[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Hall of Famer Oscar Robertson: "I would leave today [if I were Carmelo]"...
Author Thread
Rookie
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #2274

4/24/2014  4:50 PM
Nalod wrote:Reinsdorf is flat out cheap/smart/Profitable and eating booze's 17mil AND paying another 17-20mil is only Dolanesque!

Not many owners can eat that.

I'd be suprised if he did.

Charlottes pick is not lottery.

IF Bulls want Melo they can give us Booze but they better sweeten it up. They got a blue chip Euro, a no. 1 pick and Butler and we good.

This will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Odds are Melo stays.

I see what you are saying. They likely won't want to pay AND give up assets, so it's one or the other. I keep putting a priority in getting out of the repeat offenders on the lux tax. While it does get costly, there are other restrictions. I keep looking for where they are outlined but can't find it anywhere.

AUTOADVERT
yellowboy90
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3538

4/24/2014  5:39 PM
The bulls greatest strength is really their greatest weakness. Their all out push in the regular season and Thibs insistence on pushing his players to the brink of exhaustion hurts them come playoff time. I would fear injury to Rose and Noah(plantar fascia). Also, they would have to give up so much to get under the cap unless he is willing to take 14M. If he takes 14M they can keep pretty much everyone besides Boozer I think.
Finestrg
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1069

4/24/2014  5:45 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/24/2014  6:03 PM
See what develops -- the Rockets could be highly motivated to go after Melo if they wind up getting bounced right outta the playoffs by the Blazers in the 1st round. See this could be good -- get them involved, Chicago, maybe the Lakers... Even if there turns out to be just 2 serious teams for Melo (Chicago and Houston), great! Now there's a market out there. We need there to be competition between multiple teams. I would hope we'd benefit from that. Stay tuned...
Rookie
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #2274

4/24/2014  5:58 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:The bulls greatest strength is really their greatest weakness. Their all out push in the regular season and Thibs insistence on pushing his players to the brink of exhaustion hurts them come playoff time. I would fear injury to Rose and Noah(plantar fascia). Also, they would have to give up so much to get under the cap unless he is willing to take 14M. If he takes 14M they can keep pretty much everyone besides Boozer I think.

Read somewhere the league is projecting the cap will go up 5M. So 19M for Melo outright if they amnesty Boozer. They really don't need us unless, like Nalod said, they are too cheap to eat Boozer's 16.8M. http://ccs.infospace.com/ClickHandler.ashx?ld=20140424&app=1&c=genieo4a.42&s=genieo4a&rc=genieo4a&dc=&euip=100.2.238.11&pvaid=e58959b45e53459dbed9a07a5ccba24b&dt=Desktop&fct.uid=79c97056298a4056ae8fa3da43968781&en=8lDtv8QA6BAcJB5nvTu3YIen%2bMkgEU0PAkuBvUj4ugzSa971raSauQ%3d%3d&du=hoopshype.com%2fsalaries%2fchicago.htm&ru=http%3a%2f%2fhoopshype.com%2fsalaries%2fchicago.htm&ap=2&coi=771&cop=main-title&npp=2&p=0&pp=0&pct=http%3a%2f%2fsearch.genieo.com%2fclick_track%3fquery%3dchicago+team+salary%26channel%3d_42&ep=2&mid=9&hash=70C9744CF270E19FA36BA2BC047857B0

BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
4/24/2014  6:04 PM
It's kind of funny watching and listening to some of this. As a coach no one can speak a dime to Phil J. As a GM? O Roberston--who is Phil Jackson? And he's somewhat right-the bottom line is Phil is a GM novice and will waive MUCH less of a sword as a GM than having a team built up with a Shaq or an MJ. He needs to rely on players coming here or not leavi8ng 9in Melos case. In his own tenure--he simply coached what was already delivered. This is a different beast. You don't think Melo will listen to an Oscar Robertson's type pf advice? The Lakers thought they were resigning Howard as well!
RIP Crushalot😞
NardDogNation
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #5555

4/24/2014  6:12 PM
knicks1248 wrote:Oscar mayer bolonga, are you serious, that is worse piece of advice i ever heard from a HOF..

For whom? Us? Or Melo? Because I think it's on point for Melo if he values his legacy.

NardDogNation

4/24/2014  6:14 PM
Rookie wrote:
mreinman wrote:
Rookie wrote:
mreinman wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:
mreinman wrote:Would love to hear that interview. Do you have a link?

What the hell does this Oscar Melo-Lover Wiener know anyway ?

I didn't read your post but made a similar comment. I do not like that at all. You kinda think like me or I you and that's not cool. No more +1s from me pal or lols.

Bingo.

Bango!

You said it and I cosigned so I get credit that you said it. ROFL LOL

OT: I do think that Oscar is right and as I we discussed yesterday, he fits the best in Houston (though I think that he ends up in Chicago).

Chicago has their own and Charlotte's 1st rd pick. Both are better then Houston's. Plus they will be under the cap and we would't have to take back much salary if they amnesty Boozer. (unless I got the CBA wrong). I would prefer the picks and maintaining cap flexibility for 2015 over any Houston package...Not to mention, Chacago would be easier to deal with.

I think that Morey will fleece us.

I was just saying that I think that Melo is better fit for Houston's style and players than Chicago.

I also don't have much confidence in DRoses health.

It would be ironic if the Knicks win a title before Melo I do think Melo see's himself as more of a blue collar type player in the mold of Chicago. I do hope he chooses Chicago because Morey won't give up shat. He'll be like 'take what I giive you or let him walk for nothing'.

Unless he can find someone to take both Asik's and Lin's contract, Morey can eat a dick if he thinks we'll gift wrap Melo for him.

NardDogNation

4/24/2014  6:17 PM
Nalod wrote:Reinsdorf is flat out cheap/smart/Profitable and eating booze's 17mil AND paying another 17-20mil is only Dolanesque!

IF Bulls want Melo they can give us Booze but they better sweeten it up. They got a blue chip Euro, a no. 1 pick and Butler and we good.

Odds are Melo stays.

And that is exactly why I think we have enough leverage for a sign and trade deal. I'd take Boozer for a year if it meant getting assets that we can use to rebuild or get another star (e.g. Kevin Love). I'd need both their picks though but they can take Shumpert if they want.

NardDogNation

4/24/2014  6:19 PM
mreinman wrote:

Odds are Melo stays.

For > 20 mil or <?

I wouldn't mind him back at a flat rate of $20 million/year but I'd be skeptical of his ability to stay healthy later on.

Papabear
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1414

4/24/2014  6:25 PM
mreinman wrote:Would love to hear that interview. Do you have a link?

What the hell does this Oscar Melo-Lover Wiener know anyway ?

Papabear Says

Oh Oscar is just one of the smartest, brightest, greatest player to ever play the game.

Papabear
Papabear

4/24/2014  6:30 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:The Big O is old. He doesn't count. I have more knowledge than him in my pinky than him with his eye-ball assessment. I am just kidding. That is Oscar's opinion and like it or not that is how he feels. We can argue how we feel about Melo again in this thread for the umpteenth time or we can just respect Oscar's opinion.

Papabear Says

Phil Jackson is now getting old. You can tell by all the Chicago old timers he is reaching out to. I hope that Melo goes to Houston and win because any star who comes here will get eatin up by the press and some of the fans just as soon as he miss one shot.

Papabear
holfresh
Member: #1081

4/24/2014  6:35 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/24/2014  7:02 PM
Link to the Spike Lee and the Big O interview..Full interview will be played at 7pm on Sirius Radio Channel 217 (NBA Radio)...

http://blog.siriusxm.com/2014/04/24/oscar-robertson-thinks-carmelo-anthony-needs-to-get-out-of-new-york-asap/

Hilarious...
Papabear

4/24/2014  6:41 PM
BRIGGS wrote:It's kind of funny watching and listening to some of this. As a coach no one can speak a dime to Phil J. As a GM? O Roberston--who is Phil Jackson? And he's somewhat right-the bottom line is Phil is a GM novice and will waive MUCH less of a sword as a GM than having a team built up with a Shaq or an MJ. He needs to rely on players coming here or not leavi8ng 9in Melos case. In his own tenure--he simply coached what was already delivered. This is a different beast. You don't think Melo will listen to an Oscar Robertson's type pf advice? The Lakers thought they were resigning Howard as well!

Papabear Says

I now hope that Melo leaves New York because he doesn't need the grief. Let the great Phil Jackson put it all together. Where ever he goes I will root for him to win. The man played his heart out and got no respect. Lets see what the Zin master can do.

Papabear
holfresh

4/24/2014  6:52 PM
Papabear wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:It's kind of funny watching and listening to some of this. As a coach no one can speak a dime to Phil J. As a GM? O Roberston--who is Phil Jackson? And he's somewhat right-the bottom line is Phil is a GM novice and will waive MUCH less of a sword as a GM than having a team built up with a Shaq or an MJ. He needs to rely on players coming here or not leavi8ng 9in Melos case. In his own tenure--he simply coached what was already delivered. This is a different beast. You don't think Melo will listen to an Oscar Robertson's type pf advice? The Lakers thought they were resigning Howard as well!

Papabear Says

I now hope that Melo leaves New York because he doesn't need the grief. Let the great Phil Jackson put it all together. Where ever he goes I will root for him to win. The man played his heart out and got no respect. Lets see what the Zin master can do.

Brothers gotta work it out-Public Enemy

Phil and Melo are products of NY, we can work this out...Melo needs Phil and Phil needs Melo...We need a meeting of the minds...

codeunknown
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #704
4/24/2014  7:16 PM
Phil's comments are poorly chosen. The motivation is correct from the Knicks perspective but it doesn't enhance the chances of it happening by leaving a mis-interpretable patronizing quasi-abrasive statement for the media/Melo to mull over prior to the start of negotiations.
Sh-t in the popcorn to go with sh-t on the court. Its a theme show like Medieval times.
codeunknown
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #704
4/24/2014  7:24 PM
It's also of note that the equilibrium point in this negotiation is one in which he is signed and traded - theoretically giving is cap space for 2015 and picks and netting Melo a higher salary than that possible by signing with another team outright. It needs to move in that direction seamlessly before the improbable haggling alienates either party to an irrecoverable point.
Sh-t in the popcorn to go with sh-t on the court. Its a theme show like Medieval times.
holfresh

4/24/2014  8:17 PM
codeunknown wrote:Phil's comments are poorly chosen. The motivation is correct from the Knicks perspective but it doesn't enhance the chances of it happening by leaving a mis-interpretable patronizing quasi-abrasive statement for the media/Melo to mull over prior to the start of negotiations.

This, unfortunately, has been Phil's persona over the years..I think he revels in this..He recently took a shot a the Spurs and their winning over the years at the last press conference...I think as Head of Basketball Operations he needs to temper these outburst...We might need to make deals with some of the folks he chooses to grate the wrong way...

knicks1248
Member: #582
4/24/2014  8:30 PM
NardDogNation wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:Oscar mayer bolonga, are you serious, that is worse piece of advice i ever heard from a HOF..

For whom? Us? Or Melo? Because I think it's on point for Melo if he values his legacy.

His legacy gets tarnish the minute he leaves NY, and if he winds up leaving and still not getting a ring, he'll be known for making some of the dumbest choices an athlete can make.

Oscars reason for telling melo to leave is because he isn't appreciated by some of the fans, and amare and tyson (although he didn't say names) are always injured. He act is if those players are signing new contracts with him.

ES
knicks1248
Member: #582
4/24/2014  8:34 PM
mreinman wrote:

why is that bad advice?

see above
ES
NardDogNation

4/24/2014  8:57 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:

His legacy gets tarnish the minute he leaves NY, and if he winds up leaving and still not getting a ring, he'll be known for making some of the dumbest choices an athlete can make.

Oscars reason for telling melo to leave is because he isn't appreciated by some of the fans, and amare and tyson (although he didn't say names) are always injured. He act is if those players are signing new contracts with him.

LeBron's legacy was not tarnished when he left CLE like some initially suspected. Not sure why Melo's would be if he also went to a better team.

And cap space doesn't ensure a star-studded team. Just ask the Mavs who have struck out 3 consecutive seasons using that strategy. At 30 years old, Melo needs to make every season count because his career is closer to being over. It's why I think that Oscar Robertson's advice is sound.

Hall of Famer Oscar Robertson: "I would leave today [if I were Carmelo]"...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy