[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Who exactly are we trying to get in 2015?
Author Thread
fin89
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #4196

7/21/2014  9:52 PM
Its very clear the cap space in 2015 will be a big part of rebuilding the team, but I am curious who exactly the Knicks are going to target. I definitely see them targeting Marc Gasol, but beyond that I am at a loss. I find it hard Kevin Love won't be traded so he is off the list. I also don't really see Aldridge coming here. That leaves who exactly? What if Gasol goes to another team? We're supposed to at least get a second star to pair with Melo, but I don't know how optimistic I am. Anyone have some insight?
AUTOADVERT
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
7/21/2014  10:10 PM
fin89 wrote:Its very clear the cap space in 2015 will be a big part of rebuilding the team, but I am curious who exactly the Knicks are going to target. I definitely see them targeting Marc Gasol, but beyond that I am at a loss. I find it hard Kevin Love won't be traded so he is off the list. I also don't really see Aldridge coming here. That leaves who exactly? What if Gasol goes to another team? We're supposed to at least get a second star to pair with Melo, but I don't know how optimistic I am. Anyone have some insight?

Lets wait and let the next year play out. Having cap space is not just for free agents.

RIP Crushalot😞
yellowboy90
Member: #3538

7/21/2014  10:46 PM
It would be nice if they go after Robin Lopez who was one of the best rim protectors in the game last year. What a story line would that be for the NY writers.
H1AND1
Member: #5648

7/21/2014  11:50 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/21/2014  11:52 PM
As long as management retains flexibility with the non-Melo portion of the cap we needn't worry about who may or may not be available in 2015. Just keep acquiring (and/or not dealing away) picks, cheap talent, young players on rookie deals, old vets on reasonable ones, etc and proceed from there.

Look at how the Rockets did this to snag two stars in Harden/Howard (and forget for a second whether you like those guys or not). They had a decent team, maintained flexibility and used this to their advantage in different ways to swoop in and grab marquee talent when the opportunity presented itself (trading for Harden and having the ability to clear cap space quickly when Howard was getable ie: Having players who can always be dealt or dropped aka the antithesis of the contracts NY historically doles out).

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
7/22/2014  12:01 AM
The good thing is that they get to see how things go this year and determine what they really need. It may not be necessary to go big name hunting. We can't tell just now how things will work and who will be available. It seems like there won't be much in terms of FA's but maybe a trade down the line.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/22/2014  12:51 AM
fin89 wrote:Its very clear the cap space in 2015 will be a big part of rebuilding the team, but I am curious who exactly the Knicks are going to target. I definitely see them targeting Marc Gasol, but beyond that I am at a loss. I find it hard Kevin Love won't be traded so he is off the list. I also don't really see Aldridge coming here. That leaves who exactly? What if Gasol goes to another team? We're supposed to at least get a second star to pair with Melo, but I don't know how optimistic I am. Anyone have some insight?

Patience "Grasshopper".....

remember, players break out and sometimes teams can't afford them. Look at Parsons, Lin and Asik. Not saying them in particular but things happen.

Patience. Why worry about the future when there will be games before hand. Guys will have opt outs in the future. Preparation is paramount.

Jmpasq
Member: #4182

7/22/2014  8:07 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/22/2014  8:08 AM

We dont have to go with max players we can just sign productive 2 way starters that fit the triangle. Why not 2 11 million dollar players. Lets build a balanced roster. Just dont overpay and we will be fine

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
7/22/2014  9:13 AM
My guess, assuming Love and Aldridge are off the market, are M Gasol, Jefferson, and Millsap in that order of preference.
F500ONE
Member: #5844

7/22/2014  9:21 AM
Knixkik wrote:My guess, assuming Love and Aldridge are off the market, are M Gasol, Jefferson, and Millsap in that order of preference.

Are those guys overkill with Melo here?

Big Al more than likely gets extension if Charlotte is competitive

What would Milsap get paid and what positions do he, Melo, and Cleanthony play?

I think Zach Randolph took a paycut so Marc Gasol would be resigned.

Grizzlies also have a ton of cap space

Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/22/2014  9:24 AM

Players who will help the team win and become more appealing to future FAs. It's too optimistic to think this .400 team is going to be appealing to FAs in a year. If someone wants to come here, great, but I don't expect it.
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
7/22/2014  9:25 AM
Jmpasq wrote:

We dont have to go with max players we can just sign productive 2 way starters that fit the triangle. Why not 2 11 million dollar players. Lets build a balanced roster. Just dont overpay and we will be fine

I think this, and lets not spend just to spend like we kinda did with Amar'e in 2010.

Flexibility and assets.

And I think with Melo we have our superstar*. From there, I think we need to add extremely productive & efficient role players. Guys that can do one or two things very well.

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

7/22/2014  9:44 AM
BRIGGS wrote:

Lets wait and let the next year play out. Having cap space is not just for free agents.

I know you have your head in the clouds like me, so who do you think might be made available going forward? I'm racking my brain trying to cracked that code.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
F500ONE

7/22/2014  9:50 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:

Players who will help the team win and become more appealing to future FAs. It's too optimistic to think this .400 team is going to be appealing to FAs in a year. If someone wants to come here, great, but I don't expect it.

I think lack of availability is more a concern than free agents wanting to come here in a year or two.

Bonn1997
USA
7/22/2014  9:57 AM
F500ONE wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

I think lack of availability is more a concern than free agents wanting to come here in a year or two.

It's not an either/or. If this was a desirable roster to join, Love would be pushing to come here rather than go to Ohio. No one picks Ohio over NYC unless they grew up there (Lebron) or the NY team is undesirable.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
7/22/2014  10:24 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

It's not an either/or. If this was a desirable roster to join, Love would be pushing to come here rather than go to Ohio. No one picks Ohio over NYC unless they grew up there (Lebron) or the NY team is undesirable.
so your barometer for the Knicks is if Love wants to come here?
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Bonn1997
USA
7/22/2014  10:37 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/22/2014  10:37 AM
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

No, Love was merely an example.
Bonn1997
USA
7/22/2014  10:39 AM
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

No one good has ever come to a Dolan-run team unless we substantially overpaid. If Phil wants to change that, it's going to take more than one season and the addition of Jose Calderon.
F500ONE

7/22/2014  10:44 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Agreed but his situation is more ISO than norm.

Most impending free agents don't force their way on to teams

You're also implying upper echelon free agents don't want to come here and play with Melo for Phil(could be right).

The question I then have, why would lesser talented free agents want to do so, not in case Love once again as noted above is an exception and not the rule

I think the point remains, the pool of availability is quite lacking and nothing suggests it puts us in any relevant competitive contention going forward

The only swing for fence future game changer is Durant

Melo should have been S&T for assets and you find the star/talent from within on the cheap

Bonn1997
USA
7/22/2014  10:48 AM
F500ONE wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Agreed but his situation is more ISO than norm.

Most impending free agents don't force their way on to teams

You're also implying upper echelon free agents don't want to come here and play with Melo for Phil(could be right).

The question I then have, why would lesser talented free agents want to do so, not in case Love once again as noted above is an exception and not the rule

I think the point remains, the pool of availability is quite lacking and nothing suggests it puts us in any relevant competitive contention going forward

The only swing for fence future game changer is Durant

Melo should have been S&T for assets and you find the star/talent from within on the cheap

Yeah, I agree with everything you wrote.
Love would probably be a game changer too IMO but I don't expect him to come here.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
7/22/2014  11:14 AM
EnySpree wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

I know you have your head in the clouds like me, so who do you think might be made available going forward? I'm racking my brain trying to cracked that code.

enyspree-lets let next year play-out--see who might get better who might be available in trade see our own players performance wehave a 1st round pick--- i have no idea about 2015 other than we need to be patient this year opportunistic and lets see if we can win as is.

RIP Crushalot😞

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy