem. She was being bullied at school and she was acting up. She also started flinching when this happened. Older posters here know what happened to her and I greatly appreciate the sympathy I got when I poured my troubles in this forum. One of the few reasons that I love this place. Anyways...I learned from my mistake. I stopped the spanking ways and just communicated with my children. It seems to have worked. My 3 youngers kids are doing really well and I have not raised my hand on any of them ever since.

While spanking worked for me..I don't think it will work now in this climate. Parents have to adapt and that is what I did.

I have never raise a hand at my kids, never spanked them. I have always spoken with them, sometimes in angry tones of voice, I take the time to communicate my expectations VERY clearly to them, take the time to explain the reasoning behind my words, take the time to sit with them and LISTEN to THEIR reasoning.

Yes, it sometimes requires a lot more patience than an adult is naturally inclined to give a child. But it pays off for both of us - it forces me to resist the "easy" path of violent confrontation; for them, they learn how to communicate their feelings and thoughts, and they learn how to achieve their ends without resorting to anti-social behavior.

It also builds mutual respect and love. It "forces" them to consider their actions more carefully in future situations. It teaches them that being "reasonable" merits the sort of respect that enables them to achieve their ends. Sure, they had plenty of "timeouts" as young-ins, and they temporarily lose iPhones and such if they argue too much. But they generally don't do these behaviors anymore because they have learned that complying with intelligent rules is not bad, and that they have the freedom to express rational viewpoints that challenge rules they find unfair.

Other parents regularly comment to me on how well-behaved my kids are, especially compared with other children. They are respectful of adults. They treat their friends with respect-fairness-kindness. They volunteer for community service out of their own initiative. They are straight A students and top athletes in their high-school, leaders of their teams (both boys).

If I had beaten them regularly, none of this would be likely. Respect begets respect; beating begets dysfunctional/broken children who turn into challenged adults, and the cycle will likely repeat.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
9/18/2014  1:12 PM
Its hard work and needs a lot of patience. Goal is for kids to process their own decisions and deal with the consequences.

Parents can get lazy and basically don't hold up the "threats". Often its inconvienent to do so. I remember when my son was about 2.5 we told told hm if he "didn't behave" in the restaurant we'd have to leave.
He tested me. My wife was pregnant with our second and I took him outside and he was very upset I did so. No yelling. He had to learn that if you didn't stop we'd have to leave. I did n't even get my meal.
I sat outside the restaurant for 45 minutes while he calmed down. He had to process his anger at me, then at himself for understanding HIS actions is what removed him. After his melt down we went back in and finished dinner.

My kids always behaived in restaurants becuase we would discuss what they/we should do to stay happy. No video games (nintendo mini thing was popular then)but they could read, write, draw, etc. Even talk!!! We had a snack if they got real hungry.

This was a small example but one that was consistant. Set the rules early and if the kid breaks the rules, its their choice. It worked thru high school. Its not to say my kids always made the right choice, im sure they got away with plenty but they were good studants, good athletes and high self esteem. To phuch up meant they had to deal with the consequences. Don't do the homework, no hockey games.

Im not saying I never yelled, but when I did "I lost". So I yelled less and less over the years and got better at my anger management.

Its easy to give your kids things and enable them. Its better when they earn their way as there self esteem and acomplishment is far better.

Don't get me wrong, there were times I needed an outlet amd getting physical would have worked. Its just not in my DNA as it was never done to me.

earthmansurfer
Member: #858
Germany
9/19/2014  5:02 AM
I've never hit my child. The thought of it sort of makes me sick inside. I've raised my voice (yelled) a few times and I felt bad even doing that, but it wasn't planned. I feel like we should be able to talk about problems.

No disrespect to those who have hit their children, as I understand we pass on what was often done to us. I just don't think it is good for anyone involved. Growing up in Brooklyn, seeing people killed, lots of violence weekly and such, I can only imagine how that must feel to a parent when they think of the dangers to their children. Sometimes we resort to violence on others (e.g. children) to make us feel safe from losing them, due to being in a dangerous city, for example.

I was never really hit as a kid, I mean I remember a whack on the but a couple of times, but nothing that "scarred" me or the like, though we really don't know what a whacking does to a growing persons mentality. Actually, I think research shows it lowers IQ and brings mistrust and such.

Learning about love, obviously should not involve violence. Again, not being judgmental here, as the world is a painful place for most.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. Albert Einstein
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
9/19/2014  8:32 AM
I am from regular European Jews family and I do not know any instance of beating kids in my family.
I remember my grandmother told me she do not remember anything like this too. So I never heard this form any of my friends.
This is out of tradition for 10th of generations...
From the age I remember I was always afraid to disappoint and hurt the feelings of my parents and grandparents.
Obviously I sometimes did and they told me and I cried. It was worst that beating. Much worth.
Especially when mother cried because of my behavior or farther will not talk to me.
Violence has no meaning and no use. Its just killing once soul.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
9/19/2014  11:09 AM
arkrud wrote:I am from regular European Jews family and I do not know any instance of beating kids in my family.
I remember my grandmother told me she do not remember anything like this too. So I never heard this form any of my friends.
This is out of tradition for 10th of generations...
From the age I remember I was always afraid to disappoint and hurt the feelings of my parents and grandparents.
Obviously I sometimes did and they told me and I cried. It was worst that beating. Much worth.
Especially when mother cried because of my behavior or farther will not talk to me.
Violence has no meaning and no use. Its just killing once soul.

I'd rather get hit then the doses of Jewish Guilt I experienced!!
Just kidding guys!!!

I pissed my Stepfather off once and he want to hit me. I was 16 and bigger at the time, I held him and told him I loved him but I could not permit him to touch me and my mother would go nuts. I apologized that I had angered and asked him if we could cool off an deal with it "later". I really was doing my beast to piss him off but also the dynamic in the house was my mom was "Protective" of the kids with the StepDad (instinct). "mommabear" looks after her own! My biological father was long gone for years. At that point I guess I decided I wanted a relationship and we both drew a line.

At 14 my son stuck his chest out at me and moved into my space as if he wanted to hit me. I steped into his first and quickly told him "at this moment you have to decide what kind of relationship you want with me, I will always love you but you have to earn my respect as I do yours!!!!" I hugged him and walked away. Basically it was the moment he was trying to stake his independance but also knew he was far from it. I remember that and tried to understand but not back down.

Later that nite we discussed "man strength" and while he might have some notion that he could "take me" I assured him my mental toughness would not permit it and it would damage our relationship. While it was "My house" he was a vital part of the family and my job was to make him bigger, faster, smarter, more successful and better looking than me!!! If so I would not be envious but proud and wish him only happiness and success in his life!!!

We are very a like and its like arguing with your clone. At times we exhausted my wife and daughter because they saw what was happening clearer than I was. Now we laugh. He is 23.

Cartman718
Member: #1694

9/19/2014  12:24 PM
dont have any, but i would if the situation was extreme enough where words were not getting through and time was a factor.
Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
dk7th
Member: #4228
USA
9/19/2014  12:40 PM
i was on fulton street in brooklyn a couple of years ago and it was raining hard. a young woman had one baby in a stroller and the other child was her older daughter, three or four years old and walking slowly-- she may have been enjoying the rain and splashing in puddles, like many children that age do.

well guess what the mother reached back and clocked this poor innocent child with absolutely no warning, and all for making this bitch have to walk slower in the rain when they were already soaked through. she smacked this girl so hard in her face the child was knocked off balance to the ground, and the mother's hand looked like it caught the girl in the eye too.

it made me so mad not only for that moment of violence but i imagined the scarring the little girl would acquire and take with her into adulthood!

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
Since this is a slow period--question ever hit your kids?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy