[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

we have a 50 win team on our hands this year, i'm good at feeling these things out
Author Thread
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
7/30/2014  9:49 AM
gunsnewing wrote:
Nalod wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:I can accept bringing Melo back. I understand Phil and Dolan playing it safe keeping Melo around. Selling tickets, merch and making the playoffs over drafting and developing stars.

I still hate Melo. Don't like how he goes about his business and seems to think we are idiots and how he talks out of both sides of his mouth. That will never change for me.

The Knicks have brought me nothing but misery for 15yrs. What's another 5-10yrs?

54 win team was a lot of fun. They exceeded expectation and the way they played at seasons end there was little to expect beyond a 1st round play.

NBA players say what you want to hear. Thats on you as to how you want to digest it.

We have yet to hear Amare's prognostications for the upcoming season.

From Ewings "guarantee's" to Amare's enthusiasm. Its lots of talk.

And what about twice putting his personal interests ahead of the team?
"Melo kinda did what we asked of him"
"I would sign with the Nets"

"Jeremy Lin's contract is ridiculous"
"It wasn't about the money"
"I'm going to test free agency"

missing anything?

Jeremy Lin? If you watched the summer league game where Melo was asked about lin's contract offer and heard the his response in context I don't think you would have an issue with it. Also, having to trade a first round pick, a second round pick and some reports say morey agreed to pay the poison pill portion of the contract is pretty ridiculous to move a guy on a one year deal.

Not sure with the CBA that there is anyway Morey can give the lakers the balloon portion of the payment.

I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
AUTOADVERT
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/30/2014  9:54 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:
Nalod wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:I can accept bringing Melo back. I understand Phil and Dolan playing it safe keeping Melo around. Selling tickets, merch and making the playoffs over drafting and developing stars.

I still hate Melo. Don't like how he goes about his business and seems to think we are idiots and how he talks out of both sides of his mouth. That will never change for me.

The Knicks have brought me nothing but misery for 15yrs. What's another 5-10yrs?

54 win team was a lot of fun. They exceeded expectation and the way they played at seasons end there was little to expect beyond a 1st round play.

NBA players say what you want to hear. Thats on you as to how you want to digest it.

missing anything?

Jeremy Lin? If you watched the summer league game where Melo was asked about lin's contract offer and heard the his response in context I don't think you would have an issue with it. Also, having to trade a first round pick, a second round pick and some reports say morey agreed to pay the poison pill portion of the contract is pretty ridiculous to move a guy on a one year deal.

Not sure with the CBA that there is anyway Morey can give the lakers the balloon portion of the payment.

I don't think you're allowed to pay for a portion of the contract of a player you're trading in the NBA. The closest thing might be offering cash considerations to off-set a cost but even that is limited to just $3 mil (which wouldn't cover much of the poison pill salary).
CrushAlot
USA
7/30/2014  9:58 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:
Nalod wrote:

missing anything?

I don't think you're allowed to pay for a portion of the contract of a player you're trading in the NBA. The closest thing might be offering cash considerations to off-set a cost but even that is limited to just $3 mil (which wouldn't cover much of the poison pill salary).

I know. I asked that question here when I first saw it reported that Morey was going to do it. I believe it was from nbc's basketball coverage. I will see if I can find it and post the link.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
7/30/2014  4:00 PM
knickscity wrote:
nixluva wrote:
knickscity wrote:Having that many players looking to eat actually can hurt a team as they would more likely go against the grain to show how valuable THEY are vs the team.

Meshing is hardly a guarantee, it could implode if the players think like you do.

But this less usage and less minutes thing is senseless at best.

Kobe AND Shaq here highly used and played minutes galores as did Jordan and Pippen.

Nobody on our team is on the level of either of these to provide "breaks" from play time.

melo might need to be ready to play 40 minutes a game.

Now you're just being difficult. You think you have a legit point but you're missing the big picture and highly doubting the skills of Phil Jackson. It just doesn't seem necessary to have Melo burn himself out. Now it's possible if Melo is finding it really easy to score and he's not having to exert himself too much. Last year Melo had to do too much IMO. No one was scoring!!! It's not just about how many minutes your on the floor, which was what I was getting at with the Usage Rate comment. If Melo learns how to use the system to the benefit of not just himself but his teammates he'll save energy even if he plays 40 minutes. It's about scoring easy and sharing the load. TEAM BALL!!! More Olympic Melo than ISO Melo.

Phil is the one who said:

"He's had to carry a big load. It's been a tough year for him. But it's been a tough year for everyone. It's not just isolated with him. But I think he feels the weight of it a lot more on himself."

"When Carmelo had to carry the load in scoring, a lot of times on his own back, and other people weren't stepping into helping him carry that load..."

“If we’re still going to sit and rely on Carmelo to do everything and put that load on him, that’s not going to happen,” Jackson said of the Knicks’ chances at immediate success. “Sometimes it means buying into the system and giving yourself into a process.”

That system is, of course, the triangle offense, something the Knicks have even been running during their first couple games at Las Vegas Summer League. It’s practice for Derek Fisher and the coaching staff, and a rehearsal for the players, many of whom will be on the roster once the regular season begins. For the first time in his career, Anthony will adjust to playing within the triangle.

“One of the things about the offensive system is you can’t try to score every time you catch the ball,” Jackson says about Anthony’s ball-dominant culture. “You have to participate and you also have to have guys who are strong enough to know that there’s a whole offense to run.”

It has become such a common topic: Will the Knicks and Melo thrive within the triangle? But really, this isn’t about a “system” or “the triangle” as much as it’s about style.

Anthony has been a ball-dominant player throughout his NBA career. Last season, when he isolated more on a per-play basis than any other qualifying player in the league, per Synergy Sports, was no different. But maybe next year can be.

“He admired San Antonio’s game and how they played, and that’s the way we want to play,” Jackson said of Melo’s prospects on becoming a ball-mover.

We’ve seen Anthony shy away from dribbling and transform into a leading catch-and-shoot player in the past. That is what we call Olympic Carmelo. In the NBA, that style still has a chance to consume Melo’s game, though it doesn’t need to all the time. Anthony’s ability to create on his own remains one of the most valuable assets the Knicks have.

“You need to have that man who can get shots on his own,” Jackson theorizes about NBA offense. “Then, you have a guy that’s a great bailout guy in Carmelo.”

No one in the Eastern Conference can pull off that skill better than Anthony, and coming off one of the best statistical seasons of his career, it’s possible we see a better Melo than we’ve seen before once he fully adjusts to a new system.

Phil is basically saying "Melo wont have to feel the need to shoot every trip down". that is all.

But make no mistake, Phil's star players have ALWAYS been scorers and they score alot, feel free to name one who didnt.... but they also make plays and complete them while they're on the court. This rainbow in the sky thinking that melo will play less minutes and get used less is just pure lack of knowledge of Phil's system.

Watch the Bulls and Lakers when Phil coached them and state what you really think is gonna change with the way the star player is used.

Absoultely nothing. melo will still average around 28 per, play no lees than 36, which honestly would be too low, and his usage is gonna spike up because he'll be scoring AND making plays.

Phil and Fisher will be changing Melo's midset, his game wont be altered much at all.

there is zero evidence that it wouldnt based on Phil's actual history with his stars.

You're mostly arguing with yourself now. It was clear last year that not only did Melo play nearly 40 mins a game but he was carrying too much of the scoring load and still rebounding. I never made this only about the number of minutes played but also how much of the load Melo was carrying. So yes it's entirely possible that Melo could stay on the court just as long as last year but not have to exert himself as much. THAT'S THE F'N POINT!!! He'll be playing within a system rather than ISO. There's a huge difference in minutes played when you are carrying the load versus playing with your teammates and they are getting the ball and scoring a lot too. So yes Melo could play similar minutes but those minutes won't be the same as the minutes he played last year which clearly drained him so much that he had nothing left at the end of games. It was visible to anyone watching. You're stuck on the Minutes thing as if that was my whole point and it wasn't.

Also let's take it easy with this whole "lack of knowledge of Phil's System". I've been around BB a long time now and i'm well aware of the system. If you haven't noticed I like BB strategy and have a good working knowledge of the plays in MDA's system as well as Phil's system. Not many people here actually spent money getting the SSOL playbook just to learn the plays and variations in each set. Don't get cute trying to say I don't now BB. How many games did the Bulls win when Jordan retired the 1st time? 1993-94 They won 55 games with just the role players and Pippen. This is the best example for what I think the Knicks can do with a team of mostly role players, tho not as well cuz this is their 1st year playing this system.

Age	G   GS	MP	FG%	3P%	2P%	FT%	TRB  AST  STL  BLK  PTS
Pippen 28 72 72 38.3 .491 .320 .522 .660 8.7 5.6 2.9 0.8 22.0
Grant 28 70 69 36.7 .524 .000 .528 .596 11.0 3.4 1.1 1.2 15.1
Armstrong 26 82 82 33.8 .476 .444 .481 .855 2.1 3.9 1.0 0.1 14.8
Kukoc 25 75 8 24.1 .431 .271 .462 .743 4.0 3.4 1.1 0.4 10.9
Kerr 28 82 0 24.8 .497 .419 .519 .856 1.6 2.6 0.9 0.0 8.6
Myers 30 82 81 24.8 .455 .276 .465 .701 2.2 3.0 1.0 0.2 7.9
Longley 25 27 17 19.0 .483 .000 .483 .756 5.1 2.3 0.4 0.8 7.6
Williams 25 38 11 16.8 .483 .200 .489 .612 4.8 1.0 0.4 0.6 7.6
Wennington 30 76 0 18.0 .488 .000 .490 .818 4.6 0.9 0.6 0.4 7.1
Cartwright 36 42 41 18.6 .513 .513 .684 .684 3.6 1.4 0.2 0.2 5.6
King 27 31 15 17.3 .398 .000 .402 .679 4.3 1.3 0.6 0.4 5.5

That Bulls team was 14th in offense and 6th in defense. Chances are this Knicks team won't have that same balance. These Knicks don't have the defensive talent they had. Pippen was an all world defender. This team will likely be higher in offense than defense. That Bulls team did better than expected and I think this Knicks team can do that as well. This Knicks team will be even more like Phil's 2002-03 Lakers team in terms of being more offensive than defensive.

2002-03 Lakers
50-32, Finished 2nd in NBA Pacific Division
Off Rtg: 107.2 (4th of 29) ▪ Def Rtg: 104.7 (19th of 29)

If this team can find it's way to around 15th in defense they'll be in good shape IMO.

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
7/30/2014  4:31 PM
Im sorry but WTF? Guns... do you consider Melo top 10? Top 15? Top 20? This is such ass-backwards thinking. Say Melo is top 15. I wont make you name 14 other guys who are better so lets just say for arguments sake I agree.

Well... Melo has been in the league 10 years. Thats 10 drafts. So your plan would be to let him walk (assuming to ensure highest quality picks). Well.. if the last 10 drafts have only yielded 14 guys better than Melo what do you put the Knicks chances at for getting not one (because MElo alone is useless) but 2-3 guys? There is no logic or basis in reality for it.

Have you noticed the trend after the Melo trade? 3 straight years they got better. 3 straight years of playoffs after a dry decade. Yes... its makes no sense why Dolan and Phil would want to keep him around.

I get you dont like him or his game or whatever... but your whining. Its about the Knicks. If you want to love players go do fantasy and buy a Lebron jersey. Melo has made the Knicks better. Not enough, I get it. Now Phil is here to make the Knicks MUCH better.

You havent listed a single dislike about Melo that cant be applied to about 85% of high level pro athletes.

This is not a we have Melo so this is great situation. He's a piece. $25mm plus in cap space next year, and a first rounder. The new GM is all about getting younger also, and using the draft. Yet July is ending and your still crying about a pro-athlete's contract and you had to know he was going to get paid. Dereck Rose gushing over him today... Dal/LAL/Chi/Hou all offerred him everything they could.

All the good going on with this team and your turning into a tfk mini-me. Sorry, thats a terribly mean thing to say but your getting close to needing an intervention

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
7/30/2014  5:01 PM
Better hope some of those draft picks pan out because we won't have the cap space to build a contender. We can't go out and sign Marc Gasol and Stephen Curry for example. So better hope we draft them. I'd have no problem if Melo took less to get both those guys here. No interest in josh smith and Brandon Jennings
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
7/30/2014  5:36 PM
fishmike wrote:
Im sorry but WTF? Guns... do you consider Melo top 10? Top 15? Top 20? This is such ass-backwards thinking. Say Melo is top 15. I wont make you name 14 other guys who are better so lets just say for arguments sake I agree.

Well... Melo has been in the league 10 years. Thats 10 drafts. So your plan would be to let him walk (assuming to ensure highest quality picks). Well.. if the last 10 drafts have only yielded 14 guys better than Melo what do you put the Knicks chances at for getting not one (because MElo alone is useless) but 2-3 guys? There is no logic or basis in reality for it.

Have you noticed the trend after the Melo trade? 3 straight years they got better. 3 straight years of playoffs after a dry decade. Yes... its makes no sense why Dolan and Phil would want to keep him around.

I get you dont like him or his game or whatever... but your whining. Its about the Knicks. If you want to love players go do fantasy and buy a Lebron jersey. Melo has made the Knicks better. Not enough, I get it. Now Phil is here to make the Knicks MUCH better.

You havent listed a single dislike about Melo that cant be applied to about 85% of high level pro athletes.

This is not a we have Melo so this is great situation. He's a piece. $25mm plus in cap space next year, and a first rounder. The new GM is all about getting younger also, and using the draft. Yet July is ending and your still crying about a pro-athlete's contract and you had to know he was going to get paid. Dereck Rose gushing over him today... Dal/LAL/Chi/Hou all offerred him everything they could.

All the good going on with this team and your turning into a tfk mini-me. Sorry, thats a terribly mean thing to say but your getting close to needing an intervention

+1
I believe guns is sticking out more now because the evil twins are quieting down now that Melo's set here for a few more years.

knicks1248
Member: #582
7/30/2014  7:51 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/30/2014  7:52 PM
gunsnewing wrote:Better hope some of those draft picks pan out because we won't have the cap space to build a contender. We can't go out and sign Marc Gasol and Stephen Curry for example. So better hope we draft them. I'd have no problem if Melo took less to get both those guys here. No interest in josh smith and Brandon Jennings

we weren't getting those players if we had 80 Million in cap space, so stop acting like you have been under a rock.

So better hope we draft them.

Well we had a ton of Cap space in 2010 with multiple big name FA's available, that didn't win us any prize player, we had a half a dozen solid draft picks in the last 6 yrs, the lee's, the nates, the ariza, fry, chandler, gallo, hill, you could catch them on an episode of "where are they now".

IT has more to do with the culture than the player, you need to recognize what championship teams are made of.

ES
KEEPCAMBYNY
Member: #86
USA
7/30/2014  10:19 PM
dk7th wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
blkexec wrote:The defense will prevent them from winning 50....And there's no way this team will stay healthy.....I think melo will be the first injury bug.....just have a feeling. I hope I'm wrong.

We have the talent and system to win but we are really a player or two away from making noise...The east is deeper than you think....Charlotte, Toronto, Cleveland, Washington, Miami. ...All good teams that could beat us on any givin night. It comes down to defense and health.

Dallas won 50 and almost beat San Antonio in the playoffs with Jose Calderon at PG and Monta Ellis at guard. Dirk is also a weak defender and he was one of only two players over 6-11. We have more size that that team we have comparable athletic ability and energy.

dirk's TS% is elite. in 8 of his 16 seasons he has gotten better than 58%TS. i haven't researched but i would guess that his better TS% seasons were years his team was more successful.

in 9 of his 16 seasons dirk's usage to assist ratio is in the vicinity is 2:1 which is more than respectable.

if carmelo anthony achieves these numbers it will be a very big deal.

i am pessimistic.

What the hell else is new?

I bleed orange and blue for life.
nixluva
USA
7/31/2014  1:06 AM
As of right now, no team in the East has a ready made title contender. This year is wide open and after this year we have the cap space to at least make a legit attempt to put together a title contender. They have to play well this year to prove that this new leadership has the ability to get it done and any FA will see this as a good landing spot. Won't guarantee they get who they go after but the have to do it all the same. There are no guarantees in the Draft or FA. You have to make the most of every option available to you. That's what I see Phil trying to do. That started with Melo. You can't let a player like that just walk if you can help it. Now Phil has a much easier job to do after locking up Melo. Some may hate it but it was the smart play. Phil knows that he needs Melo to make this team really go. Now he has to find a way to put the best team around him that he can. It's no easy task but it's a lot easier already having Melo on board.

You've gotta understand the ego of a guy like Phil. He saw that this team won 54 games not even doing everything right. He's gotta feel he can do better. He won't come out and say it but clearly he took the job thinking he could take the team to a higher level. He's thinking he can get more out of even some of the same players. He's doing his remix of the Knicks and we'll see how that all works out. I like what he's done with limited resources.

smackeddog
Member: #883
7/31/2014  3:15 PM
You know I can rationalize all I want, but no matter what, every year part of me always thinks "This year it's going to be different!"
nixluva
USA
7/31/2014  3:31 PM
smackeddog wrote:You know I can rationalize all I want, but no matter what, every year part of me always thinks "This year it's going to be different!"

Over these last 15 years we haven't had Phil leading the way. If that isn't enough of a difference to make you feel more positive about our chances for change then nothing is gonna effect your attitude. Everything his done so far should start to give you confidence in his decision making.

There are no guarantees, but Phil has made positive changes so far. You've gotta like the change to the Triangle which is a great Team Oriented, Ball and Player movement system. How long have we been crying for a style of play like that? His player moves have been solid so far. Given the limits he has I think he's made good choices. Can't wait to see what else he's gonna do this year.

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
7/31/2014  3:45 PM
smackeddog wrote:You know I can rationalize all I want, but no matter what, every year part of me always thinks "This year it's going to be different!"
yea but some years you just know. When was the last time we had a coach and GM and owner all on the same page? Never even close... it will be a very good year. Looking forward
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
smackeddog
7/31/2014  4:19 PM
fishmike wrote:
yea but some years you just know. When was the last time we had a coach and GM and owner all on the same page? Never even close... it will be a very good year. Looking forward

Hope so! Can't wait for the season to get started- the east should be a lot more exciting this year, and I'm looking forward to seeing what we can do.

smackeddog
7/31/2014  4:21 PM
nixluva wrote:

Over these last 15 years we haven't had Phil leading the way. If that isn't enough of a difference to make you feel more positive about our chances for change then nothing is gonna effect your attitude. Everything his done so far should start to give you confidence in his decision making.

There are no guarantees, but Phil has made positive changes so far. You've gotta like the change to the Triangle which is a great Team Oriented, Ball and Player movement system. How long have we been crying for a style of play like that? His player moves have been solid so far. Given the limits he has I think he's made good choices. Can't wait to see what else he's gonna do this year.

I've liked all of Phil's moves so far- not just player wise, but the culture he's trying to establish. Refreshing honesty with fans and the media instead of secrecy and contempt.

Anji
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #1122
USA
7/31/2014  7:49 PM
Lol, everytime I come back Guns has fallen deeper into his hysteria....anybody going to check him on the "Melo kinda did what we asked of him" quote which is attributable to no one??? Guns you know that is what a Forum member said not Phil Right??? Or does it even matter at this point???
"Really, all Americans want is a cold beer, warm p***y, and some place to s**t with a door on it." - Mr. Ford
Anji
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #1122
USA
7/31/2014  7:53 PM
Whoops, my bad, that quote actually happened.
"Really, all Americans want is a cold beer, warm p***y, and some place to s**t with a door on it." - Mr. Ford
nixluva
USA
7/31/2014  8:21 PM
There seems to be this misconception on the part of some media and some fans that Melo really screwed us with his contract. To be honest there was really never going to be a situation where we added 2 max players. One Max is about the most realistic option and even then who exactly are we talking about? As it is the Knicks could have enough money to offer a max to Marc Gasol with the contract Melo signed.

The only way that Melo could have given a significant amount more would be if he left about $22 mil on the table and took a $101,891,629.62 contract. Even then it's not enough to get you much. The $124mil contract leaves us about $20 mil of space and the $101 mil contract would leave about $24.5 mil of space. That extra $4.5 mil isn't going to be the difference between a title team or not. People need to really take a chill on bashing Melo over his contract.

It's more important to focus on developing our young talent. Getting the most out of the players we have and establishing a winning culture or team 1st BB. Once we go thru this season we can better judge just what this team will need to get to the next level and contend. It's important to see how this plays out. SO GROW UP PEOPLE!!!

CrushAlot
USA
7/31/2014  9:32 PM
nixluva wrote:There seems to be this misconception on the part of some media and some fans that Melo really screwed us with his contract. To be honest there was really never going to be a situation where we added 2 max players. One Max is about the most realistic option and even then who exactly are we talking about? As it is the Knicks could have enough money to offer a max to Marc Gasol with the contract Melo signed.

The only way that Melo could have given a significant amount more would be if he left about $22 mil on the table and took a $101,891,629.62 contract. Even then it's not enough to get you much. The $124mil contract leaves us about $20 mil of space and the $101 mil contract would leave about $24.5 mil of space. That extra $4.5 mil isn't going to be the difference between a title team or not. People need to really take a chill on bashing Melo over his contract.

It's more important to focus on developing our young talent. Getting the most out of the players we have and establishing a winning culture or team 1st BB. Once we go thru this season we can better judge just what this team will need to get to the next level and contend. It's important to see how this plays out. SO GROW UP PEOPLE!!!

Great post. Thanks for crunching the numbers.
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
7/31/2014  10:54 PM
Anji wrote:Whoops, my bad, that quote actually happened.

Yea it did, but for some reason they seem to purposely alter the quote around to make it say "Melo kind of did exactly what we wanted" when Phil actually stated "Melo did exactly what we kind of wanted him to do".

Don't know why they seem to continually alter the actual quote. Nah I'm lying I know exactly why they kind of alter the quote.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
we have a 50 win team on our hands this year, i'm good at feeling these things out

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy