Author Thread
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
4/24/2014  1:22 PM
holfresh wrote:
fishmike wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:Lin at $8mio would be a lot more valuable to the Knicks than the rockets. There was already a comfort level here. Unfortunately we were too busy "woo'ing" 40yr old Steve Nash

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/houston.htm
Guns... Lin/Asik both sceduled to make 14.9mm next year. They both have higher paydays than Harden

Rockets payroll goes from $57mm to $71mm next year! How in gods name are the Rockets in the running to sign Melo?

They are hoping Phil has a hard-on for Lin and Asik...

Asik and Lin is not the price here. It would be Parsons and picks. Asik and Lin contract is needed to make the trade work. It would really be a no brainer for us if Melo has to go. We get 2 expiring contracts along with Parsons and picks. What is not to like?
AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
4/24/2014  1:23 PM
holfresh wrote:
fishmike wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:Lin at $8mio would be a lot more valuable to the Knicks than the rockets. There was already a comfort level here. Unfortunately we were too busy "woo'ing" 40yr old Steve Nash

Guns... Lin/Asik both sceduled to make 14.9mm next year. They both have higher paydays than Harden

Rockets payroll goes from $57mm to $71mm next year! How in gods name are the Rockets in the running to sign Melo?

hey.. I would say Lin/Parsons/Asik + 2 picks for Melo and Bargs and leave it at that. Being said I dont think even that could happen because Hou is over the luxury threashold so I thought they couldnt sign and trade?
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
NYKBocker
USA
4/24/2014  1:26 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/24/2014  1:28 PM
fishmike wrote:
holfresh wrote:
fishmike wrote:

hey.. I would say Lin/Parsons/Asik + 2 picks for Melo and Bargs and leave it at that. Being said I dont think even that could happen because Hou is over the luxury threashold so I thought they couldnt sign and trade?

as long aas you get the same money back then you can do a trade.

EDIT: Melo for Asik, Lin, Parson, Montijunas and picks works.

fishmike
USA
4/24/2014  1:27 PM
NYKBocker wrote:
holfresh wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Asik and Lin is not the price here. It would be Parsons and picks. Asik and Lin contract is needed to make the trade work. It would really be a no brainer for us if Melo has to go. We get 2 expiring contracts along with Parsons and picks. What is not to like?
yup... you beat me by a minute
fishmike
USA
4/24/2014  1:29 PM
NYKBocker wrote:
fishmike wrote:
holfresh wrote:
fishmike wrote:

I would do that deal. Kills any chance of cap space FA because you have to pay guys. Assuming you want to keep Shump, Parsons, Lin, Asik and all will need to be paid.

However we have seen its poor choice to pay role players when you dont have a star.

mreinman
Member: #3189

4/24/2014  1:43 PM
fishmike wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
fishmike wrote:
holfresh wrote:
fishmike wrote:

I would do that deal. Kills any chance of cap space FA because you have to pay guys. Assuming you want to keep Shump, Parsons, Lin, Asik and all will need to be paid.

However we have seen its poor choice to pay role players when you dont have a star.

But this would allow us flexibility in 2015-16.

Don't see why fans are not willing to let this coming season go.

so here is what phil is thinking ....
holfresh
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1081

4/24/2014  1:44 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/24/2014  1:45 PM
So basically build the .500 team that Houston had prior to Dwight and Harden, with a big hit to cap space, Dolan should love that...
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
4/24/2014  1:49 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/24/2014  1:50 PM
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
fishmike wrote:
holfresh wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Me either. It's like they rather get tied up with bad contracts for another 5yrs again the sacrifice 1yr for years of sustainable contending

mreinman

4/24/2014  1:51 PM
and in that one year, you never know. We can be a 6-8 seed in this awful east.
NYKBocker
USA
4/24/2014  2:07 PM
holfresh wrote:So basically build the .500 team that Houston had prior to Dwight and Harden, with a big hit to cap space, Dolan should love that...

As oppose to the season we just had?

holfresh

4/24/2014  2:27 PM
NYKBocker wrote:
holfresh wrote:So basically build the .500 team that Houston had prior to Dwight and Harden, with a big hit to cap space, Dolan should love that...

Shed the acquisitions brought here to help MDA..Amare and Chandler(37 mil)...

RoyBatty
Member: #3531

4/24/2014  2:31 PM
smackeddog wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:Houston we have a problem. They picked a bad time to go all knicks like late in the game

Houston has zero heart- Harden, Dwight and Parsons- lots of arrogance, skill, but no heart- I find it impossible to root for those guys.

Harden disappeared in the OKC finals, disappeared last year too. I hope he disappears all the way, just because I don't like Morey.

fishmike
USA
4/24/2014  2:35 PM
gunsnewing wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
fishmike wrote:
holfresh wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Me either. It's like they rather get tied up with bad contracts for another 5yrs again the sacrifice 1yr for years of sustainable contending

Guns... Can you elaborate on that? You mention that alot, along with the draft. Is your proposal tank for one year and take a shot at a franchise player then build around that guy? Lay it out there... because I hear alot of lets pass on resigning a HOF player still in his prime for this mystical magical lets contend for a decade scenario, but I dont see the blue print.

Who wouldnt love that? We all want that... but is it a pipedream?

gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
4/24/2014  2:49 PM
fishmike wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
fishmike wrote:
holfresh wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Guns... Can you elaborate on that? You mention that alot, along with the draft. Is your proposal tank for one year and take a shot at a franchise player then build around that guy? Lay it out there... because I hear alot of lets pass on resigning a HOF player still in his prime for this mystical magical lets contend for a decade scenario, but I dont see the blue print.

Who wouldnt love that? We all want that... but is it a pipedream?

Yes as I've been saying for years I rather do that the. Keep doing what the Knicks have been doing the past 15yrs

mreinman

4/24/2014  3:09 PM
holfresh wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:

We don't have that option (other than maybe chandler).

fishmike
USA
4/24/2014  3:11 PM
guns do what? Just let everyone off the books and keep drafting until we get a star? Spell it out... we have no pick this year or in 3 years. One first rounder in the next 3 years. So while I would love to draft a star as much as you whats your complaint?

Build around Melo. He's a HOF player. His impact shows in the win column. He's not enough. We have a 4 year window... build it up and lets see. Who cares about the contracts? In 4 years we are done and the picks are ours. If you want to clean the house for the 2015 FA class OK. Your going to max out Rondo and Kevin Love?

For me I think it would be simple: Resign Melo and trade Chandler/Bargs/Amare this summer or come next trade deadline and get the best talent that fits into Phil's system. Take on the contracts. Who cares. Make a run. If it fails, in 4-5 years when our picks situation is fixed we can switch gears. Now doesnt strike me as the because 1) we dont have picks 2) we have a HOF player in his prime still performing at a high level

So long as we dont give up picks its fine

yellowboy90
Member: #3538

4/24/2014  3:12 PM
tkf wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:Houston we have a problem. They picked a bad time to go all knicks like late in the game

Houston has zero heart- Harden, Dwight and Parsons- lots of arrogance, skill, but no heart- I find it impossible to root for those guys.

why do you put Parsons in there. He is an overachiever at every level.

Also, the blazers have a new school approach and very good offense overall. It's just that Aldridge is inefficient but he has played amazingly so far this series.

you do know he is a career 49% shooter.. care to explain how that is inefficient?

Yes, he is a career 49% shooter in FG% but his FG% has dipped the past two years and despite his FG% his career TS% is 53% which is not efficient. What is worse is that this year his efficiency is at 50%. His shooting game is very Bargnani like. A bunch of inefficient shots shot at an inefficient rate just without the threes. Bargnani is a career 47% shooter from two and has the same 53% TS for his career, big deal. Aldridge saving grace is his rebounding which is at a career high this year. Before this year he avg a little under 8 rebs which is pretty bad for a "big". He also understands defense which is good. He is not that good at it but he does has his moments.

holfresh

4/24/2014  3:21 PM
mreinman wrote:
holfresh wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:

We don't have that option (other than maybe chandler).

They roll off the books next year...

smackeddog
Member: #883
4/24/2014  3:32 PM
tkf wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

really? so let me ask you, did you root for this years knicks? do you think this team had a lot of heart? do you not think this team was arrogant? just asking?

I blasted this team all year for having no heart! That was one of my key gripes about them- z e r o heart. All year I said it's hard to root for these Knicks because they just don't care or compete. They weren't really arrogant though, because they all knew they sucked for most of the season- most players played with zero confidence for long stretches.

smackeddog
Member: #883
4/24/2014  3:33 PM
tkf wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:Aldridge is going all "last year Hibbert" in the playoffs. Efficiency is coming from nowhere. I still scratch my head at some of his shots but every player takes bad shots.

He is just on this series. Don't really care for his rainbow shot selection.

Aldridge is flowing though. I give him credit for having it going on both ends too. He kind of slowed down Howard in the 1st half too.

Let's see what he does for the full playoffs. You are the one who introduced me to his low percentages, I was not even aware how low it was.

Btw, I am trying to find a sight that tracks passes per touches and assist opportunities per touch. NBA.com has them separate (e.g.):

http://stats.nba.com/playerTrackingPassing.html?pageNo=1&rowsPerPage=25&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&sortField=AST_POT&sortOrder=DES&filters=TeamAbbr*E*NYK

and I don't want to do all the dirty work. I have seen these stats before but I can't find them.

Yeah, I know that's why I am surprised but will give credit. It's just two games but if he keeps it up look out. Indy became dominant because Hibbert turned his 49 TS% into a 57 TS%.

Also, if you find those stats post a link for me, Thanks.

I love Aldridge's game, and it's great to see him having a monster series. Rooting for the Blazers- it's old school basketball versus analytics!

you do know portland is one of the NBA teams heavy into advanced stats....

I'm mainly talking about LaMarcus Aldridge- he's been blasted by advanced stats as being not good all year, where as the old eye test says he is a great player. I'm pleased for him.

Official 2013/14 Playoff Thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy