Game Thread: Knicks vs. Grizz on the road for one more Test
Author Thread
TeamBall
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #4386

11/17/2012  12:45 AM
holfresh wrote:
TeamBall wrote:
holfresh wrote:I get why Woody put Melo on Gasol...It's the second night of a back to back...We needed Melo offensively so Gasol was the easier cover...

Wait, how?

Zebo has more moves..Melo would have to expend more energy on defense..

But guarding Gasol couldnt have been an easier cover cause he just hooked it over Melo or found an open guy when doubled. Putting Melo on Gasol also put Tyson on Zbo which just didnt work out well for us. Melo guarding Gasol kind of threw our defense off.

Knicksfan: Hypocrite league that fines players after the game for flopping but in the game and with obvious flopping they call the fouls.
AUTOADVERT
IrishKnickFan
Member: #4171

11/17/2012  12:47 AM
well the next time we play them we will have amare/shump and they will be in the garden so i expect a different outcome
holfresh
Member: #1081

11/17/2012  12:48 AM
IrishKnickFan wrote:
holfresh wrote:
IrishKnickFan wrote:
holfresh wrote:Memphis is a good team that's been playing together a while...
nobody disputes that. Playing the spurs/memphis back to back is tough for any team

It's the NBA, every team has to do that..no excuses...

dude its one loss we were the last unbeaten team. i mean good for memphis but i still think we are better

ok

holfresh

11/17/2012  12:49 AM
TeamBall wrote:
holfresh wrote:
TeamBall wrote:
holfresh wrote:I get why Woody put Melo on Gasol...It's the second night of a back to back...We needed Melo offensively so Gasol was the easier cover...

Wait, how?

But guarding Gasol couldnt have been an easier cover cause he just hooked it over Melo or found an open guy when doubled. Putting Melo on Gasol also put Tyson on Zbo which just didnt work out well for us. Melo guarding Gasol kind of threw our defense off.

But who do u think Melo would expend more energy guarding??

TeamBall

11/17/2012  12:56 AM
holfresh wrote:
TeamBall wrote:
holfresh wrote:
TeamBall wrote:

Wait, how?

You're right that he would expand more energy guarding Rudy but I just dont think the additional negatives of him guarding Gasol is worth it. Not to mention, Woodson had a whole half to see that it didnt work yet he still went with it anyway.

Knicksfan: Hypocrite league that fines players after the game for flopping but in the game and with obvious flopping they call the fouls.
holfresh

11/17/2012  1:00 AM
TeamBall wrote:
holfresh wrote:
TeamBall wrote:
holfresh wrote:
TeamBall wrote:

Wait, how?

You're right that he would expand more energy guarding Rudy but I just dont think the additional negatives of him guarding Gasol is worth it. Not to mention, Woodson had a whole half to see that it didnt work yet he still went with it anyway.

I could be wrong but in the first half Woody iso Melo a lot...It's a bit much to ask Melo to do on a back to back night...

3G4G
Member: #4333

11/17/2012  1:02 AM
IrishKnickFan wrote:
holfresh wrote:
IrishKnickFan wrote:
holfresh wrote:Memphis is a good team that's been playing together a while...
nobody disputes that. Playing the spurs/memphis back to back is tough for any team

It's the NBA, every team has to do that..no excuses...

dude its one loss we were the last unbeaten team. i mean good for memphis but i still think we are better

We've had a pretty mild schedule up until this week. If you look across the league we've played the fewest amount of games.

Mray20
Member: #3138

11/17/2012  1:05 AM
This was the only game where I have questioned Woody, Melo had no business guarding 7'1 Gasol I wanted to see Kurt Thomas earlier or Marcus Camby in there because Chandler was just horrible on the boards, This will not be an issue next time they play in March, 6'11 Amare will be on Zbo and maybe he can't guard him but I know damn well Zbo cannot guard Amare either, Tyson will be on Gasol and Melo will be back at his natural 3 spot going at Gay, Knick didn't have Shump to lock down Connolly either , it's one game no need to panic but this small ball will be a problem against the bigger teams, They need Amare like it or not.
No layups!
NYKMentality
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #4385

11/17/2012  1:20 AM
We beat ourselves tonight. During the thrid quarter is where we lost the game. Fell apart due to A.) Each and every call going the Grizzlies way B.) We deserves these calls for C.) Arguing, staring, laughing, pretty much dancing at the refs. Focused too much of our energy against the refs, instead of focusing on stopping the bleeding earlier in which we did.

Proud of this Knicks team. Not only for fighting back during the 4th quarter, but for starting off 6-1. Here's to another win streak come Sunday against the Pacers. An afternoon game. At home. 7-1 is the goal. We can match the 93-94 team with a win come Sunday. That 94 team started off 7-1 as well.

sidsanders
Member: #2426

11/17/2012  1:26 AM
NYKMentality wrote:We beat ourselves tonight. During the thrid quarter is where we lost the game. Fell apart due to A.) Each and every call going the Grizzlies way B.) We deserves these calls for C.) Arguing, staring, laughing, pretty much dancing at the refs. Focused too much of our energy against the refs, instead of focusing on stopping the bleeding earlier in which we did.

Proud of this Knicks team. Not only for fighting back during the 4th quarter, but for starting off 6-1. Here's to another win streak come Sunday against the Pacers. An afternoon game. At home. 7-1 is the goal. We can match the 93-94 team with a win come Sunday. That 94 team started off 7-1 as well.

agree except on the bold part. thats something they have done even in the more recent dark times. defense wasnt good enough on this one. this will be interesting how they take it to the pacer game (prevent the start of a negative streak).

long winning streaks with very short losing streaks would be $$$ of course.

GO TEAM VENTURE!!!!!
smackeddog
Member: #883
11/17/2012  3:07 AM
Ed Malloy was the ref during the first game we had vs Miami in the playoffs. I also saw him pull the same c*** later in the playoffs again with Miami, and I've seen him do it vs Boston a couple of years ago. He seems to get high for the home team, then goes beserk with the one sided fouls then with the technicals. He's either incompetent and gets swept away by the crowd cheering or he's dodgy.
Mray20
Member: #3138

11/17/2012  3:37 AM
smackeddog wrote:Ed Malloy was the ref during the first game we had vs Miami in the playoffs. I also saw him pull the same c*** later in the playoffs again with Miami, and I've seen him do it vs Boston a couple of years ago. He seems to get high for the home team, then goes beserk with the one sided fouls then with the technicals. He's either incompetent and gets swept away by the crowd cheering or he's dodgy.

I remember that game vividly and tonight it was eerily similar the momentum went completely the other way in both occasions as a result of not stop whistles for one team
No layups!
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/17/2012  8:06 AM
Knicks were "Grumpy old men" last nite!
CashMoney
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #3374
USA
11/17/2012  8:42 AM
Nalod wrote:Knicks were "Grumpy old men" last nite!

True but there were a ton of ridiculous calls. The team lost their cool last night big time but hopefully a learning experience.

Bring on the Pacers.

Blue & Orange 4 Life!
Gymkata
Member: #3169

11/17/2012  9:05 AM
The Grizz are legit. Z-Bo and Gasol are absolute loads underneath. Still, feel like we can run with them.
"I can not say all the secrets."
dk7th
Member: #4228
USA
11/17/2012  9:21 AM
i think it's fine for melo to guard gasol. but he didn't guard him properly, didn't three-quarter or front gasol. when you are outweighed that much and the guy is taller this is the only way you can defend. if the ball gets in there in spite of this techniques you just tip your hat and move on. on the tech play melo was behind gasol under the rim.

if he is to be the leader that everyone wants him to be he has to do what his coach asks him to do even if he dislikes it and not allow a made basket to get under his skin.

on another note hubie brown noted several times that felton did not recognize mismatches presented to him quickly enough, most of all when melo had a mismatch. poor court vision and/or slow recognition will be an achilles heel against elite defensive teams like memphis.

the knicks played great in the first half-- i loved their intensity-- but when the pressure ratcheted up they went iso a bit too much, and when the cracks appeared it did not take long for the team to implode.

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

11/17/2012  10:23 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/17/2012  10:25 AM
Vmart wrote:I understand that the Knicks were winning with this lineup but for this game the Knicks really needed to have Melo play the SF position. Maybe start Wallace at PF or KT. Fatigue was definitely a factor in this game. Atleast they split vs two very good teams.

The defense will suck with Melo at the 3. Its hard to find the perfect forward to compliment him. Knicks are going to have to be unselfish and go with match ups to make it work. That means sometimes Melo at the 3 sometimes at the 4
Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
TeamBall

11/17/2012  10:24 AM
dk7th wrote:i think it's fine for melo to guard gasol. but he didn't guard him properly, didn't three-quarter or front gasol. when you are outweighed that much and the guy is taller this is the only way you can defend. if the ball gets in there in spite of this techniques you just tip your hat and move on. on the tech play melo was behind gasol under the rim.

if he is to be the leader that everyone wants him to be he has to do what his coach asks him to do even if he dislikes it and not allow a made basket to get under his skin.

on another note hubie brown noted several times that felton did not recognize mismatches presented to him quickly enough, most of all when melo had a mismatch. poor court vision and/or slow recognition will be an achilles heel against elite defensive teams like memphis.

the knicks played great in the first half-- i loved their intensity-- but when the pressure ratcheted up they went iso a bit too much, and when the cracks appeared it did not take long for the team to implode.

I watched that match-up closely for a bit during the game trying to figure out what possible advantage Woody could have seen. Melo tried a few times to front him or at least get to the side of him but Gasol was doing a great job sealing him off.
Solace
Alba Posts: 20
Member: #479
USA
11/17/2012  10:35 AM
So, the officiating was absolutely atrocious last night. That was one of the worst officiated games I've seen in a long time. Christ, at one point, they missed THREE calls in a row, all against us. I do think Memphis was the better team last night, but that game should've been much much closer. The Knicks were taken out of the game by poor calls, leaving us in foul trouble, extremely quick triggers on technicals, incorrect grants of possession to Memphis, and even missing a clear above the cylinder which should've been waived off instead of 2 points for Memphis. If I'm the Knicks, I'm petitioning the league to review that game, because that was unacceptably poor.

I don't like that we didn't get into an offensive flow, but we were outmatched. This is where Amar'e would be useful, and also one of the few teams where Melo should not be playing the 4.

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
11/17/2012  10:54 AM
good win for Memphis and the Knicks kept fighting. If you lose 20 games you might have the best record in the NBA. These typess of scheduled games are the reason why. No worries. Win on Sunday
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Game Thread: Knicks vs. Grizz on the road for one more Test

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy