[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Who exactly are we trying to get in 2015?
Author Thread
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/22/2014  11:14 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Players who will help the team win and become more appealing to future FAs. It's too optimistic to think this .400 team is going to be appealing to FAs in a year. If someone wants to come here, great, but I don't expect it.

I think lack of availability is more a concern than free agents wanting to come here in a year or two.

It's not an either/or. If this was a desirable roster to join, Love would be pushing to come here rather than go to Ohio. No one picks Ohio over NYC unless they grew up there (Lebron) or the NY team is undesirable.

Agreed but his situation is more ISO than norm.

Most impending free agents don't force their way on to teams

You're also implying upper echelon free agents don't want to come here and play with Melo for Phil(could be right).

The question I then have, why would lesser talented free agents want to do so, not in case Love once again as noted above is an exception and not the rule

I think the point remains, the pool of availability is quite lacking and nothing suggests it puts us in any relevant competitive contention going forward

The only swing for fence future game changer is Durant

Melo should have been S&T for assets and you find the star/talent from within on the cheap

Yeah, I agree with everything you wrote.
Love would probably be a game changer too IMO but I don't expect him to come here.

Seek not the obvoius, but the potential. Then you walk the path less traveled enroute to enlighenment.

We are not able to comprehend the masters vision.

AUTOADVERT
F500ONE
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5844

7/22/2014  11:34 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/22/2014  11:41 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Players who will help the team win and become more appealing to future FAs. It's too optimistic to think this .400 team is going to be appealing to FAs in a year. If someone wants to come here, great, but I don't expect it.

I think lack of availability is more a concern than free agents wanting to come here in a year or two.

It's not an either/or. If this was a desirable roster to join, Love would be pushing to come here rather than go to Ohio. No one picks Ohio over NYC unless they grew up there (Lebron) or the NY team is undesirable.

You're also implying upper echelon free agents don't want to come here and play with Melo for Phil(could be right).

The question I then have, why would lesser talented free agents want to do so, not in case Love once again as noted above is an exception and not the rule

I think the point remains, the pool of availability is quite lacking and nothing suggests it puts us in any relevant competitive contention going forward

Melo should have been S&T for assets and you find the star/talent from within on the cheap

Love would probably be a game changer too IMO but I don't expect him to come here.

The Love effect is quite the quandary.

He and Melo have many similarities and occupy much of the same places on the court at the same position

Defensively, might be about as gross as it gets

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2014/07/19/kevin-love-stephen-curry-usa-teammates/12876193/

Warriors won't pull trigger because of Thompson and Kevin's D.

This says a lot considering Lee doesn't play defense either

arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
7/22/2014  11:48 AM
Defense will be the key.
The current roster can drop buckets.
But who will be able to defend?
In the East you cannot outrun and outscore too many teams to get into playoffs.
Last year was a good example.
I expect Zen to try dumping all no-defense dudes in a hurry. Otherwise it will get ugly pretty fast.
He was trying already but not much luck so far... but he will keep trying.
Melo needs good defensive team around him in first place to be competitive.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
y2zipper
Member: #3287

7/22/2014  11:54 AM
F500ONE wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

He and Melo have many similarities and occupy much of the same places on the court at the same position

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2014/07/19/kevin-love-stephen-curry-usa-teammates/12876193/

It says that the Warriors don't know what they're doing...

F500ONE

7/22/2014  11:59 AM
y2zipper wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

So you would trade Thompson and Lee for a Super Max Love and K-Mart?

Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/22/2014  12:12 PM
F500ONE wrote:
y2zipper wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

What does super max mean? I don't think Love's contract would be anything near Melo's in this scenario.
yellowboy90
Member: #3538

7/22/2014  12:27 PM
Love is not pushing to go to Clevland or GS. He is pushing to get out of Minny though. The reason why Ny is not in the mix because they have nothing to bring to the table unless during the season Hardaway JR becomes a Klay Thompson clone.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/22/2014  12:44 PM
Chemistry......

Thompson keeps defense honest and that helps Curry A LOT!!!

KMart is not as good as thompson. ITs why they are hesitant.

Maybe concern how Love and Bogurt mix.

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
7/22/2014  12:44 PM
How many teams had cap space this yr and targeted certain players only to be rebuffed. I agree with Briggs, let the season play out and see who's available. 2010 is still fresh in my mind.
ES
yellowboy90
Member: #3538

7/22/2014  12:54 PM
Nalod wrote:Chemistry......

Thompson keeps defense honest and that helps Curry A LOT!!!

KMart is not as good as thompson. ITs why they are hesitant.

Maybe concern how Love and Bogurt mix.

Offensively Kmart and Klay T are about the same. It remains to be seen if Klay is a good defensive player but they think he can grow into one.

It is what it is.

F500ONE

7/22/2014  12:56 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/22/2014  12:59 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
y2zipper wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

What does super max mean? I don't think Love's contract would be anything near Melo's in this scenario.

Love is entitled to an extension at a % above his last season or max, whichever is greater.

Love could also opt out to get Super Max since GSW would own his Bird's Rights

He's a 30% of cap Max guy based on yrs in league.

The way I see it, not too big a difference between 30% and 35% but okay not quite quote-unquote Super Max

Any contract that places a player as a Top 10 paid in the league might as well be considered a Super Max deal.

I think Love's new deal could rival what Chris Paul and Chris Bosh got paid, somewhere in between

newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

7/22/2014  12:58 PM
fin89 wrote:Its very clear the cap space in 2015 will be a big part of rebuilding the team, but I am curious who exactly the Knicks are going to target. I definitely see them targeting Marc Gasol, but beyond that I am at a loss. I find it hard Kevin Love won't be traded so he is off the list. I also don't really see Aldridge coming here. That leaves who exactly? What if Gasol goes to another team? We're supposed to at least get a second star to pair with Melo, but I don't know how optimistic I am. Anyone have some insight?

Who's to say it has to be one max player we bring in?? We could bring in two really good players??
F500ONE

7/22/2014  1:03 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/22/2014  1:05 PM
newyorker4ever wrote:
fin89 wrote:Its very clear the cap space in 2015 will be a big part of rebuilding the team, but I am curious who exactly the Knicks are going to target. I definitely see them targeting Marc Gasol, but beyond that I am at a loss. I find it hard Kevin Love won't be traded so he is off the list. I also don't really see Aldridge coming here. That leaves who exactly? What if Gasol goes to another team? We're supposed to at least get a second star to pair with Melo, but I don't know how optimistic I am. Anyone have some insight?

Who's to say it has to be one max player we bring in?? We could bring in two really good players??

Is this a more creative way of saying had we traded Melo, we could bring in 4(possibly 5) really good players?

Like 4-5 guys making $10-12mil/yr with another modest cap increase

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

7/22/2014  1:05 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Or the Cleveland team is already stocked with talent and has Lebron on the roster. Cleveland wasn't on Love's list prior to the Love signing.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

7/22/2014  1:25 PM
F500ONE wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:

Is this a more creative way of saying had we traded Melo, we could bring in 4(possibly 5) really good players?

Like 4-5 guys making $10-12mil/yr with another modest cap increase

Ummmmmmmm no I meant it just how it sounded. We can either sign one max guy to play with Melo or two guys at 10/12 million.
Bonn1997
USA
7/22/2014  1:31 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Or the Cleveland team is already stocked with talent and has Lebron on the roster. Cleveland wasn't on Love's list prior to the Love signing.

exactly. We need to stock a team with talent before we attract worthwhile FAs. Adding Jose Calderon to a .450 team isn't enough.
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
7/22/2014  1:40 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

exactly. We need to stock a team with talent before we attract worthwhile FAs. Adding Jose Calderon to a .450 team isn't enough.
Bonn... Rockets have Dwight and Harden and PG who defends and distributes. Why didnt they attract any worthwhile FAs?

Has Kevin Love had a winning season in the NBA?

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
7/22/2014  1:41 PM
I would be thrilled if Cle maxes out Love and trades Wiggins and filler. Thats a dream for every team in the east
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Bonn1997
USA
7/22/2014  1:44 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/22/2014  1:45 PM
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Bonn... Rockets have Dwight and Harden and PG who defends and distributes. Why didnt they attract any worthwhile FAs?

What's your point? They haven't attracted a THIRD star yet? We barely have one star.
If we put together a team equal to Houston's, we have a clear path to the conference finals every year.
F500ONE

7/22/2014  1:44 PM
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Didn't Ariza sign there and wasn't the only reason Bosh didn't sign because Miami trumped with a 5th yr SMax deal?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy