[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Phil's Wednesday Press conference
Author Thread
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
4/23/2014  2:29 PM
nixluva wrote:I like that he has such clear vision for what he wants the team to be and the kind of coaches he wants. IMO "buy in" is extremely important. Phil is gonna try to convince but if someone doesn't want to buy in they will be gone. That's something we haven't had in years. A President and all the way down to the last man on the roster who are all on the same page.

unfortunately the little man up at the top of the food chain is still there.

AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
4/23/2014  2:31 PM
question about MElo... you guys sure he didnt mean we are fortunate to have him at less, or fortunate to have him at the max? Meaning so long as he signs we are fortunate? You guys sure he was saying less or goodbye? I didnt think it was that clear
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
4/23/2014  2:33 PM
Also like I've stated before it really doesn't matter who the coach is if the entire organization is in tune. Whoever the coach is he just has to execute the philosophies of Phil and be an extention of him. It would be great if Phil was 58 not 68 and could get behind the bench but it's probably best he doesn't at this stage. Only way he does is if the coach fails. However it will be short lived m. I don't think the coach fail. After the first 3 game losing streak when the media and fans start calling for the coaches head Phil will talk to the team and get their heads right like Riley does for Spoelstra in Miami
anrst
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1054
USA
4/23/2014  2:33 PM
doesn't really matter what he meant... the media is taking it and running with it as a message that boxes melo into a corner... message delivered, whether he meant it to be open-ended or not. love it.
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
4/23/2014  2:42 PM
anrst wrote:doesn't really matter what he meant... the media is taking it and running with it as a message that boxes melo into a corner... message delivered, whether he meant it to be open-ended or not. love it.

Zen answers. Gotta love em.

holfresh
Member: #1081

4/23/2014  2:49 PM
fishmike wrote:question about MElo... you guys sure he didnt mean we are fortunate to have him at less, or fortunate to have him at the max? Meaning so long as he signs we are fortunate? You guys sure he was saying less or goodbye? I didnt think it was that clear

No he didn't say less or goodbye, the usual crowd heard what they want to hear...Broussard said that Melo has grandfathered-in a max deal for close to 30 mil...He expects Melo to compromise as Melo said he would, to about 18-20 mil per...

gunsnewing
USA
4/23/2014  3:01 PM
^im fine with that if Phil is
holfresh
Member: #1081

4/23/2014  3:05 PM
gunsnewing wrote:^im fine with that if Phil is

Phil or no Phil, I don't think anyone expects the Knicks to pay Melo 30 mil per...

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
4/23/2014  3:11 PM
jrodmc wrote:
nixluva wrote:I like that he has such clear vision for what he wants the team to be and the kind of coaches he wants. IMO "buy in" is extremely important. Phil is gonna try to convince but if someone doesn't want to buy in they will be gone. That's something we haven't had in years. A President and all the way down to the last man on the roster who are all on the same page.

unfortunately the little man up at the top of the food chain is still there.

You need to get out of the past. Dolan won't have an impact on what Phil does the 1st 2 years IMO. Dolan already went on record saying Phil can sign Melo or not, so he can't interfere at this point cuz he actually made that direct statement to the press. If Dolan were to renege he will be castigated in the press much as he has with just this small rumor that he was messing around with Phil already. The old Dolan tricks won't work. He no longer has a spy in the coaching staff and that's a victory in itself.

Dagger
Member: #4184

4/23/2014  3:13 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/23/2014  3:14 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
smackeddog wrote:Phil spoke to the media this morning- here is a video of it:

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/10827868/phil-jackson-president-new-york-knicks-says-james-dolan-keeping-promise

The interesting bits for me:

-denies Isola's piece claiming Dolan won't let him make decisions
- On Melo, says:

Jackson said he hopes Anthony sticks with what he has said in the past about willing to take less money to help give the team more flexibility.
"If it's in the cards, man, are we fortunate," Jackson said. "If it's not in the cards, man, are we fortunate and we're going forward anyway."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/phil-jackson-confirms-steve-kerr-as-knicks-coaching-candidate-1.7800978

So looks like he has zero interest in signing Melo for the max- either he signs for less, or he goes.

-On what he wants from our next coach:

Jackson admitted he’s not looking for a coaching retread and likes that Kerr comes in with an open mind, having never been a head coach, just a general manager with the Phoenix Suns.
“We get caught up in replicating what others do,’’ Jackson said. “I’m not looking for a coach to do that.’’
Jackson said he’s also looking for a coach with “charismatic appeal.’’
“We’re looking for a leader,’’ Jackson said. “Someone who can bring out the best in players. Someone who has a unique ability in encouraging staff to meet needs players have. New York demands a personality, a person fans can believe in, a person who has some confidence and charismatic appeal and has a forward-looking idea about the game.”

http://nypost.com/2014/04/23/phil-jackson-to-check-on-steve-kerrs-desire-to-coach/

-basically told Tyson to pack his bags and prepare to be traded, saying something along the lines of he only wants players who want to be here and want to go in the direction the team is going in, and buy into it 100%. Good riddens!

ahh he did not sound or look top convincing about Dolan not meddling. He made sure to say *basketball decisions* and he looked down when he talked--a sure fire way to know someone might not be completely honest.

I disagree, I thought he answered it the same as any other question and he wasn't really looking down. Also non-verbal communication must be taken with a grain of salt, a "looking down" gesture has different meanings depending on the person using it. For instance, a person in power looking down is not the same as someone with less power looking downward to conceal their feelings. People also look down when they are thinking about what to say or organizing their thought, I think you are chasing shadows.

toad
Member: #4338

4/23/2014  3:13 PM
fishmike wrote:question about MElo... you guys sure he didnt mean we are fortunate to have him at less, or fortunate to have him at the max? Meaning so long as he signs we are fortunate? You guys sure he was saying less or goodbye? I didnt think it was that clear

Here's what he said about it:

"There are some obvious examples that are out there that everybody can point to," Jackson said. "Tim Duncan making the salary he's making after being part of a dynasty — not a dynasty, I wouldn't call San Antonio a dynasty — a force, a great force. They haven't been able to win consecutive championships, but they've always been there. San Antonio has had a wonderful run through Tim's tenure there as a player, and he's agreed to take a salary cut so other players can play with him so they can be this good. And that's the beginning of team play.

"The group down in Miami agreed to take less money to play together so that's, I think, a precedent that's been set. Because the way things have been structured now financially for teams is that it's really hard to have one or two top stars or max players and to put together a team with enough talent you've got to have people making sacrifices financially. So we hope that Carmelo is true to his word and we understand what it's going to take and we will present that to him at that time."

gunsnewing
USA
4/23/2014  3:19 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/23/2014  3:20 PM
^nice

Melo is a chess player. Phil making his moves. What's your move Melo?

Finally someon who understands cap in sports

mreinman
Member: #3189

4/23/2014  3:23 PM
gunsnewing wrote:^nice

Melo is a chess player. Phil making his moves. What's your move Melo?

Checkers

so here is what phil is thinking ....
gunsnewing
USA
4/23/2014  3:36 PM
Anyone have kerr's comments on Melo over the years ?
knicks1248
Member: #582
4/23/2014  3:52 PM
holfresh wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:^im fine with that if Phil is

Phil or no Phil, I don't think anyone expects the Knicks to pay Melo 30 mil per...

melo knows thats not going to get him a ring, he clearly looks at duncan, wade and lbj and realize what it takes.

even before phil set foot in MSG melo said he is not interested in a max contract

ES
yellowboy90
Member: #3538

4/23/2014  5:29 PM
toad wrote:

"There are some obvious examples that are out there that everybody can point to," Jackson said. "Tim Duncan making the salary he's making after being part of a dynasty — not a dynasty, I wouldn't call San Antonio a dynasty — a force, a great force. They haven't been able to win consecutive championships, but they've always been there. San Antonio has had a wonderful run through Tim's tenure there as a player, and he's agreed to take a salary cut so other players can play with him so they can be this good. And that's the beginning of team play.

"The group down in Miami agreed to take less money to play together so that's, I think, a precedent that's been set. Because the way things have been structured now financially for teams is that it's really hard to have one or two top stars or max players and to put together a team with enough talent you've got to have people making sacrifices financially. So we hope that Carmelo is true to his word and we understand what it's going to take and we will present that to him at that time."

I don't like this because it could be taken as a shot. Phil and the Spurs already have some bad blood so there is no need to say anything that could be perceived as a slight. HE is not a coach anymore so he needs to be a little more diplomatic since he will be trying to make deals with SA.

mreinman
Member: #3189

4/23/2014  6:44 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:
toad wrote:

I don't like this because it could be taken as a shot. Phil and the Spurs already have some bad blood so there is no need to say anything that could be perceived as a slight. HE is not a coach anymore so he needs to be a little more diplomatic since he will be trying to make deals with SA.

Phil does not really know how to be diplomatic. He loves the needles.

so here is what phil is thinking ....
dk7th
Member: #4228
USA
4/23/2014  6:45 PM
the best part of the press conference was his pause and breath when asked about "wooing" carmelo anthony from a local sports reporter whose voice i recognized but whose name escapes me. you can see from jackson's reaction that he has no interest in giving this melo the primadonna treatment. also "if it's in the cards we are fortunate; if it's not in the cards we are fortunate." this is GREAT!
knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
4/23/2014  6:56 PM
toad wrote:

great recap... thanks.

Guns I agree. I think Melo is a max player and should be paid market value. Great great quotes by Phil regarding Duncan, Miami superfriends, etc

A few things are pretty clear. Phil wants Melo, and wants to be the guy who took a guy with a money player reputation, got him to take less and built a title contender in doing so. Classic passive aggressive zen move.

The $18mm starting point is spot on I think. We will see.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
babyKnicks
Member: #1191
USA
4/23/2014  7:07 PM
I think, in effect he was asking him to opt in. that would mean no pay cut...$18 million is asking a bunch and we would still be over the cap even taking that cut... opting in is the smart move, then rolling the dice next season is the move I think that phil is asking melo to accept.
Let's go Knicks. That's amare
Phil's Wednesday Press conference

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy