[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Here you go: Melo's exit interview bits from the always reliable Marc Berman
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
4/17/2014  3:28 PM
http://nypost.com/2014/04/17/carmelo-says-he-wants-to-stay-but-doesnt-want-to-rebuild/

Carmelo Anthony said after his exit meeting with Knicks president Phil Jackson he definitely “wants to stay,’’ that the “grass isn’t always greener on the other side,’’ but competing for a title is still the No. 1 priority in his free-agent decision.

Anthony said he spoke with Jackson for 12 minutes and came away extremely impressed with his communication skills, though he admitted Jackson didn’t map out the plan for the franchise yet.

“I want to come back,” Anthony said Thursday at the Tarrytown practice facility. “I want to come back. If me wanting to be here, if we can put ourselves in a position to compete at a high level over the course of five years, whatever that contract will be, I’m willing to stay here. I never once said I wanted to leave. I always said I want to explore options and see what’s out there.”

In a surprising development, Anthony also gave his strongest endorsement this season of lame-duck coach Mike Woodson, saying he’d give him “a recommendation’’ if that’s what it would take for Woodson to return next season.

“Mike Woodson has become a guy I can talk to, almost a father figure, a friend, a guy I can bounce stuff off of,” Anthony said. “I’ve been a guy he’s talked to about multiple things. When that time comes, if it’s ready for me to step up and take the next step, [of answering whether] Mike Woodson needs to stay or go, I don’t think it will come down to that, but I would back him. If he needs my recommendation, here or anywhere else, I’d back him. I have nothing bad to say about Mike Woodson. For me as a player, I had some of my best years under Mike Woodson.’’

Anthony said he enjoyed immensely his conversation with Jackson.

“There was some insight,’’ Anthony said. “Phil always comes with some kind of knowledge. Which is always good. We didn’t get into detail any specifics about anything. We went on a recap of the season. We didn’t get into details about anything specific. His knowledge and wisdom is something I can sit down and listen to all day long. He’s very philosophical. He has a scenario. He has an answer for every scenario. He makes everything clear. Just the way he talks and his delivery and message for me something I can listen to all day.”

Still, Anthony said winning is the only thing.

“At this point of my career, it’s about winning — nothing else really matters,” he said. “That’s not going to change. That’s still going to be my mindset. It is my mindset. That’s going to be my No. 1 thing.’’

Anthony is hoping Jackson’s plan is not to tank next season in preparation for 2015.

“I’m not at a point where I want to rebuild,’’ Anthony said. “If we can work with the pieces we have and Phil brings his knowledge of running a basketball program to this, we can have a lot of talk.’’

Asked about teams that could be closer to a title such as Chicago and Houston, Melo said, “Other teams that’s out there, the best situation, you never know. Sometimes the grass isn’t always greener on the other side.”

Anthony said of missing the playoffs: “It’s embarrassing. For me. I can’t even put that into words. I can’t describe the feeling.’’

He also said he began rehab for his right shoulder labrum tear on Wednesday.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
yellowboy90
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3538

4/17/2014  3:41 PM
To me it seems, Woodson is the good guy coach every player likes personally but dislike his actual coaching ability.
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
4/17/2014  3:50 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:To me it seems, Woodson is the good guy coach every player likes personally but dislike his actual coaching ability.

agree 100%. Kinda same w/ MDA. Good guy, funny to listen too, not a good coach.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
toad
Member: #4338

4/17/2014  3:57 PM
Sounds like Woodson spent all his time playing daddy instead of coaching. Won't miss him.
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
4/17/2014  4:01 PM
toad wrote:Sounds like Woodson spent all his time playing daddy instead of coaching. Won't miss him.

yep....

Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
yellowboy90

4/17/2014  4:02 PM
fishmike wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:To me it seems, Woodson is the good guy coach every player likes personally but dislike his actual coaching ability.

agree 100%. Kinda same w/ MDA. Good guy, funny to listen too, not a good coach.

I think MDA would be an excellent college coach and would make a great ast coach. One thing I would like to see is a study on his system and injuries.
Vmart
Member: #247
USA
4/17/2014  4:06 PM
This is the second player to say I don't want to rebuild. If these players did the job right there would be no f'ing mention of rebuild. Anyways this leads me to think Phil might be considering a rebuild.
JS3
Member: #5692

4/17/2014  4:26 PM
Vmart wrote:This is the second player to say I don't want to rebuild. If these players did the job right there would be no f'ing mention of rebuild. Anyways this leads me to think Phil might be considering a rebuild.

+1

Tyson said he doesn't want a part of a rebuild team, well, sir, we didn't want a C that is a no show at the playoffs and got the flu all the time, go work on some offense.

Melo? not a lot to blame, but not really a leader that demands like Kobe or taking pay cut like Lebron style. Melo is ok with everything, with Woody, with Amare, with Felton, but, doesn't want to rebuild, so take some payoff cut and start willingly to play in a system, move the ball, no excuses(and i hate all the surrounding that he had the last 2 seasons).

if Phil wants to rebuild so be it, but i don't think he will

Dagger
Member: #4184

4/17/2014  4:55 PM
I find it hilarious melo can sit there and say he's all about winning and then give a strong endorsement of Woodson in the same sentence.
Clean
Member: #743
4/17/2014  5:28 PM
I have been gone for a while since I knew the Knicks would treat this this season as a macrocosm of their futile attempts at winning actual games. They will come close in the end but ultimately fail, thus breaking their fans heart more. I happened to read some of the quotes melo said while going about my day and decided to say something. Short sighted melo is looking like it is rearing its ugly head again. The one difference between The Heats big 3 and Melo is that they all saw the big picture and Melo was always short sighted.

The Big 3 conspired to all play together and take less money to be able to form a good team around themselves. What did Melo do? He got a longer contract so to he could get a bigger paycheck. His last year in Denver he could have signed with us in the offseason giving his team more assets to surround him with talent. He was so short sighed that all he could think about was getting the biggest paycheck possible while still playing with the Knicks(Endorsement Money). This thought backfired by giving Denver leverage they should have never had. There is a lot more example of this that I have in my head but I don't feel like putting the effort into listing them all. This team does not deserve my full effort with how badly they performed this year.

Melo is now at another fork in the road in his career and his quotes show me that he is ready to take the short sighted approached again. The gist one quote that sticks out the most is that he is not willing to endure a rebuilding season. He could end up going to the Bulls where they will always without a doubt be in the playoffs or he could endure one bad season with the Knicks and recruit Lebron and some others to be apart of something special in New York. Short sighted Melo will probably make 1 of 2 decisions when the time comes. He will either take a Max contract and handicap our team for years or he will leave for a good team that will always make the playoffs but will probably never win a championship. He always says he wants to win and I believe him. The problem with Melo is that he always takes the short sighted approach.

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
4/17/2014  5:33 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/17/2014  5:33 PM
Dagger wrote:I find it hilarious melo can sit there and say he's all about winning and then give a strong endorsement of Woodson in the same sentence.

He is backing Woodson and many people, including Dolan and Phil understand why he is doing it. That it, he is distancing himself from the coaching situation and does not want to be viewed as playing a part in his firing. If he said "no comment" or did not at least provide a moderate endorsement, everyone in media would interpret it as he wants him fired, and even though its likely the case, he does not want to say anything or not say anything that associates him with the inevidible firing. He's just playing the game.

Dagger

4/17/2014  5:36 PM
Clean wrote:I have been gone for a while since I knew the Knicks would treat this this season as a macrocosm of their futile attempts at winning actual games. They will come close in the end but ultimately fail, thus breaking their fans heart more. I happened to read some of the quotes melo said while going about my day and decided to say something. Short sighted melo is looking like it is rearing its ugly head again. The one difference between The Heats big 3 and Melo is that they all saw the big picture and Melo was always short sighted.

The Big 3 conspired to all play together and take less money to be able to form a good team around themselves. What did Melo do? He got a longer contract so to he could get a bigger paycheck. His last year in Denver he could have signed with us in the offseason giving his team more assets to surround him with talent. He was so short sighed that all he could think about was getting the biggest paycheck possible while still playing with the Knicks(Endorsement Money). This thought backfired by giving Denver leverage they should have never had. There is a lot more example of this that I have in my head but I don't feel like putting the effort into listing them all. This team does not deserve my full effort with how badly they performed this year.

Melo is now at another fork in the road in his career and his quotes show me that he is ready to take the short sighted approached again. The gist one quote that sticks out the most is that he is not willing to endure a rebuilding season. He could end up going to the Bulls where they will always without a doubt be in the playoffs or he could endure one bad season with the Knicks and recruit Lebron and some others to be apart of something special in New York. Short sighted Melo will probably make 1 of 2 decisions when the time comes. He will either take a Max contract and handicap our team for years or he will leave for a good team that will always make the playoffs but will probably never win a championship. He always says he wants to win and I believe him. The problem with Melo is that he always takes the short sighted approach.

Yup, melo wants to win but doesn't have the patience to win.

Dagger

4/17/2014  5:40 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/17/2014  6:00 PM
Knixkik wrote:
Dagger wrote:I find it hilarious melo can sit there and say he's all about winning and then give a strong endorsement of Woodson in the same sentence.

He is backing Woodson and many people, including Dolan and Phil understand why he is doing it. That it, he is distancing himself from the coaching situation and does not want to be viewed as playing a part in his firing. If he said "no comment" or did not at least provide a moderate endorsement, everyone in media would interpret it as he wants him fired, and even though its likely the case, he does not want to say anything or not say anything that associates him with the inevidible firing. He's just playing the game.

I don't think anyone in their right mind thinks melo is the reason Woodson will be fired, so don't think the whole coach killer thing is relevant here. A simple "That's out of my hands, but I have confidence in Mike as a coach" would gave been politically correct without going overboard.

gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
4/17/2014  5:40 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/17/2014  5:43 PM
^yup yup clean and dagger
gunsnewing
USA
4/17/2014  5:42 PM
Melo might very well be the dumbest athlete ever unless you consider Bobo the wrestler an athlete
yellowboy90

4/17/2014  5:52 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/17/2014  5:54 PM
Chris Herring ‏@HerringWSJ 33s

Amare says he realizes that Woodson is under fire, but that he's learned more defensively under Woodson than any coach he's had.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Say whaaaaat?

BigRedDog
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #569
4/17/2014  5:54 PM
Surprised only 12 minute conversation. You would think they had a lot more to say than 12 minutes worth
Briggs-- Frank is 2 yrs away from being 2 years away
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

4/17/2014  5:54 PM
Bomani Jones was on PTI and made an interesting point, all the guys who took less to team up were single at the time. LaLa might not like the idea of leaving NYC and leaving 30 million on the table.
gunsnewing
USA
4/17/2014  5:55 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/17/2014  5:57 PM
^if Woodson didn't stick to the gimmicky switch defense is say he would land another job as a defensive assistant
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

4/17/2014  5:55 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:Chris Herring ‏@HerringWSJ 33s

Amare says he realizes that Woodson is under fire, but that he's learned more defensively under Woodson than any coach he's had.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Say whaaaaat?

Who was his coach for most of his career?

Here you go: Melo's exit interview bits from the always reliable Marc Berman

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy