[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Who exactly are we trying to get in 2015?
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
7/22/2014  1:50 PM
F500ONE wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Players who will help the team win and become more appealing to future FAs. It's too optimistic to think this .400 team is going to be appealing to FAs in a year. If someone wants to come here, great, but I don't expect it.

I think lack of availability is more a concern than free agents wanting to come here in a year or two.

It's not an either/or. If this was a desirable roster to join, Love would be pushing to come here rather than go to Ohio. No one picks Ohio over NYC unless they grew up there (Lebron) or the NY team is undesirable.

Or the Cleveland team is already stocked with talent and has Lebron on the roster. Cleveland wasn't on Love's list prior to the Love signing.

exactly. We need to stock a team with talent before we attract worthwhile FAs. Adding Jose Calderon to a .450 team isn't enough.
Bonn... Rockets have Dwight and Harden and PG who defends and distributes. Why didnt they attract any worthwhile FAs?

Has Kevin Love had a winning season in the NBA?

Didn't Ariza sign there and wasn't the only reason Bosh didn't sign because Miami trumped with a 5th yr SMax deal?

right... so lets recap:
Gone:
Lin, Parsons, Asik
In: Ariza, but only because Bosh turned down their $25mm a year to take the same for longer with Miami.

Does that strike you as good in any way shape or form?

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
7/22/2014  1:56 PM
fishmike wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Players who will help the team win and become more appealing to future FAs. It's too optimistic to think this .400 team is going to be appealing to FAs in a year. If someone wants to come here, great, but I don't expect it.

I think lack of availability is more a concern than free agents wanting to come here in a year or two.

It's not an either/or. If this was a desirable roster to join, Love would be pushing to come here rather than go to Ohio. No one picks Ohio over NYC unless they grew up there (Lebron) or the NY team is undesirable.

Or the Cleveland team is already stocked with talent and has Lebron on the roster. Cleveland wasn't on Love's list prior to the Love signing.

exactly. We need to stock a team with talent before we attract worthwhile FAs. Adding Jose Calderon to a .450 team isn't enough.
Bonn... Rockets have Dwight and Harden and PG who defends and distributes. Why didnt they attract any worthwhile FAs?

Didn't Ariza sign there and wasn't the only reason Bosh didn't sign because Miami trumped with a 5th yr SMax deal?

right... so lets recap:
Gone:
Lin, Parsons, Asik
In: Ariza, but only because Bosh turned down their $25mm a year to take the same for longer with Miami.

I think most would agree Houston took a step back this off season - they gambled, and lost big.

I guess maybe they're better for cap flexibility down the line - but not sure what their moves did on that front, though...

F500ONE
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5844

7/22/2014  2:20 PM
fishmike wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

right... so lets recap:
Gone:
Lin, Parsons, Asik

Sure if I ignore

The cap flexibility they acquired by dumping Lin

The Summer League guard play from Nick Johnson[2014 second round draft pick] and signing Troy Daniels cheap, who'll replace Lin

The 2015 pick they acquired from Pelicans in the Asik deal

Were they hoping to sign someone significant this off season, yeah it didn't work but it didn't derail them either.

Rockets will have some flexibility in free agency next year if everything remains the same

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
7/22/2014  2:30 PM
F500ONE wrote:
fishmike wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

right... so lets recap:
Gone:
Lin, Parsons, Asik

Sure if I ignore

The Summer League guard play from Nick Johnson[2014 second round draft pick] and signing Troy Daniels cheap, who'll replace Lin

Were they hoping to sign someone significant this off season, yeah it didn't work but it didn't derail them either.

Rockets will have some flexibility in free agency next year if everything remains the same

dont ignore anything. Morey has had a terrible offseason. You put a cute spin on it but he lost three key guys and added one. Im sorry but a first rounder in the 20s next year and a 2nd rounder who played well in the summer league isnt a sound replacement for quality NBA players on a team looking to break out of first roun elimination. Those are damage control hedge type moves.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
knicks1248
Member: #582
7/22/2014  3:03 PM
fishmike wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
fishmike wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

right... so lets recap:
Gone:
Lin, Parsons, Asik

Sure if I ignore

dont ignore anything. Morey has had a terrible offseason. You put a cute spin on it but he lost three key guys and added one. Im sorry but a first rounder in the 20s next year and a 2nd rounder who played well in the summer league isnt a sound replacement for quality NBA players on a team looking to break out of first roun elimination. Those are damage control hedge type moves.

parsons was better to keep then adding Ariza, who is turnung into a journey player. I though the Melo wearing lins jersey # was the absolute killer, atleast public opinion, that was class less in every form.

ES
F500ONE

7/22/2014  3:21 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/22/2014  3:32 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
fishmike wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

right... so lets recap:
Gone:
Lin, Parsons, Asik

Sure if I ignore

parsons was better to keep then adding Ariza, who is turnung into a journey player. I though the Melo wearing lins jersey # was the absolute killer, atleast public opinion, that was class less in every form.

They did the same with Luis Scola and Patrick Beverly going after Howard and Bosh.

Not what I would've done but not the deal some make it out to be

Ariza is an NBA Champion.

Very pivotal to the Lakers first chip post Shaq era and had huge impact on Wizards continued improvement

The question to ask,///// do you want Parsons at $15mil or Ariza at $8mil?

If we signed Jefferson he'd be close to journeyman too

franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
7/22/2014  3:31 PM
F500ONE wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
fishmike wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

right... so lets recap:
Gone:
Lin, Parsons, Asik

Sure if I ignore

They did the same with Luis Scola and Patrick Beverly going after Howard and Bosh.

Very pivotal the Lakers chip post Shaq era and had huge impact on Wizards continued improvement

I bolded this just so you could go back and read what you typed. I think maybe you need to add some [hyperbole] tags!

Ariza is a nice player- I was sorry to see him go, but he ain't Robert Horry! I'll take Parson's at $15 vs. Ariza at $3m!

RonRon
Member: #246
7/22/2014  3:46 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/22/2014  3:50 PM
Morey FUCKED up big time this summer, he should have signed all the talent he could within the 3 days before matching Parson's offer
They were built to WIN NOW AND IN THEIR FUTURE, why look to save some money and cherry pick when you won over 50+ games 2 years in a row...
Makes no sense, all the asset's they acquired/trades they make/ ALL STAR's they acquired were all lossed to save some money
They had to go ALL IN NOW

They should have looked to either acquire Lance Stephenson with the remaining 12m in space after Ariza or divide it with 2-3 players for depth
Most importantly keeping Chandler Parsons, he the GLUE to that team

Also, they would still have the 3.3 MLE to go after another FA

knicks1248
7/22/2014  3:55 PM
franco12 wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
fishmike wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

right... so lets recap:
Gone:
Lin, Parsons, Asik

Sure if I ignore

Very pivotal the Lakers chip post Shaq era and had huge impact on Wizards continued improvement

I bolded this just so you could go back and read what you typed. I think maybe you need to add some [hyperbole] tags!

Ariza is a nice player- I was sorry to see him go, but he ain't Robert Horry! I'll take Parson's at $15 vs. Ariza at $3m!

Thank you, I thought it was me..

ES
F500ONE

7/22/2014  4:01 PM
RonRon wrote:Morey FUCKED up big time this summer, he should have signed all the talent he could within the 3 days before matching Parson's offer
They were built to WIN NOW AND IN THEIR FUTURE, why look to save some money and cherry pick when you won over 50+ games 2 years in a row...
Makes no sense, all the asset's they acquired/trades they make/ ALL STAR's they acquired were all lossed to save some money

They should have looked to either acquire Lance Stephenson with the remaining 12m in space after Ariza or divide it with 2-3 players for depth

Morey wants Rondo or someone like Paul Milsap(can't get Love at this point)

He liked Parsons on a near Max deal with a loaded team not without a loaded team

I guess he messed up by letting him out of his deal.

He probably looked at the situation as doing Parsons a huge favor guaranteeing him a large summer contract

Parsons Carlos Boozered Morey but he didn't lose out on total value lost.

Giving up Lin and sending a pick and prospect in the process, was probably more damaging

Lance and Harden would not work.

They won 50gms without Asik for most of the season and up and down point guard play.

Now they have better backcourt depth, depends on how good Mote-Jones-Daniels will be

Howard-Harden-Parsons = Howard-Harden-Ariza

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

7/22/2014  7:59 PM
F500ONE wrote:
RonRon wrote:Morey FUCKED up big time this summer, he should have signed all the talent he could within the 3 days before matching Parson's offer

He liked Parsons on a near Max deal with a loaded team not without a loaded team

He probably looked at the situation as doing Parsons a huge favor guaranteeing him a large summer contract

Giving up Lin and sending a pick and prospect in the process, was probably more damaging

They won 50gms without Asik for most of the season and up and down point guard play.

Now they have better backcourt depth, depends on how good Mote-Jones-Daniels will be

To be fair, I don't think Parsons did anything shady. Morey gambled that he could sign a "star" and he lost. Just like I don't blame Lin for signing his sheet, I can't blame Parsons for signing his. Boozer had an agreement and went against his word. Different situation.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
F500ONE

7/22/2014  8:06 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
F500ONE wrote:

To be fair, I don't think Parsons did anything shady. Morey gambled that he could sign a "star" and he lost. Just like I don't blame Lin for signing his sheet, I can't blame Parsons for signing his. Boozer had an agreement and went against his word. Different situation.

I don't either, but he did say he was offended they were after Melo/Bosh and didn't think he was a Max guy.

I'm like come on Chandler I think you know what Morey was trying to do

End results prove the same as when Boozer was let out of his low salary contract only to sign with Utah

yellowboy90
Member: #3538

7/22/2014  11:41 PM
The difference is Boozer verbally agreed to a contract with Cleveland. This is more similar to the Lin situation.
F500ONE

7/22/2014  11:43 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:The difference is Boozer verbally agreed to a contract with Cleveland. This is more similar to the Lin situation.

I guess///although Lin wasn't let out of a contract like Parsons and Boozer were

knicks1248
7/24/2014  11:30 AM
here's a good look at the next 2 off seasons

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-salaries/nba-free-agents-2015-2016/

ES
F500ONE

7/24/2014  11:32 AM
knicks1248 wrote:here's a good look at the next 2 off seasons

Good link drop, thanks knicks1248

knicks1248
7/24/2014  11:49 AM
F500ONE wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:here's a good look at the next 2 off seasons

Good link drop, thanks knicks1248

np, I think were going to have to make a trade and add salary to really make a splash next off season, there's really no impact player that are out right FA, except rondo..

ES
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
7/24/2014  12:27 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
fishmike wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

right... so lets recap:
Gone:
Lin, Parsons, Asik

Sure if I ignore

I agree. Ariza has become somewhat overrated overall. He is the flavor of the month at the right time. If he were a free agent following some other previous seasons, i doubt he commands more than mid level money.

F500ONE

7/24/2014  2:26 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/24/2014  2:27 PM
Knixkik wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
fishmike wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

right... so lets recap:
Gone:
Lin, Parsons, Asik

Sure if I ignore

I agree. Ariza has become somewhat overrated overall. He is the flavor of the month at the right time. If he were a free agent following some other previous seasons, i doubt he commands more than mid level money.

So if he was a free agent next year he wouldn't get more than MLE money from us//// Yeah right!

He's getting paid about $1.75-2mil more than MLE money now, is it really that big a deal

Parsons is making double what Ariza is making.

I think Parsons is a fine young player but $14.5mil to $7.5mil is a far bigger gap than $7.5mil over $5.3mil

Parson is not double the player Ariza is, especially when the age gap is only 4yrs

Stop splitting hairs on an atom here

If Ariza is a journeyman////we better not think thrice about paying Al Jefferson close to max money if he's all that's out there

Journeyman correct?

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
7/24/2014  2:40 PM
F500ONE wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
fishmike wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

right... so lets recap:
Gone:
Lin, Parsons, Asik

Sure if I ignore

So if he was a free agent next year he wouldn't get more than MLE money from us//// Yeah right!

He's getting paid about $1.75-2mil more than MLE money now, is it really that big a deal

Parsons is making double what Ariza is making.

I think Parsons is a fine young player but $14.5mil to $7.5mil is a far bigger gap than $7.5mil over $5.3mil

Parson is not double the player Ariza is, especially when the age gap is only 4yrs

Stop splitting hairs on an atom here

If Ariza is a journeyman////we better not think thrice about paying Al Jefferson close to max money if he's all that's out there

Journeyman correct?

Ariza is a role player, who has had some good years and bad years. Jefferson is a consistant 20/10 type player. There is no comparison.

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy