Begley: Source says Knicks open to dealing Shump, JR, Larking
Author Thread
nixluva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #758
USA
7/21/2014  3:06 PM
fishmike wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:I actually want to see Jr in the post in the triangle. I think hat is underrated part of his game. Fisher needs to take away the ball in his hands at the top of the key. Seriously limit all Iso's and PnR ball handling and increase off the ball activities and post ups would be nice.
of all the guys who underperformed or have upside I think JRs is the highest. He's also shown he can play high quality ball for extended periods of time. He needs strong leadership. Hopefully that is something the Phil/Fisher regime can bring.

I'm positive that Fish and Phil can get JR playing at a high level. As he learns the philosophy of the Triangle and realizes how it makes his job even easier I think he'll love it and buy in completely. It's a fun style of BB since on most possessions the ball touches all the players hands and all the players are involved in each set. JR really is a very talented player who I think has not yet realized his full potential. If Fish and Phil can get that out of him we'll have a really good player on our hands.

AUTOADVERT
yellowboy90
Member: #3538

7/21/2014  3:08 PM
fishmike wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:I actually want to see Jr in the post in the triangle. I think hat is underrated part of his game. Fisher needs to take away the ball in his hands at the top of the key. Seriously limit all Iso's and PnR ball handling and increase off the ball activities and post ups would be nice.
of all the guys who underperformed or have upside I think JRs is the highest. He's also shown he can play high quality ball for extended periods of time. He needs strong leadership. Hopefully that is something the Phil/Fisher regime can bring.

He needs something. He needs to put in the work in the off-season. Hopefully he is doing that. JR is known for saying the right things in the off-season only to fall into the same habits. I do think he is comfortable playing in structured system but the coaches have to do the things to keep him from being bad jr on the court by not giving him as big of a role.
If he is traded then fine but if they keep him just take him away from being the focal point off the bench. Let him fit in as a cog.

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
7/21/2014  3:10 PM
F500ONE wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
smackeddog wrote:The reason Shump hasn't improved may because he tore his ACL and hasn't had a summer to work on his game some he entered the league- ridiculous to give up on him this early, especially as he showed an improved 3pt shot in his second year.

Like last summer when he was asked to play point in SL to see if it could help expand his game/the team and he aborted this mission as soon as possible?

Started over half the season last year, like a baby who pooped the diaper

Where has he been this summer?

This is exactly what I'm referring to by overrating////in a round about way making excuses as if this guy is on the cusp of something spectacular

I was disappointed he didn't do more work with the summer league team. I remember hearing reports that he had to have his knee scoped prior to training camp. Did that have anything to do with his not playing there. It seems like if it did the Knicks would have made that public to take the heat off of him.

Why was Dolan upset at him and if he got his knee scoped why was he handed the starting position without any flack?

Who knows

I'm not going to begin to insert hypothetical what ifs, maybe it was because, the system was holding him back etc etc

He's been given all the opportunity in the world to prove his worth and he hasn't.

Sometimes players are what they are/////not as good as you think they are, are going to be, or what you thought they were.

We can't have 5 guards on this team competing for time, while maximizing their value

The fact we're looking into guys like Jones and even Artest says a lot about what the internal thoughts may be about our wing players.

Stephen A. was the only person to report Dolan was upset, and if he was so upset how come he didn't dump him on the rapts when they wanted him, ohhhhh!!!! the precious draft pick they wanted to include in the deal. what about when the Suns wanted him.

I think it's safe to say, they are seeing enough good things in practice, and pretty much feel he can get better. They have had plenty of offers for shump and THJ, but none for JR.

Also, he's better to have on the roster then wellington, shannon, prigs. I can see THJ getting toRch every night by the most AVG sg, AND HE DOESNT EVEN HAVE A PRAYER GUARDING SF.

ES
smackeddog
Member: #883
7/21/2014  3:19 PM
Couldn't we solve the over kill at SG and lack of depth at SF by playing Shump, JR and Tim JR at SF for a portion of each game? Not ideal, but I don't see any SF upgrades out there.
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

7/21/2014  3:23 PM
smackeddog wrote:Couldn't we solve the over kill at SG and lack of depth at SF by playing Shump, JR and Tim JR at SF for a portion of each game? Not ideal, but I don't see any SF upgrades out there.

I'd consider it if Spree and H20 were on the roster

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
smackeddog
Member: #883
7/21/2014  3:54 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:
smackeddog wrote:Couldn't we solve the over kill at SG and lack of depth at SF by playing Shump, JR and Tim JR at SF for a portion of each game? Not ideal, but I don't see any SF upgrades out there.

I'd consider it if Spree and H20 were on the roster

Good times!

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
7/21/2014  4:15 PM
JR is actually nearly 6-7 and he's strong. He can most certainly play SF. I don't think it matters much in the Triangle. PG's aren't really PG's in the Triangle and the same goes for SG and SF. You just have players who post and others who play on the perimeter. I actually don't think it's a good idea to give up on JR. He's a knucklehead, but I don't think he'll act up with Fish and Phil here. They'll both be getting on him about his decision making.
F500ONE
Member: #5844

7/21/2014  4:32 PM
nixluva wrote:JR is actually nearly 6-7 and he's strong. He can most certainly play SF. I don't think it matters much in the Triangle. PG's aren't really PG's in the Triangle and the same goes for SG and SF. You just have players who post and others who play on the perimeter. I actually don't think it's a good idea to give up on JR. He's a knucklehead, but I don't think he'll act up with Fish and Phil here. They'll both be getting on him about his decision making.

So the team should trade/cut which players below with Anthony, Smith, & Calderon logging most of the minutes?

Larkin
Shumpert
Hardaway
Prigoni
Ellington
CleAnthony
Brown

NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
7/21/2014  4:35 PM
nixluva wrote:JR is actually nearly 6-7 and he's strong. He can most certainly play SF. I don't think it matters much in the Triangle. PG's aren't really PG's in the Triangle and the same goes for SG and SF. You just have players who post and others who play on the perimeter. I actually don't think it's a good idea to give up on JR. He's a knucklehead, but I don't think he'll act up with Fish and Phil here. They'll both be getting on him about his decision making.

Do you think George Karl was a good coach and commanded respect? Didn't he also get coached by Paul Silas, Tim Floyd and Byron Scott? He did not behave with those coaches. I don't think he will behave with Fisher or Phil.

knicks1248
7/21/2014  4:53 PM
NYKBocker wrote:

Do you think George Karl was a good coach and commanded respect? Didn't he also get coached by Paul Silas, Tim Floyd and Byron Scott? He did not behave with those coaches. I don't think he will behave with Fisher or Phil.

Byron scott has been fired 3 times, I'm not even sure Tim Floyd is in the country. and karl got fired after a 57 win season..very poor example.

ES
TPercy
Member: #5748

7/21/2014  5:13 PM
VCoug wrote:I don't understand this:

Tim Hardaway Jr. has been deemed virtually untouchable, per a source.

THJr had a decent rookie year but nothing to really celebrate. He showed a decent touch on wide open 3s, and he was much better than Shumpert, and that he's good in transition. In literally every other aspect of the game he ranges from bad to godawful. Unless he develops an ability to pass the ball effectively and/or improves his defense from non-existent to bad I don't think he has much of a future. If anything, we should be looking to move him because his value is likely never to be higher.

Are you serious? So what you are saying is that Since he can only shoot the ball and is terrible at everything else..we should trade him because he will never get better. He's still quite young for crying out loud, he has plenty of time to mold his other aspects of his game. Not everyone is perfect.
The Future is Bright!
yellowboy90

7/21/2014  5:16 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:

Byron scott has been fired 3 times, I'm not even sure Tim Floyd is in the country. and karl got fired after a 57 win season..very poor example.

I don't think he was coached by Silas or Floyed Just Scott,Karl, and the knicks coaches. Also, under Karl he had about 4/5 season he was an efficient scorer.

Rookie
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #2274

7/21/2014  5:28 PM
I think everyone is missing the point here. We need a PF. There really aren't any good options left on the FA market, not that we have much to spend, except for maybe Kmart. Whats left is exploring a deal for a PF using the glut of guards that we have to obtain one and balance the roster. If Shump and JR aren't part of the future, they are expendable and should be used to fill a need.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
7/21/2014  5:56 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/21/2014  6:03 PM
We need a PF who can rebound like a madman. We still need a PG if not Larkin.

And we might still need a Center if we don't get a rugged Young PF who can give us 30+ mins

knicks1248
7/21/2014  6:19 PM
gunsnewing wrote:We need a PF who can rebound like a madman. We still need a PG if not Larkin.

And we might still need a Center if we don't get a rugged Young PF

Your absolutely right, but I think that has to be a mid season trade. I believe kenneth Faried will be a FA next season, and there were some small talk last season about a shump package for him.

I can see something like that happening. Denver has a lot of big's, we have a lot of guards. I think shump and Faried came out in the same damn draft, shum at 17 and faried at 22. If shump played up to his potential, this would be a very good trade for both teams, almost even in salary too.

Knicks: Shump, Bargiani, 2017 pick, Wellinginton

Denver: Faried, Gallo

ES
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
7/21/2014  7:17 PM
gunsnewing wrote:We need a PF who can rebound like a madman. We still need a PG if not Larkin.

And we might still need a Center if we don't get a rugged Young PF who can give us 30+ mins

I don't see the Knicks getting that guy this year. Smith, Dalembert, Amare, Bargs, Aldrich, and Tyler are the front line. Maybe Jax makes a small deal that turns out really good or maybe he signs a free agent to league mini deal and that works out really well.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

7/21/2014  7:39 PM
We need guys playing their natural positions.... There's a stupid article it there that Chris Herring retweeted saying we don't have a guard glut and Melo is a 4....

If people really believe we can win championships with Melo at the 4 and shooting guards playing forwards then they deserve a team that loses every damn year.

You can't make Melo the enforcer with nobody inside to help him. You can't force shooting gusts to go in the paint and fight 7fters for rebounds.

Stretch 4 and corner 3 my ass.... You still have to win the toughness match and when you play like this short handed every game than you will get manhandled every single night, especially in the playoffs.

We need guys in here that play the position we need them to play to maximize their effort. Not force them to hate coming to work because they are asking shooting guards to fight big men for rebounds.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
7/21/2014  7:42 PM
We finally agree. Melo at the 4 will finish off his shoulders. Phil is not going small ball
Papabear
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1414

7/21/2014  8:51 PM
nixluva wrote:
fishmike wrote:

I'm positive that Fish and Phil can get JR playing at a high level. As he learns the philosophy of the Triangle and realizes how it makes his job even easier I think he'll love it and buy in completely. It's a fun style of BB since on most possessions the ball touches all the players hands and all the players are involved in each set. JR really is a very talented player who I think has not yet realized his full potential. If Fish and Phil can get that out of him we'll have a really good player on our hands.

Papabear Says

Nixluva: I hope that a lot of people be as positive as you are about the Knicks. It should be that way. I understand and respect what you are saying. Let's give this thing a chance.

Papabear
yellowboy90

7/22/2014  2:45 AM
Saw this article on JR and thought I would share.

http://thechilltime.com/defense-j-r-smith/

When applying some basic filters (40 games played and over 3 attempts per game) to avoid relatively small samples in both total attempts and games played, JR Smith is revealed to be the…wait for it…THIRD BEST spot-up 3 point shooter in the entire league (behind only legendary shooter Kyle Korver and Marco Belinelli). He shot an astounding 46% on spot up 3 point attempts – and this is including his absolutely god awful start to the 2013-14 season. On top of that, his spot-up FG% was good for 11th best in the league at 47%. JR excels as a spot up shooter, making him a prime candidate to surround around a ball dominant star.
Begley: Source says Knicks open to dealing Shump, JR, Larking

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy