Member: #3189

4/7/2014  5:58 PM
holfresh wrote:
mreinman wrote:
holfresh wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
holfresh wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
holfresh wrote:Thanks for nothing??...I'll thank him for 18-6, made the playoffs then a 54 win season which took us to the 2nd round...

no you need to thank melo, who carried the team to that 18-6 mark where he was name player of the wk twice, and player of the month..

then you can thank kidd, kurt thomas. and rasheed for helping us get to 54 wins..

Thank the boston celtics for having a depleted roster cause we surley would have lost that series if rondo was healthy and you know it..cmon man kg out rebounded the entire starting 5 by himself..

Say what you want, we saw the best results in over a decade under Woodson...

It's the best talent we have had in over a decade..

And he took it as far as it could have gone...

If he took it as far as it could have gone, you believe that he is an excellent coach and will be or should be snapped up?

If Hollins wasn't snapped up then anything is possible..But Woody will get another job, I heard he is a big name in Indy...

Hollins (IMHO) was not snatched up because he took a stand against sabermetrics which is a huge no no in todays nba world.

That probably was also one of the main reasons that he was let go.

so here is what phil is thinking ....
AUTOADVERT
Knicks22
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5689

4/7/2014  6:08 PM
Very hard in trying to be fair to reconcile the 54 wins with this disaster. Same coach, some missing key veterans, but generally same roster.

That being said, I would have more regard for him if he actually coached. There is NO Offensive structure, the 'switch at all times' is openly mocked (or, ignored), and late and close is a joke - its one on five for Melo.
He's quite strict with some (Beno), and a pure enabler of way too many.

Admit can't reconcile the two years in results, but, there is nothing to admire about his coaching philosophy - or lace there of (enabler, no system on O, and a system on D which opponents and his own team comment derisively about), and the late and close last shot record (is Melo 1-25?) is inexplicable given Melo's offensive talent - it can only be attributed to a coach who unequivocally is NOT putting his players in a position to succeed on the final shot.

holfresh
Member: #1081

4/7/2014  6:11 PM
TeamBall wrote:
holfresh wrote:
TeamBall wrote:
holfresh wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
holfresh wrote:Thanks for nothing??...I'll thank him for 18-6, made the playoffs then a 54 win season which took us to the 2nd round...

no you need to thank melo, who carried the team to that 18-6 mark where he was name player of the wk twice, and player of the month..

then you can thank kidd, kurt thomas. and rasheed for helping us get to 54 wins..

Thank the boston celtics for having a depleted roster cause we surley would have lost that series if rondo was healthy and you know it..cmon man kg out rebounded the entire starting 5 by himself..

We're also seeing a sh***y season under him too. Does that mean he get all the blame? No. He did a GREAT job last season but I wouldn't "thank" only him for it. So many other factors went into it. Just like this season isn't entirely his fault though he should take some blame.

I agree, but the thread said thanks for Nothing??...You can never heap blame in one place, there are always many factors...That said, a 54 win season in the first full year on the job, is a 54 win season...

I think we as fans tend to look at the most recent body of work sometimes. I'm not saying that's definitely what the OP did but it's a possibility and it does happen. Woodys just made several head scratching decisions this season and it's frustrating.

Woodson is not a great coach, he is ok...We can certainly do worse and probably will...

holfresh

4/7/2014  6:13 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/7/2014  6:14 PM
mreinman wrote:
holfresh wrote:
mreinman wrote:
holfresh wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
holfresh wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

If he took it as far as it could have gone, you believe that he is an excellent coach and will be or should be snapped up?

If Hollins wasn't snapped up then anything is possible..But Woody will get another job, I heard he is a big name in Indy...

Hollins (IMHO) was not snatched up because he took a stand against sabermetrics which is a huge no no in todays nba world.

Well Memphis, like the Knicks, is fighting for their playoff lives this year, so rounds 1,2 and 3 to Hollins....

Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
4/7/2014  6:15 PM
The odd thing is the team is on pace to win just about as many games as the stat models said they would.
mreinman
Alba Posts: 1

4/7/2014  6:35 PM
holfresh wrote:
mreinman wrote:
holfresh wrote:
mreinman wrote:
holfresh wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
holfresh wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

Well Memphis, like the Knicks, is fighting for their playoff lives this year, so rounds 1,2 and 3 to Hollins....

Not sure what that means but ok.

holfresh

4/7/2014  6:46 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/7/2014  6:50 PM
mreinman wrote:
holfresh wrote:
mreinman wrote:
holfresh wrote:
mreinman wrote:
holfresh wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
holfresh wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

Memphis is in the 9th spot right now, Hollinger hasn't produced as much as Hollins did last year...With Hollins, they were one of the best teams in the West...

knicks1248
Member: #582
4/7/2014  6:57 PM
If the situation is dysfunctional walk away like any good respectable coach would have. Don't get expose like a knock off, like byron scott did without a top point guard to coach.

Did phil even have a sit down with woodson, a phone call, a text, a email, a poke...the guy is toast

ES
mreinman

4/7/2014  7:11 PM
holfresh wrote:
mreinman wrote:
holfresh wrote:
mreinman wrote:
holfresh wrote:
mreinman wrote:
holfresh wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
holfresh wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

Memphis is in the 9th spot right now, Hollinger hasn't produced as much as Hollins did last year...With Hollins, they were one of the best teams in the West...

In his last year, I think that Hollins was a great defensive coach and last in pace. Not sure how many teams can win it all being last in pace and a top defensive team. Teams need balance to win (need to research these stats better).

Grinding your teams defensively often has short term results butter fail and suffer from tuned out players in the long run. Larry Brown have some success with this with Detroit and Philly but I'm not sure how that style would work in today's NBA.

Don't really know enough else about Hollins and he may have been a good coach but teams are moving towards math models and as Marc Cuban said: "If you don't go with it, you will be left behind while other teams are learning about efficiency".

Who says Hollins would have done better this year? There is no way to predict that and it does not prove anything.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
4/7/2014  7:19 PM
knicks1248 wrote:If the situation is dysfunctional walk away like any good respectable coach would have. Don't get expose like a knock off, like byron scott did without a top point guard to coach.

Did phil even have a sit down with woodson, a phone call, a text, a email, a poke...the guy is toast

There aren't that many jobs. Woodson sticks it out and gets paid a couple mil next year to play golf. I don't know anyone that can walk away from that. Also, I think the follies of the Knicks organization has been exposed.

I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
knicks1248
4/7/2014  7:39 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:If the situation is dysfunctional walk away like any good respectable coach would have. Don't get expose like a knock off, like byron scott did without a top point guard to coach.

There aren't that many jobs. Woodson sticks it out and gets paid a couple mil next year to play golf. I don't know anyone that can walk away from that. Also, I think the follies of the Knicks organization has been exposed.

"We had a chance to win the game," Amar'e Stoudemire (12 points) said. "They went small. We shot threes. We didn't quite take advantage of our size inside."

This is what woodson can control, not encouraging your players to get amare the ball, or just drive the ball.

This dudes judgement stinks, and it trickles down to the players..

I know plenty of people that would prefer to keep there reputation intact for future opportunities, rather than take a couple mill and risk never having another shot. I think thats the main reason MDA and JVG got jobs as quick as they did.

ES
holfresh

4/7/2014  7:52 PM
mreinman wrote:
holfresh wrote:
mreinman wrote:
holfresh wrote:
mreinman wrote:
holfresh wrote:
mreinman wrote:
holfresh wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
holfresh wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

In his last year, I think that Hollins was a great defensive coach and last in pace. Not sure how many teams can win it all being last in pace and a top defensive team. Teams need balance to win (need to research these stats better).

Grinding your teams defensively often has short term results butter fail and suffer from tuned out players in the long run. Larry Brown have some success with this with Detroit and Philly but I'm not sure how that style would work in today's NBA.

Don't really know enough else about Hollins and he may have been a good coach but teams are moving towards math models and as Marc Cuban said: "If you don't go with it, you will be left behind while other teams are learning about efficiency".

Who says Hollins would have done better this year? There is no way to predict that and it does not prove anything.

Doesn't matter what you think, the results were the results..Grind out pace is what the playoffs are about/ the possession game..Indy was a grind out team too and was successful last year..Memphis has no choice but to be a grind out team given the make up of its front line/ best players..I think we had a similar discussion where u thought all the coaches who won wasn't old school..U were telling me Riley, Phil, Pop, Doc wasn't old school..I still disagree..

mreinman

4/7/2014  9:06 PM
holfresh wrote:
mreinman wrote:
holfresh wrote:
mreinman wrote:
holfresh wrote:
mreinman wrote:
holfresh wrote:
mreinman wrote:
holfresh wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
holfresh wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

Doesn't matter what you think

No, but it matters what the NBA teams think at they are not too fond of him right now.

Dagger
Member: #4184

4/7/2014  11:31 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/7/2014  11:33 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
dk7th wrote:"i mean... i'm a big part of what we do"

"In terms of losing basketball games"

Like what does this even mean, just the ramblings of a feeble mind...

"Again, Raymond is a big part of our ball club, I'm not just gonna kick him to the curb. He's definitely a big piece to the puzzle".

Dagger
Member: #4184

4/7/2014  11:39 PM
holfresh wrote:
TeamBall wrote:
holfresh wrote:
TeamBall wrote:
holfresh wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

We're also seeing a sh***y season under him too. Does that mean he get all the blame? No. He did a GREAT job last season but I wouldn't "thank" only him for it. So many other factors went into it. Just like this season isn't entirely his fault though he should take some blame.

I agree, but the thread said thanks for Nothing??...You can never heap blame in one place, there are always many factors...That said, a 54 win season in the first full year on the job, is a 54 win season...

I think we as fans tend to look at the most recent body of work sometimes. I'm not saying that's definitely what the OP did but it's a possibility and it does happen. Woodys just made several head scratching decisions this season and it's frustrating.

Woodson is not a great coach, he is ok...We can certainly do worse and probably will...

No you really can't do worse. Name a worse coach. And before you say Dantoni, consider that Dantoni at least knew that ball movement was essential to an offense. As the ESPN poll indicates Woodson is a bottom of the barrel coach, the only two HC's ranked lower than him are coaches with far less to work with on their rosters.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
4/8/2014  4:04 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

"We had a chance to win the game," Amar'e Stoudemire (12 points) said. "They went small. We shot threes. We didn't quite take advantage of our size inside."

This is what woodson can control, not encouraging your players to get amare the ball, or just drive the ball.

I know plenty of people that would prefer to keep there reputation intact for future opportunities, rather than take a couple mill and risk never having another shot. I think thats the main reason MDA and JVG got jobs as quick as they did.

Dantoni's deal was up after24 more games. Woodson had another year. Dantoni got work because Jim buss feared a power struggle with phil/Jeanie. Buss is destroying the lakers.

I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
knicks1248
4/8/2014  8:48 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Dantoni's deal was up after24 more games. Woodson had another year. Dantoni got work because Jim buss feared a power struggle with phil/Jeanie. Buss is destroying the lakers.

While this maybe true, I still think woodsons days has a head coach in the NBA will come to an end this season. He may get an assistant gig ( and even thats a stretch) but will never be the top dog. Had he walked away in january i would have had more respect for him and I think people would have understood.

I'm still smh at the fact that our 3 biggest offseason moves back fired like crazy, and i'm not sure who to blame for that because I know he had some say in the matter..

ES
holfresh

4/8/2014  10:29 AM
Dagger wrote:
holfresh wrote:
TeamBall wrote:
holfresh wrote:
TeamBall wrote:
holfresh wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

No you really can't do worse. Name a worse coach. And before you say Dantoni, consider that Dantoni at least knew that ball movement was essential to an offense. As the ESPN poll indicates Woodson is a bottom of the barrel coach, the only two HC's ranked lower than him are coaches with far less to work with on their rosters.

Woodson says the same thing about ball movement too, it's the reason he starts Prigs with Felton..But consider this, MDA coached teams has given up the most 130 pts games the last 5 years..18-24 turned into 18--6 to make the playoffs is the poll I'm most concerned about...

Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
4/8/2014  10:36 AM
holfresh wrote:
Dagger wrote:
holfresh wrote:
TeamBall wrote:
holfresh wrote:
TeamBall wrote:
holfresh wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

Woodson says the same thing about ball movement too, it's the reason he starts Prigs with Felton..But consider this, MDA coached teams has given up the most 130 pts games the last 5 years..18-24 turned into 18--6 to make the playoffs is the poll I'm most concerned about...

And then a few years later 18-6 turned into 33-45!
mreinman

4/8/2014  10:49 AM
its ok to take credit for 18-6 but 33-45 is not his fault.

same logic is faulty in reverse.

BYE WOODSON thanks for absolutely nothing

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy