[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Sources: Knicks eye Lamar Odom.. (officially signed 4/16 7:30pm)
Author Thread
holfresh
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1081

4/11/2014  8:13 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/11/2014  8:14 PM
Phil trying to sign Odom before the end of the season...That's not "Zen"-like...

The New York Knicks have expressed interest in signing veteran free agent Lamar Odom, according to sources close to the situation.

Sources told ESPN.com that the Knicks, at the behest of new team president Phil Jackson, have been looking into the possibility of signing Odom since the 34-year-old's short stint playing in Spain ended and are weighing whether to go through with adding the Queens native to their roster before the regular season ends.

Among the options the Knicks are considering, sources said, is signing Odom before Wednesday's regular-season finale to a contract that includes a team option for next season. Doing so would enable the Knicks to work with Odom throughout the offseason before deciding if he's ready to play -- physically and mentally -- in time for the start of the 2014-15 season.

The New York Post reported last week that Jackson met with Odom during halftime of a Knicks-Nets game. It was believed the meeting was more personal in nature, but sources told ESPN.com this week that Jackson is interested in pursuing an on-court reunion with the former Laker if Odom convinces the Knicks he's serious about a comeback.

Odom has been in New York since a back injury cut short his stint with Laboral Kutxa Baskonia in the Spanish ACB after just two games.

The Spanish club announced in mid-March that Odom has "finished his present contract" after the player's U.S.-based doctors ruled him unfit to play for at least a month. Odom left Spain for the States with the club's permission to get a second opinion.

Odom signed a two-month contract with Baskonia on Feb. 18. He originally planned to play out the rest of the 2013-14 campaign in Europe before determining whether to attempt an NBA comeback, but Jackson's emergence as the Knicks' shot-caller has put one of Odom's biggest fans in position to help him get his career back on track.

Odom was traded from the Lakers to the Dallas Mavericks after Jackson's final season as Lakers coach in 2010-11 and has since struggled to approach the same level of production he regularly managed under Jackson.

The Clippers and Lakers had expressed interest in signing Odom at various points this season after a tumultuous summer off the floor that included his eventual divorce from reality TV star Khloe Kardashian. But both teams ultimately passed, leading Odom to make his return in Spain.

New Clippers coach Doc Rivers went so far as bringing Odom to the team's practice facility in November for a well-publicized interview to gauge the state of his game and well-being before opting instead to sign a succession of veteran free agents: Stephen Jackson, Hedo Turkoglu, Sasha Vujacic, Glen Davis and Danny Granger.

Odom played for Jackson for five seasons in Los Angeles and was part of two championship teams. But during the 2013 offseason, after spending the 2012-13 season with the Clippers, Odom was arrested on a DUI charge and reportedly suffered from substance-abuse issues.

AUTOADVERT
ToddTT
Alba Posts: 52
Member: #105
4/11/2014  8:15 PM
I hope it's the stink-eye.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
4/11/2014  9:50 PM
Nothing to lose with this move unless odom becomes Phil's Bender
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
CrushAlot
USA
4/11/2014  11:26 PM
If the Knicks sign odom and then open a roster Spot and sign terrencecwilliams they potentially could get two talented rotation players without compromising the cap. T-Wil is an MVP candidate in the dl.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/11/2014  11:52 PM
1. they have history and its very Zen to help a friend.
2. Get a guy in the gym to show the others how to Trangle
3. If it gets him clean and sober, its good Zen.
4. If he can play, why the hell not.

not a damn downside to it.

skeng
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #2959
Denmark
4/12/2014  3:39 AM
I like Lamar. Worst case him and JR give us some dopey entertainment next season
Legalize di NBA
dk7th
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #4228
USA
4/12/2014  8:41 AM
sickening prospect
knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
yellowboy90
Member: #3538

4/12/2014  9:08 AM
IF his contract comes with a non-guaranteed 2nd year/team option then it's a good way to help someone you once coached. Given his years in the NBA his 2nd year contract will help in any trades that may happen ala Richardson or Gadz like another poster said.
CrushAlot
USA
4/12/2014  9:24 AM
yellowboy90 wrote:IF his contract comes with a non-guaranteed 2nd year/team option then it's a good way to help someone you once coached. Given his years in the NBA his 2nd year contract will help in any trades that may happen ala Richardson or Gadz like another poster said.
Berman is saying that his contract comes with a non guaranteed second year team option.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
4/12/2014  10:12 AM
I guess check the guy out for the summer--see if he can turn it around
RIP Crushalot😞
smackeddog
Member: #883
4/12/2014  1:47 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/12/2014  1:47 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:IF his contract comes with a non-guaranteed 2nd year/team option then it's a good way to help someone you once coached. Given his years in the NBA his 2nd year contract will help in any trades that may happen ala Richardson or Gadz like another poster said.
Berman is saying that his contract comes with a non guaranteed second year team option.

Only makes sense as a contract trade chip, and even then it's an odd decision. We will stink next year (and that's no bad thing since we own our pick)- even if a miracle occurred and a 35 year old Odom magically regained his game after 3 years MIA and a crack issue (which to be honest likely destroyed his game), we don't really need him? What purpose would he serve?

Also if the aim is to maximise cap space in 2015, how does using his non-guaranteed salary in a trade fit in with that? There's no way a team would trade a serviceable player on a one year minimum contract for an expiring/non guaranteed.

CrushAlot
USA
4/12/2014  2:51 PM
smackeddog wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Only makes sense as a contract trade chip, and even then it's an odd decision. We will stink next year (and that's no bad thing since we own our pick)- even if a miracle occurred and a 35 year old Odom magically regained his game after 3 years MIA and a crack issue (which to be honest likely destroyed his game), we don't really need him? What purpose would he serve?

Also if the aim is to maximise cap space in 2015, how does using his non-guaranteed salary in a trade fit in with that? There's no way a team would trade a serviceable player on a one year minimum contract for an expiring/non guaranteed.

I think Phil will be open minded about improving the team. I think he makes moves if they improve the team.

NardDogNation
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #5555

4/12/2014  4:05 PM
smackeddog wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

This literally just happened this past trade deadline. The Bucks got Ramon Sessions by trading Gary Neal's bad contract and filler.

IronWillGiroud
Member: #4359

4/12/2014  4:08 PM
Ramon "Class is in" Sessions!
The Will, check out the Official Home of Will's GameDay Art: http://tinyurl.com/thewillgameday
CrushAlot
USA
4/15/2014  8:24 AM
Sounds like this is going to get done before Wednsday.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/story?storyId=10784311&city=newyork&src=desktop

dk7th
Member: #4228
USA
4/15/2014  8:43 AM
never liked his game or his character. even if he gets his shyte together i have doubts about how good he will be at teaching the triangle. and if he isn't there for that then what is he going to be there for?
knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
holfresh

4/15/2014  10:03 AM
I guess this means Steve Kerr or the like will be coaching?
holfresh

4/15/2014  10:10 AM
I also heard that Mark Jax ruled out as Knicks coach on Mike and Mike this morning.."He isn't Phil's kind of guy" said Broussard...
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
4/15/2014  10:11 AM
holfresh wrote:I guess this means Steve Kerr or the like will be coaching?
hes really hated on the Knicks over the years.. I really dislike him, but if he's part of a successful turnaround I will embrace him. Im a flip flopper so I can do that

In Phil we trust.

After the impact of the veterans last year I have no problem w/ Odom. We need those guys.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
yellowboy90
Member: #3538

4/15/2014  10:11 AM
dk7th wrote:never liked his game or his character. even if he gets his shyte together i have doubts about how good he will be at teaching the triangle. and if he isn't there for that then what is he going to be there for?

A trade asset to make salaries match. It's smart GMing, close your roster spots at the end of the year with players w/non-guaranteed 2nd year to use in deals. You only pay them "pennies" to be on the books this year then let the next team cut them without it hurting their bottom line.

Sources: Knicks eye Lamar Odom.. (officially signed 4/16 7:30pm)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy