Author Thread
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
1/11/2013  12:06 AM
NYDiva wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:
NYDiva wrote:JR was 10-29 tonight. JR kept chucking away when he absolutely did not have it. JR's play was detrimental to the team tonight. So I have every reason to be critical of him. He is certainly not above this.

Having him come off the bench keeps him in the 'energizer/instant offense' role that usually works for the team. He can be the focus of the offense vs an opponent's second unit and score off of those guys. But he should not be starting - he is too erratic & still lacks the discipline to make smarter decisions offensively when his shot is off. Thankfully, it appears that Woodson agrees with me.

Really? Woodspn said JR took good shots. He allowed Smith to run the offense. I think Woodson's offensive philosophy is part of the problem

Yet he keeps him on the bench. Seems to think he best belongs there. Which means he agrees with me, no? If he didn't, he'd be starting JR. Seems like simple enough logic.

oh right absolutely. Woodson's offensive philosophy might be shaky but he is not stupid

AUTOADVERT
NYDiva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #4387

1/11/2013  12:11 AM
Anji wrote:Woody doesn't agree with you, he wants the offense to run through JR's hands every second Melo is off the court. You can call it "energizer/instant offense" or what ever, but JR spends about 15 minutes as the top gun in ever game we play.

To say that he is too erratic to be that guy, while he every game for about a quarter and anytime we are without Melo (injury/foul/spen) is speaking out both sides off your mouth.

He would be better living off of the play off Melo and our pick and roll IMO. That would be the 3rd option.

I'm thinking the bold is some kind of typo but I can't figure out your point there. Can you clarify? Not sure how I'm supposedly speaking out both sides of my mouth? I'm pretty clear on the fact that I think JR is best utilized off the bench and as the focal point of the offense vs the opposing team's second unit.

Overall, I am okay with JR. But he's not a perfect player, he can certainly be erratic, and I think it's okay to be critical of his play after he goes 10-29 in a game. *shrugs*

Clean
Member: #743
1/11/2013  12:28 AM
I am not exactly sure who else you wanted to take JR's shots. No one else could do anything but dribble around aimlessly.
gunsnewing
USA
1/11/2013  12:30 AM
Clean wrote:I am not exactly sure who else you wanted to take JR's shots. No one else could do anything but dribble around aimlessly.

Prigs pick and roll with Amare/Tyson and drive and kick to Kidd and Novak

Clean
Member: #743
1/11/2013  12:44 AM
gunsnewing wrote:
Clean wrote:I am not exactly sure who else you wanted to take JR's shots. No one else could do anything but dribble around aimlessly.

Prigs pick and roll with Amare/Tyson and drive and kick to Kidd and Novak

Those thing you said don't work becasue our PGs are to slow to break down the D. This is why all those easy Chandler dunks we loved when felton was here is not happening as much. Felton could drive to the hoop to draw in the D, kidd has 0 chance to do that and prigs is able to do it like once or twice a game.

gunsnewing
USA
1/11/2013  12:45 AM
Need Amare and Tyson to set picks for Prigs and roll to the basket
Anji
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #1122
USA
1/11/2013  1:06 AM
NYDiva wrote:
Anji wrote:Woody doesn't agree with you, he wants the offense to run through JR's hands every second Melo is off the court. You can call it "energizer/instant offense" or what ever, but JR spends about 15 minutes as the top gun in ever game we play.

To say that he is too erratic to be that guy, while he every game for about a quarter and anytime we are without Melo (injury/foul/spen) is speaking out both sides off your mouth.

He would be better living off of the play off Melo and our pick and roll IMO. That would be the 3rd option.

I'm thinking the bold is some kind of typo but I can't figure out your point there. Can you clarify? Not sure how I'm supposedly speaking out both sides of my mouth? I'm pretty clear on the fact that I think JR is best utilized off the bench and as the focal point of the offense vs the opposing team's second unit.

Overall, I am okay with JR. But he's not a perfect player, he can certainly be erratic, and I think it's okay to be critical of his play after he goes 10-29 in a game. *shrugs*

And JR showed tonight why he shouldn't start. He is great off the bench but when the O focuses on him too much, he goes into straight Chucky Smith mode. Not pretty.

I'm pretty clear on the fact that I think JR is best utilized off the bench and as the focal point of the offense vs the opposing team's second unit.

How is this pretty clear???

Anyway, my point is every game JR Smith is expected to go chuck Smith as the number option for about 15 of his 32 minutes he plays or just over a quarter. I don't see how this game shows he shouldn't start when all 32 of his minutes as a starter would be spent as the third option. It's being critical without even staying on point, what happened in today's game would more likely happen with JR coming off the bench being the number 1 option, than having to work off of Melo and the TC/Felton pick and roll.

IE) He spends more time as the teams number 1 coming of the bench versus starting.

"Really, all Americans want is a cold beer, warm p***y, and some place to s**t with a door on it." - Mr. Ford
sebstar
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #249
USA
1/11/2013  1:20 AM
StarksEwing1 wrote:The Knicks are starting to fall apart. Thank god we got off to an epic start of the season but we have been prett mediore for close to a month now. I dont make excuses about injuries because every team has tough injuries

name the team with injuries that are comparable to ours, and post their records please.

My saliva and spit can split thread into fiber and bits/ So trust me I'm as live as it gets. --Royce Da 5'9 + DJ Premier = Hip Hop Utopia
Hersports85
Member: #4397

1/11/2013  2:39 AM
sebstar wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:The Knicks are starting to fall apart. Thank god we got off to an epic start of the season but we have been prett mediore for close to a month now. I dont make excuses about injuries because every team has tough injuries

name the team with injuries that are comparable to ours, and post their records please.

Exactly, Melo been playing through injuries, Amare is working himself back, still haven't seen our starting backcourt (felton and Shump) and now Felton is out along with shump, No Sheed, Camby still trying to get into game shape, Brewer playing through knee problems, which he will probably get surgery in the off season, and Kidd playing way more mins than expected

And you guys have the nerve to complain because we are 23-12 ... WOW!!!!! Guess what, Miami been healthy this year and is 23-11. Besides, look at our schedule until March ... we will be fine. Hate that our team is unable to go through a rough patch without being turned on by fans, especially when injuries are playing a huge part in it.

NYDiva

1/11/2013  2:46 AM
Anji wrote:
NYDiva wrote:

And JR showed tonight why he shouldn't start. He is great off the bench but when the O focuses on him too much, he goes into straight Chucky Smith mode. Not pretty.

I'm pretty clear on the fact that I think JR is best utilized off the bench and as the focal point of the offense vs the opposing team's second unit.

Anyway, my point is every game JR Smith is expected to go chuck Smith as the number option for about 15 of his 32 minutes he plays or just over a quarter. I don't see how this game shows he shouldn't start when all 32 of his minutes as a starter would be spent as the third option. It's being critical without even staying on point, what happened in today's game would more likely happen with JR coming off the bench being the number 1 option, than having to work off of Melo and the TC/Felton pick and roll.

IE) He spends more time as the teams number 1 coming of the bench versus starting.

I think it's VERY clear what my point is about JR. I really don't know how I can make myself any more clear. Any further statements would lead to [even more] of a repetitive, circular argument.

Bottom line, you think JR should start despite his erratic tendencies. I don't. I think he's best off the bench. The coaching staff appears to agree with me. There you have it. G'night.

Anji
USA
1/11/2013  5:15 AM
NYDiva wrote:
Anji wrote:
NYDiva wrote:

I think it's VERY clear what my point is about JR. I really don't know how I can make myself any more clear. Any further statements would lead to [even more] of a repetitive, circular argument.

Bottom line, you think JR should start despite his erratic tendencies. I don't. I think he's best off the bench. The coaching staff appears to agree with me. There you have it. G'night.

Good Morning

Even though I knew where you were going, it wasn't clear and makes zero sense.

Our guards were tripping over themselves to get the ball back to Jr in the half court because they can't beat anybody off the dribble, but you felt it was important to point out this why JR shouldn't start??? While Woodson is riding for 40 minutes against the number 1 D in the league???

Knicks give up 19 Plus points on turnovers, 5 of which from Kidd the great, but Jr's 10-29 is the critical play of concern??? *Shrugs*

"Really, all Americans want is a cold beer, warm p***y, and some place to s**t with a door on it." - Mr. Ford
NYDiva

1/11/2013  8:11 AM
Wasn't aware that I was required to address all of the Knicks issues last night, b/c I dared to criticize JR's 10-29 shooting performance. But, yes, 19+ points on turnovers is concerning. I expressed earlier in the thread that the team is missing Felton. Kidd just doesn't have the legs to play the kind of minutes he is.

What is unclear about the fact that I simply believe that JR is best utilized off the bench rather than as a starter? I gave my reasons why; you don't agree. Coaching staff does. That is the end of the subject on this as far as I'm concerned.

dk7th
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #4228
USA
1/11/2013  8:11 AM
Anji wrote:
NYDiva wrote:
Anji wrote:
NYDiva wrote:

Good Morning

Our guards were tripping over themselves to get the ball back to Jr in the half court because they can't beat anybody off the dribble, but you felt it was important to point out this why JR shouldn't start??? While Woodson is riding for 40 minutes against the number 1 D in the league???

Knicks give up 19 Plus points on turnovers, 5 of which from Kidd the great, but Jr's 10-29 is the critical play of concern??? *Shrugs*

jr shouldn't start because he needs the ball in his hands and he is a shoot first player. that's not a good player to have as your starter when you already have two other players who do pretty much the same thing. plus he doesn't draw enough fouls realtive to the number of shots he takes. drawing fouls is what solid starters do more than bench players. where he would be able to earn some genuine minutes is to become more of a harden-type player or a manu-type player. someone who is a playmaker for others, who gets to the line. these are guys whose games smith actually has the potential to emulate. last night his game was closer to hardened manure.

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
Anji
USA
1/11/2013  8:26 AM
NYDiva wrote:Wasn't aware that I was required to address all of the Knicks issues last night, b/c I dared to criticize JR's 10-29 shooting performance. But, yes, 19+ points on turnovers is concerning. I expressed earlier in the thread that the team is missing Felton. Kidd just doesn't have the legs to play the kind of minutes he is.

What is unclear about the fact that I simply believe that JR is best utilized off the bench rather than as a starter? I gave my reasons why; you don't agree. Coaching staff does. That is the end of the subject on this as far as I'm concerned.

I never said anybody is required to do anything, all I said was how does tonight show why JR shouldn't start???
Anji
USA
1/11/2013  8:36 AM
dk7th wrote:
Anji wrote:
NYDiva wrote:
Anji wrote:
NYDiva wrote:

Good Morning

jr shouldn't start because he needs the ball in his hands and he is a shoot first player. that's not a good player to have as your starter when you already have two other players who do pretty much the same thing. plus he doesn't draw enough fouls realtive to the number of shots he takes. drawing fouls is what solid starters do more than bench players. where he would be able to earn some genuine minutes is to become more of a harden-type player or a manu-type player. someone who is a playmaker for others, who gets to the line. these are guys whose games smith actually has the potential to emulate. last night his game was closer to hardened manure.

There is no assist to free throw starter ratio and who is the other shoot first starter that needs the ball in his hands??? Not that I agree JR is a gunner only this season.

He is the best all round guard the knicks have right now, no team should sit that player for the specialist. He has effected the game with his rebounding, assists, and defense every game, what team benches that guard for Brewer or even overrated Kidd??

yellowboy90
Member: #3538

1/11/2013  8:46 AM
Jr had a bad game but I wouldn't say he was just chucking. How many times did the offense stall because he was doing a pnr with Chandler over and over then pass off to get the ball back. Can he pass it to Chandler nope. Can kidd penetrate? Rarely. Will Brewer shoot? Not anymore. The offense may haved worked with Prigi, Kidd, and Jr but that lineup was only available at the end because of minutes.

Once Camby left there was not any other player actively trying on O

IronWillGiroud
Member: #4359

1/11/2013  8:58 AM
I'm not too worried about this one, Melo got some rest and he will be fresh and hungry to drop buckets next game, don't worry about this
The Will, check out the Official Home of Will's GameDay Art: http://tinyurl.com/thewillgameday
AnubisADL
Alba Posts: 13
Member: #2771
USA
1/11/2013  9:01 AM
Didnt even watch the 2nd half. 1st half was painful to watch.

Trade deadline fast approaching too.

NY Knicks - Retirement home for players and GMs
dk7th
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #4228
USA
1/11/2013  9:13 AM
Anji wrote:
dk7th wrote:
Anji wrote:
NYDiva wrote:
Anji wrote:
NYDiva wrote:

Good Morning

There is no assist to free throw starter ratio and who is the other shoot first starter that needs the ball in his hands??? Not that I agree JR is a gunner only this season.

He is the best all round guard the knicks have right now, no team should sit that player for the specialist. He has effected the game with his rebounding, assists, and defense every game, what team benches that guard for Brewer or even overrated Kidd??

you can't have jr sharing the floor with carmelo AND felton. it would be subtraction by addition. same exact thing in okc with harden westbrook and durant. there's just so many shots to go around and harden is incomparably better than smith. his best role is a as a playmaker and scorer off he bench, and in that order.

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
yellowboy90
Member: #3538

1/11/2013  9:41 AM
dk7th wrote:
Anji wrote:
dk7th wrote:
Anji wrote:
NYDiva wrote:
Anji wrote:
NYDiva wrote:

Good Morning

you can't have jr sharing the floor with carmelo AND felton. it would be subtraction by addition. same exact thing in okc with harden westbrook and durant. there's just so many shots to go around and harden is incomparably better than smith. his best role is a as a playmaker and scorer off he bench, and in that order.

Actually Jr best role is off the ball as a catch and shoot player and secondary ball handler.

GAME THREAD: KNICKS @ PACERS 8 PM TNT - Time to Start Another Winning Streak

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy