[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

2 things: Ron Harper & Dolan-Phil at odds on firing entire coaching staff
Author Thread
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
4/23/2014  7:53 AM    LAST EDITED: 4/23/2014  8:27 AM
Ron Harper like Kerr expects to be interviewed. He is coaching in Wayne NJ. Always had a rep for being a heady player. Ron was certainly in the thick of things with the triangle and the bulls and had a bigger role than Kerr. I'm cool with either guy

Other story is Dolan and Phil are at odds over firing the entire coaching staff. I'm assuming over Herb. Not good IMO opinion and the seeds for a Larry Brown like revolt might be planted. If anyone is kept let it be Dave Hopla who has very little ties to Dolan and Woodson. And JR prigs and Shump have credited him for their improved shooting. More arc higher release

Don't have time to provide links but heard it on Wfan and the guys are trying to get Isola to come on. Feel free to post links

Thoughts?

AUTOADVERT
gunsnewing
USA
4/23/2014  7:56 AM    LAST EDITED: 4/23/2014  7:57 AM
Found it. On the homepage duh! You guys on top of it

Knicks owner James Dolan tries to stop Phil Jackson's staff firings: source

Daily News back page for April 23, 2014.
People who know Jackson claim he is well-aware of the pattern of losing at the Garden and is committed to turning the Knicks from a laughingstock franchise into model club.

When Pat Riley assumed control of the Miami Heat, he kept some employees and got rid of others. Three titles later, Miami has become one of the NBA’s top organizations. Jackson, who knows more about winning and the great tradition of the Knicks than Dolan will ever know, deserves the chance to put his imprint on the club.

“There are a lot of good people at the Garden and a lot of good people that travel with the team, but if Phil wants to start fresh why wouldn’t you allow him to do that?” said one Knicks employee.

Dolan’s interference could be a troubling sign for Steve Kerr, who is considered the frontrunner to become the Knicks’ head coach. The Daily News reported on Tuesday that Kerr has concerns over the inner workings of the organization, which has become a graveyard for accomplished coaches. Hall of Famers Lenny Wilkens and Larry Brown didn’t last more than one season under Dolan.

Last month, Jackson admitted that he would not have taken the job without the guarantee that he had complete control of the basketball operations. But in less than six weeks, it appears that Dolan has shattered his own world record for meddling.

Despite all those championship rings Jackson owns, he may have met his match in Dolan, who famously said last month he is by no means “a basketball expert.” He is, of course, a stubborn bully who always gets his way at the Garden. Just look at Dolan’s history; he has the dysfunction and losses to prove it.

Author:
FRANK ISOLA

gunsnewing
USA
4/23/2014  8:00 AM
Ron Harper also expecting Knicks interview
By Marc Berman
April 22, 2014 | 9:00pm

Modal Trigger

Ron Harper, who played for Phil Jackson on the Chicago Bulls, also thinks he will interview for the position of head coach for the New York Knicks.
Photo: Getty Images
One day after Steve Kerr said he “anticipates” speaking to Phil Jackson about the Knicks head-coaching job, Ron Harper told The Post he believes he will interview for a position with the Knicks, as well.
Harper won NBA five titles under Jackson as a combo guard, playing five seasons in Chicago for the new Knicks team president and two seasons with the Lakers. He was also a teammate of Kerr’s in Chicago and Cleveland.
Harper said he has texted with Jackson a few times since he got the Knicks job.
“I would expect so,” Harper said of interviewing for a coaching job. “A few guys are expecting to hear from him. We’re in a wait-and-see mode. Whatever he needs me to do, I will do. He knows that.”
Harper, who lives in Wayne, N.J., works part-time for the NBA doing overseas camps and also helps run a basketball program called Overtime Sports in New Jersey. He was a Pistons assistant coach under Flip Saunders for two seasons in the mid-2000s after playing 15 seasons in the NBA. But he hasn’t been an NBA coach since 2007.
“One thing Phil wants to do is teach what he knows and teach the triangle,” Harper said. “I know it like the back of my hand, inside out, and he knows I love the game.”
Kerr is the leading candidate to replace Mike Woodson, who was fired Monday. There have been a handful of former Jackson players mentioned as potential candidates for the open head coach and assistant positions.
“Phil’s a smart guy,” Harper said. “When you’re president, you try to bring in guys who are close to you. Phil’s got a game plan and only he knows it. We’ll wait and see.”
The triangle is considered too complicated for many coaches to install, but Harper disagrees.
“It’s not hard, it’s just getting five guys on the same page,” Harper said. “You just got to have guys who understand what their roles are, are very good passers, very smart and are interchangeable.”
Will Carmelo Anthony fit in well to the new geometry?
“I definitely think he’s very smart, with a high basketball IQ,” Harper said. “I think it’s been tough for him seeing him get it so far away from the hoop and having to go through two, three, four guys. This way he can be more one-on-one.”
Harper took in five games at the Garden this season and saw the Knicks’ late-game travails, with Anthony often the culprit.
“The triangle is really good for the final four minutes,” Harper said. “They lost a lot of close games where you’d say: ‘What was that play called?’
“One thing about Phil, he will put his stamp on New York basketball. It’ll be hard to do it this summer with the salary cap and no draft picks but in a year or two, when they’re under the cap it will happen.”
Kerr will call the Nets-Raptors game Sunday for TNT, so he’ll be in the city then to potentially meet with Jackson. There have been reports that though Kerr wants to coach the Knicks next season, he would prefer a West Coast team. But will there be a vacancy?
Kerr lives in San Diego and the Lakers should have a job opportunity with Mike D’Antoni on thin ice. However, it seems unlikely Lakers president Jeanie Buss will try to steal Kerr from her fiancée, Jackson. If Mark Jackson gets the Warriors past the Clippers in the first round, it would seem hard to imagine he would be fired. That series is 1-1.
Nevertheless, a Kerr confidant said he probably would listen to other teams, but Jackson stands as clear favorite for Kerr’s services.
“One thing you want to look into is whether Kerr would fully be on board with being away from his family in San Diego,” one NBA source said. “I know even when he ran Phoenix, he many times went back and forth between Phoenix and San Diego and even recently has had trepidations about going back into the NBA because of wanting to spend time with his family.”

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/23/2014  8:39 AM

Herb "Donnie Brasco" Williams will get promoted.

I like the loyalty thing about Dolan but a deal is a deal. HOw much of a stink he made is not known as Isola tends to blow things out of proportion given his exile.

If Kerr is concerned about how coaches are treated he should. He has to know it will end badly for him, but he'll have been paid very well for his trouble. 12mil for a 4 year deal, and likely only have to work 3 of them is not bad scratch.

gunsnewing
USA
4/23/2014  9:50 AM
I just hope Dolan sticks to his word and doesn't meddle. Have herb be assistant coach on the dleague team
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
4/23/2014  10:06 AM
I don't normally buy Isola's full rendition of events, but one fact is known: even if Dolan put up a fight on the issue, Phil won.
holfresh
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1081

4/23/2014  11:26 AM
gunsnewing wrote:Ron Harper like Kerr expects to be interviewed. He is coaching in Wayne NJ. Always had a rep for being a heady player. Ron was certainly in the thick of things with the triangle and the bulls and had a bigger role than Kerr. I'm cool with either guy

Other story is Dolan and Phil are at odds over firing the entire coaching staff. I'm assuming over Herb. Not good IMO opinion and the seeds for a Larry Brown like revolt might be planted. If anyone is kept let it be Dave Hopla who has very little ties to Dolan and Woodson. And JR prigs and Shump have credited him for their improved shooting. More arc higher release

Don't have time to provide links but heard it on Wfan and the guys are trying to get Isola to come on. Feel free to post links

Thoughts?

Ron Harper severely stutters..

gunsnewing
USA
4/23/2014  11:33 AM
Wondering if this Isola article helps Phil and keeps Dolan from meddling or does Phil also turn against the Daily News. It probably would behove the daily news to get on Phil's good side. Or maybe Phil takes this as see Dolan stay out of the way
NardDogNation
Member: #5555

4/23/2014  11:46 AM    LAST EDITED: 4/23/2014  11:47 AM
holfresh wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:Ron Harper like Kerr expects to be interviewed. He is coaching in Wayne NJ. Always had a rep for being a heady player. Ron was certainly in the thick of things with the triangle and the bulls and had a bigger role than Kerr. I'm cool with either guy

Thoughts?

I didn't want to be the first a**hole that said it so I'm glad you stepped up to the plate, lol. I couldn't imagine him communicating a play in the 4th quarter with 5 seconds left, while on a 30 second timeout.

NardDogNation

4/23/2014  11:49 AM
What's the over/under for Phil quitting and saying "**** this ****! I'm out" before the season is over? I feel like these stakes should already exist in Vegas.
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
4/23/2014  11:52 AM
You can tell that Phil is dead serious about this job. I think he's much too thoughtful to take a job and not see it through. He took a long time making up his mind before taking this job and during that time I think he worked out in his mind just what he wanted to do with this team. He's got a plan and a method for how he wants to do this.
gunsnewing
USA
4/23/2014  11:58 AM
NardDogNation wrote:
holfresh wrote:

Thoughts?

I didn't want to be the first a**hole that said it so I'm glad you stepped up to the plate, lol. I couldn't imagine him communicating a play in the 4th quarter with 5 seconds left, while on a 30 second timeout.

Yea that scenario can be an issue lol

NardDogNation

4/23/2014  12:04 PM
gunsnewing wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
holfresh wrote:

Thoughts?

Yea that scenario can be an issue lol

LMAO.

NardDogNation

4/23/2014  12:07 PM
nixluva wrote:You can tell that Phil is dead serious about this job. I think he's much too thoughtful to take a job and not see it through. He took a long time making up his mind before taking this job and during that time I think he worked out in his mind just what he wanted to do with this team. He's got a plan and a method for how he wants to do this.

But if the terms of the agreement are changed by Dolan, I'm not sure why Phil would still feel the same. I wouldn't risk my legacy by being overruled by a petulant little **** like James "I'm only something in life because my daddy is a multi-billionaire" Dolan.

yellowboy90
Member: #3538

4/23/2014  12:19 PM
I would like to see reports about other coaching candidates that have not played under Phil. There have to be some coaches he heard good things about.
nixluva
USA
4/23/2014  12:42 PM
Phil is not a stupid man. Far from it. I feel like I really understand him. I take anything I do very seriously and I want to achieve excellence. There's no way i'm going to sacrifice success simply to involve one of my friends if they aren't the right person for the job. Phil wasn't as successful as he was by being that kind of person. He seems to have very loyal former players and coaches and that speaks volumes about his management skills. We haven't had a leader like this in a very long time and I think fans need to be patient and let him do his thing.
JamesLin
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3944
USA
4/23/2014  12:47 PM
nixluva wrote:Phil is not a stupid man. Far from it. I feel like I really understand him. I take anything I do very seriously and I want to achieve excellence. There's no way i'm going to sacrifice success simply to involve one of my friends if they aren't the right person for the job. Phil wasn't as successful as he was by being that kind of person. He seems to have very loyal former players and coaches and that speaks volumes about his management skills. We haven't had a leader like this in a very long time and I think fans need to be patient and let him do his thing.

It's not the fans' patience you need to worry about.. it's Jimmy Dol's patience, which he has none.

Get busy living or get busy dying. ---- Andy Dufresne
gunsnewing
USA
4/23/2014  12:49 PM
He may still add Harper to the staff
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
4/23/2014  12:58 PM
gunsnewing wrote:He may still add Harper to the staff

Derek Fisher is also possible candidate to join the staff after he retires this season.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
nixluva
USA
4/23/2014  1:02 PM
JamesLin wrote:
nixluva wrote:Phil is not a stupid man. Far from it. I feel like I really understand him. I take anything I do very seriously and I want to achieve excellence. There's no way i'm going to sacrifice success simply to involve one of my friends if they aren't the right person for the job. Phil wasn't as successful as he was by being that kind of person. He seems to have very loyal former players and coaches and that speaks volumes about his management skills. We haven't had a leader like this in a very long time and I think fans need to be patient and let him do his thing.

It's not the fans' patience you need to worry about.. it's Jimmy Dol's patience, which he has none.

You're gonna see just how much authority Phil garners after he fills out his staff and hires a coach and they start to implement their program for player development this summer. Dolan will not have any impact on that very important part of how a franchise is run. You'll see what a real leader can do which we haven't seen in over a decade here in NY.

I mean you guys need to at least admit that you can tell when someone is talking BS and when someone is really about it. Phil doesn't give off that air of a man who just wings it or has a very cursory approach to his job. Phil takes a deep and thorough approach and gets all the way down to the mental disposition of everyone on the team and staff. This is another level we haven't seen in NY so I can understand the doubts to some degree. Boys this is something we just haven't had and so people doubt cuz they don't understand a man on this level.

2 things: Ron Harper & Dolan-Phil at odds on firing entire coaching staff

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy