End of the season awards... Who ya got?
Author Thread
VCoug
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1406

4/18/2013  7:51 PM
MVP - Lebron James, no question
ROY - Damian Lillard, no question
DPOY - Marc Gasol, this was a tough one but the fact that he played so many more minutes than Duncan and Larry Sanders puts him over the top
6 Man - JR Smith, even before this torrid stretch we were clearly a better team with JR on the floor; the last few weeks just clinched it
MIP - Always a goofy award usually won by late lottery picks and guys coming back from injury. If JR had played all season like he is now I'd give it to him... **** it, Paul George
All NBA 1st - Chris Paul, Kobe Bryant, Kevin Durant, Lebron James, Tim Duncan
All NBA 2nd - Stephen Curry, Dwyane Wade, James Harden, Carmelo Anthony, Dwight Howard
All NBA 3rd - Russell Westbrook, Tony Parker, Paul Pierce, Blake Griffin, Marc Gasol; Holy crap, where are all the forwards? Even after cheating and moving Harden from guard to forward I still don't like these picks
All NBA Defensive Team - ?, Tony Allen, Lebron James, Larry Sanders, Marc Gasol; I honestly can't think of another guard who really stands out for their defense
COY - Mark Jackson, a lot of really good candidates but I thought GS wasn't even going to win 30 games this year and instead they're 47-35 and 6th in the West
Now the joy of my world is in Zion How beautiful if nothing more Than to wait at Zion's door I've never been in love like this before Now let me pray to keep you from The perils that will surely come
AUTOADVERT
Dagger
Member: #4184

4/18/2013  8:01 PM
Stephen Curry should not be on the 2nd all-nba team, he has more work to do. Personally, I think Kyrie is better (but his team sucks right now so he's not winning anything).Regardless, Parker is better than both of them.

Other than that I agree with pretty much everything else.

VCoug

4/18/2013  8:12 PM
Dagger wrote:Stephen Curry should not be on the 2nd all-nba team, he has more work to do. Personally, I think Kyrie is better (but his team sucks right now so he's not winning anything).Regardless, Parker is better than both of them.

Other than that I agree with pretty much everything else.

Yeah, I kept on going back and forth on Curry, Westbrook, and Parker but finally decided that Curry had such a good year scoring the ball, including setting the record for made 3-pointers in a season, that I gave him the nod. But yeah, I wouldn't really argue if someone else sees it differently.

Now the joy of my world is in Zion How beautiful if nothing more Than to wait at Zion's door I've never been in love like this before Now let me pray to keep you from The perils that will surely come
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
4/18/2013  8:31 PM
What I love about JJ is that the dude never gets hurt. He is very good at avoiding contact and eluding defenders
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
4/18/2013  8:36 PM
I would like to see Woodson get COY but I would be fine with MJax. I like Tobias Harris for most improved. He has been amazing. I think JR should get 6th man. I haven't thought a lot about the other awards.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
4/18/2013  9:10 PM
Don't forget Grunwald for Exec of the year

JR has the best chance at an award

Does Melo get an award for winning the scoring title?

CrushAlot
USA
4/18/2013  9:12 PM
Melo might make first team all nba. He is the scoring leader, should get player of the month for April and is second in Sheridan's MVP Rankings.
yellowboy90
Member: #3538

4/18/2013  9:34 PM
CrushAlot wrote:Melo might make first team all nba. He is the scoring leader, should get player of the month for April and is second in Sheridan's MVP Rankings.

I doubt it. Durant & Bron had better years.

CrushAlot
USA
4/18/2013  9:40 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:Melo might make first team all nba. He is the scoring leader, should get player of the month for April and is second in Sheridan's MVP Rankings.

I doubt it. Durant & Bron had better years.

Espn has him top 5 in mvp balloting also. Not sure where they have him.
Dagger
Member: #4184

4/18/2013  9:41 PM

Melo's problem is that he's forever labeled as the 3rd best forward in the league. problem is there's only two forward spots on the all-nba team.

CrushAlot
USA
4/18/2013  9:44 PM
Dagger wrote:

Melo's problem is that he's forever labeled as the 3rd best forward in the league. problem is there's only two forward spots on the all-nba team.

True. Hoping he can bump Durant in two places. Maybe that $25000 fine for menacing is a signal that the nba doesn't see him as wearing a halo anymore.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
4/19/2013  9:40 AM
swiped this from RealGM:

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
CashMoney
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #3374
USA
4/19/2013  9:49 AM
martin wrote:swiped this from RealGM:

AWESOME!!!!

Blue & Orange 4 Life!
Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
4/19/2013  9:57 AM
Personally I think the 6Man award is bogus. What's the point? JR could and should be a starter on this team. That he comes off the bench is a gimmick. He still plays 30-40 minutes every night. They need to tighten up the definition of the term 6th man.
ChuckBuck
Alba Posts: 11
Member: #3806
USA
4/19/2013  10:24 AM
Panos wrote:Personally I think the 6Man award is bogus. What's the point? JR could and should be a starter on this team. That he comes off the bench is a gimmick. He still plays 30-40 minutes every night. They need to tighten up the definition of the term 6th man.

It's an excellent weapon to have. All the better teams in history have employed this strategy. From Wikipedia:

The sixth man in basketball is a player who is not a starter but comes off the bench much more often than other reserves, often being the first player to be substituted in. The sixth man often plays minutes equal to or exceeding some of the starters and posts similar statistics. He is often a player who can play multiple positions, hence his utility in substituting often. For example, Kevin McHale, a famous sixth man who played for the Boston Celtics in the 1980s, variably played center and power forward. The presence of a good sixth man is often a sign of excellence. It usually means that a team has excellent depth, as the sixth man is usually more than talented enough to start for most teams.

The 80s Celtics used Kevin McHale in this role, the 90s Bulls Toni Kukoc, Manu in the 2000s. If you're a coach and have starting caliber depth coming from the bench, why not?

VCoug

4/19/2013  10:55 AM
ChuckBuck wrote:
Panos wrote:Personally I think the 6Man award is bogus. What's the point? JR could and should be a starter on this team. That he comes off the bench is a gimmick. He still plays 30-40 minutes every night. They need to tighten up the definition of the term 6th man.

It's an excellent weapon to have. All the better teams in history have employed this strategy. From Wikipedia:

The sixth man in basketball is a player who is not a starter but comes off the bench much more often than other reserves, often being the first player to be substituted in. The sixth man often plays minutes equal to or exceeding some of the starters and posts similar statistics. He is often a player who can play multiple positions, hence his utility in substituting often. For example, Kevin McHale, a famous sixth man who played for the Boston Celtics in the 1980s, variably played center and power forward. The presence of a good sixth man is often a sign of excellence. It usually means that a team has excellent depth, as the sixth man is usually more than talented enough to start for most teams.

The 80s Celtics used Kevin McHale in this role, the 90s Bulls Toni Kukoc, Manu in the 2000s. If you're a coach and have starting caliber depth coming from the bench, why not?

I don't think Kukoc should count. In JR's case he's, by far, our best backcourt player but comes off the bench. Kukoc wasn't better than anyone starting over him.

ChuckBuck
USA
4/19/2013  11:02 AM    LAST EDITED: 4/19/2013  11:04 AM
VCoug wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:

I don't think Kukoc should count. In JR's case he's, by far, our best backcourt player but comes off the bench. Kukoc wasn't better than anyone starting over him.

Sure he was. Ron Harper, Luc Longley? Sure he was.

Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
4/19/2013  11:05 AM
VCoug wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:

I think you nailed it. You really shouldn't be considered if you're better than who is starting ahead of you. Clearly JR is our best SG.

VCoug

4/19/2013  11:46 AM
ChuckBuck wrote:
VCoug wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:

Kukoc wasn't better than anyone starting over him at a position he could play.

ChuckBuck
USA
4/19/2013  11:50 AM
VCoug wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:
VCoug wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:

Kukoc wasn't better than anyone starting over him at a position he could play.

The Bulls would play small sometimes with Rodman at Center. Kukoc could play from 2 all the way to PowerForward. Sometimes he'd dribble the ball up like a PointForward.

End of the season awards... Who ya got?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy