[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Game Thread: The Return of Pringles: Knicks vs. Lakers Thursday 8PM
Author Thread
AnubisADL
Alba Posts: 13
Member: #2771
USA
12/14/2012  11:05 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/14/2012  11:06 AM
I almost felt bad for D'Antoni last night.

He should have went to a young team with low expectations.

He needs to stop being stubborn and modify his offense to suit the personnel.

NY Knicks - Retirement home for players and GMs
AUTOADVERT
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
12/14/2012  11:05 AM
NYKMentality wrote:Tyson Chandler went head to head with Dwight Howard tonight. Competed against Dwight Howard blow for blow (as always).

Dwight Howard: 38 minutes. 20 points off 8/11 shooting, 7 boards, 1 block, 1 assist and 2 turnovers.
Tyson Chandler: 36 minutes. 18 points off 5/5 shooting, 4 boards, 1 block, 2 assists and 1 turnover.

Dwight Howard gets all the hype as the best Center around due to his ability to score with volume numbers and/or rebound off the boards like a machine, but Tyson Chandler is a more efficient scorer, doesn't kill his team at the free throw line, a much better leader when compared to Dwight Howard, impacts on the defensive end just as much (if not more) when compared to Howard and last but not least, has something in which Dwight Howard doesn't; which is an NBA Championship after helping to eliminate the Miami Heat as the Mavericks starting Center.

There are some really good Center's in todays NBA such as Marc Gasol (very impressive), Andrew Bynum (when healthy), DeMarcus Cousins (on a losing team) and Dwight Howard, but as of today's NBA? I couldn't ask for a more productive Center when compared to Tyson Chandler. He's a natural leader. A true defensive force. A championship winning Center. Cleans up anything and everything near the proximity of the rim. Excellent finisher down low. Amazing I.Q in regards to the Center position and/or what it takes to win down low. He's a true 7'1 Center. Can compete with anyone off the boards (currently ranked 14th with 9.6 boards per game). He also includes a good 2-4 tip-out's per game in which doesn't get credited as a rebound for whatever reason that may be. So, his season average of 9.6 boards per game is deceiving in an underrated way.

But is DHoward healthy?

And Tyson was hardly the centerpiece of the Mavericks.

Don't get me wrong, I am much happier having Tyson on this team then I would be with DHoward. Tyson is fierce, he's focused, he seems to be a perfect fit for Woody, and comes with little to no drama.

Howard, when at the top of his game, which I just don't see him being right now, is a frightening player. He deserves the hype. And the criticism. He's a centerpiece player, so to speak.

Tyson is what he is, which for this Knicks team, is perfect. But he's not someone you'd build a franchise around.

jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
12/14/2012  11:07 AM
mattshaw78 wrote:

Oooooooooh....Nash somehow bolts for NY next season? The Knicks, the first team with a four-headed PG monster?

I love what winning does.

VCoug
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1406

12/14/2012  11:16 AM
jrodmc wrote:
mattshaw78 wrote:

Oooooooooh....Nash somehow bolts for NY next season? The Knicks, the first team with a four-headed PG monster?

I love what winning does.

Nah, he's signed through 2014-15.

Now the joy of my world is in Zion How beautiful if nothing more Than to wait at Zion's door I've never been in love like this before Now let me pray to keep you from The perils that will surely come
VCoug

12/14/2012  11:22 AM
I meant to ask. Did anyone notice when Marv Albert said that Woodson is running a version of MDA's offense? I thought that was pretty funny considering all the gnashing of teeth around here when the same point was brought up.
Now the joy of my world is in Zion How beautiful if nothing more Than to wait at Zion's door I've never been in love like this before Now let me pray to keep you from The perils that will surely come
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
12/14/2012  11:26 AM
There is a difference between saying a version of MDA offense. Its obvious Woodson takes pieces from every coach. Then to say he is running MDA offense. We don't shot the ball in 7 secs less, we post up a lot more
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
12/14/2012  12:30 PM
gunsnewing wrote:There is a difference between saying a version of MDA offense. Its obvious Woodson takes pieces from every coach. Then to say he is running MDA offense. We don't shot the ball in 7 secs less, we post up a lot more

I don't think anybody here has said that Woody is running MDA offense but rather a version of it as Marv mentioned. To me, it seems the X-and-O part is there but Woody is telling them not to take the open shot but the open shot you want to take.

AnubisADL
USA
12/14/2012  12:40 PM
Marv Albert is speaking to the casual fan.

Knicks are running mesh of a few offenses. We still have alot of iso's for Carmelo.

Knicks are shooting 3's because we only have 1 consistent scorer in Melo.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
12/14/2012  1:07 PM
AnubisADL wrote:Marv Albert is speaking to the casual fan.

Knicks are running mesh of a few offenses. We still have alot of iso's for Carmelo.

Are you speaking to the casual fan too? Cause I see a ton of PnR with Chandler/Felton, I see a ton of kickouts too, etc.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
VCoug

12/14/2012  1:27 PM

Is Mike Woodson speaking to the casual fan?

High-speed pick-and-rolls with shooters spread all over the floor sounds a lot like former coach Mike D’Antoni’s system, and Woodson said before the game he has indeed swiped some of his predecessor’s philosophy. “I’ve used a lot of Mike’s system,” Woodson said, “but I’ve obviously tried to expand it to other things I like to do.”
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
12/14/2012  3:08 PM
MinsHeartsReezy wrote:
mrKnickShot wrote:
nixluva wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
nixluva wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
matt wrote:
FoeDiddy wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:D'Antoni is more tense then I have ever seen him.

He got saved by the Melo injury. It would have been worse if he kept on playing

I noticed that. He didn't look this bad until the very end of his NY stint

He looked stressed after the Jazz loss but this is worse.

Most NBA coaches hate to lose. Do you know any that enjoy that? He knows that he's not under the gun in LA after such a short time and with key players not being there. It's just annoying to watch guys play lousy BB. He'll be alright once they get healthy and they have more time to work with the team. Looks like Kobe and D12 are also not doing too good health wise.

He lost an awful lot in ny but I never saw him like tonight. He seemed close to breaking down. I am hard on him but I also watched almost 300 press conferences of his. Tonight was different.

Losing in NY those 1st 2 years was something they knew would happen. I don't get your point tho. Is he gonna quit soon knowing he's got Nash eventually coming back and a 3 yr deal? Don't be so glib about MDA going thru a tough stretch. I think ANY coach would be frustrated by losing the way they have. It's embarrassing and i'm sure he wanted to come in and get the team winning. Now that he's in the job he sees just how messed up the situation is and it's a tough spot to just jump into.

I believe that the Laker Brass will have to make changes to the roster and I think they will work with him to improve the team.

I love when GM's shake up MDA teams. It is the ultimate theatrical roller coaster.

It's a sad sight to see...his limp really makes the image that much worse poor guy. Even at the worst of times he always used his wit and humor to lighten things up. It would help if the players didn't look and speak as though they were completely hopeless too. Did they really think they would be a great team instantly? New coach, 2 new starters, 2 injured starters, no training camp, implementing the offense on the fly... They'll be fine in the long run but the short term looks as though it's draining the life from MDA. The pressure in LA can't be worse than it is in NY right?

If they weren't going to go with Bickerstaff or PJax they probably should have brought in Brian Shaw. Their roster suits the triangle. Not sure why D'Antoni was brought in other than the Nash connection.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
IronWillGiroud
Member: #4359

12/14/2012  5:39 PM
That was embarassing for D'Antoni
The Will, check out the Official Home of Will's GameDay Art: http://tinyurl.com/thewillgameday
Syniko
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3969

12/14/2012  6:11 PM
D'Antoni just can't seem to win in MSG.
AnubisADL
USA
12/14/2012  7:18 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/14/2012  7:19 PM
VCoug wrote:

High-speed pick-and-rolls with shooters spread all over the floor sounds a lot like former coach Mike D’Antoni’s system, and Woodson said before the game he has indeed swiped some of his predecessor’s philosophy. “I’ve used a lot of Mike’s system,” Woodson said, “but I’ve obviously tried to expand it to other things I like to do.”

Keywords are underlined.

He complimented D'Antoni then basically says he put his spin on it.

Seriously what do you think Woodson is going to say?

CrushAlot
USA
12/14/2012  7:32 PM
AnubisADL wrote:
VCoug wrote:

Keywords are underlined.

Ezctly. Woodson is a class act. He isn't going to insult or throw a guy under the bus. He has had a lot of influences and his half year with D'Antoni certainly influenced how the Knicks run their offense. However, being humble about your success is different then owing all credit or most credit for your teams offense to another coach. The Knicks played for D'Antoni for 3 1/2 years. The team that woodson went 18-6 with was coached by D'Antoni for 42 games last year and couldn't put it together.
VCoug

12/14/2012  9:08 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
AnubisADL wrote:
VCoug wrote:

Keywords are underlined.

Ezctly. Woodson is a class act. He isn't going to insult or throw a guy under the bus. He has had a lot of influences and his half year with D'Antoni certainly influenced how the Knicks run their offense. However, being humble about your success is different then owing all credit or most credit for your teams offense to another coach. The Knicks played for D'Antoni for 3 1/2 years. The team that woodson went 18-6 with was coached by D'Antoni for 42 games last year and couldn't put it together.

Do I need to go get the other thread? No one was saying that Woodson owed all or most of his credit to MDA, it was a simple observation that Woodson was running a slowed down version of it. The same observation made in recent games by Marv Albert and Wally Szczerbiak (or Alan Hahn? I can't remember which). It's now also been confirmed by Woodson himself.

CrushAlot
USA
12/14/2012  9:33 PM
VCoug wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
AnubisADL wrote:
VCoug wrote:

Keywords are underlined.

Do I need to go get the other thread? No one was saying that Woodson owed all or most of his credit to MDA, it was a simple observation that Woodson was running a slowed down version of it. The same observation made in recent games by Marv Albert and Wally Szczerbiak (or Alan Hahn? I can't remember which). It's now also been confirmed by Woodson himself.

He also said he had an iso player in atlanta in Joe Johnson and that he was comfortable with Melo playing that way. And he says he doesn't coach offense or yell at guys for offensive mistakes his concern is defense. Woodson has also been called one of the best play callers coming out of timeouts which D'Antoni was horrific at. Not sure why people are trying so hard to credit D'Antoni with some of what Woodson is doing. Woodson has talked about Larry Brown, Red Holtzman, and Bobby Knight. He was with D'Antoni for 42 games.
VCoug

12/14/2012  10:38 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
VCoug wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
AnubisADL wrote:
VCoug wrote:

Keywords are underlined.

He also said he had an iso player in atlanta in Joe Johnson and that he was comfortable with Melo playing that way. And he says he doesn't coach offense or yell at guys for offensive mistakes his concern is defense. Woodson has also been called one of the best play callers coming out of timeouts which D'Antoni was horrific at. Not sure why people are trying so hard to credit D'Antoni with some of what Woodson is doing. Woodson has talked about Larry Brown, Red Holtzman, and Bobby Knight. He was with D'Antoni for 42 games.

It was Woodson giving credit to MDA.

AnubisADL
USA
12/14/2012  10:46 PM
Woodson is not running a slowed down version of SSOL.

I guess Miami is running a slowed version of SSOL.

I guarantee if Woodson was losing no one would be trying to validate SSOL. ISO Melo was just as effective last year too.

CrushAlot
USA
12/14/2012  10:52 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/14/2012  10:55 PM
VCoug wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
VCoug wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
AnubisADL wrote:
VCoug wrote:

Keywords are underlined.

It was Woodson giving credit to MDA.

It was Woodson being polite and a class act. D'Ant should have returned his call when the lakers hired him.
Game Thread: The Return of Pringles: Knicks vs. Lakers Thursday 8PM

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy