[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Basketball players that completely passed away their careers
Author Thread
technomaster
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #426
USA
8/29/2014  10:23 PM
Hey - to be fair about DC - he suffered from an irregular heartbeat, which for an athlete is an extremely serious condition. You might say from the moment he was diagnosed, he was never the same player.

smackeddog wrote:
EnySpree wrote:You can name NBA guys or street players....

I'll start with Derrick Coleman....This guy did not care about the game like he should have. He didn't take care of his body and he still got 20pts and 10 rebounds even when he got fat while playing in Philly. He could have had a hall of fame career. He had moments where he looked dominant and you wonder why he never gave a damn.

I've always wondered what Coleman could have accomplished if he'd been in shape. However, to be fair, just because you're talented at something, it doesn't mean you have to do it. If his heart wasn't in it, it wasn't in it. If I was great at basketball I don't know if I could put in the level of effort and commitment it requires- I'd probably end up like Mike Sweetney.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
AUTOADVERT
anrst
Member: #1054
USA
8/29/2014  10:54 PM
royce white
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

8/30/2014  5:25 AM
technomaster wrote:Hey - to be fair about DC - he suffered from an irregular heartbeat, which for an athlete is an extremely serious condition. You might say from the moment he was diagnosed, he was never the same player.

smackeddog wrote:

I'll start with Derrick Coleman....This guy did not care about the game like he should have. He didn't take care of his body and he still got 20pts and 10 rebounds even when he got fat while playing in Philly. He could have had a hall of fame career. He had moments where he looked dominant and you wonder why he never gave a damn.

I've always wondered what Coleman could have accomplished if he'd been in shape. However, to be fair, just because you're talented at something, it doesn't mean you have to do it. If his heart wasn't in it, it wasn't in it. If I was great at basketball I don't know if I could put in the level of effort and commitment it requires- I'd probably end up like Mike Sweetney.

You know I forgot about that. So that's a legit reason why he was unable to get in the proper condition. OK so I'll back off.

He still would have been great if this wasn't the case.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
EnySpree

8/30/2014  5:58 AM
Booger Smith.....

He is probably the best point guard I ever saw in person. He was like magic Johnson with the way he passed the ball on the fast break. I've seen him plenty of times growing up, playing ball and just in the street. My cousin knew him from around the way. He just couldn't stay out of the hood. His opportunities are well documented in the movie Soul in the Hole.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
8/30/2014  7:10 AM
Eddy Curry. Just didn't have the drive. He could drop 20 points by accident. He could've been a beast!

Darius Miles qualify? Dude had all the talent in the world, the size and the quickness. I think someone already mentioned Tim Thomas.

I felt like Jason Williams from the Nets was going to become an all time defensive great. I felt like he was on his way.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
EnySpree

8/30/2014  7:47 AM
Oliver Miller....He was very talented. Just couldn't stop eating. He was one of my favorite players when he was on Phoenix. Shoulda been more successful.

Mike Sweetney....same as above. I really thought the knicks had a 20/10 guy easy with this guy.

John Wallace....****ing guy almost won a national championship by himself in Syracuse. I thought he was 20/10 too....slipped in the Draft to the knicks and was a bust. I think he was more interested in his off the court ventures.

Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
8/30/2014  9:46 AM
Fred Weis
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
8/30/2014  10:03 AM
EnySpree wrote:Oliver Miller....He was very talented. Just couldn't stop eating. He was one of my favorite players when he was on Phoenix. Shoulda been more successful.

Mike Sweetney....same as above. I really thought the knicks had a 20/10 guy easy with this guy.

John Wallace....****ing guy almost won a national championship by himself in Syracuse. I thought he was 20/10 too....slipped in the Draft to the knicks and was a bust. I think he was more interested in his off the court ventures.

I think John Wallace wasn't suited for the nba game. At 6'8" you're either versatile or a tweener. Anthony is versatile and can play either forward position at a superstar level. Wallace... Not so much. In college you can be a transcendent player at that height.

Teams make mistakes on these types of guys in the lottery all the time. Anthony Bennett. Derrick Williams. Marvin Williams. Ed obannon. Jeff green. Otto porter. Beasley. Tyrus Thomas. At least they have reasonable floors - rotation players at the least.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
knicks1248
Member: #582
8/30/2014  10:08 AM
felipe lopez, talk about all hype when he was at St Johns, did he even make it in the NBA?
ES
EnySpree

8/30/2014  10:37 AM
knicks1248 wrote:felipe lopez, talk about all hype when he was at St Johns, did he even make it in the NBA?

We talked about him before. He was Lebron before Lebron. I just think he let the hype get to him. He never actually got better and everyone caught up to him. He had knee issues too on top of that.

knicks1248
Member: #582
8/30/2014  10:48 AM
EnySpree wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:felipe lopez, talk about all hype when he was at St Johns, did he even make it in the NBA?

We talked about him before. He was Lebron before Lebron. I just think he let the hype get to him. He never actually got better and everyone caught up to him. He had knee issues too on top of that.

He wasn't all that in college, I don't know where the hype came from

ES
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
8/30/2014  11:14 AM
EnySpree wrote:Oliver Miller....He was very talented. Just couldn't stop eating. He was one of my favorite players when he was on Phoenix. Shoulda been more successful.

I loved Miller. He was extremely talented despite his girth. Not sure what happened to Wallace. I thought he was a steal on draft night and loved him at Syracuse.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
EnySpree

8/30/2014  12:59 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/30/2014  1:01 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
EnySpree wrote:

He wasn't all that in college, I don't know where the hype came from

High school. He was very dominant in high school. NBA ready body and super personality.

Your right in college he wasn't all that. My theory is he never really got better. He was the same player in high school that he was in the pros.

He was a rock star during his high school days though.

JesseDark
Member: #467
8/30/2014  6:54 PM
How about Omar Cook, thought he was God's gift to basketball. Shoulda stayed for a few years at St Johns and learn to play the right way.
Bring back dee-fense
alwaysaknick
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #5711

8/30/2014  11:06 PM
Marshon brooks

I remember he has a promising rookie season and don't for what reason he is now playing in Euro. Smh.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
8/30/2014  11:11 PM
alwaysaknick wrote:Marshon brooks

I remember he has a promising rookie season and don't for what reason he is now playing in Euro. Smh.

Agree. Brooks had talent and freakish measurements. Not sure what happened. I thought he would be playing somewhere this year.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
JesseDark
8/31/2014  10:20 AM
gunsnewing wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:

True Story:

When Nets used to play in Piscataway on Rutgers campus crowds were small and tickets were easy to get. My friend and I are going to watch Nets vs. Suns in Bernard King and Walter Davis's rookie years I believe. We are running late and standing in line to get into the arena about 10 mins before game time. A guy taps me on the shoulder and says excuse me. I turn and look at it is Bernard in a dirty grey pin-strip suit - getting to the game minutes before tip-off.

All I remember of the game was that Bernard went for 39 I believe and Walter Davis I think 37.

Both Bernard and Walter had some substance issues in their careers - Bernard got hold of his and Walter flamed out earlier than he should have.

Did Dr. J play in Piscataway? That would be pretty sick to see

Dr. J never played in Piscataway. The Nets played at Nassau Colliseum on Long Island at the time. Julius was traded to the 76ers the first season of the NBA/ABA merger.

Bring back dee-fense
JesseDark
8/31/2014  10:24 AM
Another play who blew it, Luther Ticky Burden. Convicted of bank robbery. There was an article on him a few months back. I remmeber the story well cause as a child my first bank account I had was in the bank he was accused of robbing.
Bring back dee-fense
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
9/2/2014  8:17 AM
Allanfan20 wrote:Look no further than Mr. I have kids to feed.
Yeah, he was an all star but he could have done so much more and when
He arrogantly and ignorantly turned down those contracts, he
F'ed himself over. He's now all But forgotten.

He wasn't what he was by then, anyway. There wasn't much to to piss away after a few years in Minniesota. He was in the process of getting less playing time than Trenton Hassell.

And he was still always light years ahead of H20. Get over it.

EnySpree

9/2/2014  12:06 PM
JesseDark wrote:Another play who blew it, Luther Ticky Burden. Convicted of bank robbery. There was an article on him a few months back. I remmeber the story well cause as a child my first bank account I had was in the bank he was accused of robbing.

That's incredible. Guys had to get second jobs back then though so guys needed money. Different world now

Basketball players that completely passed away their careers

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy