nixluva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #758
USA
7/20/2014  11:40 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:
nixluva wrote:Between Augustin and Larkin there is no comparison defensively. Larkin is far superior with a higher motor and athletic ability. I actually think Larkin can be a step above Augustin given his style of play. Augustin did a very good job this year, but he wasn't the spark plug that Nate was in a similar role with the Bulls. Augustin just doesn't have that other gear. I think Larkin has that other gear.

I'd wait to judge Larkin in regards to his defensive prowess until he plays actual minutes during this season. He has shown some good things but he gets lost a lot out there going around screens and I want to see him deal with the physicality on the big level.

we've started PG's who are worse at getting around screens. I saw no real evidence that we need to be concerned with Larkin getting over screens. He instead showed that he's quick and anticipates the screen and moves before the contact can come. I think maybe you need to watch him on defense again, cuz I didn't see any problem with him getting up into his man's space and getting steals and being disruptive. No PG is gonna be perfect on defense so I wouldn't be so harsh on him.

You think Augustin who is slower and weaker is better at getting around screens? I mean he's playing in the league and a team has found him useful at the PG spot. Why should Larkin who is stronger and more athletic have more problems than Augustin in this regard. Larkin did 12 reps at the combine and Augustin did 2. Derrick Rose did 10 reps and Russell Westbrook did 12. I mean basically Shane looks small and weak but he's not. He's probably a bit stronger now than he was at the Combine.

I get you are a man of your convictions but the guy needs work on D. I like the pest in him but there are other things that go along with Defense. Also, Augustin is not his only comparison he is just one guard who is a traveling back up right now. Who cares if he is better than Augustin he needs to better than other pgs too. All I said is that I will reserve judgement until he plays significant time against the big boys.

That's why I at least tried to show some evidence of him playing in the NBA. There's a way for you to see more if you want, but I think he can hang in this league. In that video he was blowing by quick NBA guards. He was being a pest and he was setting up his teammates properly. I don't know what in particular you think he's not able to do defensively. He's a smaller PG and so he's gonna have times where a bigger guard overwhelms him, but he's proven to be tough in setting picks and taking hits.

AUTOADVERT
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
7/20/2014  11:56 PM
I'm not sure if I wasn't paying attention when Larkin blew us away with a 20pt/10ast game in the summer league, securing him a place in the summer league HOF. Actually, that never happened.

Augustin was given his opportunities to take the reign in Charlotte, but was ultimately let go, only to become a 3rd stringer/deep-insurance in Chicago. He put up pretty respectable numbers and was a big part of keeping hope alive in Chicago - ultimately ending in a 1st round loss.

So if he's Larkin's high end, well... DJ's solid. A 3rd tier NBA PG, borderline starting material.

Brunson comparison is based on someone who carved out a pretty long journeyman NBA career as a deep bench PG, who didn't look out of place when he played, averaging a career best 5ppg/5apg at age 32. But my final memories of him as a player were as a heady backup, making plays, playing hard. Though I guess that's a bit low end.

I think Larkin's T-Rex (ie normal human length) arms and his build (listed as 176lbs))are always going to leave questions about his upside and ability to defender beefier guard assignments (just about every NBA starting PG will be bigger). He showed good quickness and anticipation for the passing lanes, so it's possible he'd have gaudy steal numbers with starter minutes. And if he's allowed to move with the ball and keep defenders off balance with his creativity, he could probably be a very effective offensive player. However, if he plays within a system, it means his jump shot will be more predictable - and he'll have a hard time getting his shot off.

And he might be better than Jameer Nelson as a physical specimen, but few teams give sub-6fters extended opportunity to prove themselves as legit starters.

(if there were an opportunity, I'd sell high)

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
7/21/2014  12:10 AM
technomaster wrote:I'm not sure if I wasn't paying attention when Larkin blew us away with a 20pt/10ast game in the summer league, securing him a place in the summer league HOF. Actually, that never happened.

Augustin was given his opportunities to take the reign in Charlotte, but was ultimately let go, only to become a 3rd stringer/deep-insurance in Chicago. He put up pretty respectable numbers and was a big part of keeping hope alive in Chicago - ultimately ending in a 1st round loss.

So if he's Larkin's high end, well... DJ's solid. A 3rd tier NBA PG, borderline starting material.

Brunson comparison is based on someone who carved out a pretty long journeyman NBA career as a deep bench PG, who didn't look out of place when he played, averaging a career best 5ppg/5apg at age 32. But my final memories of him as a player were as a heady backup, making plays, playing hard. Though I guess that's a bit low end.

I think Larkin's T-Rex (ie normal human length) arms and his build (listed as 176lbs))are always going to leave questions about his upside and ability to defender beefier guard assignments (just about every NBA starting PG will be bigger). He showed good quickness and anticipation for the passing lanes, so it's possible he'd have gaudy steal numbers with starter minutes. And if he's allowed to move with the ball and keep defenders off balance with his creativity, he could probably be a very effective offensive player. However, if he plays within a system, it means his jump shot will be more predictable - and he'll have a hard time getting his shot off.

And he might be better than Jameer Nelson as a physical specimen, but few teams give sub-6fters extended opportunity to prove themselves as legit starters.

(if there were an opportunity, I'd sell high)

He's being groomed as a change of pace PG. I don't see why we have to worry about him living up to that. He seems perfectly suited to that role and should grow into a fine NBA back up PG. I don't know WTF you guys are watching, but i'm seeing a kid that makes quick PG's look slow. He has lightning quick anticipation on passing lanes and he's a total pest with his short arms effectively getting steals and leading the break. He's a blur as fast at Ty Lawson. Lawson 3.12 and Larkin 3.08 in the sprint. Larkin is more explosive with a 44" vert and Lawson 36.5. It's entirely possible that Shane could be much better than many think. He's got good court vision and accurate passing. Basically he's a good all around player, just 2" too small.

technomaster
Member: #426
USA
7/21/2014  1:45 AM
I'd love him to exceed all expectations.

Some players break the mold and are better than they appear. He showed enough in sl that he looks like he could be a rotation player, and that's a great start. An injury can easily mean extended minutes.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
Larkin and THJ have shown they can contribute well at the pro level

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy