think Phil is rebuilding? Suprised nobody mentioned this comment:
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
4/24/2014  1:38 PM
azamatbagatov wrote:
fishmike wrote:http://nypost.com/2014/04/23/players-trashed-woodson-in-exit-interviews-jackson/

“One of the messages from the players was that it was a very talented team,’’ Jackson said. “They had to have a lot of games where they forced their talent on opposing teams rather than playing with freedom to make things easy. All the wins were hard to get. They were winning with talent and not with team play, which I thought was an accurate statement.

“I think the talent’s there,’’ Jax added. “How to blend it together is a coaching decision and a personnel decision.’’

Does that sound like someone looking to gut and rebuild?

Not sure that has anything to do with rebuilding or not. Why would the team president/GM not go out and talk up the talent on his team, especially if he may be looking to move some of that personnel in trades?

If he is out publically saying how horrible the players are; he is bringing down their trade value

certainly agree with that. Its a catch 22... get Amare/Chandler/Bargs playing good ball they will have value at the deadline. If they are playing well are you willing to take a step back for the future? Is Phil? Time will tell... but tearing it down doesnt seem remotely plausable, certainly not without picks
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
4/24/2014  1:39 PM
dk7th wrote:
JS3 wrote:last season we weren't rebuilding, how is that worked for us?

It's about chemistry, it's about players knowing their roles, it's about team ball & basketball plays.

i believe that all the above can be achieved and learned in year 1 of our new president

you're just highlighting the main dilemma of the melo trade: for all this "win-now mode" that the melo trade jolted the knicks into, it came at too high a price.

jeremy lin saved the knicks two seasons ago-- without him the melo-centric knicks don't even make the playoffs. you can look it up! http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2012.html.

one tin-plated regular season triumph since 2010-2011 is evidence of how poorly-constructed this roster has been since february 2011.

melo = mark aguirre. how much is he worth to the knicks?

not much at all... if you are looking at building a contender.. I know it is not realistic to get rid of everyone, although I wish phil would try hard as hell.... but this team needs a new everything almost....we got rid of the coaching staff... great, and honestly maybe some of them were not bad at all,but a message had to be sent, well do the same with the players...get rid of all the influences on this team, from Carmelo down to JR smith....

Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
mreinman
Member: #3189

4/24/2014  1:40 PM
dk7th wrote:

It's about chemistry, it's about players knowing their roles, it's about team ball & basketball plays.

i believe that all the above can be achieved and learned in year 1 of our new president

you're just highlighting the main dilemma of the melo trade: for all this "win-now mode" that the melo trade jolted the knicks into, it came at too high a price.

jeremy lin saved the knicks two seasons ago-- without him the melo-centric knicks don't even make the playoffs. you can look it up! http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2012.html.

one tin-plated regular season triumph since 2010-2011 is evidence of how poorly-constructed this roster has been since february 2011.

I looked it up at BRef and in that year, Melo had a WS48 or 160 while Lin was at 140.

Certainly nice to have a PG (Lin) at 140 when your starting PG (Felton) is at .042!!

You are certainly right though about the poorly constructed roster though, especially with 2 of your main cogs being Amare and Felton.

so here is what phil is thinking ....
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
4/24/2014  1:41 PM
rebuilding is when a new person comes in with a new plan.

I worry that the 54 win season has created false expectations and assumptions.

And Phil's rebuilding plan isn't to tear down and restart - which I worry we need- but to retool.

I'd argue both are rebuilding, but then I think we're parsing definitions in Clintonian fashion!

jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
4/24/2014  1:48 PM

It won't matter what the results are for some in here. If Melo is part of them, they still will find a way to explain them as suhucking.

If making the playoffs does mean anything in year 1, it's only because of the fine .500 record and broken down Stat Melo inherited. Without Melo, that fine young team would have ... ummm...gotten us the same great record they provided before Stat and Melo. But if you point that out, it's irrelevant.

If making the playoffs means anything in year 2, it's because of the fabulous two whole weeks of Linsanity, that saved the whole season and dragged us to the playoffs. That Lin didn't play in. Forget the fact that the league had passed Lin by pointedly by the time his meniscus let out. But don't worry, MagicaLin will now lead the Rockets out of the first round...by playing in every other game... and hoping Patrick Beverly remains injured.

If winning the division and making the playoffs and winning in the first round means anything, it's because of JKidd or 1/3 of a season of Rashweed, or one game by Kurt Thomas, or anything other than Melo.

When all else fails, none of it means anything because we were out of the playoffs by the last 4 games of this season, so Melo sux.
You can look it up!

azamatbagatov
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1713

4/24/2014  2:15 PM
fishmike wrote:
azamatbagatov wrote:
fishmike wrote:http://nypost.com/2014/04/23/players-trashed-woodson-in-exit-interviews-jackson/

“One of the messages from the players was that it was a very talented team,’’ Jackson said. “They had to have a lot of games where they forced their talent on opposing teams rather than playing with freedom to make things easy. All the wins were hard to get. They were winning with talent and not with team play, which I thought was an accurate statement.

“I think the talent’s there,’’ Jax added. “How to blend it together is a coaching decision and a personnel decision.’’

Not sure that has anything to do with rebuilding or not. Why would the team president/GM not go out and talk up the talent on his team, especially if he may be looking to move some of that personnel in trades?

If he is out publically saying how horrible the players are; he is bringing down their trade value

certainly agree with that. Its a catch 22... get Amare/Chandler/Bargs playing good ball they will have value at the deadline. If they are playing well are you willing to take a step back for the future? Is Phil? Time will tell... but tearing it down doesnt seem remotely plausable, certainly not without picks

That will be the dilemma. I trust Phil to see if we are good enough to make a run and keep those 3 guys (and/or possibly add to them) or to tell even though we have a good record, we won't/can't win a title as presently constructed. Then start moving any of them out for assets (picks and young players).
If we don't keep Melo, I assume those deals may go down sooner than later

"I want to leave a legacy." ~ Isiah Thomas
fishmike
USA
4/24/2014  2:20 PM
franco12 wrote:rebuilding is when a new person comes in with a new plan.

I worry that the 54 win season has created false expectations and assumptions.

And Phil's rebuilding plan isn't to tear down and restart - which I worry we need- but to retool.

I'd argue both are rebuilding, but then I think we're parsing definitions in Clintonian fashion!

why? I would say the 54 more telling than the 37.. unless you think the Copelands and Novaks and role players we good things from cant be replaced? To me the one off from that 54 win season was JR. He had a career year followed by a total playoff regression/collapse
fishmike
USA
4/24/2014  2:21 PM
azamatbagatov wrote:
fishmike wrote:
azamatbagatov wrote:

That will be the dilemma. I trust Phil to see if we are good enough to make a run and keep those 3 guys (and/or possibly add to them) or to tell even though we have a good record, we won't/can't win a title as presently constructed. Then start moving any of them out for assets (picks and young players).

agree... and this is why eyeballs and hearts will always trump metrics or anything else. Those are the calls you pay Phil the king's ransom to make. Tough ones...
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/24/2014  2:30 PM
The man said we are gong forward with or without Melo.

SOme of you want to rehash the past. Have at it. Past is not a clear indicator of the future.

Phil knows, like everyone else that in todays CBA you can't max players unless they are Lebron and he knows himself if he wants to have a chance, he has to take a pay cut.

Lets be real for a second, Its doubtful we "Contend" on a real basis next year but we missed the playoffs by one game and last year won 54 games so the talent is there. The man knows we can go a round or two in the playoffs if he can get the bone heads to play in a system. We all know Woodson is a nice guy and was a back up plan for MDA from the moment he signed on as an assistant.

The kicker is what will we look like in 12 months? Amare, Bargs and Tyson are off the books. Thats 40mil? And we have our pick?
Can we get a euro like Teletovich or Bogo-what-ever that the Nets have stashed and likely can't afford?

PHil got a plan with lots of contengency to contend. We might never win a chip under his watch but contending is the first order.

Sit back, enjoy it and let it happen. No argueing about Gallo is changing the past, or Melo's relationship with Karl is irrelevant.

Did anyone enjoy the press thingy Phil did? When was the last time you saw that? Grunwald? Isiah squirming? Donnies cool start perhaps but then he was silenced! That was cool stuff yesterday. Biytches like Isola feeding fans and y'all eating it like its gospel is annoying.

For all we know Melo has his agenda and the rest is posturing. If whats out there is honest, Melo wants to check the landscape and who got a vision with him involved and for how much money in what city. Phil has to sell his vision of a system, players likley to be rostered over the next two years, and the coach. Melo wants to win next season, have at it. IN Chicago he has DRose and Noah. If healthy and at peak powers a formitable group. Chemistry can he THRIVE with Rose? We don't even know what Rose will look like. No sure thing!

Dwight with his back is not the same player he was in Orlando. He is gettng better but how much? Does Harden and Melo have the type of game that builds chemistry or just piling on talent? Melo in one form or another eat salary that will dilute the bench. Say we get Asik and Lin in return? Houston can't roll with Beverly full time as he is banged up a lot. They might be able to trade Parsons for a PG. But no more Parsons.

On paper its nice and Melo might want that. He then is living in Houston.

Lakers? Sheet, they can sign Melo and go with a core of Melo-Kobe-Nash with no size and will have to run out MDA. They need to pray their ping pong ball works and use that in part to get Kevin Love. Love might not be too happy to be with Kobe and Nash next year, and Kobe for the next three years. Kobe contract is a killer!

Maybe Melo been talking the whole time to angle for a max contract from knicks. He knows Dolan would do that to save his ass. Jimmy got Zen now and the bank not open 24/7.

azamatbagatov

4/24/2014  3:20 PM
fishmike wrote:
azamatbagatov wrote:
fishmike wrote:
azamatbagatov wrote:

agree... and this is why eyeballs and hearts will always trump metrics or anything else. Those are the calls you pay Phil the king's ransom to make. Tough ones...

I believe there is room for both when it comes to player valuation. Metrics\Advanced stats are a tool, one of many (Metrics, Old fashioned scouting, etc) that should be at our disposal. I wouldn't want our front office to rely on any one method 100% of the time.

I agree that we are paying Phil a ton of money to use his experince of being around and part of championship teams to influence our team's decisions going forward. I am sure there will be decisions he will make from his "gut" and I am ok with that.

yellowboy90
Member: #3538

4/24/2014  3:22 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/24/2014  3:23 PM
mreinman wrote:
dk7th wrote:

I looked it up at BRef and in that year, Melo had a WS48 or 160 while Lin was at 140.

Certainly nice to have a PG (Lin) at 140 when your starting PG (Felton) is at .042!!

You are certainly right though about the poorly constructed roster though, especially with 2 of your main cogs being Amare and Felton.

Felton wasn't on the team that year but Toney Douglas, Iman Shumpert, Mike Bibby, and Baron Davis was. So you can't use Felton as an excuse for your agenda. The knicks had all those talented pgs to work with so ha. Where will you find fault with those players. See now that Felton is out of rhe equation you are lost. You can't tell me Douglas, Bibby, Shump, and Davis don't scare people.

Oh wait, Toney DOuglas had a freakin negative WS/48! Negative!!!!

Get your facts right before you come with that weak sauce, hoss.

smackeddog
Member: #883
4/24/2014  3:27 PM
We're rebuilding, but you have to be realistic- we're pretty much stuck with this roster for next season- only movable guys are Tyson and Melo.
mreinman

4/24/2014  3:28 PM
Nalod wrote:The man said we are gong forward with or without Melo.

SOme of you want to rehash the past. Have at it. Past is not a clear indicator of the future.

Phil knows, like everyone else that in todays CBA you can't max players unless they are Lebron and he knows himself if he wants to have a chance, he has to take a pay cut.

Lets be real for a second, Its doubtful we "Contend" on a real basis next year but we missed the playoffs by one game and last year won 54 games so the talent is there. The man knows we can go a round or two in the playoffs if he can get the bone heads to play in a system. We all know Woodson is a nice guy and was a back up plan for MDA from the moment he signed on as an assistant.

The kicker is what will we look like in 12 months? Amare, Bargs and Tyson are off the books. Thats 40mil? And we have our pick?
Can we get a euro like Teletovich or Bogo-what-ever that the Nets have stashed and likely can't afford?

PHil got a plan with lots of contengency to contend. We might never win a chip under his watch but contending is the first order.

Sit back, enjoy it and let it happen. No argueing about Gallo is changing the past, or Melo's relationship with Karl is irrelevant.

Did anyone enjoy the press thingy Phil did? When was the last time you saw that? Grunwald? Isiah squirming? Donnies cool start perhaps but then he was silenced! That was cool stuff yesterday. Biytches like Isola feeding fans and y'all eating it like its gospel is annoying.

For all we know Melo has his agenda and the rest is posturing. If whats out there is honest, Melo wants to check the landscape and who got a vision with him involved and for how much money in what city. Phil has to sell his vision of a system, players likley to be rostered over the next two years, and the coach. Melo wants to win next season, have at it. IN Chicago he has DRose and Noah. If healthy and at peak powers a formitable group. Chemistry can he THRIVE with Rose? We don't even know what Rose will look like. No sure thing!

Dwight with his back is not the same player he was in Orlando. He is gettng better but how much? Does Harden and Melo have the type of game that builds chemistry or just piling on talent? Melo in one form or another eat salary that will dilute the bench. Say we get Asik and Lin in return? Houston can't roll with Beverly full time as he is banged up a lot. They might be able to trade Parsons for a PG. But no more Parsons.

On paper its nice and Melo might want that. He then is living in Houston.

Lakers? Sheet, they can sign Melo and go with a core of Melo-Kobe-Nash with no size and will have to run out MDA. They need to pray their ping pong ball works and use that in part to get Kevin Love. Love might not be too happy to be with Kobe and Nash next year, and Kobe for the next three years. Kobe contract is a killer!

Maybe Melo been talking the whole time to angle for a max contract from knicks. He knows Dolan would do that to save his ass. Jimmy got Zen now and the bank not open 24/7.

it seems that Bron knows that he is a max guy and wants to take less money to win.

Melo seems to need the max money to prove to himself and everyone else that he is a max player.

I sure hope I am wrong and that he takes less. If he signs for the max here and we lose and/or are capped out and handcuffed, he will get eaten alive in NY.

mreinman

4/24/2014  3:33 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
dk7th wrote:

Felton wasn't on the team that year but Toney Douglas, Iman Shumpert, Mike Bibby, and Baron Davis was. So you can't use Felton as an excuse for your agenda. The knicks had all those talented pgs to work with so ha. Where will you find fault with those players. See now that Felton is out of rhe equation you are lost. You can't tell me Douglas, Bibby, Shump, and Davis don't scare people.

Oh wait, Toney DOuglas had a freakin negative WS/48! Negative!!!!

Get your facts right before you come with that weak sauce, hoss.

Douglass, Felton ... same sh1t

You had to bring up bad memories? BD who has always been awful yet many posters were in love with him (for no good reason) could not even get the ball up the court in Miami. That is how bad he was. What a disaster.

And 90 y/o bibby. He WAS a great shooter (in sacramento). His WS48 was at least not negative (061 - YAY!!).

Than people actually wonder why/how Melo played well with a player of CB's caliber and efficiency.

fishmike
USA
4/24/2014  3:35 PM
azamatbagatov wrote:
fishmike wrote:
azamatbagatov wrote:
fishmike wrote:
azamatbagatov wrote:

I believe there is room for both when it comes to player valuation. Metrics\Advanced stats are a tool, one of many (Metrics, Old fashioned scouting, etc) that should be at our disposal. I wouldn't want our front office to rely on any one method 100% of the time.

I agree that we are paying Phil a ton of money to use his experince of being around and part of championship teams to influence our team's decisions going forward. I am sure there will be decisions he will make from his "gut" and I am ok with that.

what would you say Phil's #1 skill is? Its getting talented people with huge egos to work together. You can say he had Shaq/Kobe and they were 2/5 of the top five NBA players for sure, but they also hated each other. Phil's here to get a currently expensive roster to play well together. Then he's here to keep future expensive rosters to play together.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/24/2014  4:25 PM
Phil had many offers to work in other cities. From what I read if the Kings moved to seattle he was going to run that franchise. This dude would not come to work for an azz like Dolan if he could not make bank, have control, feel there was a decent shot of succeeding.

So I have my faith in who and what he does.

We don't know what the plan/contigencies are. Or at least I don't and some pretend to know.

azamatbagatov

4/24/2014  4:40 PM
fishmike wrote:
azamatbagatov wrote:
fishmike wrote:
azamatbagatov wrote:
fishmike wrote:
azamatbagatov wrote:

what would you say Phil's #1 skill is? Its getting talented people with huge egos to work together. You can say he had Shaq/Kobe and they were 2/5 of the top five NBA players for sure, but they also hated each other. Phil's here to get a currently expensive roster to play well together. Then he's here to keep future expensive rosters to play together.

I agree with that; but that is his #1 skill while on the bench. We will be learning what his top skills from the board room are as we go. Should be an interesting off-season. Can't wait for it to start

gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
4/24/2014  4:45 PM
Things panned out pretty well for Riley in the front office
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
4/24/2014  4:54 PM
The Plan is to have a team that plays TEAM BB. It's simple really. He's gonna change the culture. Emphasize fundamentals and team concepts. No more just winging it and going ISO. If Melo doesn't stay, then the plan is still the same underneath. Build the character of the franchise and look to draft and sign better talent. Losing Melo doesn't stop the plan IMO. It just changes the options and needs.

We already see that you can have a playoff team without a top 10 player. There's more to winning than just having one of the elite players. Sure you want to have one or two cuz it makes it easier, but the team minus that top tier talent should know how to function at a high level and that's the basics of what Phil is bringing. Washington is playing well. They have some good young talent and are well coached. They're not great but it's a small example of what you can do with less talent, but a strong organization and coaching staff. We've actually got some young talent from the draft and the D League, which for me is the same as the draft. Phil wants to establish sustained winning. That's all that really matters. I want to see this talent after it's been trained in better fundamentals and team BB. Then we'll know what else needs to be done to get to a championship level.

Vmart
Member: #247
USA
4/24/2014  5:13 PM
Rebuild will be decided by Melo. If he stays the Knicks try and add pieces to go with him. If he leaves I think the Knicks go into a short rebuild mode ensuring a high draft choice.
think Phil is rebuilding? Suprised nobody mentioned this comment:

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy