[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Should We Have Traded For Joe Johnson?
Author Thread
NardDogNation
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #5555

4/24/2014  1:19 AM
I'm just curious, considering his recent play and all. For most of Melo's tenure here, we've struggled to produce a consistent and reliable sidekick. Given Johnson's versatility, he could've been that guy. What are your thoughts?
AUTOADVERT
mreinman
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3189

4/24/2014  1:34 AM
NardDogNation wrote:I'm just curious, considering his recent play and all. For most of Melo's tenure here, we've struggled to produce a consistent and reliable sidekick. Given Johnson's versatility, he could've been that guy. What are your thoughts?

I hate Joe Johnson and he is/was also a Salbatross.

Did you want him instead of Melo or did you want us to trade for him?

so here is what phil is thinking ....
knickstorrents
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3050
Hong Kong
4/24/2014  1:48 AM
nah, he blows. almost as bad as melo
Rose is not the answer.
mreinman

4/24/2014  1:53 AM
knickstorrents wrote:nah, he blows. almost as bad as melo

Almost as bad? He is not even close. He is worse in every stat - probably why Melo's WS48 is at .170 and Joe Johnson's as a Net is 0.92 (avg is .100)

smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
4/24/2014  3:42 AM
Joe Johnson is on a more talented team than he would have been with us. If you think he could have dragged us to the playoffs with the teams Melo has the last 3 years (taking injuries into account), you're deluding yourself! Plus, terrible contract.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
4/24/2014  7:51 AM
I think we definitely would've been much better off had we signed Johnson instead of Amare than added Melo
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/24/2014  9:04 AM

Joe would have come at a much lower cost via trade than did Melo. Is that "better", I don't know really. Who would have been traded instead? Also, could we have used those remaining assets not just to keep, but could they have been used in smaller deals?

Its not just Melo or JJ, its got more moving pieces. Good question, I just can't piece all the what ifs. Common thought is if we did not trade for Melo we'd still have every player three years later. I doubt that.

NardDogNation

4/24/2014  10:26 AM
mreinman wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:I'm just curious, considering his recent play and all. For most of Melo's tenure here, we've struggled to produce a consistent and reliable sidekick. Given Johnson's versatility, he could've been that guy. What are your thoughts?

I hate Joe Johnson and he is/was also a Salbatross.

Did you want him instead of Melo or did you want us to trade for him?

I see Johnson as being an excellent sidekick for Melo. Yes, his contract sucks but at least he is able to perform on his $20 million/yr contract (unlike A'mare). The idea of trading for him back during the 2012-2013 season was floated about briefly on the board, which I hated at the time. In retrospect, I would've given it more thought given our need for talent and an individual that could create for others.

NardDogNation

4/24/2014  10:27 AM

Melo, the same dude that aspiring contenders (with impeccable reputations) are trying to get him?

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/24/2014  10:49 AM
NardDogNation wrote:

Melo, the same dude that aspiring contenders (with impeccable reputations) are trying to get him?

We don't that until it happens. We don't know what chicago does nor Houston does. Looks like Rockets are in a bit of a hole down 0-2 at home to POrtland. While its not Dwight, and its not just Harden but if you looking at one and done disappointments maybe bringing in Melo, who knows plenty about that is a good idea?

Thats not fair, nor slaming McHale who was instumental in getting Dwight to come to Houstan. Sometimes its not how bad you play, but how good the other team plays.

Im sure we can just blame Lin!

jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
4/24/2014  11:05 AM
Nalod wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:

We don't that until it happens. We don't know what chicago does nor Houston does. Looks like Rockets are in a bit of a hole down 0-2 at home to POrtland. While its not Dwight, and its not just Harden but if you looking at one and done disappointments maybe bringing in Melo, who knows plenty about that is a good idea?

Thats not fair, nor slaming McHale who was instumental in getting Dwight to come to Houstan. Sometimes its not how bad you play, but how good the other team plays.

Im sure we can just blame Lin!

"we"? By golly, Lin missed a playoff game! What were the chances of that happening?

jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
4/24/2014  11:09 AM
gunsnewing wrote:I think we definitely would've been much better off had we signed Johnson instead of Amare than added Melo

At least we're not discussing trading for PP and KG...

tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
4/24/2014  11:30 AM

he is actually more of a clutch player, but for what he is getting paid, no thanks.. Atlanta got rid of him and they are still basically the same playoff team, maybe even more cohesive.. nothing against joe at all, but this is one of the problems I have with the NBA and max deals, guys like joe and carmelo should never get them..

Joe is a good guy, a good player, just not a max player, and has a ridiculous deal.. would I take joe for a lot less money, and I mean a lot less? of course, but not to play with carmelo... I do think he and amare may have been a better fit tho..

Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
tkf
4/24/2014  11:31 AM
gunsnewing wrote:I think we definitely would've been much better off had we signed Johnson instead of Amare than added Melo

I actually think Joe and amare would have been a better pairing.. not great, but better.. at least not oil and water.... joe can actually play some PG..

Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
tkf
4/24/2014  11:32 AM
NardDogNation wrote:

where are you getting your information from?

gunsnewing
USA
4/24/2014  11:36 AM
tkf wrote:

I actually think Joe and amare would have been a better pairing.. not great, but better.. at least not oil and water.... joe can actually play some PG..

Amare is damaged goods. Talent level goes up with Melo & Joe. There games would compliment better than Amare. As it turned out this Melo/Amare era has been a HUGE disappointment.

gunsnewing
USA
4/24/2014  11:39 AM
It's what I like about the Nyets. End of game who do you guard closely pierce, Johnson or Dwill? Answer is none because one of them will make you pay
tkf
4/24/2014  11:49 AM
gunsnewing wrote:
tkf wrote:

Amare is damaged goods. Talent level goes up with Melo & Joe. There games would compliment better than Amare. As it turned out this Melo/Amare era has been a HUGE disappointment.

well I am assuming a healthy amare, as we would have acquired both in the same year.. a damaged goods amare would not be good with anyone pretty much..

Joe and carmelo are both ball stoppers, maybe joe to a lesser extent.. but there is no compliment there.. I am sorry guns, but i have yet to find a player that plays well with carmelo outside of billups, maybe that is why GM's have had such a hard time building around this guy.... the next route would be to try a different approach... joe is playing a role now that fits him, just makes way too much.. carmelo should be playing a similar role, but good luck getting that to happen...

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
4/24/2014  12:10 PM
tkf wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:
tkf wrote:

well I am assuming a healthy amare, as we would have acquired both in the same year.. a damaged goods amare would not be good with anyone pretty much..

Joe and carmelo are both ball stoppers, maybe joe to a lesser extent.. but there is no compliment there.. I am sorry guns, but i have yet to find a player that plays well with carmelo outside of billups, maybe that is why GM's have had such a hard time building around this guy.... the next route would be to try a different approach... joe is playing a role now that fits him, just makes way too much.. carmelo should be playing a similar role, but good luck getting that to happen...

again.. you named the best player Melo played with and what happened? Success and a deep playoff run. Joe Johnson.. good stats, max player nothing but first round flame outs. Until.... yes, thats right, HIS SUPPORTING CAST IMPROVED. Of course you cant see MElo making the adjustments the many other guys in his situation have made. Because your only capable of spewing hate in any discussion here so its a big yawn. Joe Johnson. Kevin Garnett. We say it with Sprewell. Takes more than one guy to win.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
mreinman

4/24/2014  12:12 PM
tkf wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:
tkf wrote:

Ok ... so now you are getting used to the fact that Billups played well with Melo (slowly lying a kicking child you are learning, I can see that in your posts. Now you are even (though wrongly) talk about efficiency. Kudo to you, and I respect you trying to grow.

Let me give you another piece of info. DYK that your boy Iverson had his most efficient years in Denver?

There are many players that played well with Melo even though he has Koby-Chuck-Itis.

You can't just say things that other people say and just corrupt their meaning and intent.

Should We Have Traded For Joe Johnson?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy