[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Since this is a slow period--question ever hit your kids?
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
9/17/2014  9:45 PM
I kind of listened to all fo this the last week. When I was young(Im 45) I did get hit by my dad with the belt and my mom also whacked me all the way up to 12-13 Perhasp our age group lived in a different time??? but thats what happened to me.

I have two kids of my own 14 one 9 and two step kids 6 and 9--and I have never ever laid a hand on anyone--would never think about it wouldnt consider it--I think it's old school and wrong. You can teach your kids WITHOUT violence by a variety of methods--telling them to read removing electronic equipment etc... and Ive barely ever had to do that. I heard C Barkley say everyone in the south hit their kids--and to me its something that makes no sense--why teahc kids violence at such a young age?

RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
Moonangie
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #2788

9/17/2014  9:52 PM
Never. We teach our kids to use words to settle disputes, not intimidation/anger/physicality. WORDS.

My parents never laid a hand on me (I'm older than BRIGGS). Dad tried once when he was drunk, but I dodged it and he struck the wall, spraining his hand. He never pulled such a stupid move again.

gunsnewing
Member: #215
USA
9/17/2014  10:10 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/17/2014  10:12 PM
I would firmly explain right from wrong verbally. If it doesn't work and they continue to disobey then they will certainly get a spanking. Hand or slipper
That's about it.

What Peterson did is actual abuse and He should go to jail

It is important that we teach kids to
1)respect others especially elders
2)responsibility
3)morals
4)the meaning of no

They should not be spoiled because they will suffer in the real world

While we may be wiser we've become too soft

Especially young men who were never taught how to be men

Learn how to chance a tire. You won't be able to call AAA to change your tire if you are stranded without cell phone service

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

9/17/2014  10:12 PM
My mom used to beat me for everything. My pops used to hit me if my mom told him something i did or if he got overly frustrated about something. I was a good kid but in retrospect, i grew up in a really bad neighborhood and if they weren't in me like that i could have ended up like some of my friends, dead or in jail.

I hit my son once in his life, one good pop on his butt because he peed on himself in McDonald's after I asked him if he had to use the bathroom at least 3 times. He just peed on himself and didn't even flinch. He was 6 years old. We had plans later in the day and I had to buy him fresh clothes cuz we were fat from home. He deserved that wack.

I think what Adrien Peterson did was over the top. I don't believe in using a switch, because you can leave marks easy. Using an open hand on a backside, or hand is fine. Once or twice. Using a belt is fine too as long as you aren't lashing the kid leaving marks and bruises. I believe a kid can be disciplined without hitting them. They do need to know that you are crazy as hell and will hit them if necessary. There's a respect thing that needs to be established. Kids nowadays have no respect for teachers, cops and anyone with authority. They damn sure don't care about what their parents say. They will call child protective services on their parents or tell their teachers a Bull**** story just to get their way.

What pains me is to see parents getting puked by their kids in public. Parents are handcuffed because even yelling at your kid some Douche watching will say you are verbally abusing your kid and report you. It's a different time now. Everything is completely twisted.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
gunsnewing
USA
9/17/2014  10:19 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/17/2014  10:23 PM
EnySpree wrote:My mom used to beat me for everything. My pops used to hit me if my mom told him something i did or if he got overly frustrated about something. I was a good kid but in retrospect, i grew up in a really bad neighborhood and if they weren't in me like that i could have ended up like some of my friends, dead or in jail.

I hit my son once in his life, one good pop on his butt because he peed on himself in McDonald's after I asked him if he had to use the bathroom at least 3 times. He just peed on himself and didn't even flinch. He was 6 years old. We had plans later in the day and I had to buy him fresh clothes cuz we were fat from home. He deserved that wack.

I think what Adrien Peterson did was over the top. I don't believe in using a switch, because you can leave marks easy. Using an open hand on a backside, or hand is fine. Once or twice. Using a belt is fine too as long as you aren't lashing the kid leaving marks and bruises. I believe a kid can be disciplined without hitting them. They do need to know that you are crazy as hell and will hit them if necessary. There's a respect thing that needs to be established. Kids nowadays have no respect for teachers, cops and anyone with authority. They damn sure don't care about what their parents say. They will call child protective services on their parents or tell their teachers a Bull**** story just to get their way.

What pains me is to see parents getting puked by their kids in public. Parents are handcuffed because even yelling at your kid some Douche watching will say you are verbally abusing your kid and report you. It's a different time now. Everything is completely twisted.

Yea man my mom used to wack me with a slipper. It hurt like hell until I got older and laughed it off.

If I did something really bad the she would say she was going to tell my father when he got home. The fear of that kept me in line. My dad only wacked me over the head once or twice but it was enough to put the fear of god in me and learn respect.

Doesn't meant it works out later in life. It all depends on the individual. Once you are old enough your make your own choices. It is your job as a parent to best prepare your kids to face the cruel world

ToddTT
Alba Posts: 52
Member: #105
9/17/2014  10:24 PM
No kids. Dogs though... and I would never hit them.
gunsnewing
USA
9/17/2014  10:30 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/17/2014  10:34 PM
It's important that you teach them at an early age that there are consequences for their actions
EnySpree

9/17/2014  10:41 PM
Patents don't tell their kids anything. I don't know how many times I had to yell at a kid right in front of their parents and the parents didn't even react to what I just told their kid or to the kid for doing whatever they eye doing.

The absolute worse thing ever is for someone to discipline me or chastise me in front of my parents. I would get beat worse.

Things are so twisted now.

my son knows that i can pop up at any time and I will embarrass him and myself for the sake of teaching him a lesson. Does it mean I will beat him in the street in front of the world? Yes.... will I actually do it? That's entirely up to him. Their needs to be a thought in his mind that the worse thing that could happen is if I find out he's doing something he's not supposed to.

Right now my son is 11. I keep it real with him and I talk to him. Sometimes I yell and sometimes I just talk endlessly repeating myself over and over. That's called parenting. Is not easy but you have to go as hard as you can so your kid grows up to be a respectable, honest, productive human being. If the kid is stressed out, it's not my problem. Nobody was saying anything when we were having a ball playing video games, basketball or some comedy on tv.... when is time to get dirty you get dirty. But good or bad you always talk and let the kid determine how far the discipline goes.

Again Adrien Peterson deserves what he gets cuz he sliced up a 4 year old with a switch. He clearly went over board. I can't even imagine what he could have done to warrant that lashing at 4 years old

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
EnySpree

9/17/2014  10:48 PM
Also.... it's your job as a parent to discipline your kid. You don't want a "professional" stepping in to council your kid. You don't want your kid to be put through the juvenile system. You don't want your kid to end up in jail. That spanking if necessary could possibly save your kids life.

Again Adrien was excessive. We're not talking about being excessive. You do not mark up your kid with welts and bruises or more. Spankings are fine in my book within reason.

gunsnewing
USA
9/17/2014  10:49 PM
Yea man we see it everyday with the way these kids act in public and the parents do nothing about it. My dad would flip if I was acting stupid while he was in the middle of a conversation with other adults.

Young Parents are getting soft. They are spoiling these kids. I can only imagine what will happen when their kids have their own kids

gunsnewing
USA
9/17/2014  10:50 PM
Exactly eny
nixluva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #758
USA
9/17/2014  11:09 PM
When my kids were young I did 1st give verbal warnings and then they'd get a spanking on the bottom. Then I changed to just the angry dad mode where I raised my voice and pointed my finger. I decided to stop hitting my kids when I noticed my son flinch when I got angry and moved toward him. It really wasn't something I had to do a lot of anyway. I love my kids and think they been great. I did keep a tight leash tho and they knew not to act out. When I was a kid if my mom told us to behave as she shopped we did just that. There was no back talk or anything.

I remember getting some really brutal beatings as a kid but also my parents stopped doing it as I got into my teens. In the 70's I remember an electric cord beating that was real bad. It only happened once and I think many parents lose it at least once with their kids. I don't think my parents were abusive but today they would be arrested for a couple of beatings they gave me. I never went that far with my kids. I think every generation has gotten less physical with discipline. Heck in my Catholic school the Nuns would beat you with a ruler!!! That shows you how much times have changed.

gunsnewing
USA
9/17/2014  11:22 PM
Yea the belts, switches and electrical cords is a little too much. I had friends who were whooped in that manner by their parents. And their parents got it from their parents. Sometimes you just have to evolve and break from tradition.

This is where Peterson fails. He should know the dangers of child abuse better than anyone since he lost a 2yr old to excessive physical abuse last year by the mothers boyfriend

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
9/17/2014  11:37 PM
gunsnewing wrote:Yea the belts, switches and electrical cords is a little too much. I had friends who were whooped in that manner by their parents. And their parents got it from their parents. Sometimes you just have to evolve and break from tradition.

This is where Peterson fails. He should know the dangers of child abuse better than anyone since he lost a 2yr old to excessive physical abuse last year by the mothers boyfriend

I know many in the Black community are stuck on the concept. It's the easy way out when you're tired and just want your kids to behave. It takes more mental energy to discipline in other ways. I don't think zero spanking is good either. There has to be a balance.

gunsnewing
USA
9/17/2014  11:45 PM
Good point it is lazy parenting. Parenting is a lot more complex than beating kids to a pulp
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
9/18/2014  12:14 AM
If you yell, your losing. If you hit, you lost.
gunsnewing
USA
9/18/2014  12:20 AM
Nalod wrote:If you yell, your losing. If you hit, you lost.

Tell that to parents with uncontrollable kids

Kids are going to be kids. There will come a time you will have to at the very least yell

Unless you are a really lucky parent

yellowboy90
Member: #3538

9/18/2014  12:55 AM
I think I learned from watching my older brothers get whoopings. They ad to get their own switches at times.
Switches can definitely leave marks though. Hearing what they went through made me stay on the straight and narrow. I think I only got like two whoopings(by Hand) one for spying on my older brother getting his. lol. You want to see whats going on well then come closer

I can understand wanting to discipline your kid but at 4 years old it is not that real to strike him 15 times. 2-4 firm taps on the rear end would probably do the same thing.

smackeddog
Member: #883
9/18/2014  3:29 AM
gunsnewing wrote:Yea the belts, switches and electrical cords is a little too much. I had friends who were whooped in that manner by their parents. And their parents got it from their parents. Sometimes you just have to evolve and break from tradition.

My dad's family treated their beating stick as a family heirloom- it was passed down through generations, with the youngest son passing it onto his his kids to use on their kids, and so on- it even had a name!

I have lots off issues with people hitting their kids- for a start people who do it usually say its just about teaching them discipline etc etc, but the truth is most people who do hit their kids do it because they are either angry or because they've lost control of a situation- it's not this reasoned, calm sanction.

The respect thing's a myth- you teach your kids to fear you not respect you, there's a big difference. Behaviour wise all you really teach them is to try harder not to get caught.

People will respect people who treat them with respect- kids (and also when they become adults) who act up always have a reason for acting up- it isn't because they haven't been hit.

smackeddog
Member: #883
9/18/2014  3:33 AM
ToddTT wrote:No kids. Dogs though... and I would never hit them.

Ha- me too! and they are as good as gold!

Since this is a slow period--question ever hit your kids?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy