[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Tim Hardaway’s Vegas Diary (warning! reading this article may generate positive feelings regarding the Knicks)
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
7/29/2014  11:50 AM
http://nypost.com/2014/07/28/hardaway-i-hope-to-be-among-select-few-who-make-usa-national-team/

Knicks shooting guard Tim Hardaway Jr., coming off his First-Team All-Rookie season, will do a periodic diary from Las Vegas this week as a member of the U.S. Select Team, which is practicing against Team USA in preparation for FIBA’s World Cup tournament.

LAS VEGAS — From summer-league action to USA Basketball, I’ve been fortunate to play a lot of great basketball here in Las Vegas. Right now I’m blessed to be working out with the USA Basketball Select Team.

We started our week of practice on Monday, and the coaching staff wasted little time in getting us to work. Coach Mike Krzyzewski had a quick 10-minute meeting introducing the coaching staff, including Tom Thibodeau and Jim Boeheim, and making sure we knew what we’re here for — to get the national team better and prepared for the FIBA World Cup in late August.

He also reminded us that a lot of guys on the USA National Team started out on the select team, so this is a great opportunity for me to take advantage of.

We got right to it on Monday. The coaches had us in there for two-plus hours and everyone got better. We scrimmaged two 12-minute halves. I guarded many of the guards/wings including Paul George, Steph Curry and James Harden. I also got some action with the ball in my hands, made plays for others, ran the wings — basically what I did during my rookie season for the Knicks — and knocked down open shots.

For me, just having the opportunity to play against the highest-caliber players in the league is the best way to improve my game. You’re going against the best so I’ve got to take advantage of that.

I remember when I got the call that I was invited to USA Basketball’s training camp. I was so excited. I was really at a loss for words.

Not everybody gets this opportunity and, as I’m learning, these guys don’t take it for granted. They’re out here playing as hard as they can to represent our country. Definitely one of my goals as a professional basketball player is to have the opportunity to represent my country at the Olympics, whenever that may be.

Like I said earlier, I’ve played a lot of basketball in Vegas this offseason. I went home for a couple of days after summer league to rest and recharge before returning over the weekend. I think I played really, really well for the Knicks at summer league. Obviously there’s still a lot I can work on, but we have a new coaching staff, system and a new way of playing, so it was a positive step forward for all of us.

Coach Derek Fisher is getting better just like everyone else. It was great that we went 4-1 as a team.

Nobody thought we could do that with a first-year head coach.

Coach Fisher did a great job and Kurt Rambis was great, too, by Fisher’s side. Coach Fisher and Coach Rambis sat down with us and talked about what they want fundamentally and physically. When you factor in that we have Phil Jackson behind us as well, we really do have the best of both worlds.

It was also great to see some of the younger guys like Cleanthony Early and Thanasis Antetokounmpo at summer league. Both of them are great energy guys. Cleanthony’s a legit 6-foot-8 ballplayer who can run the wing, knock down shots and post up. They both did a great job of listening and learning. They want to learn.

Being back at summer league had me already looking forward to the upcoming season. I’m so excited to have Carmelo Anthony come back. Why wouldn’t you be? He’s one of the top players in our league and we’re happy to have him.

A young basketball camper last week in Freeport, Long Island, asked me what I thought of his return. I told the kids: “Thank the Lord he decided to come back. If he had left, I thought he would’ve gone to Chicago, and that had me worried for a little while. That would’ve been rough.”

He told me to get ready to go to work, so that’s what I’m focused on for the rest of the offseason, with this Vegas mini-camp with Team USA by far the highlight.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
7/29/2014  11:54 AM
Love the comments about Fish, Rambis, Early, Thanasis, and Anthony.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
7/29/2014  11:55 AM
Yet another know-nothing idiot heard from:

Being back at summer league had me already looking forward to the upcoming season. I’m so excited to have Carmelo Anthony come back. Why wouldn’t you be? He’s one of the top players in our league and we’re happy to have him.

A young basketball camper last week in Freeport, Long Island, asked me what I thought of his return. I told the kids: “Thank the Lord he decided to come back. If he had left, I thought he would’ve gone to Chicago, and that had me worried for a little while. That would’ve been rough.”

But of course, what would you expect him to say? The truth? Kids these days...

F500ONE
Member: #5844

7/29/2014  12:12 PM
THJR is everything we want Shumpert to be.

A player immersed into team and demonstrating through team-hardwork how to improve himself as a player

Keep it up Timbo soak all of it in and make application.

We need him to create some separation amongst his peers to get to the next level

fishmike
USA
7/29/2014  12:24 PM
F500ONE wrote:THJR is everything we want Shumpert to be.

A player immersed into team and demonstrating through team-hardwork how to improve himself as a player

We need him to create some separation amongst his peers to get to the next level

+1
THjr fits right in. Also kind of cool (talking about culture) that two of our youngs with promising upsides in THjr and Larkin both have dads in pro sports where both great players.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/29/2014  12:52 PM
fishmike wrote:http://nypost.com/2014/07/28/hardaway-i-hope-to-be-among-select-few-who-make-usa-national-team/

Knicks shooting guard Tim Hardaway Jr., coming off his First-Team All-Rookie season, will do a periodic diary from Las Vegas this week as a member of the U.S. Select Team, which is practicing against Team USA in preparation for FIBA’s World Cup tournament.

LAS VEGAS — From summer-league action to USA Basketball, I’ve been fortunate to play a lot of great basketball here in Las Vegas. Right now I’m blessed to be working out with the USA Basketball Select Team.

We started our week of practice on Monday, and the coaching staff wasted little time in getting us to work. Coach Mike Krzyzewski had a quick 10-minute meeting introducing the coaching staff, including Tom Thibodeau and Jim Boeheim, and making sure we knew what we’re here for — to get the national team better and prepared for the FIBA World Cup in late August.

He also reminded us that a lot of guys on the USA National Team started out on the select team, so this is a great opportunity for me to take advantage of.

We got right to it on Monday. The coaches had us in there for two-plus hours and everyone got better. We scrimmaged two 12-minute halves. I guarded many of the guards/wings including Paul George, Steph Curry and James Harden. I also got some action with the ball in my hands, made plays for others, ran the wings — basically what I did during my rookie season for the Knicks — and knocked down open shots.

For me, just having the opportunity to play against the highest-caliber players in the league is the best way to improve my game. You’re going against the best so I’ve got to take advantage of that.

I remember when I got the call that I was invited to USA Basketball’s training camp. I was so excited. I was really at a loss for words.

Not everybody gets this opportunity and, as I’m learning, these guys don’t take it for granted. They’re out here playing as hard as they can to represent our country. Definitely one of my goals as a professional basketball player is to have the opportunity to represent my country at the Olympics, whenever that may be.

Like I said earlier, I’ve played a lot of basketball in Vegas this offseason. I went home for a couple of days after summer league to rest and recharge before returning over the weekend. I think I played really, really well for the Knicks at summer league. Obviously there’s still a lot I can work on, but we have a new coaching staff, system and a new way of playing, so it was a positive step forward for all of us.

Coach Derek Fisher is getting better just like everyone else. It was great that we went 4-1 as a team.

Nobody thought we could do that with a first-year head coach.

Coach Fisher did a great job and Kurt Rambis was great, too, by Fisher’s side. Coach Fisher and Coach Rambis sat down with us and talked about what they want fundamentally and physically. When you factor in that we have Phil Jackson behind us as well, we really do have the best of both worlds.

It was also great to see some of the younger guys like Cleanthony Early and Thanasis Antetokounmpo at summer league. Both of them are great energy guys. Cleanthony’s a legit 6-foot-8 ballplayer who can run the wing, knock down shots and post up. They both did a great job of listening and learning. They want to learn.

He told me to get ready to go to work, so that’s what I’m focused on for the rest of the offseason, with this Vegas mini-camp with Team USA by far the highlight.

Thank the lord???

Can't we just thank Melo himself?

fishmike
USA
7/29/2014  1:31 PM
Nalod Im assuming he did.. the writer just paraphrased
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/29/2014  5:07 PM
fishmike wrote:Nalod Im assuming he did.. the writer just paraphrased

Vmart
Member: #247
USA
7/29/2014  5:11 PM
F500ONE wrote:THJR is everything we want Shumpert to be.

Na man Shump has improved this summer, his rapping skills are getting better and his rap videos too. Don't forget the skills at Xbox.

dk7th
Member: #4228
USA
7/29/2014  6:06 PM
nice piece if a bit fluffy.

lets hope he works hard and honestly on defense, raises his TS% to above 57%, and becomes a better ball sharer in his sophomore season.

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

7/30/2014  8:10 AM
Hardaway is probbaly my favorite knick right now. we finally have a young gun who has a high ceiling as long as he improves on the defensive side. Good article although i think we could have avoided the subtle shot at knick fans in the title
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/30/2014  8:14 AM
StarksEwing1 wrote:Hardaway is probbaly my favorite knick right now. we finally have a young gun who has a high ceiling as long as he improves on the defensive side. Good article although i think we could have avoided the subtle shot at knick fans in the title

Agreed on all counts
Cartman718
Member: #1694

7/30/2014  8:25 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:Hardaway is probbaly my favorite knick right now. we finally have a young gun who has a high ceiling as long as he improves on the defensive side. Good article although i think we could have avoided the subtle shot at knick fans in the title

Agreed on all counts

lol @ could have avoided. come on son. now you know there's enough negativity on this forum about the knicks and zero faith from those negative posters. i love the title actually... it's funny. coming to THJ... lol @ his statement "It was also great to see some of the younger guys like Cleanthony Early and Thanasis Antetokounmpo at summer league". Him and Assassin-Thannasis are basically the same age and Cleanthony is actually older than him. :)

This is the part that rings true for me...
Coach Derek Fisher is getting better just like everyone else. It was great that we went 4-1 as a team. Nobody thought we could do that with a first-year head coach.

If anything, Fisher is proving to be the anti-Woodson. He apparently has what most coaches dream of... the ability to motivate players at the pro level (not that they should need any).

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

7/30/2014  8:44 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/30/2014  8:44 AM
Cartman718 wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Agreed on all counts

lol @ could have avoided. come on son. now you know there's enough negativity on this forum about the knicks and zero faith from those negative posters. i love the title actually... it's funny. coming to THJ... lol @ his statement "It was also great to see some of the younger guys like Cleanthony Early and Thanasis Antetokounmpo at summer league". Him and Assassin-Thannasis are basically the same age and Cleanthony is actually older than him. :)

Coach Derek Fisher is getting better just like everyone else. It was great that we went 4-1 as a team. Nobody thought we could do that with a first-year head coach.

If anything, Fisher is proving to be the anti-Woodson. He apparently has what most coaches dream of... the ability to motivate players at the pro level (not that they should need any).

First off the so called negativity is exaggerated IMO. I think Knick fans are the most positive fans out there considering the past 15 years havent been great to us. However im happy that Phil is here because so far he is making a point to build something long lasting and also use youth and not go after aging players and bloated contracts
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/30/2014  8:56 AM
Cartman718 wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Agreed on all counts

Son? Seriously? That's how you address people here?
F500ONE
Member: #5844

7/30/2014  9:01 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Agreed on all counts

Son? Seriously? That's how you address people here?

Assassin-Thannasis?

fishmike
USA
7/30/2014  9:11 AM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Agreed on all counts

First off the so called negativity is exaggerated IMO. I think Knick fans are the most positive fans out there considering the past 15 years havent been great to us. However im happy that Phil is here because so far he is making a point to build something long lasting and also use youth and not go after aging players and bloated contracts
Are you just asking for an 8 page dissertation on the decay of the moral fabric of Knickland spurred and doubled and perpetuated by the toxic Melo trade and then resigning?

Timmy is a nice prospect. I dont see the ceiling you do, but his ability to shoot can surely impact a game and I root like hell for him to blow up. I would love nothing more than to laugh about how wrong I was and how you nailed his upside. I do feel like *one* of these guys will blow up. Be it Larkin, Early or THjr... each has their issues but as a group I like the chance of them all being rotation guys and one potentially seeing an all star game or two. THjr prob has the best shot at that.

Fisher is proving to be the anti-Woodson. He apparently has what most coaches dream of... the ability to motivate players at the pro level (not that they should need any).
Thats his reputation, and he has it with guys like Durant and Kobe. If it translates in his coaching role the Knicks will be very very lucky. Also he's had to lead by voice as a player, because he's not a guy that can lead on the floor, he's just not that caliber player. Fingers crossed but the players young and old are gushing and thats damn nice to read in the middle of summer
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
7/30/2014  9:56 AM
Cartman718 wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Agreed on all counts

Also, Fisher was going to games to scout the next opponent. How great is that? During tge dark days the Knicks had several years where they didnt even use advance scouts.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
7/30/2014  10:18 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Agreed on all counts

Also, Fisher was going to games to scout the next opponent. How great is that? During tge dark days the Knicks had several years where they didnt even use advance scouts.

That explains the complete lack of preparation for opponents from all the previous coaching staffs. And it showed on the court! Amazing how a "prestigious" organization like The New York Knicks could operate in such an amateur manner

jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
7/30/2014  12:49 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/30/2014  12:50 PM
fishmike wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Agreed on all counts

Are you just asking for an 8 page dissertation on the decay of the moral fabric of Knickland spurred and doubled and perpetuated by the toxic Melo trade and then resigning?

Don't forget the neverending whining about 40 years in the wastelands, with penny to penny comparisons to SanTone, Indy, Denver, OKC, etc, etc,

fishmike wrote:
Timmy is a nice prospect. I dont see the ceiling you do, but his ability to shoot can surely impact a game and I root like hell for him to blow up. I would love nothing more than to laugh about how wrong I was and how you nailed his upside. I do feel like *one* of these guys will blow up. Be it Larkin, Early or THjr... each has their issues but as a group I like the chance of them all being rotation guys and one potentially seeing an all star game or two. THjr prob has the best shot at that.

StarksEwing wrote:Fisher is proving to be the anti-Woodson. He apparently has what most coaches dream of... the ability to motivate players at the pro level (not that they should need any).

Thats his reputation, and he has it with guys like Durant and Kobe. If it translates in his coaching role the Knicks will be very very lucky. Also he's had to lead by voice as a player, because he's not a guy that can lead on the floor, he's just not that caliber player. Fingers crossed but the players young and old are gushing and thats damn nice to read in the middle of summer

I have positive Knick feelings. Incredible, I know! Even the Lord approves of THJr!

Tim Hardaway’s Vegas Diary (warning! reading this article may generate positive feelings regarding the Knicks)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy