[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Sportswriter "Mans Up" about Linsanity
Author Thread
knickscity
Posts: 24495
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 6/2/2012
Member: #4241
USA
12/1/2012  6:04 PM
We all knew Lin wasn't gonna be that good.

Players step up and shine all the time, no different than what Darren Collison did when CP3 was out.

AUTOADVERT
Bonn1997
Posts: 58315
Alba Posts: 2
Joined: 2/2/2004
Member: #581
USA
12/1/2012  11:22 PM
Anji wrote:What does that even mean????

It means our problem players get $100 mil contracts. Dolan takes extremely expensive bad gambles.
Bonn1997
Posts: 58315
Alba Posts: 2
Joined: 2/2/2004
Member: #581
USA
12/1/2012  11:23 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:I'm so glad he's Houston's problem and not ours.

I wish our problems were paid only $8 mil for 3 years

There are 14.9 million reasons in year three of his deal for him not to be in ny. This is misrepresenting things a bit.


Incorrect. You are the one misrepresenting the situation. His contract is for $8 mil in year 3.
CrushAlot
Posts: 55236
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/25/2003
Member: #452
USA
12/2/2012  1:35 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:I'm so glad he's Houston's problem and not ours.

I wish our problems were paid only $8 mil for 3 years

There are 14.9 million reasons in year three of his deal for him not to be in ny. This is misrepresenting things a bit.


Incorrect. You are the one misrepresenting the situation. His contract is for $8 mil in year 3.
No it wasn't. Because Houston is under the cap the average amount of his salary annually is what goes against the cap. However for NY year 3 was 14.9 mil, the poison pill. That is the year the new cba becomes so restrictive with salary cap penalties, player movement for teams over the cap, exceptions, and sign and trades. That year was so outrageous that guys as respectable as larry coon suggested the Knicks match and if things weren't working out waive Lin and stretch the 14.9 mil out. He would have been paid 5 mil his first two years in NY. Morey did the same thing with Chicago to get Asik. Houston's salary was incredibly low because they had cleared so much cap space to get d12. Some gms, Grunwald included, understood the new cba immediately and used their knowledge to their advantage. Morey took big risks with Lin and Asik. His Asik risk seems to be working out. Lin seems to be putting up better numbers recently so maybe that works out for him as well.
I hated that Lin wasn't resigned but with a vet team trying to beat the heat Felton, Kidd and Prigs at a reduced price is better for the Knicks.
I think we know what we're doing..... Phil Jackson
Syniko
Posts: 20806
Alba Posts: 1
Joined: 2/21/2012
Member: #3969

12/2/2012  4:05 AM
Why are Knicks fans in denial about Lin? Lin is only going to improve into an all-star player. We lost him. Let him go. There is no need to get ugly on him and wish him ill will.
IronWillGiroud
Posts: 25207
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 10/17/2012
Member: #4359

12/2/2012  5:12 AM
Lin has been on fire over the last 4 or 5 games, looking much closer to Linsanity than at any point before! He'll be alright, the win against New York was a confidence boost, he's really picked up his play since.
The Will, check out the Official Home of Will's GameDay Art: http://tinyurl.com/thewillgameday
Bonn1997
Posts: 58315
Alba Posts: 2
Joined: 2/2/2004
Member: #581
USA
12/2/2012  8:07 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:I'm so glad he's Houston's problem and not ours.

I wish our problems were paid only $8 mil for 3 years

There are 14.9 million reasons in year three of his deal for him not to be in ny. This is misrepresenting things a bit.


Incorrect. You are the one misrepresenting the situation. His contract is for $8 mil in year 3.
No it wasn't. Because Houston is under the cap the average amount of his salary annually is what goes against the cap. However for NY year 3 was 14.9 mil, the poison pill. That is the year the new cba becomes so restrictive with salary cap penalties, player movement for teams over the cap, exceptions, and sign and trades. That year was so outrageous that guys as respectable as larry coon suggested the Knicks match and if things weren't working out waive Lin and stretch the 14.9 mil out. He would have been paid 5 mil his first two years in NY. Morey did the same thing with Chicago to get Asik. Houston's salary was incredibly low because they had cleared so much cap space to get d12. Some gms, Grunwald included, understood the new cba immediately and used their knowledge to their advantage. Morey took big risks with Lin and Asik. His Asik risk seems to be working out. Lin seems to be putting up better numbers recently so maybe that works out for him as well.
I hated that Lin wasn't resigned but with a vet team trying to beat the heat Felton, Kidd and Prigs at a reduced price is better for the Knicks.

OK, the way you worded it "14.9 mil reasons in year 3 not to be in NY" made it sound like you thought he will be paid $14.9 mil dollars not to be in NY (or to be in Houston) in year 3. As a GM, I never would have let the Knicks' payroll get in the situation they were in with Lin. So I view the idea of either losing Lin for nothing or giving him $14.9 in year 3 as a false choice.
Bonn1997
Posts: 58315
Alba Posts: 2
Joined: 2/2/2004
Member: #581
USA
12/2/2012  8:08 AM
Syniko wrote:Why are Knicks fans in denial about Lin? Lin is only going to improve into an all-star player. We lost him. Let him go. There is no need to get ugly on him and wish him ill will.

This is basically his rookie or at most sophomore season.
VCoug
Posts: 24666
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 3/28/2007
Member: #1406

12/2/2012  10:00 AM
We are going to be over the luxury tax anyway when Lin's poison pill came up in 2014-15. The only thing Lin's contract would have done is push us further over the luxury tax threshold. Besides, it's certainly reasonable to believe if we would have just offered him the max, around $5M/year, none of this would have ever happened
Knicksfans Forzingis!
CashMoney
Posts: 23090
Alba Posts: 4
Joined: 1/15/2011
Member: #3374
USA
12/2/2012  10:07 AM
VCoug wrote:We are going to be over the luxury tax anyway when Lin's poison pill came up in 2014-15. The only thing Lin's contract would have done is push us further over the luxury tax threshold. Besides, it's certainly reasonable to believe if we would have just offered him the max, around $5M/year, none of this would have ever happened

Assuming he would have accepted that contract.

Blue & Orange 4 Life!
Bonn1997
Posts: 58315
Alba Posts: 2
Joined: 2/2/2004
Member: #581
USA
12/2/2012  10:17 AM
CashMoney wrote:
VCoug wrote:We are going to be over the luxury tax anyway when Lin's poison pill came up in 2014-15. The only thing Lin's contract would have done is push us further over the luxury tax threshold. Besides, it's certainly reasonable to believe if we would have just offered him the max, around $5M/year, none of this would have ever happened

Assuming he would have accepted that contract.


VCoug did not assume Lin would have accepted the contract; he just stated that it was a possibility.
foosballnick
Posts: 20753
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 6/17/2010
Member: #3148

12/2/2012  11:14 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:I'm so glad he's Houston's problem and not ours.

I wish our problems were paid only $8 mil for 3 years

There are 14.9 million reasons in year three of his deal for him not to be in ny. This is misrepresenting things a bit.


Incorrect. You are the one misrepresenting the situation. His contract is for $8 mil in year 3.
No it wasn't. Because Houston is under the cap the average amount of his salary annually is what goes against the cap. However for NY year 3 was 14.9 mil, the poison pill. That is the year the new cba becomes so restrictive with salary cap penalties, player movement for teams over the cap, exceptions, and sign and trades. That year was so outrageous that guys as respectable as larry coon suggested the Knicks match and if things weren't working out waive Lin and stretch the 14.9 mil out. He would have been paid 5 mil his first two years in NY. Morey did the same thing with Chicago to get Asik. Houston's salary was incredibly low because they had cleared so much cap space to get d12. Some gms, Grunwald included, understood the new cba immediately and used their knowledge to their advantage. Morey took big risks with Lin and Asik. His Asik risk seems to be working out. Lin seems to be putting up better numbers recently so maybe that works out for him as well.
I hated that Lin wasn't resigned but with a vet team trying to beat the heat Felton, Kidd and Prigs at a reduced price is better for the Knicks.

OK, the way you worded it "14.9 mil reasons in year 3 not to be in NY" made it sound like you thought he will be paid $14.9 mil dollars not to be in NY (or to be in Houston) in year 3. As a GM, I never would have let the Knicks' payroll get in the situation they were in with Lin. So I view the idea of either losing Lin for nothing or giving him $14.9 in year 3 as a false choice.

Sorry, the whole "false choice" answer is a cop out. It was a very real choice in a very real situation for a relatively new GM. Even if you had the chops and talent to be an NBA GM, you would not start with a clean slate. Grunwald was not the architect who not put the team in it's current cap situation. So it is actually a very good question, to take the Lin poison pill or not?

CrushAlot
Posts: 55236
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/25/2003
Member: #452
USA
12/2/2012  11:18 AM
VCoug wrote:We are going to be over the luxury tax anyway when Lin's poison pill came up in 2014-15. The only thing Lin's contract would have done is push us further over the luxury tax threshold. Besides, it's certainly reasonable to believe if we would have just offered him the max, around $5M/year, none of this would have ever happened

I don't think you fire your agent and go with a high powered one if that is your plan.

I think we know what we're doing..... Phil Jackson
smackeddog
Posts: 32464
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 3/30/2005
Member: #883
12/2/2012  11:21 AM
VCoug wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:I'm so glad he's Houston's problem and not ours.

I wish our problems were paid only $8 mil for 3 years

There are 14.9 million reasons in year three of his deal for him not to be in ny. This is misrepresenting things a bit.

It amazes me that some people care how much James Dolan pays in luxury tax.

No one cares how much Dolan plays in luxury tax, but there is a point at which he'll refuse to add any more salary to the team because of it. With Lin's $15mil, and, what $30mil tax, there's no way he would have shelled out anymore (on top of Amar'e, Tyson and Melo)- that would have meant definitely no JR Smith and no MLE spending going forward.

smackeddog
Posts: 32464
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 3/30/2005
Member: #883
12/2/2012  11:23 AM
Syniko wrote:Why are Knicks fans in denial about Lin? Lin is only going to improve into an all-star player. We lost him. Let him go. There is no need to get ugly on him and wish him ill will.

Hmm, didn't you start a thread last week saying the exact opposite?

smackeddog
Posts: 32464
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 3/30/2005
Member: #883
12/2/2012  11:27 AM
IronWillGiroud wrote:Lin has been on fire over the last 4 or 5 games, looking much closer to Linsanity than at any point before! He'll be alright, the win against New York was a confidence boost, he's really picked up his play since.

You have a strange definition of 'on fire'! He's been playing better but not great. Still up and down. He'll probably be better by the end of the season, but so far he hasn't done anything that makes me miss him at all.

ActionJackson
Posts: 21396
Alba Posts: 1
Joined: 7/5/2007
Member: #1602

12/2/2012  11:28 AM
Why is Lin making the most of the financial opportunities afforded to him by his athletic talents & making the best fiscal choice possible applauded here by some but derided when other players (ie: Melo & LeBron) do the same???
smackeddog
Posts: 32464
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 3/30/2005
Member: #883
12/2/2012  11:30 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/2/2012  11:30 AM
ActionJackson wrote:Why is Lin making the most of the financial opportunities afforded to him by his athletic talents & making the best fiscal choice possible applauded here by some but derided when other players (ie: Melo & LeBron) do the same???

Because Lin can do no wrong, and has evolved to the point where he can only be held up to a completely different set of standards than any other player in the league.

CrushAlot
Posts: 55236
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/25/2003
Member: #452
USA
12/2/2012  11:35 AM
IronWillGiroud wrote:Lin has been on fire over the last 4 or 5 games, looking much closer to Linsanity than at any point before! He'll be alright, the win against New York was a confidence boost, he's really picked up his play since.
He had a good game last night. I don't know about on fire though. He has only scored in single digits twice in the last 5 games. He has only had one game where he had 5 turnovers in the last 5. His shooting percentage has improved and he has dropped his turnovers but on fire?
I think we know what we're doing..... Phil Jackson
MS
Posts: 25866
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/28/2004
Member: #724
12/2/2012  12:19 PM
So just to be fair signing a 39 year old that is having back spasms already in the first year of his three year deal and the coprse of Marcus Camby to a three year deal makes sense??

The contract was absurd, but the kid looks like he isn't 100 percent yet. He can still drop 20 and get you double figure assists. If you have unlimited money you just don't let players walk. Especially young players.

He hasn't been impressive to date, but let's give it a little time. The Knicks are playing great ball.

Sportswriter "Mans Up" about Linsanity

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.com All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.