[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

What Is The Proper Role/Function of Government?
Author Thread
NardDogNation
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #5555

10/8/2013  3:22 PM
I thought that this might be a good idea since I started to drift off on a tangent about my political views in the "Government Shutdown" Thread. I think we all have something to say on the matter and this might be the best solution, in order to focus on that issue.
AUTOADVERT
IronWillGiroud
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #4359

10/8/2013  4:07 PM
The proper role is to provide military defense and to enforce basic laws like murder,

Anything more and it's an industry

The Will, check out the Official Home of Will's GameDay Art: http://tinyurl.com/thewillgameday
NardDogNation

10/8/2013  4:15 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/8/2013  4:31 PM
IronWillGiroud wrote:The proper role is to provide military defense and to enforce basic laws like murder,

What are considered to be basic laws? What are their objectives? Why is it an industry if it's anything more?
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
10/8/2013  5:09 PM
Helping to promote the well-being of its citizens. Countries like Denmark and Sweden have healthy, happy citizens. We should be following their lead.
IronWillGiroud

10/8/2013  5:26 PM
NardDogNation wrote:
IronWillGiroud wrote:The proper role is to provide military defense and to enforce basic laws like murder,

What are considered to be basic laws? What are their objectives? Why is it an industry if it's anything more?

can't steal can't kill,

other than that, do your thing young man!!!!!

The Will, check out the Official Home of Will's GameDay Art: http://tinyurl.com/thewillgameday
IronWillGiroud

10/8/2013  5:27 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:Helping to promote the well-being of its citizens. Countries like Denmark and Sweden have healthy, happy citizens. We should be following their lead.

they ride bikes in those countries

IronWillGiroud

10/8/2013  5:37 PM
IronWillGiroud wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:

can't steal can't kill,

if it's anything more, it starts to grow just for the sake of expanding itself, it ceases to function as a government, now it is an animal that wants to eat your food!!!

Bonn1997
USA
10/8/2013  5:51 PM
IronWillGiroud wrote:
IronWillGiroud wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:

can't steal can't kill,

if it's anything more, it starts to grow just for the sake of expanding itself, it ceases to function as a government, now it is an animal that wants to eat your food!!!

Wow, usually people with your views at least want the government to have a military. I'll give you credit for being an extremist!

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

10/8/2013  6:05 PM
There was a reason that our founding fathers were so against the outsized influence of corporations, Lincoln was also a critic. These days the role of govt should be once again as a counterweight to corporate power and influence.
NardDogNation

10/8/2013  6:34 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/8/2013  6:47 PM
GustavBahler wrote:There was a reason that our founding fathers were so against the outsized influence of corporations, Lincoln was also a critic. These days the role of govt should be once again as a counterweight to corporate power and influence.

Exactly. Everyone preaches about the need for checks and balance in the government but no one acknowledges the same for corporations. They worry me more than any government ever could because in a democracy, there is a degree of accountability; if a politician isn't performing to your liking, you could vote against him. What is the recourse for all-powerful corporations? And let's be honest, from an American perspective, they have been the greatest agitators to the freedoms and well-being of the public. Some seem to forget that there was once a point in time in our nation's history where there was no such thing as a weekend, child labor was commonplace, an 8+hour work day all week round was standard and sick days did not exist. That is the reality for labor without regulations and I don't think this culture has changed among the corporate types. These practices are still alive and well abroad, where there is no regulation available to fight for the common worker.

NardDogNation

10/8/2013  6:49 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/8/2013  6:51 PM
IronWillGiroud wrote:
IronWillGiroud wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:

can't steal can't kill,

Why is it then that more educated populations, have more developed governments? And why is it that nations on the other end of that spectrum, are usually 3rd world countries and/or have a horrible human rights track record?

Bonn1997
USA
10/8/2013  7:08 PM
NardDogNation wrote:
IronWillGiroud wrote:
IronWillGiroud wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:

can't steal can't kill,

Why is it then that more educated populations, have more developed governments? And why is it that nations on the other end of that spectrum, are usually 3rd world countries and/or have a horrible human rights track record?

He doesn't realize he's just bought into the Republican rhetoric that government is the problem.
GustavBahler

10/8/2013  7:18 PM
NardDogNation wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:There was a reason that our founding fathers were so against the outsized influence of corporations, Lincoln was also a critic. These days the role of govt should be once again as a counterweight to corporate power and influence.

Exactly. Everyone preaches about the need for checks and balance in the government but no one acknowledges the same for corporations. They worry me more than any government ever could because in a democracy, there is a degree of accountability; if a politician isn't performing to your liking, you could vote against him. What is the recourse for all-powerful corporations? And let's be honest, from an American perspective, they have been the greatest agitators to the freedoms and well-being of the public. Some seem to forget that there was once a point in time in our nation's history where there was no such thing as a weekend, child labor was commonplace, an 8+hour work day all week round was standard and sick days did not exist. That is the reality for labor without regulations and I don't think this culture has changed among the corporate types. These practices are still alive and well abroad, where there is no regulation available to fight for the common worker.

Well put.

NardDogNation

10/8/2013  7:23 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
IronWillGiroud wrote:
IronWillGiroud wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:

can't steal can't kill,

He doesn't realize he's just bought into the Republican rhetoric that government is the problem.

I believe as much but maybe there is a scholarly explanation for some of this, which I hope we can uncover. All I usually hear is the bull**** fed to us by politicians and there is next to nothing to learn from those people (which I think is true on both sides of the aisle but even less so for Republicans).

IronWillGiroud

10/9/2013  9:18 AM
i pull myself out of here now, obviously in way over my head.

all the best,
iwg

GustavBahler

10/9/2013  9:50 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Democracy-Incorporated-Managed-Inverted-Totalitarianism/dp/069114589X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381326426&sr=8-1&keywords=democracy+inc

NardDog, have you read this book? Great read and spot on IMO.

jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
10/9/2013  1:04 PM
Golly, I thought this was a federal republic (boo Bonn!) and not a democracy.

In Congress, July 4, 1776.
A Declaration
By the Representatives of the
United States of America,
In general Congress assembled.

We hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness—-That to secure these Rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just Powers from the Consent of the Governed, that whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or abolish it, and to institute a new Government, laying its Foundation on such Principles, and organizing its Powers in such Form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

I normally make it my business not to try to write my own laws and ways of doing things. Especially when it's been done already for the country I live in.

But you see, I'm just a stupid conservative Republican. Not a member of the elitist liberal humanist class who know better than a bunch of deist slave owners who decided to start a country as a way of jumpstarting the capitalistic pigfest our Democratic brothers are trying to finally to put right by making the decisions on how to pursue happiness for you.

NardDogNation

10/9/2013  1:21 PM
jrodmc wrote:Golly, I thought this was a federal republic (boo Bonn!) and not a democracy.

A Declaration

We hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness—-That to secure these Rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just Powers from the Consent of the Governed, that whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or abolish it, and to institute a new Government, laying its Foundation on such Principles, and organizing its Powers in such Form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

I normally make it my business not to try to write my own laws and ways of doing things. Especially when it's been done already for the country I live in.

But you see, I'm just a stupid conservative Republican. Not a member of the elitist liberal humanist class who know better than a bunch of deist slave owners who decided to start a country as a way of jumpstarting the capitalistic pigfest our Democratic brothers are trying to finally to put right by making the decisions on how to pursue happiness for you.

Are you paid to be this delusional or does it come naturally to you?

NardDogNation

10/9/2013  1:23 PM
IronWillGiroud wrote:i pull myself out of here now, obviously in way over my head.

all the best,
iwg

If you felt attacked I apologize. I just was curious about how you arrived at your position to figure out the nuance of it. From my side looking in, I can not understand the idea of having that impotent a government considering the cautionary tales of our own past.

jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
10/9/2013  1:26 PM
NardDogNation wrote:
jrodmc wrote:Golly, I thought this was a federal republic (boo Bonn!) and not a democracy.

A Declaration

Are you paid to be this delusional or does it come naturally to you?

Please, tell me some more of your "facts". I graduated cum laude with a degree in Poli Sci. What you got, Dog? More ad hominem?

Do you honestly believe in big government liberalism or did you just agree to have one of Al Gore's V-chips implanted in your skull?

What Is The Proper Role/Function of Government?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy