[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Larkin and THJ have shown they can contribute well at the pro level
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
7/18/2014  9:57 AM
Right now our two draft picks need developmental time. Thannis is 2-3 years away and Early needs to learn how to use a dribble and mix it up with more force.

Larkin to me is one of the better PG prospects I have seen over the last two years--he looks better than Napier. If he was 6-2 he'd be a top 3 pick

RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
Rookie
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #2274

7/18/2014  10:03 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/18/2014  10:07 AM
The thing is, Early is the oldest of the 3 you mention and the further behind. Then you have Tyler who is also 23 (same as Early) and is also behind in development. Early will have his rookie season to catch up, but time is running out on Tyler. Ellington is 26, have to wonder how many 'projects' the Knicks can carry on the roster
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
7/18/2014  10:06 AM
also notice the strong work ethics and professionalism. You would think they grew up around pro sports.

I totally agree. Actually higher on Larkin than THjr. Smaller guards who can shoot and dissect a defense have a place in the league they didnt have 20 years ago. Early looks great to me. Plays his butt off and is in love with being here. Time will tell but its hard not to be head over heels with whats going on here. No picks, no cap space, Tyson didnt want to be here in a walk year and most agreed Felton was an albatross, and here we are looking at a good draft and the infusion of young talent that looks to play a clear role in the rotation next year. Things looking up Briggy.

As an NCAA draft head you have to be thrilled with the direction of the franchise

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
nixluva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #758
USA
7/18/2014  10:23 AM
LOVE what Larkin and THJ bring to the team. I also love the Early pick. He seems to me to just be trying to blend in. The talent is there. Just watch game tape of him when he's not holding back. He won't stay so tentative and passive with time. I wouldn't worry about Tyler either. He's showing growth even in this short SL so far. He looks very comfortable in this system. If it's my call those 4 are on my roster and Thanasis is in D League. I like Thanasis but he needs to be developed more.
Rookie

7/18/2014  10:45 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/18/2014  10:46 AM
nixluva wrote:LOVE what Larkin and THJ bring to the team. I also love the Early pick. He seems to me to just be trying to blend in. The talent is there. Just watch game tape of him when he's not holding back. He won't stay so tentative and passive with time. I wouldn't worry about Tyler either. He's showing growth even in this short SL so far. He looks very comfortable in this system. If it's my call those 4 are on my roster and Thanasis is in D League. I like Thanasis but he needs to be developed more.

I'm excited about us having a D league team. If Thanasis can be kept close and developed that would be great for his development. I'm not really hyped on the Euro stash thing. It sounds like he could still be around the team a lot. Have to love the mini moves our management has been making. Hearing that since we didn't sign Thanasis yet, we can put him on the D league team w/o him having to clear the draft first. These guys really wrap their heads around every move, it's like a well played chess game. You can really see the layers of their plan starting to come to fruition

Tyler's growth seems very slow. You would think that he would be besting in SL this year. Maybe my expectations need to be tempered a little. His work on the defensive end still looks weak.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/18/2014  11:06 AM
Nice summer league looks at the yoots.

I hope it translates when they play with the adults.

WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

7/18/2014  11:58 AM
Larkin was the steal of the deal. Did not know that much about him before the trade, but when I looked at all the clips of him I was pretty surprised at the skills and intangibles he brought to the floor.

He's still young, AND he was able to get some work in last year- even with his injury which, luckily for us, happened before the season.

He's like a 16-20th round pick in the recent draft. Has all the instincts you love to see on the court. Don't think anyone can beat him to a loose ball, and he has that Clyde-like anticipation when going for steals. I think his speed and quickness will allow him to compensate for his lack of height.

THJ looks more confident, and his offensive game seems more versatile. Midrange, drives- seems to have many more tools in the toolbox. Based on what we've seen so far, we got a lottery pick when he slipped to us... and I was thinking that Reggie Bullock was possibly the better pick at the spot where we got Hardaway!

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
knicks1248
Member: #582
7/18/2014  12:00 PM
Nalod wrote:Nice summer league looks at the yoots.

I hope it translates when they play with the adults.

Most of the d league team was borderline nba players,so that says something. larkin, Early, and THJ are the guys I expect to be part of the rotation.

I remember Briggs was pretty high on Larkin coming into the draft, and since we got him, I have done my research, and It's safe to say prigs will be a 3rd stringer.

ES
Vmart
Member: #247
USA
7/18/2014  12:19 PM
Early needs to work on his entry passes. They basically suck. Lazy passes at best.
LivingLegend
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1645

7/18/2014  12:40 PM
BRIGGS wrote:Right now our two draft picks need developmental time. Thannis is 2-3 years away and Early needs to learn how to use a dribble and mix it up with more force.

Larkin to me is one of the better PG prospects I have seen over the last two years--he looks better than Napier. If he was 6-2 he'd be a top 3 pick

I agree on Larkin vs. Napier Briggs and I would not have thought so before Summer League.

I don't know about the hole Top 3 thing but Larkin is a better defender and better athlete than Shabazz. Larkin impacts the game in lots of ways --- very high energy.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
7/18/2014  12:41 PM
Vmart wrote:Early needs to work on his entry passes. They basically suck. Lazy passes at best.
He had a tough time getting the ball in at one point. I was sure it was a violation but it wasn't called.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
LivingLegend

7/18/2014  12:43 PM
Rookie wrote:The thing is, Early is the oldest of the 3 you mention and the further behind. Then you have Tyler who is also 23 (same as Early) and is also behind in development. Early will have his rookie season to catch up, but time is running out on Tyler. Ellington is 26, have to wonder how many 'projects' the Knicks can carry on the roster

Ellington isn't a project -- I think he's a very underrated pick-up and at least is a solid 3rd guard on any NBA roster.

Early isn't ready and of the 3 you mention it is Tyler who would appear to be the odd man out. Tyler while showing soft touch and decent skill level -- is still very raw and makes way too many out of control dumb plays. That's not Phils style.

LivingLegend

7/18/2014  12:46 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:Larkin was the steal of the deal. Did not know that much about him before the trade, but when I looked at all the clips of him I was pretty surprised at the skills and intangibles he brought to the floor.

He's still young, AND he was able to get some work in last year- even with his injury which, luckily for us, happened before the season.

He's like a 16-20th round pick in the recent draft. Has all the instincts you love to see on the court. Don't think anyone can beat him to a loose ball, and he has that Clyde-like anticipation when going for steals. I think his speed and quickness will allow him to compensate for his lack of height.

THJ looks more confident, and his offensive game seems more versatile. Midrange, drives- seems to have many more tools in the toolbox. Based on what we've seen so far, we got a lottery pick when he slipped to us... and I was thinking that Reggie Bullock was possibly the better pick at the spot where we got Hardaway!

I think Larkin's biggest gift and i think one that P-Jackson appreciates is that Larkin plays at a frenetic pace while also managing to stay under control. We've seen him do some nice things but for the most part the only forces he's made have been a couple of rushed 3s. Other than that he's been all over the floor on D -- he's getting the team into their sets, he's pushing the pace and making the right play.

Biggest key with Timmy is as you say his versatility. Timmy has great range but key is he can also pump fake and step into a mid-range shot or he can catch and attack the rim. Also when he gets to the rim he has a high completion rate -- unlike Shump-a-lump.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
7/18/2014  12:53 PM
Early and Tyler should make the roster IMO. People are being WAY too critical at this point. no training camp yet and a system that is notorious for being hard for players to pick up and they're doing a very good job of it so far. We've had players with less skill playing for us over the years than Early or Tyler. They'll be OK in reserve roles. Both players can shoot which is a very important NBA skill if you're gonna have holes in your game you should as least be able to hit an open jumper and they both can.
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
7/18/2014  1:08 PM
Larkin was the piece in the Tyson trade I was most excited about (granted, we seem to have gotten very good value at 34 and 51). Had he had a full healthy season under his belt, I'm not sure Dallas includes him in the trade. Speedy little ****er that can hit the 3, thread the needle to the cutting man, and is tough as nails. Check him out at the 3:40 mark setting a pick on Deandre Jordan.

Looking good in SL, fully expecting that to carry over into the regular season. Glad he's getting his Triangle summer classes in.

And THJ is flat out the best draft pick we've made in x years. Not sure he'll become a great defensive player, but I can't shake the Ray Allen vibe watching him play.

F500ONE
Member: #5844

7/18/2014  1:14 PM
Not enamored with Larkin but I'm fine with THJ.

If he plays better defense he should be high in the rotation, maybe starting

The defense was very good in the second half yesterday, until the final minutes of game

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
7/18/2014  1:24 PM
MaTT4281 wrote:Larkin was the piece in the Tyson trade I was most excited about (granted, we seem to have gotten very good value at 34 and 51). Had he had a full healthy season under his belt, I'm not sure Dallas includes him in the trade. Speedy little ****er that can hit the 3, thread the needle to the cutting man, and is tough as nails. Check him out at the 3:40 mark setting a pick on Deandre Jordan.

Looking good in SL, fully expecting that to carry over into the regular season. Glad he's getting his Triangle summer classes in.

And THJ is flat out the best draft pick we've made in x years. Not sure he'll become a great defensive player, but I can't shake the Ray Allen vibe watching him play.

great video. Its not just Larkin hitting nice shots etc... it shows Larkin has a speed gear thats simply faster than most everyone on the court and as a small guy thats the must have. He also shows fanstastic court vision. Seeing him facilitate AND score in the SL is getting me even higher on him. I think we might have gotten a steal here.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Dagger
Member: #4184

7/18/2014  1:26 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/18/2014  1:26 PM
Rookie wrote:The thing is, Early is the oldest of the 3 you mention and the further behind. Then you have Tyler who is also 23 (same as Early) and is also behind in development. Early will have his rookie season to catch up, but time is running out on Tyler. Ellington is 26, have to wonder how many 'projects' the Knicks can carry on the roster

Ellington was a trade throw-in, why do people keep bringing him up? He's our 4th string sg!

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/18/2014  1:30 PM
Ellington is H20 "Lite"!!!
Rookie

7/18/2014  1:35 PM
Dagger wrote:

Ellington was a trade throw-in, why do people keep bringing him up? He's our 4th string sg!

Because he is on our team?

Larkin and THJ have shown they can contribute well at the pro level

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy