[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Basketball players that completely passed away their careers
Author Thread
LivingLegend
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1645

8/28/2014  4:39 PM
EnySpree wrote:You can name NBA guys or street players....

I'll start with Derrick Coleman....This guy did not care about the game like he should have. He didn't take care of his body and he still got 20pts and 10 rebounds even when he got fat while playing in Philly. He could have had a hall of fame career. He had moments where he looked dominant and you wonder why he never gave a damn.

True Story:

When Nets used to play in Piscataway on Rutgers campus crowds were small and tickets were easy to get. My friend and I are going to watch Nets vs. Suns in Bernard King and Walter Davis's rookie years I believe. We are running late and standing in line to get into the arena about 10 mins before game time. A guy taps me on the shoulder and says excuse me. I turn and look at it is Bernard in a dirty grey pin-strip suit - getting to the game minutes before tip-off.

All I remember of the game was that Bernard went for 39 I believe and Walter Davis I think 37.

Both Bernard and Walter had some substance issues in their careers - Bernard got hold of his and Walter flamed out earlier than he should have.

AUTOADVERT
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
8/28/2014  5:00 PM
Jason Williams after signing a big contract. Shot his driver. Another Gilbert Arenas these guy pissed their careers away.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/28/2014  6:43 PM
Melo?

Baron Davis was an allstar. I think we pass judgement about injuries to some of these guys. They are done but have max contracts so they have to try. Sure he was in better shape some years, but then he had back troubles and if so its hard to stay in shape. You get up and go make that max scratch!!!

Rashweed?? I think he got a lot of his career and again, who are we to call out a 6-11 guy whose body is ravaged by playing ball into middle age?

Marbles? Delonte? Jason WIlliams? Kemp? Coleman? all good examples. Washburn was a head case in college and a mess in the NBA. Albert King?
Pearl Washington ever really good enough? Kenny Anderson got big money. Attitude? Blow?

Some of the guys mentioned were never cut out for a career as an athlete. Depression issues is not pissing away a career. They are big, have ability but its the money and family telling them what to do and never had the passion. Eddy Curry never wanted to be a professional athlete, it came easy to him and the money was thrown at him. Some guys should take the money, play a few years then get an education and take care of the money. When you come from nothing its easier said then done. Isiah should have known better.

yellowboy90
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3538

8/28/2014  7:08 PM
Andrea Bargnani.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

8/28/2014  8:15 PM
Lloyd Daniels....he was a legendary streetball player but screwed basically every chance he got and screwed over a lot of people that vouched for him until his career was over. His body was so screwed over due to drugs he was a shell of his former self by the time he got himself together.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
8/28/2014  11:00 PM
Look no further than Mr. I have kids to feed.
Yeah, he was an all star but he could have done so much more and when
He arrogantly and ignorantly turned down those contracts, he
F'ed himself over. He's now all But forgotten.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

8/29/2014  12:45 AM

I'll start with Derrick Coleman....This guy did not care about the game like he should have. He didn't take care of his body and he still got 20pts and 10 rebounds even when he got fat while playing in Philly. He could have had a hall of fame career. He had moments where he looked dominant and you wonder why he never gave a damn.

I'm going to stick up for DC. The dude had a solid NBA career and justified his selection as first round pick. Yeah he wasn't a hall of famer, but there are a lot of guys who didn't make the hall of fame. That doesn't mean he pissed away his career. I consider a guy like Richard Dumas to be a waste. He was given a chance to succeed, but he pissed his career away because of drugs. The guy had the talent to be an all star. Roy Tarpley and William Bedford also come to mind.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
8/29/2014  1:12 AM
Did anyone mention Eddy Curry??? He did have talent and just never took his career seriously. What was his favorite meal, Chicken Alfredo?
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

8/29/2014  6:50 AM
nixluva wrote:Did anyone mention Eddy Curry??? He did have talent and just never took his career seriously. What was his favorite meal, Chicken Alfredo?

His favorite meal was the left side of the menu.

gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
8/29/2014  7:33 AM
LivingLegend wrote:

True Story:

When Nets used to play in Piscataway on Rutgers campus crowds were small and tickets were easy to get. My friend and I are going to watch Nets vs. Suns in Bernard King and Walter Davis's rookie years I believe. We are running late and standing in line to get into the arena about 10 mins before game time. A guy taps me on the shoulder and says excuse me. I turn and look at it is Bernard in a dirty grey pin-strip suit - getting to the game minutes before tip-off.

All I remember of the game was that Bernard went for 39 I believe and Walter Davis I think 37.

Both Bernard and Walter had some substance issues in their careers - Bernard got hold of his and Walter flamed out earlier than he should have.

Did Dr. J play in Piscataway? That would be pretty sick to see

gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
8/29/2014  7:34 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:Did anyone mention Eddy Curry??? He did have talent and just never took his career seriously. What was his favorite meal, Chicken Alfredo?

His favorite meal was the left side of the menu.

The catering menu!!!

LivingLegend
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1645

8/29/2014  9:47 AM
gunsnewing wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:

True Story:

Did Dr. J play in Piscataway? That would be pretty sick to see

No - Nets were in nab at that time and Dr j had already been sold to Sixers.

Another vivid memory from Rutgers days - watching young Moses Malone warming up before game and swearing he was completely stoned. Game starts and Moses goes for 39 points and 29 rebounds

smackeddog
Member: #883
8/29/2014  10:34 AM
Vmart wrote:Jason Williams after signing a big contract. Shot his driver. Another Gilbert Arenas these guy pissed their careers away.

Didn't Williams break his leg before he shot his driver- I think he broke his leg and couldn't play again. Always feel bad for him because he looks like a haunted man and is genuinely remorseful for killing that driver.

Swishfm3
Member: #392
8/29/2014  11:25 AM
VDesai wrote:Marbury's career went down the toilet in the blink of an eye

His NBA career..yes...but he seems to be having success overseas

Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

8/29/2014  12:03 PM
Michael Sugar Ray Richardson. Dude had hall of fame talent. He was a 6'5 version of Magic Johnson but he was a better defender. People always talk about the Knicks/Nets Christmas game when Bernard dropped 60 (40 by halftime) but don't seem to remember that the Knicks lost that game mainly because Michael Ray Richardson had a triple double including, I believe about 35 pts.

Sugar Ray also led the Nets in the upset victory over the defending Champ Sixers. In a series that featured Dr. J, Moses Malone, Buck Williams and Andrew Toney, Sugar Ray was clearly the MVP. So much wasted talent. Larry Bird called him one of the best players he ever saw...

EnySpree

8/29/2014  6:58 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:

I'm going to stick up for DC. The dude had a solid NBA career and justified his selection as first round pick. Yeah he wasn't a hall of famer, but there are a lot of guys who didn't make the hall of fame. That doesn't mean he pissed away his career. I consider a guy like Richard Dumas to be a waste. He was given a chance to succeed, but he pissed his career away because of drugs. The guy had the talent to be an all star. Roy Tarpley and William Bedford also come to mind.

If the guy took care of his body he would have been a hall of famer. That's just as bad as drugs to an athlete. He was damn good but should have been damn great.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

8/29/2014  7:14 PM
EnySpree wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

If the guy took care of his body he would have been a hall of famer. That's just as bad as drugs to an athlete. He was damn good but should have been damn great.

I'll play devil's advocate and say that Derrick Coleman did maximize his talent. He was never on the athletic level as Kemp or LJ. But it was obvious that the guy did put in some work on his ballhandling, passing and post game. You don't build up that level of skill being lazy. The dude also played 36 minutes a game during his prime years and he put in 12 quality seasons as a pro. Coleman will never be confused with Karl malone, but he battled on the court and he held his own in what was perhaps the golden age of centers and power forwards in the league. I have a hard time saying a guy pissed away his career when he had a better career than 90 percent of the guys who have suited up in the league. Eddy Curry pissed away his career. Derrick Coleman put up solid career numbers for more than a decade. I can't really compare the two.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
EnySpree

8/29/2014  7:39 PM
Uptown wrote:Michael Sugar Ray Richardson. Dude had hall of fame talent. He was a 6'5 version of Magic Johnson but he was a better defender. People always talk about the Knicks/Nets Christmas game when Bernard dropped 60 (40 by halftime) but don't seem to remember that the Knicks lost that game mainly because Michael Ray Richardson had a triple double including, I believe about 35 pts.

Sugar Ray also led the Nets in the upset victory over the defending Champ Sixers. In a series that featured Dr. J, Moses Malone, Buck Williams and Andrew Toney, Sugar Ray was clearly the MVP. So much wasted talent. Larry Bird called him one of the best players he ever saw...

Sugar still put up great numbers until he was banned by David stern. It's amazing that he still suited up for most of his ganes and he was coached by red holtzman early on with the Knicks. I know the NBA want to keep the image clean but he still put up great numbers while abusing cocaine. He went to Europe and put up numbers out there too for winning clubs and played till he was 40 I believe. He fixed his life and is giving back. The NBA did let him do some NBA appearances a few years back. I wonder what he's up to now?

anrst
Member: #1054
USA
8/29/2014  8:44 PM
LeBron. He not as good as Michael.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/29/2014  10:20 PM
Lenny Cook
http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.lennycookemovie.com/&sa=U&ei=lTMBVLmfENLwgwSGxYKQBQ&ved=0CCcQFjAB&usg=AFQjCNH3XC3aoz8pxTfMSDR4YZSTd1aLpg

Omar was a second round pick..........

Darius Miles?

Basketball players that completely passed away their careers

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy