[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

starting a brand new career at age 31, is it possible to achieve great things?

Author Poll
IronWillGiroud
Member: #4359

is it possible to achieve great things if you start from scratch at age 31?
yes
no
View Results

Author Thread
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
12/2/2013  11:09 AM
Yeah, don't forget, we're all so proud of BasketballJones, and look where it got him.

The RickRoll Master of UK.

AUTOADVERT
IronWillGiroud
Alba Posts: 0

12/2/2013  4:06 PM
Lol

Thanks jrod

I do this for fam

The Will, check out the Official Home of Will's GameDay Art: http://tinyurl.com/thewillgameday
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/11/2013  11:19 AM
IronWillGiroud wrote:I'll fill in more of my story when I'm home,

But I am a mechanical engineer, bs, and I want to start a new career within the engineering field,

I am planning a switch to mep design, that is hvac, electrical and plumbing design for buildings,

Right now I work as a production engineer by title but really I am an excel monkey for a privately owned manufacturer and With my talents I need to be in consulting,

The thing is that I have only a basic understanding of cad and mep, and I don't have my fe exam, so we are pretty much talking about a new career,

And nalod the time out has not come up in any Interviews since, no one seems to care as long as you have the technical ability

YOu need qualificatons to the technical side of what you are trying to do. But you will need to answer for gaps in your resume. If for any reason you screw up and cannot defend your qualificatons then your a fraud. Would you need to carry errors and ommission insurance? Would you be able to be covered if you omit your incarceration? Its one thing to get the coverage but if you had a problem, and im not saying it was deliberate, and the insurance company deemed you omited information then they might be able to just give you back your premium and walk away. Which means you don't have coverage, and you could be wiped out.

So if your going to be a consultant, make sure you have the back ground. Since you appear to be very confident of yourself that might help you but don't be delusional the reality of what it really means to be qualified.

Just cuz you want something does not mean your entitled to it.

jrodmc
USA
12/11/2013  11:56 AM
Nalod wrote:
Since you appear to be very confident of yourself that might help you but don't be delusional the reality of what it really means to be qualified.

Nalod, these nuggets of wisdom to IWG/OBM are akin to telling playa2 to try and concentrate on the fact that everything's really going to turn out okay...

Nalod
USA
12/11/2013  1:27 PM
jrodmc wrote:
Nalod wrote:
Since you appear to be very confident of yourself that might help you but don't be delusional the reality of what it really means to be qualified.

Nalod, these nuggets of wisdom to IWG/OBM are akin to telling playa2 to try and concentrate on the fact that everything's really going to turn out okay...

Thought the "Manchurian Canditate" password to the train conducter derailed the trail last week.

Trains just don't speed up by themselves?

"Driving that train, high on cocaine.......Casey Jones you better, watch your speed".......

IronWillGiroud

12/13/2013  5:41 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/13/2013  5:58 PM
you're a hater.

you have one little world view, from the law side, and you do not understand the life in the real world,

too academic, and in the case of professional engineering, inadequate. you're not in the know on this one.

The Will, check out the Official Home of Will's GameDay Art: http://tinyurl.com/thewillgameday
IronWillGiroud

12/13/2013  5:50 PM
it blows my mind how your bigotry just explodes unto the thread,

but few people here would want to challenge you, you're too centrist so they can't put you in a category,

gaps in my resume? i don't have gaps in my resume.

what are you talking about? you don't know what you're talking about, and you know you don't.

i'll give you credit for the balls to authorit-ay on every subject in the world,

jargon can't fill all the holes in the world--- there is a practical side to the day-to-day.

IronWillGiroud

12/13/2013  5:52 PM
if a state board allows you to take a state certification exam, after all checks, then obviously your time on the sidelines was not that serious.

does a time on the sidelines that is not so serious exist in your brain?

you don't know the story, you don't know the trail.

for a centrist, very biased views. too quick to label, and that's sad.

what drives your hate?

Nalod
USA
12/14/2013  3:33 AM
IronWillGiroud wrote:if a state board allows you to take a state certification exam, after all checks, then obviously your time on the sidelines was not that serious.

what drives your hate?

Your ego.

jrodmc
USA
12/18/2013  2:39 PM
Nalod wrote:
IronWillGiroud wrote:if a state board allows you to take a state certification exam, after all checks, then obviously your time on the sidelines was not that serious.

what drives your hate?

Your ego.

I think it's more jealousy. IWG's stolen your posting format, Nalod, and didn't even apply for copyright.

Some of his posts actually qualify as haiku attempts.

True genius truly is unintentional.

Too bad they don't rhyme as well.

He'd have a hit album by now.

Or at least one of these threads would go viral.

If people would only bother to read, again.

Alas.

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

12/19/2013  9:44 AM
I worked for an engineering consulting firm as a commercial and contracts manager. Trust me, you will be dissatisfied with the consulting world as your client will dictate what engineering work you do. And it is a political beast. Most of the engineers I worked with were dissatisfied because they felt constrained and didn't have the freedom to do the work they thought needed to be done.

All that said, you may and probably will be happier than being an excel monkey. I have done that job before and it sucks.

A little over a year ago - at 29 - I switched jobs from contract management to sales. The move has been great. I am happier and it suits me better. The best advice I can give is to focus on you and doing the best you can do. The second you start looking at the other guy wishing you were in his position, say to yourself "if only I had started down that path earlier (or whatever)", is the second you have lost the battle.

The second best advice is to have a vision for your future. See yourself as something. If you are just moving for immediate improvement of your situation, the gratification will be short lived. If you see yourself as something you will work towards becoming that something and the work will be gratifying and fulfilling. As Gandhi said, be the change that you wish to see in the world.

In summary: a good friend of mine has a saying, "work hard, make sacrifices, good things happen." Learn it, love it, live it

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
starting a brand new career at age 31, is it possible to achieve great things?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy