[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

we have a 50 win team on our hands this year, i'm good at feeling these things out
Author Thread
meloshouldgo
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5801

7/24/2014  6:00 PM
fishmike wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
nixluva wrote:People just don't get that efficient offensive teams can win too. The trick is to play just enough defense and ball out on offense. One of Phil's Laker teams did this. The 2000-01 finals team was great offensively but was 23rd in Pts allowed and 21st in defensive rating. They were #2 in offensive rating. It's not how you want to do things but it has been done. Not every great defensive team wins the title. It's more complex than that. Gotta hope they can scheme a defense like the Mavs did. Find a way to hide the weak links on D.

Sorry but how do you find a way to hide anywhere between 3-4 out of the 5 players on the court? Melo (on most days), Amare, Bargs, Calderon, THJR, JR( when he is clubbing) and Shumpert when he had confidence issues.

ask Dallas... they won 50 games with Monta and Calderon starting in the backcourt and Dirk at PF, three NBA turnstiles if there ever were any. Marion is a great defender and Dalembert is here now. Vince Carter was the #1 guy off the bench. Thats a horrible defensive team. Horrible... but they won 50 and took the Spurs to 7. Somehow when players come to the Knicks only the bad part of their games surface and fans seem to flush the good.

One other thing. This rookie coach has a great staff and the full 100% backing of Phil Jackson. That and you have a bunch of guys in walk years. People act like this is going to be a mail it in year. Take a closer look....

They also had more firepower on offense. We have ME lo and THJR.
Amare and Bargs are good but I need to see what they can actually being before I count them.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
AUTOADVERT
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
7/24/2014  6:10 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:
fishmike wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
nixluva wrote:People just don't get that efficient offensive teams can win too. The trick is to play just enough defense and ball out on offense. One of Phil's Laker teams did this. The 2000-01 finals team was great offensively but was 23rd in Pts allowed and 21st in defensive rating. They were #2 in offensive rating. It's not how you want to do things but it has been done. Not every great defensive team wins the title. It's more complex than that. Gotta hope they can scheme a defense like the Mavs did. Find a way to hide the weak links on D.

Sorry but how do you find a way to hide anywhere between 3-4 out of the 5 players on the court? Melo (on most days), Amare, Bargs, Calderon, THJR, JR( when he is clubbing) and Shumpert when he had confidence issues.

ask Dallas... they won 50 games with Monta and Calderon starting in the backcourt and Dirk at PF, three NBA turnstiles if there ever were any. Marion is a great defender and Dalembert is here now. Vince Carter was the #1 guy off the bench. Thats a horrible defensive team. Horrible... but they won 50 and took the Spurs to 7. Somehow when players come to the Knicks only the bad part of their games surface and fans seem to flush the good.

One other thing. This rookie coach has a great staff and the full 100% backing of Phil Jackson. That and you have a bunch of guys in walk years. People act like this is going to be a mail it in year. Take a closer look....

Amare and Bargs are good but I need to see what they can actually being before I count them.

I think JR has a bounce back year. He will be a year removed from surgery so that should help.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
mreinman
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3189

7/24/2014  6:20 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:
fishmike wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:

Come again? Bargs is what?

so here is what phil is thinking ....
dk7th
Member: #4228
USA
7/24/2014  6:20 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
nyvector16 wrote:48 Wins, East Division title, and top 4 seeding in playoffs.

Nets are DONE
Celtics are in rebuild and Rondo is still an unknown after his surgery
Raptors will make playoffs but will be closer to 44 wins...
Lowry played his ass off on that contract year and will fall back down to earth.

Excellent points. I am going to up the win total to 51. I think the Knicks are going to go on a 90's like run where they have sustained success that this time hopefully ends up with a title in ny.

51 wins is unrealistic.

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
mreinman

7/24/2014  6:22 PM
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Nets are DONE
Lowry played his ass off on that contract year and will fall back down to earth.

Excellent points. I am going to up the win total to 51. I think the Knicks are going to go on a 90's like run where they have sustained success that this time hopefully ends up with a title in ny.

51 wins is unrealistic.

dk - all business all the time? Can't you crack a joke? Use sarcasm (humorous kind)? Or even a smiley face?

dk7th
Member: #4228
USA
7/24/2014  6:30 PM
mreinman wrote:
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Nets are DONE

51 wins is unrealistic.

dk - all business all the time? Can't you crack a joke? Use sarcasm (humorous kind)? Or even a smiley face?

a skeleton walks into a bar and says to the bartender: "get me a beer... and a mop!"

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
mreinman

7/24/2014  6:33 PM
dk7th wrote:
mreinman wrote:
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Nets are DONE

51 wins is unrealistic.

a skeleton walks into a bar and says to the bartender: "get me a beer... and a mop!"

There ya go!

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
7/24/2014  6:35 PM
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Nets are DONE

51 wins is unrealistic.

I disagree. Can't wait to see how they do.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
7/24/2014  6:47 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/24/2014  6:48 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:
fishmike wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:

The Knicks have PLENTY of firepower but now with a better group at PG that change will make everyone better. Jose, Prigs and Larkin is a much better PG contingent than what we had last year. When Prigs played the offense improved a great deal. Now with Jose the starters should get a nice bump in production over the same player with Felton starting.

Jose   45.6% FG 44.9% 3pt 82.5% FT
Prigs 46.1% FG 46.4% 3pt 91.7% FT

Larkin had poor shooting numbers but I suspect he'll be better than he was in his rookie year after having a setback in breaking his ankle. We didn't have a change of pace PG last year so that should help.

With JR, THJ and Shump playing in the Triangle it should help them to get great looks and slashes to the basket. This could help them to be much more efficient and get to the line more. Melo, STAT and Bargs should get a lot of good looks as well. This puts them all in their sweet spots. Melo should get more open looks than he's used to getting.

alwaysaknick
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #5711

7/25/2014  2:00 AM
50 wins is nice but please do not peak so early.
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
7/25/2014  8:36 AM
meloshouldgo wrote:
fishmike wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:

Dallas was better. No arguement there... but "the Knicks have no chance of winning crowd" follows this predictable pattern: find a weakness on the roster, use that to prove Knicks have no chance. Calderon is a poor defender. No arguement there, but he's better in every way than Felton, and his team won 50 games and took the Spurs to 7. Some would have you believe that its impossible to win with the guy as any opposing PG is going to score 50 and dish 20 dimes.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
nyvector16
Member: #130
USA
7/25/2014  6:51 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/25/2014  6:51 PM
Totally agree fishmike..

Calderon used to light us up for years and when we finally had an answer that one game with Lin, Lin became larger than life.
There is a reason for that.. Calderon is a good Point Guard...

Felton is so substandard, the Mavs went out and hired his old nemesis Jameer Nelson.
The difference in PG play alone will make for at least 6 more wins this year for the Knicks.

babyKnicks
Member: #1191
USA
7/26/2014  9:08 AM
nyvector16 wrote:Totally agree fishmike..

Calderon used to light us up for years and when we finally had an answer that one game with Lin, Lin became larger than life.

Felton is so substandard, the Mavs went out and hired his old nemesis Jameer Nelson.
The difference in PG play alone will make for at least 6 more wins this year for the Knicks.

Considering we were 11 games off the division, that's huge. I think the difference in injuries gives us another 3 games and coaching another 4 games (remember those heartbreaking losses)

Let's go Knicks. That's amare
nixluva
USA
7/26/2014  12:51 PM
babyKnicks wrote:

Considering we were 11 games off the division, that's huge. I think the difference in injuries gives us another 3 games and coaching another 4 games (remember those heartbreaking losses)

I think that's being a bit too conservative. The way Woody had this team playing was so detrimental. Nothing really worked last year. Injury, Slumping, System, lineups and rotations ... It was a total disaster. That drop from 54 wins to 37 was drastic. It took a lot of things going wrong to drop that far with mostly the same core players. Losing Kidd was huge and I think the impact of now having Jose will be huge. Felton solo was such a drop off from having Kidd in there with him. I think having a team oriented system is why some fans are high on the teams chances this year.

nyvector16
USA
7/26/2014  1:31 PM
I know I am in the extreme minority on this, but I don't think it was Kidd that got this team to 54 wins.
In my opinion the 54 wins was a result of using Dantoni's offense, while instituting actual defensive schemes that the team was totally lacking under Pringles...

After that year, the team we put out last year was a whole year removed from Dantoni's coaching and therefore needed actual coaching on offense which Woodson was not ready to handle given his extremely limited coaching skills on offense.

gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
7/26/2014  1:47 PM
nyvector16 wrote:I know I am in the extreme minority on this, but I don't think it was Kidd that got this team to 54 wins.
In my opinion the 54 wins was a result of using Dantoni's offense, while instituting actual defensive schemes that the team was totally lacking under Pringles...

After that year, the team we put out last year was a whole year removed from Dantoni's coaching and therefore needed actual coaching on offense which Woodson was not ready to handle given his extremely limited coaching skills on offense.

You just made nixluva's day.

I think it was a combination of both Kidd and Dantoni.

Woodson was downright awful. It was evident coming out of camp

nyvector16
USA
7/26/2014  1:56 PM
I remember that last quarter of the season and subsequent playoff run 2 years ago, Kidd could not hit a 3 if his life depended on it.
The guy was missing wide open shots and that actually cost us at least another 3 or 4 wins.

If Kidd had been hitting that 3 the way he was earlier in the season we would have swept the Celtics and beat Indiana during that playoff run.

F500ONE
Member: #5844

7/26/2014  2:47 PM
babyKnicks wrote:

Dallas went 41-41 prior to last year Dirk played approx 55gms

Following season lose Mayo-Kaman-Collison-Brand and add Calderon-Dalembert-Ellis-Larkin-Ellington-Harris-Blair with Dirk playing 80gms

They won 49gms thus the difference is 8gms

Interesting outcome

They trade Calderon-Dalembert-Larkin-Ellington to us and we lose Tyson-Felton.

End results prove to be 10-13gms difference in our favor

nixluva
USA
7/26/2014  2:59 PM
gunsnewing wrote:
nyvector16 wrote:I know I am in the extreme minority on this, but I don't think it was Kidd that got this team to 54 wins.

You just made nixluva's day.

I think it was a combination of both Kidd and Dantoni.

Woodson was downright awful. It was evident coming out of camp

Originally I was angry with Melo for how he handled the MDA thing. I think they could easily have won with MDA and Woody on the bench. People don't remember this but the defense wasn't bad when MDA was still here. It was the offense that was struggling that year partly due to Melo's poor play and the lack of a PG. Woody was the beneficiary of using MDA's offense and having Melo finally start playing hard that year as opposed to how he played for MDA. I don't think Melo wanted to play in a PG dominant offense. So they kept the part of the offense that was more about spreading the floor and taking 3's. Some PnR with Felton, but Felton wasn't a threat like Lin was. Melo knew that MDA loved Lin more and that I think is why they let Lin walk more than anything. IMO it's always been about Melo.

Now with Melo having learned how bad it can be playing ISO ball, I think he's more willing to try the Triangle. The difference between the Triangle and MDA's offense is that it's not PG dominant and that still puts Melo at the core of the offense. He will get plenty of touches but at the same time there is still ball and player movement to keep everyone else involve. It's probably the one offense that Melo can play his way and still have everyone else excel. IMO it's the offense he was made to play in. The ball and players keep moving even when he has the ball which is a HUGE difference from what we've been playing. Teams won't be able to just load up on Melo cuz there's too much movement from the rest of our players. This is a perfect offense for Melo.

H1AND1
Member: #5648

7/26/2014  3:53 PM
mreinman wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
fishmike wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:

Come again? Bargs is what?

An inefficient chucker on offense, a 7 footer who can't rebound, and an abomination on defense.

we have a 50 win team on our hands this year, i'm good at feeling these things out

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy