Phil's Wednesday Press conference
Author Thread
mreinman
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3189

4/23/2014  7:10 PM
fishmike wrote:
toad wrote:
fishmike wrote:question about MElo... you guys sure he didnt mean we are fortunate to have him at less, or fortunate to have him at the max? Meaning so long as he signs we are fortunate? You guys sure he was saying less or goodbye? I didnt think it was that clear

Here's what he said about it:

"There are some obvious examples that are out there that everybody can point to," Jackson said. "Tim Duncan making the salary he's making after being part of a dynasty — not a dynasty, I wouldn't call San Antonio a dynasty — a force, a great force. They haven't been able to win consecutive championships, but they've always been there. San Antonio has had a wonderful run through Tim's tenure there as a player, and he's agreed to take a salary cut so other players can play with him so they can be this good. And that's the beginning of team play.

"The group down in Miami agreed to take less money to play together so that's, I think, a precedent that's been set. Because the way things have been structured now financially for teams is that it's really hard to have one or two top stars or max players and to put together a team with enough talent you've got to have people making sacrifices financially. So we hope that Carmelo is true to his word and we understand what it's going to take and we will present that to him at that time."

great recap... thanks.

Guns I agree. I think Melo is a max player and should be paid market value. Great great quotes by Phil regarding Duncan, Miami superfriends, etc

A few things are pretty clear. Phil wants Melo, and wants to be the guy who took a guy with a money player reputation, got him to take less and built a title contender in doing so. Classic passive aggressive zen move.

The $18mm starting point is spot on I think. We will see.

Not sure I get what you wrote.

You think Melo is a max player and you would be ok if Phil paid him the max?

so here is what phil is thinking ....
AUTOADVERT
mreinman

4/23/2014  7:11 PM
babyKnicks wrote:I think, in effect he was asking him to opt in. that would mean no pay cut...$18 million is asking a bunch and we would still be over the cap even taking that cut... opting in is the smart move, then rolling the dice next season is the move I think that phil is asking melo to accept.

No way that Melo opts in barring some really freaky zen trance sh1t.

babyKnicks
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1191
USA
4/23/2014  7:15 PM
mreinman wrote:
babyKnicks wrote:I think, in effect he was asking him to opt in. that would mean no pay cut...$18 million is asking a bunch and we would still be over the cap even taking that cut... opting in is the smart move, then rolling the dice next season is the move I think that phil is asking melo to accept.

we will see, the writing is on the wall...opt out and you will be getting less money in 2014/2015.

Let's go Knicks. That's amare
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
4/23/2014  7:16 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/23/2014  7:17 PM

yea that is clearly whats best for both sides. I'm pretty sure Phil is aware of this. However I dont think anyone in Melo's camp is. They are a little slow. They have til July to catch on

mreinman

4/23/2014  7:17 PM
babyKnicks wrote:
mreinman wrote:

we will see, the writing is on the wall...opt out and you will be getting less money in 2014/2015.

there is no way that a healthy player at 30 who is ready for (another) big pay day would pass that up, even if he takes some type of long term discount.

PresIke
Member: #33
USA
4/23/2014  7:29 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/23/2014  7:42 PM
gunsnewing wrote:I'm waiting on the moment Phil uses his zen on Isola and other media types to put them in their place

imho this press conference was intended to do that.

sorry, i can't hold much credence to articles written by isola about the knicks/dolan (in response to BRIGGS).

he isn't exactly someone i'd consider objective. not that it may not be at least partially true, and sure, maybe dolan doesn't like some of what jackson is doing, but that does not necessarily mean he's meddling. hmm...wonder if any of those at risk for losing their jobs might want to "leak" this story to dolan's favorite reporter (who still couldn't get a question at jackson's initial press conference)?

i think it was effective and the willingness of phil to fight back the day after, as well as address many questions to the media is a good thing.

he answered everything calmly, directly, and cleverly. i don't see the obvious deception that some feel is here.

i am thus far quite happy with him in charge. thank effin' god.

Forum Po Po and #33 for a reason...
PresIke
USA
4/23/2014  7:31 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/23/2014  7:43 PM
oh and steven a smith's comments about how isola is a good reporter and the knicks problem is with the daily news seems hilariously full of journalistic camaraderie bias.

it is all about isola vs. dolan/mills nothing more, nothing less, and all of us can see it.

PresIke
USA
4/23/2014  7:32 PM
mreinman wrote:
holfresh wrote:
mreinman wrote:
holfresh wrote:Jeanie Buss asked him to coach the team last weekend...

I think that may have been a joke (or a zen joke)

Wasn't a joke..I was listening to the interview...He was asked why asked him to do that ..He said she feels that he would have a better chance succeeding in what he was trying to do...He said as of now, he isn't coaching...He didn't close the door..

Yeah - I listened to it. Still thought it may have been tongue and cheek. He loves talking about her.

it was a very dryly told joke to point out how he is OBVIOUSLY not expected to coach the team, but it also did not involve him saying no.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
4/23/2014  7:36 PM
PresIke wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:I'm waiting on the moment Phil uses his zen on Isola and other media types to put them in their place

imho this press conference was intended to do that.

sorry, i can't hold much credence to articles written by isola about the knicks/dolan.

he isn't exactly someone i'd consider objective. not that it may not be at least partially true, and sure, maybe dolan doesn't like some of what jackson is doing, but that does not necessarily mean he's meddling. hmm...wonder if any of those at risk for losing their jobs might want to "leak" this story to dolan's favorite reporter (who still couldn't get a question at jackson's initial press conference)?

i think it was effective and the willingness of phil to fight back the day after, as well as address many questions to the media is a good thing.

he answered everything calmly, directly, and cleverly. i don't see the obvious deception that some feel is here.

i am thus far quite happy with him in charge. thank effin' god.

To be honest i've never been more at peace after a losing season than now. PJax is showing how in control he is and how thoughtful and seriously he's taking this mission. He's not here to be embarrassed. He's not going to be a laughingstock and won't allow this franchise to be as long as he's here.
gunsnewing
USA
4/23/2014  8:02 PM
Watching phils presser on knicksnow.com Man am I giddy! Phil wants to get back to more teamball, more player movement off the ball and activity from all 5 guys. Feels the nba has moved toward toward screen and roll and corner 3(ahem Michael Woodson) far too much and its not the way basketball was intended to be played

Phil is a frickin basketball servant. Arguably even more so than even Riley

I gotta go change my underpants

dk7th
Member: #4228
USA
4/23/2014  8:05 PM
PresIke wrote:
mreinman wrote:
holfresh wrote:
mreinman wrote:
holfresh wrote:Jeanie Buss asked him to coach the team last weekend...

I think that may have been a joke (or a zen joke)

Wasn't a joke..I was listening to the interview...He was asked why asked him to do that ..He said she feels that he would have a better chance succeeding in what he was trying to do...He said as of now, he isn't coaching...He didn't close the door..

Yeah - I listened to it. Still thought it may have been tongue and cheek. He loves talking about her.

it was a very dryly told joke to point out how he is OBVIOUSLY not expected to coach the team, but it also did not involve him saying no.

he is toying with broussard who is an annoying moron. i expect jackson to slice and dice all annoying morons.

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
gunsnewing
USA
4/23/2014  8:09 PM
I can listen to phil speak for hours

Another thing during the exit interviews players were asked what they think went wrong and the common thing was they were not on the same page/

I gotta imagine the exit interview was a lot more productive without woodson there as players were able to freely speak their mind

Phil also asked each player how they feel they can help the team next year

Man I am so excited for Shumpert next year

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
4/23/2014  9:16 PM
I am pretty excited about everything Phil said. What I used to view as smug arrogance I now see as quiet confidence.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
H1AND1
Member: #5648

4/23/2014  9:18 PM
babyKnicks wrote:
mreinman wrote:

Less money in 2014/2015 but a guaranteed deal for 4 years for way more than his 2015/2015 salary. That's why Melo is opting out, I imagine.

holfresh
Member: #1081

4/23/2014  9:22 PM
CrushAlot wrote:I am pretty excited about everything Phil said. What I used to view as smug arrogance I now see as quiet confidence.

It's still smug arrogance ..He took a shot at the Spurs when he didn't need to..He isn't coaching anymore, he is Head of Basketball Operations...

mreinman

4/23/2014  9:24 PM
I agree. Not sure what his point was either.
nyk4ever
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #848
USA
4/23/2014  9:31 PM
gunsnewing wrote:Watching phils presser on knicksnow.com Man am I giddy! Phil wants to get back to more teamball, more player movement off the ball and activity from all 5 guys. Feels the nba has moved toward toward screen and roll and corner 3(ahem Michael Woodson) far too much and its not the way basketball was intended to be played

LOL.. are we talkign axl/slash level giddyness here?

"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
gunsnewing
USA
4/23/2014  9:33 PM
nyk4ever wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:Watching phils presser on knicksnow.com Man am I giddy! Phil wants to get back to more teamball, more player movement off the ball and activity from all 5 guys. Feels the nba has moved toward toward screen and roll and corner 3(ahem Michael Woodson) far too much and its not the way basketball was intended to be played

LOL.. are we talkign axl/slash level giddyness here?

yes!!

gunsnewing
USA
4/23/2014  9:36 PM
CrushAlot wrote:I am pretty excited about everything Phil said. What I used to view as smug arrogance I now see as quiet confidence.

haha so true. Shows how we are clouded sometimes by fandom. I would've sworn by Riley over Phil prior to him joining the Knicks. Now not so much

gunsnewing
USA
4/23/2014  9:37 PM
mreinman wrote:I agree. Not sure what his point was either.

maybe reading it. watching it i didnt get that sense

Phil's Wednesday Press conference

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy