[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Do you think a veteran Roster is the way to go?
Author Thread
VCoug
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1406

4/17/2014  8:41 AM
knicks1248 wrote:Yesterday during the game (i think thats were i saw it) they showed a list of the oldest teams in the league,Ironically the top 6 just happen to be the top teams in the league,with miami having the oldest roster.

That got me thinking about last seasons when the knicks were the oldest team in the league and we won 54 games. It also has me wondering why so many posters want to build through the draft, or get upset when a pick is traded. If you can get a quality veteran for a 1st rnd pick, why wouldn't you do that?

Why draft a player and pray you get a THJ instead of a Balkman, when you can assure your team a proven veteran that will know what to do in certain situatons? It just makes the coaches life easier and winning a lot easier.

I don't know what you mean by "top teams" but I'm not sure how Brooklyn, Dallas, or even Chicago qualifies. And the 7th, 9th, and 11th oldest teams in the league this season are the Knicks, Hawks, and Lakers.

This is not a difficult concept to understand regarding draft picks but I'll explain it again. Nobody here is against against trading picks out of hand; what we're against is giving away draft picks when we don't have to. The most recent example of this is the Andrea ****ing Bargnani trade. He had been in the league for 7 years prior to us trading for him and at no point during those 7 years was he a good NBA player, or even an average one. When they finally decide to get rid of him not only do we stupidly jump at the chance to bring him here but we blow them away by offering a 1st and two 2nds. We should have been able to make that same trade but included only a single 2nd round pick since Toronto was so desperate to dump him.

Now the joy of my world is in Zion How beautiful if nothing more Than to wait at Zion's door I've never been in love like this before Now let me pray to keep you from The perils that will surely come
AUTOADVERT
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
4/17/2014  8:42 AM
fishmike wrote:
dk7th wrote:
fishmike wrote:
dk7th wrote:the key to winning is having guys who are willing defenders, old or young. and your core guys have to be two-way players. then you can build on that. can't have a winner when your core guys are one-way players... that will never win in the playoffs.
except Detroit's leading scorer was Rip Hamilton and they won a title. Not sure if you remember but its yet to be confirmed he guarded anyone that year. Did the Mavs win a title with their best player being called Irk (because there's no D) by his own fans? Didnt Steve Nash win 2 MVPs and take a team with NO Amare to the conference finals? Is he a good defender?

Sure... defense is good. Its important. Some players are really good at it. There are other parts of the game, and incase your not sure the winner/loser is determined by the SCORE. Just making sure your aware of that...

hamilton was a decent defender. rangy and good lateral quickness, which is the counterpart to good offensive footwork, and hamilton's footwork on offense was topnotch elite. always squared up no matter where he was. most importantly, however, he was a positive contributor to offensive cohesion. not sure using detroit is a good example. who was the two or three core players? they were balanced and deep.

dirk became a better offensive player as a passer and low post player and that helped make him more of a positive-sum player for his team. his defense was not that bad but he was a great offensive force.

spoken like someone who didnt watch a minute of either. But keep telling yourself that. Its cute. We all enjoy it

You mean we didn't pay market value in the trade? How much do most teams have to give up to get a top 3 MVP candidate?
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
4/17/2014  8:50 AM
fishmike wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
fishmike wrote:balance... the old teams also have young guys. Perfect example is SA. Whether its Blair, Neal, whoever... they always seem to have an infusion of youth and fresh legs to go with the old guys. Thats the way to do it.
Cant compare San Antonio to New York. The spurs have been one of best run organizations since the late 90's and the Knicks well...havent been
I wouldnt dare compare! rather look at SA as a blueprint for success. Obviously they aquired their big 3 through the draft but with incredible luck. Luck aside they consistantly draft guys who can come in and play a role. Knicks had some moments.. Tony Douglas, Landry Fields, this year THjr... they just need to do it more.

Duncan was luck - Ginóbili and Parker were skilled eyes for talent.

misterearl
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #799
USA
4/17/2014  8:55 AM
Which Way Is Up?

The way to go is to find a point guard who can compete with Damaian Lillard.

The way to go is to run a fast break with a purpose.

Hit the open man.

once a knick always a knick
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
4/17/2014  8:59 AM
its not veterens vs. rookies/youth.

its a question of TALENT, and then leadership!

I think the question the front office has to face is this

Are we falling into the same trap we did after our last title run, where management keeps thinking we're 'just one player away' from returning to prior glory?

Yes, this squad largely won 54 games last year, and this year, showed promise when clicking to win 15 of the last 20 against many quality opponents.

This is why a coaching change mid year would have, imho, helped immensely from the stand point of knowing whether we have the talent to win.

I hesitate to do a Chandler for Tyreke Evans trade- I just don't think we're one piece away, and we need a reset and rebuild, not a tweak.

If I could, I'd keep THjr, Shump, Murray, Tyler & Aldrich, jettison the rest and stock up on as many young players as I could and hope that with a new coach and a system, I could start building the fundamentals of a champion. Hope like all heck to land a top pick next year, and with cap space, spend wisely and only sign guys that are going to contribute to the success of the system, but not spend just to spend (like with Amar'e to an extent).

jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
4/17/2014  11:42 AM
When healthy, this team had the talent. Leadership? From where?

How about consistency?
How many starting 5's did we go through?

Switching worked during some runs, switching didn't work when it didn't and sure looked uglier.

Veterans broke down.
Yoots hit slumps or get hurt alot quicker/more seriously.

We need to get some sort of consistency, at least and most importantly on the defensive end. This should not be brain surgery.

Some days, you hit shots. Just ask Cole Aldrich.

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
4/17/2014  12:10 PM
VCoug wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:Yesterday during the game (i think thats were i saw it) they showed a list of the oldest teams in the league,Ironically the top 6 just happen to be the top teams in the league,with miami having the oldest roster.

That got me thinking about last seasons when the knicks were the oldest team in the league and we won 54 games. It also has me wondering why so many posters want to build through the draft, or get upset when a pick is traded. If you can get a quality veteran for a 1st rnd pick, why wouldn't you do that?

Why draft a player and pray you get a THJ instead of a Balkman, when you can assure your team a proven veteran that will know what to do in certain situatons? It just makes the coaches life easier and winning a lot easier.

I don't know what you mean by "top teams" but I'm not sure how Brooklyn, Dallas, or even Chicago qualifies. And the 7th, 9th, and 11th oldest teams in the league this season are the Knicks, Hawks, and Lakers.

This is not a difficult concept to understand regarding draft picks but I'll explain it again. Nobody here is against against trading picks out of hand; what we're against is giving away draft picks when we don't have to. The most recent example of this is the Andrea ****ing Bargnani trade. He had been in the league for 7 years prior to us trading for him and at no point during those 7 years was he a good NBA player, or even an average one. When they finally decide to get rid of him not only do we stupidly jump at the chance to bring him here but we blow them away by offering a 1st and two 2nds. We should have been able to make that same trade but included only a single 2nd round pick since Toronto was so desperate to dump him.

You a have a valid point, but it's not far fetch to think Barg would not have been a perfect fit in this system. With woodsons infatuation of playing big, spreadin the floor, and PnR offensive, Bargs acquisition seem like a ace in the hole.

FO does have an issue with when to give away picks, but I won't argue the picks they gave to denver, that pick should have been in the late 20's. This team should have one no less then 49 games this season.

ES
Do you think a veteran Roster is the way to go?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy