Melo MRI: tear in right labrum
Author Thread
dk7th
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #4228
USA
4/15/2014  8:21 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
nixluva wrote:Maybe if we had a coach that had a system in place to include more ball and player movement Melo wouldn't be able to jack so many shots even if he wanted to. This was a case of a star player who wants to score and a coach not good enough nor talented enough to find a way to say no to that star but convince him that his plan for the rest of the team would work. Since the team was playing so bad it just fed into Melo feeling he needed to do more.

Also remember that part of Melo's injury is likely due to his rebounding and put backs on which he receives most of the hard hits. If he was only jacking jumpers there is almost no damage done doing that. It's the more rugged part of his game that is likely to be the cause of his injuries. I would love to see Melo in a Triangle offense where he could get a lot more assists and help his teammates to score more easy baskets.

I think it is also a case of teammates not being good enough and one guy having to do too much. Not sure why management never addressed the horrible guard play but there rarely was another scoring threat on the floor with melo. I do agree that the triangle should help and with a system and different teammates melo shouldn't have to take the beating he did this year.

uuhhhh he's been playing the vaunted "bullyball" by his own choice his entire career. not sure what that has to do with his teammates, superior, inferior or otherwise. please... do try to wriggle your way out of that. lets avoid painting him as a martyred hero. he has never been a crafty player and now it has caught up with him. time to give him the heave-ho if he doesn't settle on 12-14 per. that's all the knicks should do with him or tell him "thank you so much you've meant a great deal to james dolan and his fellow basketball ignorami"

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
AUTOADVERT
nixluva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #758
USA
4/15/2014  8:47 PM
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
nixluva wrote:Maybe if we had a coach that had a system in place to include more ball and player movement Melo wouldn't be able to jack so many shots even if he wanted to. This was a case of a star player who wants to score and a coach not good enough nor talented enough to find a way to say no to that star but convince him that his plan for the rest of the team would work. Since the team was playing so bad it just fed into Melo feeling he needed to do more.

Also remember that part of Melo's injury is likely due to his rebounding and put backs on which he receives most of the hard hits. If he was only jacking jumpers there is almost no damage done doing that. It's the more rugged part of his game that is likely to be the cause of his injuries. I would love to see Melo in a Triangle offense where he could get a lot more assists and help his teammates to score more easy baskets.

I think it is also a case of teammates not being good enough and one guy having to do too much. Not sure why management never addressed the horrible guard play but there rarely was another scoring threat on the floor with melo. I do agree that the triangle should help and with a system and different teammates melo shouldn't have to take the beating he did this year.

uuhhhh he's been playing the vaunted "bullyball" by his own choice his entire career. not sure what that has to do with his teammates, superior, inferior or otherwise. please... do try to wriggle your way out of that. lets avoid painting him as a martyred hero. he has never been a crafty player and now it has caught up with him. time to give him the heave-ho if he doesn't settle on 12-14 per. that's all the knicks should do with him or tell him "thank you so much you've meant a great deal to james dolan and his fellow basketball ignorami"

I don't really think I understand where you're coming from on this. Melo is without a doubt one of the most versatile scorers in the league and capable of going off at any moment. The real problem this year and in many years is the rest of the players on the team. He's not Bird, Jordan or Lebron, so he's a BUM? We need a system for the rest of the team more than for the star of the team. Getting a team around him and a system that helps them excel will only enhance what Melo brings to the table. We only need just a small improvement in the roster not a total turnover as some seem to think. More important is better leadership, coaching and smart front office moves. Melo isn't our problem.
dk7th
USA
4/15/2014  10:28 PM
nixluva wrote:
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

I don't really think I understand where you're coming from on this. Melo is without a doubt one of the most versatile scorers in the league and capable of going off at any moment. The real problem this year and in many years is the rest of the players on the team. He's not Bird, Jordan or Lebron, so he's a BUM? We need a system for the rest of the team more than for the star of the team. Getting a team around him and a system that helps them excel will only enhance what Melo brings to the table. We only need just a small improvement in the roster not a total turnover as some seem to think. More important is better leadership, coaching and smart front office moves. Melo isn't our problem.

he came here in such a manner that we compensated him as though he was on the level of players you mentioned. look i know you are trying to make a point but there is just no getting around the fact that he was paid too much and too much was given up for him for this to ever have worked out. you can't destroy 3 years of another plan and expect to recover.

i know where you're going with this-- get melo to stay and run him in the triangle. hope that a real culture can be installed, surround him with high character, hard working guys etc. etc. nice pipe dream even at 12-14 million per but he should be the help not the one being helped!!!!

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
4/15/2014  10:32 PM
I believe that torn labrums do not heal - having a torn labrum myself in my right shoulder and having undergone extensive PT as well as seeing multiple dr's.

His pain level will go down with time but the tear will never heal because it's cartalidge and that does not grow back.

A torn labrum makes it more likely you will get a shoulder dislocation and ultimately tear the rotator cuff. As far as surgery on a torn labrum goes, I have heard it is a pretty unproven procedure so it is risky. That being said, a lot of weight lifters get it done and are fine but I have read horror stories too.

Bottom line is we already knew that Melo was not a $30 million per year guy and this just adds fuel to the fire. He will become the next H20/Stat with bum shoulders. Maybe not in the first or second year or the contract, but by the end of it he will be way overpaid and be an albatross contract holding the team back. We have already played this record multiple times so I would like to see the Knicks approach this more intelligently.

"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
4/16/2014  2:44 AM
Whoever would have thought playing him 40mins a night would end in imjury!
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

4/16/2014  4:50 AM
smackeddog wrote:Whoever would have thought playing him 40mins a night would end in imjury!

Seriously. Ive had shoulder problems for the last couple of years and its no joke when you play bball. Melo really gutted it out this season, hope he can get these issues sorted out over the summer.

gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
4/16/2014  7:45 AM    LAST EDITED: 4/16/2014  7:47 AM
OasisBU wrote:I believe that torn labrums do not heal - having a torn labrum myself in my right shoulder and having undergone extensive PT as well as seeing multiple dr's.

His pain level will go down with time but the tear will never heal because it's cartalidge and that does not grow back.

A torn labrum makes it more likely you will get a shoulder dislocation and ultimately tear the rotator cuff. As far as surgery on a torn labrum goes, I have heard it is a pretty unproven procedure so it is risky. That being said, a lot of weight lifters get it done and are fine but I have read horror stories too.

Bottom line is we already knew that Melo was not a $30 million per year guy and this just adds fuel to the fire. He will become the next H20/Stat with bum shoulders. Maybe not in the first or second year or the contract, but by the end of it he will be way overpaid and be an albatross contract holding the team back. We have already played this record multiple times so I would like to see the Knicks approach this more intelligently.

And people thought I was crazy for suggesting this literally minutes before the news broke on his shoulder. Remember I am always right

He doesn't want surgery because it will forever alter his shot

First he will sign for $30mil per than have the surgery and we are left with 5yrs $130mil for an overpaid role player 40% shooter

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
4/16/2014  8:10 AM
dk7th wrote:yikes he's got shoulders broken down like a 50-year old man. that's damaged goods on an nba level. hooray for bullyball it has really paid off, right melo? time to get rid of him is now, while there are still takers.

thank goodness for this report now it should make it easier for jackson to play hardball-- 12-14 million and if you must, hold your nose and pay him a bunch more next year and then far less when it comes time to pick up a free agent. ronron has been insisting on this, i believe-- or let him go.

that way, either way, knicks win. nobody should take issue with this approach but i am sure some intrepid but perhaps foolhardy soul will try....

nice to see your happy a guy got hurt. Class act buddy... class act
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
fishmike
USA
4/16/2014  8:21 AM

Carmelo Anthony averaged 27.4 points and a career-high 8.1 rebounds this season. We haven't seen those numbers in over a decade. Shaquille O'Neal was the last player to average at least 27 points and 8 boards, doing so in 2002-03 (27.5 PPG, 11.1 RPG).
dk7th
USA
4/16/2014  8:25 AM
fishmike wrote:
dk7th wrote:yikes he's got shoulders broken down like a 50-year old man. that's damaged goods on an nba level. hooray for bullyball it has really paid off, right melo? time to get rid of him is now, while there are still takers.

thank goodness for this report now it should make it easier for jackson to play hardball-- 12-14 million and if you must, hold your nose and pay him a bunch more next year and then far less when it comes time to pick up a free agent. ronron has been insisting on this, i believe-- or let him go.

that way, either way, knicks win. nobody should take issue with this approach but i am sure some intrepid but perhaps foolhardy soul will try....

where in my post do you see me rejoicing he got hurt. that's not my thing. we paid too much for him already and now it is clear he is breaking down. do you have a problem with the knicks paying him 12-14 million?

or do you just have problems?

gunsnewing
USA
4/16/2014  8:28 AM
27 & 8 on a 30win team doesn't really mean much
gunsnewing
USA
4/16/2014  8:31 AM
Especially considering he is breaking down playing 40mins a night under Michael Woodson
fishmike
USA
4/16/2014  9:05 AM
gunsnewing wrote:27 & 8 on a 30win team doesn't really mean much
first losing season in his career... its a one off. Folks complained he was an average rebounder. That improved. Folks say his FG%s stink, that improved.

The team stinks... kinda been over that ad nauseum. This guy played through pain and was one of the most productive players in decades.

You can pound advanced stats all day, but there is one that cant be argued:
http://www.82games.com/1314/1314NYK.HTM

When Melo is on the floor the Knicks are +
When Melo sits the Knicks are not only negative, they are terrible

Go look at the #s.
http://www.82games.com/1314/13NYK11.HTM
Melo doest defend? Yet the Knicks defense is better when he's on the floor. By alot
Melo chucks? Knicks FG% is better when he's on the floor.
Look at Melo's opponents...
Melo outrebounds his opponents whether he's at SF or PF
Melo out passes (assists) his opponents whether he's at SF or PF
Melo draws more fouls and commits fewer than his opponents whether he's at SF or PF

Guns... he had a great season, and his value to the team shows up in the #s. The reason Woodson played him so much, wrong as it may have been was because when Melo was off the floor the game would get away. Hard to blame a guy fighting for his job for that. Im not defending Woodson's lousy coaching. Im just saying there is some easy to see cause and effect here.

gunsnewing
USA
4/16/2014  9:09 AM
He played hard but his impact in the win column is the same as shaq
fishmike
USA
4/16/2014  9:10 AM
dk7th wrote:
fishmike wrote:

where in my post do you see me rejoicing he got hurt. that's not my thing. we paid too much for him already and now it is clear he is breaking down. do you have a problem with the knicks paying him 12-14 million?

12-14mm... thats your stupid, unrealistic # that allows you say "you wanted him back at the right price."
You look stupid hoping to jettison a HOF player and perennial all star so this is your hedge. Pretty transparent.

Your right.. you didnt rejoice. "Thank goodness" you didnt. Take TFK's underwear out of your mouth.. you may find that salty bitter taste in your mouth go away.

fishmike
USA
4/16/2014  9:13 AM
gunsnewing wrote:He played hard but his impact in the win column is the same as shaq
not the same for sure... Shaq is the most dominant physical player probably ever. If he played during the Russell era I have no doubt Shaq would have won a dozen titles. Apples and oranges. Its just a cute stat but shows how productive the guy was
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
4/16/2014  10:28 AM    LAST EDITED: 4/16/2014  10:31 AM
fishmike wrote:
first losing season in his career... its a one off. Folks complained he was an average rebounder. That improved. Folks say his FG%s stink, that improved.

The team stinks... kinda been over that ad nauseum. This guy played through pain and was one of the most productive players in decades.

Go look at the #s.
Melo doest defend? Yet the Knicks defense is better when he's on the floor. By alot
Melo draws more fouls and commits fewer than his opponents whether he's at SF or PF

Guns... he had a great season, and his value to the team shows up in the #s. The reason Woodson played him so much, wrong as it may have been was because when Melo was off the floor the game would get away. Hard to blame a guy fighting for his job for that. Im not defending Woodson's lousy coaching. Im just saying there is some easy to see cause and effect here.

+1
And Woody as much as said he plays Melo when Melo says to play Melo.

The haters are busy grinding away at those numbers, fish. Can you hear it?

"Usage Rate!!! Usage Rate!!!"

"Contract Year!!! Contract Year!!!"

dk7th
USA
4/16/2014  10:50 AM
fishmike wrote:
dk7th wrote:
fishmike wrote:

12-14mm... thats your stupid, unrealistic # that allows you say "you wanted him back at the right price."
You look stupid hoping to jettison a HOF player and perennial all star so this is your hedge. Pretty transparent.

Your right.. you didnt rejoice. "Thank goodness" you didnt. Take TFK's underwear out of your mouth.. you may find that salty bitter taste in your mouth go away.

andrew and martin-- can you do something about this poster. this is over the line.

Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

4/16/2014  11:22 AM
fishmike wrote:

Go look at the #s.

+ 1,000000.........Great Post!!!!

dk7th
USA
4/16/2014  11:28 AM
Uptown wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Go look at the #s.

+ 1,000000.........Great Post!!!!

there are two big reasons he played so hard this season despite the lack of spirit of the team as a whole.

Melo MRI: tear in right labrum

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy