[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Need SF back up
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
7/18/2014  10:25 AM
Like Mike Scott--like his size--will rebound shoots a good % and plays pretty decent D 6-8 240
RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
7/18/2014  10:27 AM
Not sold on early?
gunsnewing
USA
7/18/2014  10:27 AM
Or not sold on $124m Melo?
colorfl1
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #731
Canada
7/18/2014  10:38 AM
A healthy Kmart would help bring toughness, experience and hustle.
He was great last year when on the floor, very active defensively
gunsnewing
USA
7/18/2014  10:39 AM
Or are we playing melo at PF TO FInisH OFF WHATEVER IS LEFT OF HIS SHOULDERS
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

7/18/2014  10:46 AM
colorfl1 wrote:A healthy Kmart would help bring toughness, experience and hustle.

He said small forward didn't he?

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

7/18/2014  10:48 AM
I like the Mike Scott idea... Shawn Marion as well. Knicks need a bridge between Melo and Early.... Phil said himself Early was green. So these 2 guys are good choices but may want longer contacts and more money than we'd like to spend
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
7/18/2014  10:55 AM
How many minutes would a backup SF have behind Melo? I would just give those minutes to Early and develop him. 10-12 min a game would be perfect for Early.
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
7/18/2014  11:00 AM
I think Early will be fine in the role. Sure we could add a vet, but then that stunts Early's growth since he would likely not see much time at all with the scraps Melo would leave. I think Early is fine in that limited role and then you could easily put JR in there. He's actually bigger than some realize and he has the game to be able to move over to SF IMO.
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
7/18/2014  11:06 AM
Did we trade Shump already? I heard he was pretty good at D.

Hasn't the KMart train permanently been parked in the "join the Knicks and then retire" queue?

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
7/18/2014  12:05 PM
colorfl1 wrote:A healthy Kmart would help bring toughness, experience and hustle.
I hope they bring him in. He plays really well next to Melo and would bring some much needed toughness. Hopefully after ankle surgery he is well enough to play on a nightly basis. I love when KMart gets called for a ticky tack foul and then hammers a guy on the next play and yells, now that's a foul.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
yellowboy90
Member: #3538

7/18/2014  12:18 PM
All the players named above are undersized 4s. Now I would love to try out Marion but the knicks do not have the money unless they do a S&T but they do not have any assets except money. K-mart needs to stay in the gym away from the court and get picked up before the playoffs to keep him healthy. Mike Scott is a restricted FA so the knicks only have the BAE to use but again he is a PF.
Finestrg
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1069

7/18/2014  12:27 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/18/2014  3:22 PM
I like Scott too, talked about getting him the other day...I look at him as more of a PF that developed (real nicely and quickly) into a reliable stretch 4 as a pro. He was a slightly undersized interior player at Virginia from what I remember -- now the man steps out and knocks down 3s in the NBA, quite comfortably. A guy that comes to mind as a comparison is DaJuan Summers. Both about 6'8" 240-ish types that shoot 3s -- Summers might be a little more mobile with a better handle--a little better equipped to handle the 3 spot as a hybrid. I don't know if Scott's really a 3 man in the NBA -- not sure if he's got the put-it-on-the-floor game of a 3 or is quick enough to guard most 3s. Nice player though, I agree.

I actually think we need another PF -- guys like Amar'e, Bargs, Jason Smith -- these guys are all injury prone. I'd like to see us cover our asses at 4 with one more guy...Even though this guy's slightly undersized, he's tough and he's got some discernible, budding offensive skills. I think he fits here. His 3-pt shooting along with some post offense would work nicely in the triangle and he'd supply quality depth at the 4 spot.

Here's what I think the deal is with this guy Scott -- he's a RFA. I think ATL is playing it cool with him right now. They can match any offer I believe. Probably seeing what the market dictates -- if a team comes along and offers him substantial money, ATL might pass. And then if no one offers him big money, they probably re-sign him for the minimum (most likely their preference right now i'm sure). After we used our tax payers MLE on Jason Smith, we don't have much to offer. Again question -- can we offer a FA a contract using the trade exception we have? And what is that for again, $3.6mm?? Is Scott worth that amount? He might be, man...Dude has shown some real nice progress from college to the NBA. If we offered that amount, would ATL match? Another question -- thought I read somewhere that Berman said we have a smaller exception available to use for around $2.2mm (bi-annual?) -- is that true and is that the correct amount? Maybe we offer Scott a contract in that range. Would be a lot easier for ATL to match though. And if we offer this dude his vet minimum, ATL instantly matches that, that's the thing..

My thing right now would be---if we have any interest---come hard at the guy with our best offer (or whatever offer Phil thinks is proper value). I'd want an answer -- I wouldn't want to use up any more time waiting around. There are other fish in the sea, that won't be there forever. Teams are signing guys left and right every day to complete their rosters...If they like this dude -- offer a contract, some amount north of his vet minimum. That's what it'll take...Put pressure on ATL to make a decision. I wouldn't even waste my time with a vet min deal -- ATL easily matches that amount.

---------------------

If the plan is to develop Early/Thanasis further in the DL/Europe (or trade either guy -- I wouldn't be against that at all if I could bring back something that helps us), other SFs I like a lot are Devin Ebanks and Dequan Jones. Both have prior NBA experience (where they showed w/o question that they belonged -- Ebanks can really score the ball + he rebounds; Jones is a terrific athlete with skills), and both would come cheap. Either of these guys could probably be had on a league minimum deal, which would keep our trade exception and the other smaller exception available for other things.

LivingLegend
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1645

7/18/2014  12:34 PM
BRIGGS wrote:Like Mike Scott--like his size--will rebound shoots a good % and plays pretty decent D 6-8 240

Not a SF though Briggs -- he's a pick/pop undersized PF that shoots the 3 very well.

I think Phil is looking for a athletic/wing defender who is a solid all-around player (think that is why they may have reached on Thanasis in 2nd round).

A guy like Damare Carrol SF / Hawks is what I think he's looking for -- though Carrol likely not available.

LivingLegend

7/18/2014  12:35 PM
jrodmc wrote:Did we trade Shump already? I heard he was pretty good at D.

Hasn't the KMart train permanently been parked in the "join the Knicks and then retire" queue?

At summer league - Phil said Shump is a SG -- a SG -- clearly indicating he doesn't want him at SF in an ideal world.

Finestrg
Member: #1069

7/18/2014  12:37 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/18/2014  8:54 PM
LivingLegend wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:Like Mike Scott--like his size--will rebound shoots a good % and plays pretty decent D 6-8 240

Not a SF though Briggs -- he's a pick/pop undersized PF that shoots the 3 very well.

I think Phil is looking for a athletic/wing defender who is a solid all-around player (think that is why they may have reached on Thanasis in 2nd round).

A guy like Damare Carrol SF / Hawks is what I think he's looking for -- though Carrol likely not available.

If they're really looking for a guy like this -- DeQuan Jones should be our man. This guy's 6'8" 220, a better athlete than Thanasis with an even better skill-set. He's similar to Thanasis only better in every area -- bigger, stronger, even better athlete, and his skills are better. Hard to understand the mindset picking Thanasis A. in the draft. If they wanted a guy like this why not just reach out to DeQuan Jones early and offer him a spot on the SL roster and a training camp spot with a legit chance to make the team, then turn around a use the draft pick on something else??

I'd personally like to see us pick up one more PF if anything. We already have a ton of wings -- maybe Thanasis goes to Europe like we've been hearing (which would be perfect--let him develop a little further, let him make some real money and let's free up the roster spot---if he goes to the DL, he still takes up a roster spot, no?) and Early is a little older -- maybe we take him on the team and develop him on the fly (I probably like Devin Ebanks a little better but the difference in potential impact between Ebanks and Early is negligible -- let's just go with Early and show some conviction in the pick -- I like Thanasis too but feel more strongly about DeQuan Jones being a better alternative over Thanasis than I do about Ebanks being better than Early. Plus Jones has more guard-type skills than Ebanks -- Ebanks is a legit 3 that can play some 4. Jones is a 3 that has 2G skills)... Try to get another 4 man -- look into signing this dude Scott to take over both the K-Mart role and the Jeremy Tyler auxillary big role. He's an upgrade over either guy. Or, if we strike out there and there's not much left, I'd sign the 6'8" 260 lb. Richard Howell who's very similar skill-wise to DeJuan Blair. That's continues to be my back burner PF on the cheap if nothing else materializes. Howell or Daniel Orton..

LivingLegend

7/18/2014  12:38 PM
LivingLegend wrote:

Another guy I've liked in the past but that had a rocky year on/off court last year is Dante Cunningham.

He's a tweener but he's long lean and seems to have a solid mid-range game and defends -=- always liked him particularly as a back-up depth forward. I think he'd be a better option than Early/Greek/Scott -- etc.

WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

7/18/2014  1:04 PM
gunsnewing wrote:Or are we playing melo at PF TO FInisH OFF WHATEVER IS LEFT OF HIS SHOULDERS

You do like to be provocative... don't you.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

7/18/2014  1:09 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
I hope they bring him in. He plays really well next to Melo and would bring some much needed toughness. Hopefully after ankle surgery he is well enough to play on a nightly basis. I love when KMart gets called for a ticky tack foul and then hammers a guy on the next play and yells, now that's a foul.

Don't think he is a Phil kind of player. Can do many of the things he wants in terms of ball movement, passing, and picks, I think, but his jumper is not what Phil is looking for. Our bigs HAVE to be able to hit the midrange J, and Martin, unless he's done a lot of work in the offseason, does not do this. Messes up the reason for having spacing in the Triangle, I would think.
EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
7/18/2014  1:11 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:Or are we playing melo at PF TO FInisH OFF WHATEVER IS LEFT OF HIS SHOULDERS

You do like to be provocative... don't you.

Guns is great but he's got the emotions of a 13 year old girl. Melo is like his One Direction. Now he's down on him... probably just read some rumor in teenbeat that set him off. But the minute Melo starts lighting it up in the triangle AND the Knicks are winning games all those love songs will be for him again, and it will be all roses.

Guns is not the guy looking to get under folks skin. Think of these types of posts as therapy. He's gotta work out the angst so he can go back to a normal life and healthy relationship

Go Knicks

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Need SF back up

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy