AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/26/2001  6:33 PM
Posted by Knixkik:

Latest rumors...

Notes: The Boston Globe reports that the Knicks offered Othella Harrington, Charlie Ward, and Travis Knight for Vin Baker -- proof that timing is everything. A year ago, the SuperSonics would have taken virtually anything to get out from under the overweight Baker's five-year, $68 million contract; now they believe the four-time All-Star, just coming off the injured list with a bruised knee, is back in form after averaging 18 points and eight rebounds in the first seven games.

Now this is an interesting trade scenario. Seattle gets one less year in contract guarantees with Ward and Knight, and a player who comes to work every day (Othella). They would get a better back up PG then they already have and if they trade Payton, they would have without demanding an all-star PG in return (they are few and far between). But does Othella make up the play production in Baker?

The Knicks get rid of an extra-unneeded PG and unneeded tall white stiff. They pick up a taller PF with a history of sloppy work ethic, but who at the same time was a former all-star. He has a big contract, but when has that ever bothered the Knicks? Is this the Baker who can turn things around to become a legit Eastern Conference power player (and in the East almost any buff player taller than 6'9" has potential to be an all-star) or LJ in the last years of his play?

I like the trade. Our cap situation isn't getting any better anyway... why not risk it? We know the upside to Othella, Ward and Knight (it's the same as my upside in the NBA); Baker's upside may be better.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Caseloads
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #41
11/26/2001  7:43 PM
Posted by martin:
Posted by Knixkik:

Latest rumors...

Notes: The Boston Globe reports that the Knicks offered Othella Harrington, Charlie Ward, and Travis Knight for Vin Baker -- proof that timing is everything. A year ago, the SuperSonics would have taken virtually anything to get out from under the overweight Baker's five-year, $68 million contract; now they believe the four-time All-Star, just coming off the injured list with a bruised knee, is back in form after averaging 18 points and eight rebounds in the first seven games.

Now this is an interesting trade scenario. Seattle gets one less year in contract guarantees with Ward and Knight, and a player who comes to work every day (Othella). They would get a better back up PG then they already have and if they trade Payton, they would have without demanding an all-star PG in return (they are few and far between). But does Othella make up the play production in Baker?

The Knicks get rid of an extra-unneeded PG and unneeded tall white stiff. They pick up a taller PF with a history of sloppy work ethic, but who at the same time was a former all-star. He has a big contract, but when has that ever bothered the Knicks? Is this the Baker who can turn things around to become a legit Eastern Conference power player (and in the East almost any buff player taller than 6'9" has potential to be an all-star) or LJ in the last years of his play?

I like the trade. Our cap situation isn't getting any better anyway... why not risk it? We know the upside to Othella, Ward and Knight (it's the same as my upside in the NBA); Baker's upside may be better.
Us ditch 3 players for 1? I say we do it.
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
11/26/2001  8:40 PM
As far as upsides are concerned, Harrington still may have some growing to do, but Ward and Knight aren't getting any better. I think getting Baker would be a major risk, but it could be one worth taking. I like Harrington a lot though, so i'm not sure about this trade.
martin
USA
11/26/2001  11:41 PM
Posted by Knixkik:

As far as upsides are concerned, Harrington still may have some growing to do, but Ward and Knight aren't getting any better. I think getting Baker would be a major risk, but it could be one worth taking. I like Harrington a lot though, so i'm not sure about this trade.

I am not so high on Harrington. A good role player off the bench, but I like Thomas as a better role player off the bench. Othella seems like black hole all the time - as soon as he gets the ball, lots of ball fakes and a shot, rarely a good post pass.
Caseloads
Member: #41
11/27/2001  9:26 AM
Posted by martin:
Posted by Knixkik:

I am not so high on Harrington. A good role player off the bench, but I like Thomas as a better role player off the bench. Othella seems like black hole all the time - as soon as he gets the ball, lots of ball fakes and a shot, rarely a good post pass.
After it is all said and done, harrington is a 6'6" role player... he could get good, but who knows.
martin
USA
11/27/2001  10:48 AM
Posted by Caseloads:
Posted by martin:
Posted by Knixkik:

After it is all said and done, harrington is a 6'6" role player... he could get good, but who knows.

Right, I forgot to mention that his D is not as good as Kurt's and he can't guard the centers in the league because of his height. At $2M - $3M a year, he may be worth it, but that's all.
Clarence Weatherspoon Update

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy