[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Begley: Source says Knicks open to dealing Shump, JR, Larking
Author Thread
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
7/21/2014  11:55 AM
EnySpree wrote:All of our shooting guards are inconsistent and unreliable.

When Jr is in his game, he's an all star.
When thjr is on his game he looks like a legit starting caliber NBA shooting guard.
When shump is on his game he is a role player off the bench.

When Jr is off his game, he's still a solid starter, first guard off the bench guy.
When thjr is off his game, he's still a deadly 3pt sniper.
When shump is off his game, he's a D league player.

This. Great post.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
AUTOADVERT
CrushAlot
USA
7/21/2014  11:58 AM
fishmike wrote:Dantay Jones is a nice defender on the wing. Not much else and he didnt play last year. That being said a guy like THjr could learn a lot by seeing his minutes taken by a who adds little besides defense and rebounding

He also is a leader and good character guy. Having a vet like him around helps and he doesn't cost Tyson money.
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
7/21/2014  12:10 PM
Rookie wrote:Seems the Pistons aren't asking much for Josh Smith. I don't see any fire with this report from Begley, just smoke, but if the Knicks are willing to gamble on Smith and his contract...Shump and JR plus our trade exception would get it done.

Josh Smith is definitely talented, an athletic freak. But he's also got a little bit of JR Smith to him. In fantasy basketball, it feels like a match made in heaven - in real life, not so sure.

Is he the super star you'd want next to Carmelo for the next few years? It depends what Phil/Fish think - whether you can get Josh Smith's innate instincts working with system basketball.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
7/21/2014  12:12 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
EnySpree wrote:All of our shooting guards are inconsistent and unreliable.

When Jr is in his game, he's an all star.
When thjr is on his game he looks like a legit starting caliber NBA shooting guard.
When shump is on his game he is a role player off the bench.

When Jr is off his game, he's still a solid starter, first guard off the bench guy.
When thjr is off his game, he's still a deadly 3pt sniper.
When shump is off his game, he's a D league player.

This. Great post.

THJ is a sniper, when he's off his game, he's useless, what else does he do.

When Jr is off his game,he's un tying shoe laces, head butting rondo, and shooting more jumpers, then when he's on.

when shump is off his game, he will still get You a couple steals, and decent defense.

But honestly, they're all D leaguers when there off their game

ES
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/21/2014  12:21 PM
THJ is Trent Tucker or Mike Glenn type player. Still has upside.

THU is Chris Rock with a better handle!

F500ONE
Member: #5844

7/21/2014  12:25 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
EnySpree wrote:All signs points to Shump being traded.....I keep saying it. He's the easiest to move. We have shooting guards here that can do what he does.

What shooting guards do we have that can do what Shump does?? When Shump is focused like he was when Phil came on he's one of the best defensive players in the league. I understand that he's been inconsistent with his play especially his offense but with this new culture that we're building with Phil and Fish i truly think Shump can be one hell of an asset. If i had my choice i would do what i could to trade JR even though i think he's actually worth more than he's getting paid.

What does Shump do? His defense is overrated and when he's focused he's still only a marginal rule player. When JR is focused he's all star caliber.

Wellington can do what shump does easy. So can Shannon Brown. Hit shots, blend in and play defense. That's their jobs. Shump isn't the difference maker in any aspect of the game and he's not head and shoulders better than these two.

There are people around the league that believe in the bull**** that shump is this defensive stalwart with untapped potential, so he can be moved easily. We need to get better. We have ThJr, Jr Smith and the option to keep wellington or Shannon....

See if we can get dunlevy, Matt barnes, delphino, or someone who can pass, cut, make shots and defend, flat out play the small fwd spot. Having a shooting guard with point guard skills playing small fwd isn't winning basketball

Are some are stuck on his playoff series against Boston and his tip in against the Spurs?

I don't get it Shumpert is very much overrated, we need to get past these kind of sentimental moments

Overrated by who? I don't think anyone is putting shump over the top, but lets be honest, what kind of a stock do any of these players have currently.

Larkin got very little run, he's a throw in for any trade.

Shump is also a throw in, your not going to get any value for him.

Jr save face at the end of the season, but he has a player option, and a suspect personality, too risky, you'll have to sell him low.

So basically you have 3 guys who you have to sell very low in order to get back some marginal back up sf.

If im packaging any 2 those guys (which would be the only way you would get good value) I would hope to get a player of gallo's caliber as a back up SF.

Right now it looks like the knicks aren't going to make any silly ass lateral Isiah thomas trade, I trust phil knows what the hell he's doing.

I've heard some wild upside comparisons since he's been a Knick.

Overrated in the sense every time his name in mentioned in a trade

It's either met with no we can't give up on him yet or we get overly demanding what to expect back.

We won't miss a beat without Shumpert, we have other guys on this team who can get things done from different angles and places on the court

Listen this guy is more interested in doing rap covers, dating Hip-Hop industry chicks, talking a big game//// instead of truly working on his game.

He's been way past trade bait, please erase him before it's too late

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
7/21/2014  12:25 PM
Hopefully this new system will put them in a better mind frame. Getting better shots. Making more passes to teammates. The focus of this offense is much different than we've had in the past. I think players are mentally involved more since they have to constantly read the defense and make a move based on what the defense chooses to do. We've had a stand and wait offense for the most part. There were some curls and PnR but nothing like this motion offense we have now. Gotta hope we see more drives to the basket off the cut and hand offs. We're going from nearly zero cuts to the basket to multiple cuts per possession. It's night and day. That should make all of our guards much better this year.
F500ONE

7/21/2014  12:31 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/21/2014  12:33 PM
smackeddog wrote:The reason Shump hasn't improved may because he tore his ACL and hasn't had a summer to work on his game some he entered the league- ridiculous to give up on him this early, especially as he showed an improved 3pt shot in his second year.

Like last summer when he was asked to play point in SL to see if it could help expand his game/the team and he aborted this mission as soon as possible?

Started over half the season last year, like a baby who pooped the diaper

Where has he been this summer?

This is exactly what I'm referring to by overrating////in a round about way making excuses as if this guy is on the cusp of something spectacular

Anji
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #1122
USA
7/21/2014  12:38 PM
EnySpree wrote:Knicks1248 yes I do think he's d league talent. If he wasn't in his rookie deal he would be dahntay Jones looking for someone to throw him a contract.

We have Jr Smith and thjr. We don't need to coddle shump.

Knicks will look at Carmelo Anthony's friend, free agent Dahntay Jones
Anthony and Jones have remained close despite their spirited battles, especially when Jones spent three seasons with the Indiana Pacers.
BY FRANK ISOLA NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Monday, July 21, 2014, 12:20 AM A A A

SHARE THIS URL

Dahntay Jones, here playing for the Atlanta Hawks in 2012-13, will get a look from the Knicks.
BRUCE BENNETT/GETTY IMAGES
Dahntay Jones, here playing for the Atlanta Hawks in 2012-13, will get a look from the Knicks.
Free agent Dahntay Jones is expected to work out for the Knicks this week as the shooting guard/small forward attempts to make a comeback after sitting out last season due to injury.
Jones, 33, is also scheduled to audition for the Sixers, but the New Jersey product would prefer to land a contract with the Knicks that would reunite him with Carmelo Anthony, his former teammate in Denver.
Jones was in contact with Anthony prior to Anthony re-signing with the Knicks. Jones had been in Los Angeles working out for the Clippers. Anthony lives in L.A. during the offseason.
The two have remained close despite their spirited battles, especially when Jones spent three seasons with the Indiana Pacers. The Knicks have expressed interest in Jones because of his competitive nature and leadership qualities. The Knicks locker room was mostly devoid of leadership last season.
The Knicks have an abundance of wing players in Iman Shumpert, J.R. Smith, Tim Hardaway Jr. and second-round pick Cleanthony Early. Team president Phil Jackson, however, has been trying to move Smith, who also played with Jones in Denver.
RUMOR MILLS
There are conflicting reports regarding Steve Mills’ interest in becoming the new executive director of the players’ union.
It has been reported that Mills, who was rehired by the Knicks last September, is a top candidate for the job.
However, a league source told the Daily News that Mills recently removed his name from consideration.
Mills is currently the GM under Jackson, who recently said the two are working well together.
The union is expected to name Billy Hunter’s successor within two weeks.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/knicks-give-carmelo-anthony-friend-dahntay-jones-article-1.1874219#ixzz387GGbIOx

Bad news for slumps???

I would keep JR and Tjr, I think Tim will score 40 points off the bench soon. I think he will be an elite level three point shooter and transition player. He isn't at the level of Jamaal Crawford or Nate as an offense guard because of the dribble/iso play they can do, but he isn't far behind. Plus with his size and off the ball game, he has more potential to be a starter than both of those guys.

And I think you keep JR for 6 million, he is the best guard on the team, even with all thee inconsistencies.
Last season after the allstar, like the year he won 6th man, Jr was balling and was all around the second best player on the team. Don't think you trade that away.

"Really, all Americans want is a cold beer, warm p***y, and some place to s**t with a door on it." - Mr. Ford
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

7/21/2014  12:42 PM
F500ONE wrote:
smackeddog wrote:The reason Shump hasn't improved may because he tore his ACL and hasn't had a summer to work on his game some he entered the league- ridiculous to give up on him this early, especially as he showed an improved 3pt shot in his second year.

Like last summer when he was asked to play point in SL to see if it could help expand his game/the team and he aborted this mission as soon as possible?

This is exactly what I'm referring to by overrating////in a round about way making excuses as if this guy is on the cusp of something spectacular

I think many actually underrated him when we drafted him, and when he showed some flashes in his rookie year some started to overrate him, simply because he exceeded low expectations.

Frustrating to watch him play at times. Can look great, and then play like he started playing the game when he was 19.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
Anji
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #1122
USA
7/21/2014  12:42 PM
fishmike wrote:
Silverfuel wrote:
EnySpree wrote:Knicks1248 yes I do think he's d league talent. If he wasn't in his rookie deal he would be dahntay Jones looking for someone to throw him a contract.

We have Jr Smith and thjr. We don't need to coddle shump.

Shumpert hasn't done much or shown much improvement in the 3 years he has been here. Not only that, he is also known to be a low IQ and an injury prone player. Time to cut our losses.
botom line is his QO is about $4mm next year, and we know if he's here the KNicks are not picking that up renouncing his bird rights/cap hold.

So assuming he's not part of the plan for next year and JR is still under contract and simply better in every way, its a no brainer. If I could get a #1 next the end of the draft I would take happily.

Agreed

And his cap hold is 6 million......only way they should keep is if they lock him in at 2-3 million now or during the season.

"Really, all Americans want is a cold beer, warm p***y, and some place to s**t with a door on it." - Mr. Ford
CrushAlot
USA
7/21/2014  12:57 PM
F500ONE wrote:

I was disappointed he didn't do more work with the summer league team. I remember hearing reports that he had to have his knee scoped prior to training camp. Did that have anything to do with his not playing there. It seems like if it did the Knicks would have made that public to take the heat off of him.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

7/21/2014  1:13 PM
I was on the Shump train when we drafted him and thought we had a steal. Kid proved me wrong and now we have other players that can do what people are saying they hope Shump can do....

we need to make the team better not one role player better. That's where i am with it. It's a professional league. Guys shouldn't need perfect situation just to be average. Get outta here with that.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
7/21/2014  1:16 PM
I still think Shump is gonna have a breakout season. I wouldn't be so quick to assume that he can improve. He's had a very rocky time in NY in terms of him being able to develop. Injury, coaching changes and poor coaching in general have stunted his growth. It's entirely possible that he could be really good in this system. In the end one of these guys has to go. I just don't think it's good to assume Shump is already peaked out and won't get better. It took Ariza time to develop but he did get better. In the end this team will be just fine with one less guard so its not the end of the world.
F500ONE

7/21/2014  2:08 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
F500ONE wrote:

I was disappointed he didn't do more work with the summer league team. I remember hearing reports that he had to have his knee scoped prior to training camp. Did that have anything to do with his not playing there. It seems like if it did the Knicks would have made that public to take the heat off of him.

Why was Dolan upset at him and if he got his knee scoped why was he handed the starting position without any flack?

Who knows

I'm not going to begin to insert hypothetical what ifs, maybe it was because, the system was holding him back etc etc

He's been given all the opportunity in the world to prove his worth and he hasn't.

Sometimes players are what they are/////not as good as you think they are, are going to be, or what you thought they were.

We can't have 5 guards on this team competing for time, while maximizing their value

The fact we're looking into guys like Jones and even Artest says a lot about what the internal thoughts may be about our wing players.

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

7/21/2014  2:11 PM
nixluva wrote:I still think Shump is gonna have a breakout season. I wouldn't be so quick to assume that he can improve. He's had a very rocky time in NY in terms of him being able to develop. Injury, coaching changes and poor coaching in general have stunted his growth. It's entirely possible that he could be really good in this system. In the end one of these guys has to go. I just don't think it's good to assume Shump is already peaked out and won't get better. It took Ariza time to develop but he did get better. In the end this team will be just fine with one less guard so its not the end of the world.

I'd we end up keeping him that's fine. I still don't like him as a player. He got me choosing Jr Smith over him lol.

It's true he could still turn it around, but like you just said, someone has to go. Shump has the most trade value based on the myth that he plays defense.

Shump for Dunlevy!

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
7/21/2014  2:38 PM
EnySpree wrote:
nixluva wrote:I still think Shump is gonna have a breakout season. I wouldn't be so quick to assume that he can improve. He's had a very rocky time in NY in terms of him being able to develop. Injury, coaching changes and poor coaching in general have stunted his growth. It's entirely possible that he could be really good in this system. In the end one of these guys has to go. I just don't think it's good to assume Shump is already peaked out and won't get better. It took Ariza time to develop but he did get better. In the end this team will be just fine with one less guard so its not the end of the world.

I'd we end up keeping him that's fine. I still don't like him as a player. He got me choosing Jr Smith over him lol.

It's true he could still turn it around, but like you just said, someone has to go. Shump has the most trade value based on the myth that he plays defense.

Shump for Dunlevy!

As a high lottery pick Dunleavy is a total bust but he's a damn nice do all role player. Sign me up
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
yellowboy90
Member: #3538

7/21/2014  2:54 PM
I actually want to see Jr in the post in the triangle. I think hat is underrated part of his game. Fisher needs to take away the ball in his hands at the top of the key. Seriously limit all Iso's and PnR ball handling and increase off the ball activities and post ups would be nice.
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
7/21/2014  2:56 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:I actually want to see Jr in the post in the triangle. I think hat is underrated part of his game. Fisher needs to take away the ball in his hands at the top of the key. Seriously limit all Iso's and PnR ball handling and increase off the ball activities and post ups would be nice.
of all the guys who underperformed or have upside I think JRs is the highest. He's also shown he can play high quality ball for extended periods of time. He needs strong leadership. Hopefully that is something the Phil/Fisher regime can bring.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
smackeddog
Member: #883
7/21/2014  3:04 PM
F500ONE wrote:

he had surgery after that single summer league game, so he likely was injured. this offseason he's been doing two a days and playing in various pick up games. how exactly was he supposed to work on his game last summer while recovering from knee surgery? or the summer before when he was recovering from an ACL? yep people overrate our rookies, then they turn on them quick and give up on them after the second season- then they end up becoming productive players for other teams.

he sucked last season- came to camp out of shape (recovering from surgery) then stuff messed with his head (feud with Woody, trade rumours, losing, etc). He was good in last years playoffs- really raised his game, so I think he has potential.

Begley: Source says Knicks open to dealing Shump, JR, Larking

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy