Figured This Was Shump's Problem
Author Thread
F500ONE
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5844

8/27/2014  7:16 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/27/2014  7:18 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
bernard wrote:As some others have said, I think the biggest part of last year's problems for Shump were physical. He didn't have the explosion or athleticism of 2 years back. I can't remember more than 1 or 2 big dunks. Was weak finishing around the rim. Was not a dominating ball hawk. Certainly, he isn't the strongest guy mentally and being not quite right physically played with his confidence.

He came back pretty quickly, perhaps before he was ready (look how much time Rose took). I'm hoping he'll be back to where he was physically this year and that his confidence will come back too. I could see a big bounceback year for him.

Why compare to Rose and not to Westbrook?

Obviously everybody heals differently but

Picking the example to try to fit the preferred picture

To paint is a little disingenuous

He probably picked Rose because they were injured on the same day with the same injury. The rehab time for a meniscus is different than an ACL in most cases.

Okay but Westbrook actually had 3 surgeries not 2

As I had figured

Check out some differences below

The point I was getting at////// Westrbook

Looked like his old self almost immediately coming back

Yet his injury is one producing continual discomfort

Scarily, meniscus tears are oftentimes more frightening than ACL tears, in spite of the relatively short recovery time. While an ACL tear may keep a player out for up to a year, and a meniscus tear results in half as long to return from, a compromised repaired meniscus can often lead to perpetual swelling and knee pain, sometimes resulting a career-altering microfracture surgery. While an ACL tear can often result in a cut and dry return to action after an extended period of time, meniscus tears can lead to operation after operation as the player in question experiences continuing discomfort – as we’ve seen with Westbrook’s two post-tear surgeries.

Shump was out pretty much a whole year

He performed well in the playoffs the year he returned

Had a full offseason to recoup

Came back playing like trash

AUTOADVERT
yellowboy90
Member: #3538

8/27/2014  8:45 PM
I don't want a big quote fest.

Shump came back in January and he was injured in late April or early May in the previous year. I'm just giving you benard's possible reason. I think most people try to compare players with the same injury.

I would compare Westbrook with Bledsoe since I think both of them had their meniscus partially removed. Rose on the other hand had his repaired which takes longer but has the potential of greater long term success.

Now do I give him an excuse for the season he came back in, yes. Last year was all him. I guess one can argue he had surgery in the off season but you need to show something as the year progress. Despite what I think of him this is his payday year. So if he doesn't perform this year I doubt anyone will excuse him.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
8/27/2014  10:24 PM
I think Phil trades him if he can.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
8/28/2014  12:24 AM
CrushAlot wrote:I think Phil trades him if he can.

I don't know about that. I have to disagree a little in regard to the make up of the roster. This team is extremely well balanced. In fact it's more balanced than I can remember in recent history. We're deep at every position. I think this is a VERY SOLID roster. In the future we only really need to upgrade at PG, PF and maybe C.
Adding a younger PG to replace Prigs. Replacing STAT or Bargs with a younger 2 way PF. Likely only replacing Dalembert with a younger C. For this season I think we have nice coverage at every position.

New York Knicks
POS STARTER 2ND 3RD
Point Guard Jose Calderon Pablo Prigioni Shane Larkin
Shooting Guard J.R. Smith Tim Hardaway Jr. Iman Shumpert
Small Forward Carmelo Anthony Cleanthony Early Travis Outlaw
Power Forward Amar'e Stoudemire Andrea Bargnani Quincy Acy
Center Jason Smith Samuel Dalembert Cole Aldrich
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
8/28/2014  10:29 AM
nixluva wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:I think Phil trades him if he can.

I don't know about that. I have to disagree a little in regard to the make up of the roster. This team is extremely well balanced. In fact it's more balanced than I can remember in recent history. We're deep at every position. I think this is a VERY SOLID roster. In the future we only really need to upgrade at PG, PF and maybe C.
Adding a younger PG to replace Prigs. Replacing STAT or Bargs with a younger 2 way PF. Likely only replacing Dalembert with a younger C. For this season I think we have nice coverage at every position.

New York Knicks
POS STARTER 2ND 3RD
Point Guard Jose Calderon Pablo Prigioni Shane Larkin
Shooting Guard J.R. Smith Tim Hardaway Jr. Iman Shumpert
Small Forward Carmelo Anthony Cleanthony Early Travis Outlaw
Power Forward Amar'e Stoudemire Andrea Bargnani Quincy Acy
Center Jason Smith Samuel Dalembert Cole Aldrich

+1, although I'd start Dalembert over Jason Smith at the 5. You got 4 other shooters starting.
And Shump could see time in the backcourt with JR, since PG is not that important in the Triangle.

Please, everyone stay healthy, don't get hurt!

smackeddog
Member: #883
8/28/2014  2:33 PM
F500ONE wrote:

Shump was out pretty much a whole year

He performed well in the playoffs the year he returned

Had a full offseason to recoup

Came back playing like trash

He had offseason knee surgery last year in the offseason and couldn't work out. Came to camp out of shape.

babyKnicks
Member: #1191
USA
8/29/2014  1:40 AM
Good look at it

Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner

When in Atlanta, coach Mike Woodson was rightly criticized for just running too much “iso Joe” offense for Joe Johnson. In New York it was better, if only because injuries forced him to put Carmelo Anthony at the four (which worked better) but one would not use the word “unpredictable” when describing the Knicks offense.

Now Derek Fisher (as the disciple of Phil Jackson) is bringing the triangle offense to New York. Anthony can fit well in that offense if he moves the ball.

Iman Shumpert is pumped the offense is coming to New York because it will give him something to do, he told ESPNNewYork.com.

“The way it’s set up, you can start three guards, it really doesn’t matter. Everybody’s going to get touches, everybody gets opportunities to cut,” Shumpert said of the triangle offense. “It’s constant action going on. So I think that I’ll be able to capitalize on that and I’ll be able to use my athleticism a lot more than standing in the corner.

“I know this year in the offense I will have a lot more opportunities to cut and get to the basket,” he added. “I just want to work on the strength of my leg. Been working on that and being able to pull up off one or two dribbles [and working] on corner [3-pointers] and open 3s.”

Shumpert has spent this off-season working hard to recovering from surgery on his left knee. He should be good to go full speed when the season starts.

The triangle offense is all about spacing and motion — If being run properly (as Tex Winter envisioned) it has constant ball movement and guys cutting and moving off the ball. In the offense you can lob into the post (think Shaq with the Lakers) or run pick-and-rolls — and you should run in transition — but when those actions happen other actions keep spacing on the floor.

Knicks fans will start to see the offense evolve over the course of the season — your actions in the offense is predicated on how the defense responds to an action, it takes time for all the players to get on the same page, making the same reads. There will be rough patches.

But it’s going to be better for the Knicks long term. We know it can work. It just needs total buy in.

Sounds like Shumpert is in.

Let's go Knicks. That's amare
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
8/29/2014  7:24 AM
Good stuff
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
8/29/2014  7:28 AM
Great, now hit those open shots.
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

8/29/2014  7:37 AM
jrodmc wrote:Great, now hit those open shots.

Amen.

Figured This Was Shump's Problem

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy