[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

I can see no way that the Knicks are much better than last season because point guard change. Convince me or agree
Author Thread
StarksEwing1
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #4451

9/2/2014  8:19 AM
jrodmc wrote:
babyKnicks wrote:Madness.

Linsanity 2. Can't wait to see how someone who was made redundant by Harden is going to be super-relevant with Kobe.

Revisionist history lives!

Not sure why the hate on Lin. I mean im not a Lin fan but to be fair Linsanity was one of the few bright spots the Knicks have had since 2000 sadly
AUTOADVERT
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
9/2/2014  8:33 AM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
babyKnicks wrote:Madness.

Linsanity 2. Can't wait to see how someone who was made redundant by Harden is going to be super-relevant with Kobe.

Revisionist history lives!

Not sure why the hate on Lin. I mean im not a Lin fan but to be fair Linsanity was one of the few bright spots the Knicks have had since 2000 sadly

He was a bright spot that lasted for all of two weeks, with no playoffs. Meanwhile, we get to the playoffs for years on the back of the franchise leading scorer and the only true starphuck we've had since Ewing, and all he gets is mostly abuse.

Try figuring out the MeloHate. Much more challenging.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
9/2/2014  8:46 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
knickscity wrote:I recall my dialogues with nix last year, he was spouting off about how the old guys did nothing, this is the same team...bargnani would be so superb only to look like a complete fool when i told him this team was worse. I heard so much "this team is younger and more athletic, they obviously are better". I'm pretty sure he was praising felton, i was as well...even the 54 win team looked like poop without him when his hand was injured.

Sure try and make it sound like you had it all figured out now. Tells us how you knew they'd start the year 3-13. You had no way of knowing all the events that took place would all work out to make last year such a lost season. You may not have liked the team but you didn't know they'd be that bad cuz you couldn't know all these things would happen as they did.

Specific good and bad stretches cancel each other out. Wouldn't you be more interested in learning how the models correctly predicted that this would be a sub .500 rather than searching for a reason to dismiss them?

How the F can anyone predict Marital issues, a weak leg after surgery, broken leg, Dolan f'ing with Woody etc? That ish was a fluke cuz IMO minus those issues NO F'ing WAY the Knicks only win 37 games!!! You guys can believe that ish if you want but I'm not buying it. Too many factors involved to think that wasn't just a fluke. It doesn't matter to me what happened last year. This team had enough talent to be a playoff team and underperformed. They should not have lost that many games based on talent.

This year the team has a chance to be a playoff team once again and that should be the goal. Some people are saying they expect them to miss the playoffs again but I disagree. I see a playoff team that has a chance to win their Division.

It's on the players and coaches to maximize the talent they have. If they do their jobs that should happen. There's enough talent to compete for the Division.

dk7th
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #4228
USA
9/2/2014  9:03 AM
nixluva wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
knickscity wrote:I recall my dialogues with nix last year, he was spouting off about how the old guys did nothing, this is the same team...bargnani would be so superb only to look like a complete fool when i told him this team was worse. I heard so much "this team is younger and more athletic, they obviously are better". I'm pretty sure he was praising felton, i was as well...even the 54 win team looked like poop without him when his hand was injured.

Sure try and make it sound like you had it all figured out now. Tells us how you knew they'd start the year 3-13. You had no way of knowing all the events that took place would all work out to make last year such a lost season. You may not have liked the team but you didn't know they'd be that bad cuz you couldn't know all these things would happen as they did.

Specific good and bad stretches cancel each other out. Wouldn't you be more interested in learning how the models correctly predicted that this would be a sub .500 rather than searching for a reason to dismiss them?

How the F can anyone predict Marital issues, a weak leg after surgery, broken leg, Dolan f'ing with Woody etc? That ish was a fluke cuz IMO minus those issues NO F'ing WAY the Knicks only win 37 games!!! You guys can believe that ish if you want but I'm not buying it. Too many factors involved to think that wasn't just a fluke. It doesn't matter to me what happened last year. This team had enough talent to be a playoff team and underperformed. They should not have lost that many games based on talent.

This year the team has a chance to be a playoff team once again and that should be the goal. Some people are saying they expect them to miss the playoffs again but I disagree. I see a playoff team that has a chance to win their Division.

It's on the players and coaches to maximize the talent they have. If they do their jobs that should happen. There's enough talent to compete for the Division.

the schoene prediction model looked at the loss of three-point shooters-- novak, kidd, and copeland-- and factored in injury as it does for all teams. then there is the leadership vacuum that tipped the scales to implosion.

without leadership a team will be more likely to underperform. sorry but that's on melo-- no ifs ands or buts.

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
knicks1248
Member: #582
9/2/2014  10:37 AM
dk7th wrote:
nixluva wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
nixluva wrote:

the schoene prediction model looked at the loss of three-point shooters-- novak, kidd, and copeland-- and factored in injury as it does for all teams. then there is the leadership vacuum that tipped the scales to implosion.

without leadership a team will be more likely to underperform. sorry but that's on melo-- no ifs ands or buts.

Your right, I have always been an advocate when it comes to leadership, but when the team won 54 games, melo wasn't the leader then, when denver won 57 games and made it to the ECF, melo wasn't the leader on that team. I have already except the fact that leadership is not in his DNA, some got it, some don't.

Last yr around xmas, i started a thread about ESPNs 37 win prediction, i saw it coming and we still had 50+ games remaining (although I thought they were nuts when the predictions first came out). Right before the season began I made a thread title "Lack of Leadership" That was a absolute glaring weakness without those veterans.

Thats 10 losses without it, we had one of the worst records in the league in Games decided by 5 points or less, complete opposite from the previous season. we just had no one to execute plays down the stretch, no defensive stops in the last couple of possessions, i'll advise timeouts.

When you factoring all of the **** we could have control, it's impossible for ESPN to accurately predict a record, I think they can honestly predict a round about number within 5 to 7 games, but to be right on the nose, they mind as well predict lottery numbers, and get out of the sport business.

ES
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
9/2/2014  10:53 AM
nixluva wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
nixluva wrote:

Actually, it seems pretty obvious that a couple of players will have marital issues at some point in the season, some players will have weak legs due to injury, etc. And you really think no one could have predicted that Dolan would get in the way?

arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
9/2/2014  11:01 AM
F500ONE wrote:
nixluva wrote:
F500ONE wrote:Knickscity thanks for the links

Here's what I want to focus on

From the Bargnani thread last year

Nix said the below

nixluva wrote:Your arguments suggest that the Knicks will end up the same as they were last year in every aspect of the game. The idea is for the team to improve. The roster is improved over last years roster. To suggest that this team is going to remain mediocre defensively and sub par in rebounding is possible but we actually don't know that for sure. It's entirely possible for the Knicks to get better tho I'm not suggesting that they'll be the best on defense or rebounding. What I am suggesting is that as a team they can play better with the addition of AB and others this year and that AB should start at PF because it makes the most sense for the rotations. AB starting makes sense for putting a balanced SL out there with a 7' center, 7' PF who can defend their positions well enough. It's on Woody and the staff to make that work as it should. If Bargnani could play next to Bosh I think he'd be even better next to Tyson in terms of how they complement each others flaws.

So the 2012-2013 team won 54gms

Nix said in bold the 2013-2014 team was better

Felton was on the 54win team

Felton was on the 2013-2014

If it was better

Was it better than 54gms

At a minimum it had to at least win 50gms

To be considered better

Fast forward to now we trade for Calderon

Team projection is 50gms, Calderon a 13gm difference

How can Calderon be a 13gm difference when

Nix projected the team with Felton to be better than the 54win team

Apparently it's pretty obvious he

Isn't very good with assessing the team, nor players here

After one losing season in which so many things went wrong it's easy for you guys to point to the things I said and say whatever you want cuz the team failed so miserably. That's fine. It doesn't make your point of view right cuz last year the team underachieved in almost every way. The team failed to launch.

You guys keep looking at the final result of last season and saying "YES I WAS RIGHT" but right about what? You predicted a slumping JR, Felton and for Tyson to break his leg? You predicted that Woody would be totally lost on how to use his roster? I don't think you guys predicted that we'd lose so many games that we had double digit leads against weak opponents and throw away games we should've won with just proper coaching or execution at the end of the game. I'm pretty sure no one foresaw a 9-21 start in the 1st 30 games.

This is all fine, but has nothing to really do with arguments for this roster this year being able to make the playoffs. Does the roster makes sense for what they want to run? Can they come together and play a better brand of BB and make good use of their talents? Do we have better leadership from Phil, Fish and the coaching staff? In the end you guys are just luxuriating in the fact that last year was a failure and you can enjoy your temporary stance of superiority on that fact. It really has no bearing on how things will go this year. I'm pretty sure that none of you guys were saying anything when the team was going gangbusters at the start of the 54 win season. After the 37 win season it's fun to crow and puff out your chest as if you really predicted that. All of the crazy things that happened on and off the court to produce such a poor season you guys predicted? Yeah right.

In any event This will be a very interesting season to watch. We haven't had this kind of front office unity in a long time and it will be interesting to see how they teach the players on this team and how that impacts the players. No more confusion or flat out lack of vision for what this team is going to be about. You haters can have fun watching for any slip up out of the gate by this team. The rest of us will be actually rooting for the team to succeed.

Crow and Puff//// what?

You mean like you

A Silver Back Gorilla in the Mist

Beating his chest over a Calderon addition

I'm not predicting any broken legs, elbow, or ACL inuries

I'm not predicting any player getting subpoenaed to court

I'm not predicting any player abstaining from pork or meats

I'm not predicting the Triangle becoming an Octagon

I'm not predicting who's Smith and Wesson

On the Streets

I'm saying we haven't improved enough yet

Regardless of what could prove to be true

Now I very well could be wrong

No sweat off my back, I'll gladly say I was wrong

This team owes to prove me wrong, looking forward to it

Will not root for losses, unless lottery implications surface

Of course this roster this yr is up for discussion

The scoreboard says 0-0, the optimism is at an all time high for you

There is no need to get too high or too low.
This is new team and it will have its own history.
We will see this history to play out and this is interesting.
Long time coming... After so many years of misery and embarrassment this have to be exiting.
Just give me some solid no-nonsense game based on effort and common sense.
Then winning will eventually come when this team will earn it.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
9/2/2014  11:07 AM
knickstorrents wrote:I actually can't read too much of Nixluva's posts, they are generally too long and they all basically say the same thing - KNICKS ROCK THEY ARE BETTER THIS YEAR HERE'S WHY!!! I usually just skip them over. Sorry Nixluva.

Unfortunately It's not just Nix who is predictable. Been skimming through some posters for a while now since I know exactly what they are going to say

jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
9/2/2014  11:38 AM
gunsnewing wrote:
knickstorrents wrote:I actually can't read too much of Nixluva's posts, they are generally too long and they all basically say the same thing - KNICKS ROCK THEY ARE BETTER THIS YEAR HERE'S WHY!!! I usually just skip them over. Sorry Nixluva.

Unfortunately It's not just Nix who is predictable. Been skimming through some posters for a while now since I know exactly what they are going to say

Hope your poster prescience converts over on UltimateHornets, too.

knicks1248
Member: #582
9/2/2014  11:50 AM
gunsnewing wrote:

Everyone on this board says the same thing, generally standing by the their beliefs. If you're getting the same response in different threads, it's because someone is still in doubt, or only looking at it from their own prospective.

ES
F500ONE
Member: #5844

9/2/2014  11:52 AM    LAST EDITED: 9/2/2014  12:02 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
nixluva wrote:

Actually, it seems pretty obvious that a couple of players will have marital issues at some point in the season, some players will have weak legs due to injury, etc. And you really think no one could have predicted that Dolan would get in the way?

None of these media forecasters

Suggest the season failures of a team[any team for the matter]

Are tied to the things Nix is denouncing as

"No way No how could they have known this or known that"

They don't make predictions itemizing

Those specifics, they use more known commodities of likely failure

Better yet what they do so uniquely dissimilar to Nix

They profile the whole league, providing better analytical breakdown

Of what's likely to happen

Do they get it right all the time

Of course not, but they go below the surface often

Never straight jacketing a team or few workings of one, like Nix

babyKnicks
Member: #1191
USA
9/2/2014  1:42 PM
jrodmc wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:

Hope your poster prescience converts over on UltimateHornets, too.

Post if the thread right here.

Let's go Knicks. That's amare
TeamBall
Member: #4386

9/2/2014  2:39 PM
gunsnewing wrote:

That could be because so many threads devolve into Melo threads and I think by now everyone knows how everyone feels about Melo.
Knicksfan: Hypocrite league that fines players after the game for flopping but in the game and with obvious flopping they call the fouls.
smackeddog
Member: #883
9/2/2014  2:59 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:

Everyone on this board says the same thing, generally standing by the their beliefs. If you're getting the same response in different threads, it's because someone is still in doubt, or only looking at it from their own prospective.

Exactly- we're all repeating ourselves at this point. I enjoy nixluva posts- I like some positivity.

nixluva
USA
9/2/2014  4:06 PM
Here's what factored into the SCHOENE system's projection:

1. 3-point outage
2. Fewer looks, makes for Anthony
3. The effects of age

I think the 3pt prediction and Melo's looks prediction weren't as much of a factor as they made it out to be. The drop off in 3pt makes per game was 1.6 but they made 2 more 2pt FG's per game. The shift in style of play made by Woody was the biggest factor. He moved away from using the spread offense completely. There was no need to make that drastic of a shift. They wound up taking fewer 3's per game even tho they were hitting for the same % as the 54 win season. That was a strategic shift that was questioned by a lot of people.

I don't see the age thing really being an issue last year. Tyson breaking his leg and Bargs missed dunk attempt was an issue, but there really wasn't the same kind of age issues as the previous year where guys just wore down as the year progressed.

The huge drop in production from JR and Felton was a major factor early in the year along with Woody not having a clue, the players not being as prepared to play as a team. The defense was off and inconsistent no matter who we played, it still wasn't where it should be. Breaking out to large 1st half leads only to blow them and lose those games was huge issue.

Per Game 12-13
MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% 2P 2PA 2P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
240.6 36.5 81.6 .448 10.9 28.9 .376 25.7 52.7 .487 16.0 21.1 .759 10.9 29.7 40.6 19.3 8.2 3.6 12.0 20.1 100
PEr Game 13-14
242.1 36.9 82.2 .449 9.3 24.9 .372 27.7 57.3 .482 15.5 20.4 .761 10.6 29.7 40.3 20.0 7.7 4.5 13.0 22.1 98.6

Melo had a slight dip but not so much in terms of his looks as they predicted.

G GS MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% 2P 2PA 2P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
67 67 37.0 10.0 22.2 .449 2.3 6.2 .379 7.6 16.0 .476 6.3 7.6 .830 2.0 4.9 6.9 2.6 0.8 0.5 2.6 3.1 28.7
77 77 38.7 9.6 21.3 .452 2.2 5.4 .402 7.5 15.9 .469 6.0 7.0 .848 1.9 6.2 8.1 3.1 1.2 0.7 2.6 2.9 27.4

They dropped off in defense where in 2012-13 they had a defensive rating of 106.3 and last year it was 109.1 a drop in efficiency of 2.8. Offensive rating was 111.1 and last year it was 108.3 a drop of 2.8. This was obviously a deadly combo. The Knicks won't need to be great defensively but they have to get back to at least the middle of the pack. They can't have another season of bad defense again this year. We need them to improve their offensive efficiency again, but this time in a way that is sustainable and more playoff ready. That's what I think the Triangle Offense can do for this team.

JR can't have a bad start to the season like last year and his being healthy this summer should help prevent that. Jose needs to be more solid than Felton was last year. We need THJ and Shump to show improvement and dependability.
STAT needs to pick up where he left off late last year. Bargs needs to play offensively more like he did in Nov. and defensively like he did when Tyson went down and he was playing Center. It would be great if Larkin was able to give us a spark this year off the bench along with Early, Jason and Acy. None of these things are out of the realm of possibility. Guys just need to be relaxed and confident and they should be able to perform as expected. I think Fish and his staff can put these players in the right frame of mind.

Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

9/2/2014  4:21 PM
smackeddog wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:

Exactly- we're all repeating ourselves at this point. I enjoy nixluva posts- I like some positivity.

Same....

Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

9/2/2014  4:30 PM
F500ONE wrote:
Uptown wrote:So, it says that you joined 6/28/14 and yet you are pulling up threads from last year? I knew your posting style looked/read with familiarity...

"You Know you done messed up, don't you!" 3g4g, aka, Trueblue aka Juice....

Uptown didn't follow this thread

I never pulled up links

Knickscity did

What are you talking about

I clicked on the links he provided

Read a couple pages and found material

For the record why are identities so important here

In the classroom, before my class reads a novel or an opinion column, I always do an about the author story background with my students as a point of reference. Obviously, its different on message boards and forums where most people are just screen names. However, when a poster has been around for a while, be banned several times, and continues to come back and spew the same rhetoric, with the same agenda, it gives us a point a reference and to understand where you are coming from. Nothing personal, just an observation....

nixluva
USA
9/2/2014  5:19 PM
Uptown wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:

Same....

Thx guys. I figure on ULTIMATE KNICKS it should be ok to talk positively about the team. There's already enough negative crap that happened on the court. Gotta at least try to see the silver lining for a new season with all the changes since Phil's come on board.

I think there are enough positive changes for us to discuss in this dead period. Gotta like the young assets Phil was able to grab. The new coaching staff looks promising. Seven new players to discuss. I mean it's not the same team in many ways. IMO Phil made decent moves to make things better!

TeamBall
Member: #4386

9/2/2014  7:42 PM
nixluva wrote:
Uptown wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:

Same....

Thx guys. I figure on ULTIMATE KNICKS it should be ok to talk positively about the team. There's already enough negative crap that happened on the court. Gotta at least try to see the silver lining for a new season with all the changes since Phil's come on board.

I think there are enough positive changes for us to discuss in this dead period. Gotta like the young assets Phil was able to grab. The new coaching staff looks promising. Seven new players to discuss. I mean it's not the same team in many ways. IMO Phil made decent moves to make things better!

Keep doing what you're doing nix. I haven't been able to post much over the summer but I enjoyed reading your posts.
Knicksfan: Hypocrite league that fines players after the game for flopping but in the game and with obvious flopping they call the fouls.
RonRon
Member: #246
9/2/2014  8:09 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/2/2014  8:13 PM
TeamBall wrote:
nixluva wrote:
Uptown wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:

Same....

Keep doing what you're doing nix. I haven't been able to post much over the summer but I enjoyed reading your posts.

Yes, I agree, while I might not agree on some of NixLuva's opinions, I certainly credit his anaylsis and positive thinking
It certainly isn't easy, watching the Knick's and posting for this past 10-15years, with all the changes and horrible on and off the court situations

Like most here, I believe we are more concerned about Calderon's DEFENSE

Regardless, he is a big upgrade when compared to Felton, and despite his age *he never use's his physical abilities

comparable

to Steve Nash who has had many great years after 32years of age while lacking all physical abilities from speed/quickness/athleticism/strength/length/height
And he is a good "locker room guy, leader on and off the court, and looks to create for team mates, has good BB IQ and great shooter"

I can see no way that the Knicks are much better than last season because point guard change. Convince me or agree

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy