[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

What up with Greg Monroe?
Author Thread
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

7/20/2014  10:38 AM
He still isn't signed.....

They essentially don't need him. They have Drummond at center and Josh Smith at power fwd.

Can we get this guy? I know other teams can offer more but who are these other teams?

Knocks have nothing to offer really....Detroit is pretty deep at every position.

Would they take Bargs just to move Monroe? They have no reason to accommodate us or monroe

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
AUTOADVERT
Rookie
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #2274

7/20/2014  11:06 AM
EnySpree wrote:He still isn't signed.....

They essentially don't need him. They have Drummond at center and Josh Smith at power fwd.

Can we get this guy? I know other teams can offer more but who are these other teams?

Knocks have nothing to offer really....Detroit is pretty deep at every position.

Would they take Bargs just to move Monroe? They have no reason to accommodate us or monroe

He wants a max contract and will probably wind up playing out his rookie contract and become a FA next year.

yellowboy90
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3538

7/20/2014  11:07 AM
They want to keep him and that is why they are trying to trade Josh Smith. Only way NY has a chance is if he signs his qualifying offer and looks to free agency next year.
EnySpree

7/20/2014  11:35 AM
yellowboy90 wrote:They want to keep him and that is why they are trying to trade Josh Smith. Only way NY has a chance is if he signs his qualifying offer and looks to free agency next year.

What is his qualifying offer? Could he sign a 2 year with us using our trade exemption? It can be a 1 year with a player option just to sign with us. It's the same as excepting the qualifying offer except taking a pay cut. He could stay or leave. It's in his best interest to leave the pistons. His game and passing ability rivals Marc gasol.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
yellowboy90

7/20/2014  11:55 AM
EnySpree wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:They want to keep him and that is why they are trying to trade Josh Smith. Only way NY has a chance is if he signs his qualifying offer and looks to free agency next year.

What is his qualifying offer? Could he sign a 2 year with us using our trade exemption? It can be a 1 year with a player option just to sign with us. It's the same as excepting the qualifying offer except taking a pay cut. He could stay or leave. It's in his best interest to leave the pistons. His game and passing ability rivals Marc gasol.

http://www.nba.com/knicks/freeagency/faqs.html

What is a qualifying offer?
For a team to make one of their players a restricted free agent, they must submit a qualifying offer to the player by June 30. This offer must be a one year offer for 125% of the player's previous salary or the player's minimum salary plus $175,000 (whichever is greater). If a player agrees to this offer, they play under a one-year contract and become an unrestricted free agent the following year. If not, he becomes a restricted free agent.

Your second question is interesting. In theory I guess it is possible but since he is a restricted FA Detroit has the ability to match any offer. So for a trade you suggested to happen Detroit would have to renounce the qualifying offer and make him an unrestricted FA then he can sign for anything but I doubt he would settle for 3.6M unless he really wants to play in NY.

Now, if he signs the qualifying offer I believe he has to stay with the team until a certain date then after that date he can be trade. That is the opportunity to get him in a trade but why give up assets for that caliber of player if he is going into FA. Maybe you do if you can limit your assets to a future 2nd and fillers and he agrees to an extension.

callmened
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #4234

7/20/2014  12:28 PM
We're not getting monroe. Lol
Knicks should be improved: win about 40 games and maybe sneak into the playoffs. Melo, Rose and even Noah will have some nice moments however this team should be about PORZINGUS. the sooner they make him the primary player, the better
EnySpree

7/20/2014  1:25 PM
Yellowboy90 i was thinking that he could just sign an offer sheet of 1 year with a player option with the knicks. Detroit could match, truthfully they shouldn't cut of how i described in the first post. I know they might want to trade Josh Smith but drummond and Monroe doesn't fit. They are both centers. Forcing either to play power fwd is the wrong idea imho.

This is wishful thinking on my part...but I see Monroe dangling. Detroit doesn't need him and they don't need to sign and trade him just because. They should let him go

VCoug
Member: #1406

7/20/2014  2:13 PM
EnySpree wrote:

No, you can't sign free agents with a trade exception. And even if you could, we're not getting Monroe for $3M.

Now the joy of my world is in Zion How beautiful if nothing more Than to wait at Zion's door I've never been in love like this before Now let me pray to keep you from The perils that will surely come
yellowboy90

7/20/2014  2:16 PM
EnySpree wrote:Yellowboy90 i was thinking that he could just sign an offer sheet of 1 year with a player option with the knicks. Detroit could match, truthfully they shouldn't cut of how i described in the first post. I know they might want to trade Josh Smith but drummond and Monroe doesn't fit. They are both centers. Forcing either to play power fwd is the wrong idea imho.

This is wishful thinking on my part...but I see Monroe dangling. Detroit doesn't need him and they don't need to sign and trade him just because. They should let him go

Monroe wants out but there are many teams with cap space and assets that could work a S&T for him besides the Knicks. Also you have to worry about Monroe's lack of defense. He is probably one of the worst PnR defensive bigs and clearly has trouble guarding quicker 4s. Maybe he improves going forward but it is a risk.

Back to Detroit: I think SVG will likely try to recreate what he did with Orlando and play small ball with Drummond playing the role of Howard. Now he just needs to find the pieces to go around Drummond.

yellowboy90

7/20/2014  2:21 PM
VCoug wrote:
EnySpree wrote:

No, you can't sign free agents with a trade exception. And even if you could, we're not getting Monroe for $3M.

Plus his qualifying offer is more than the knicks TPE.

knickscity
Member: #4241
USA
7/20/2014  2:24 PM
if they could trade Josh Smith they'd sign Monroe immediately....otherwise they'll just wait til he's a free agent.
NardDogNation
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #5555

7/20/2014  2:37 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:
EnySpree wrote:Yellowboy90 i was thinking that he could just sign an offer sheet of 1 year with a player option with the knicks. Detroit could match, truthfully they shouldn't cut of how i described in the first post. I know they might want to trade Josh Smith but drummond and Monroe doesn't fit. They are both centers. Forcing either to play power fwd is the wrong idea imho.

Monroe wants out but there are many teams with cap space and assets that could work a S&T for him besides the Knicks. Also you have to worry about Monroe's lack of defense. He is probably one of the worst PnR defensive bigs and clearly has trouble guarding quicker 4s. Maybe he improves going forward but it is a risk.

Back to Detroit: I think SVG will likely try to recreate what he did with Orlando and play small ball with Drummond playing the role of Howard. Now he just needs to find the pieces to go around Drummond.

New Orleans would've been a perfect fit for Greg Monroe had they not traded for Omer Asik. Ryan Anderson could've been sent back to Detriot, along with a few more assets and the rest would've been history.

H1AND1
Member: #5648

7/20/2014  2:37 PM

Monroe is a restricted free agent which means they don't have any incentive to do a sign and trade unless it's clear some team out there is going to offer him an amount of money that is way more than they are willing to pay. They could also simply extend him a qualifying offer and he could take that and become unrestricted after next season.

Since no teams seem to be interested in him at the price he and his agent wants (max) it's in DET and his best interest to just keep him around another year. Detroit certainly wouldn't just dump a RFA for nothing.

EnySpree

7/20/2014  2:50 PM
H1AND1 wrote:

Monroe is a restricted free agent which means they don't have any incentive to do a sign and trade unless it's clear some team out there is going to offer him an amount of money that is way more than they are willing to pay. They could also simply extend him a qualifying offer and he could take that and become unrestricted after next season.

Since no teams seem to be interested in him at the price he and his agent wants (max) it's in DET and his best interest to just keep him around another year. Detroit certainly wouldn't just dump a RFA for nothing.

Sometimes it's addition by subtraction. Detroit currently have a full roster. If they stay as is Monroe is the backup center. It's not like they were winning with him.

They are looking to trade Josh Smith, but I made a Josh Smith trade thread a while back and everyone ****ted on the idea of trading for him even if it was for Amar'e or bargs.... so why would anyone else trade for him?

The whole thing surrounding Monroe just seems wide open to me.

H1AND1
Member: #5648

7/20/2014  7:09 PM
EnySpree wrote:
H1AND1 wrote:

Sometimes it's addition by subtraction. Detroit currently have a full roster. If they stay as is Monroe is the backup center. It's not like they were winning with him.

They are looking to trade Josh Smith, but I made a Josh Smith trade thread a while back and everyone ****ted on the idea of trading for him even if it was for Amar'e or bargs.... so why would anyone else trade for him?

The whole thing surrounding Monroe just seems wide open to me.

Reports a while back were that DET wasn't all that interested in bringing him back at what his agent was demanding. They actually leaked to the media they were prepared to let him walk.

In a way, nobody making him an offer is the best outcome for DET in that they may not lose him for nothing and they just may be able to even bring him back for another year at a very low price comparatively to a max or near max salary to give the team another shot at making the Monroe/Drummond/Smith frontcourt work.

Since the Knicks are capped out they don't have the leverage to force Detroit into a sign and trade because they can't threaten to sign him outright (Monroe ain't taking the mini mid level, his qualifying offer from Detroit is larger than $3.3 million as he was a lottery pick). So were back to DET being content to let Monroe twist in the wind until a team under the cap comes along who wants to throw big bucks at him.

StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

7/21/2014  8:32 AM
The Knicks are not getting monroe unless he becoms a UFA.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
7/21/2014  10:07 AM
StarksEwing1 wrote:The Knicks are not getting monroe unless he becoms a UFA.
looks like there is a good chance he just plays for the QO this season and is just that next year.

He's a good player. Not much on defense. Nice offensive player. Really gets hurt when he has to guard 4s

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

7/21/2014  10:56 AM
I would love to have Greg Monroe... I could see him fitting into the triangle similarly to Pau. I don't think we could get him in a trade but we should definitely call and see if he's available just so word gets back to him that we are interested in his services and see a role for him here
Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
EnySpree

7/21/2014  1:27 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:I would love to have Greg Monroe... I could see him fitting into the triangle similarly to Pau. I don't think we could get him in a trade but we should definitely call and see if he's available just so word gets back to him that we are interested in his services and see a role for him here

That's the gist of where I'm getting at. Maybe we can plot with the agent to steal him now or put it out there that we'd pay him if we can't get Marc Gasol which is probably or first choice.

Rookie
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #2274

7/21/2014  1:43 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/21/2014  1:44 PM
How much would you pay Monroe? Just curious if you guys still love him at 12-15M per year?
What up with Greg Monroe?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy